Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

To celebrate the holiday season, a charitable donation in your name has been made to The Human Fund!

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN tonight, Prime Time Sports with guest host Jeff Blair, from 4-7pm:

4:00 Tim & Sid, Sportsnet 590
4:20 Sam Mitchell, former Raptors coach
5:00 Roundtable with Damien Cox, John Shannon, and Elliotte Friedman

On TSN Radio 1050, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski

TBA

On TSN at 5pm, & TSN2 at 6:30pm, Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Chael Sonnen, UFC Middleweight
The Best of the Year

Tonight on Sportsline:

We chat NBA. Will the Mavericks repeat as champions, how motivated are the Heat, who has the best team in Los Angeles and how many games will the Raptors win?
Join Mark Hebscher & Bubba O’Neil, tonight at 7 on CHCH

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 13
  • comment-avatar
    Another Steve 9 years ago

My Christmas Toronto media wish: that 590 gets rid of the old prospector, Angelo Viola, and that the station finds something more interesting to run on Saturday mornings.

• comment-avatar

That Saturday morning show seems so out of place on TheFan.

Listening to Tim and Sid on the pre-roundtable, I wonder if they can rotate hosts from other shows as guests for the roundtable just to freshen it up a bit. Having guys like Shannon, Perkins, Deacon and Kirke what seems to be every other week gets pretty dull. IMO The fan has a very strong hosting lineup right now, hearing the likes of Sid or Tim or Brady I think would be an improvment. They don’t have to be on at the same time, you can rotate them but I think the roundtable needs some fresh voices.

I’d like to hear Brady exchange ideas with McCown, or Sid talking with Brunt on mulitiple issues, or the battle of the bald between Tim and Damo.

Another Steve 9 years ago

Good points Rome.

For me PTS and the round-table are like comfort food. I will likely stay with it, even though I have started turning to 1050 now and again when the PTS segment seems dull.

However, as you noted, PTS could be so much better. I would like to see people like Brady, Wilner, or Tim and Sid on the roundtable every now and again. I realize that not everyone likes Brady or Wilner, but I think that they have both been extremely well informed whenever they have appeared on other shows, including PTS (when Bob is away).

I often wonder how much McCown has to do with this set pattern of people. Krystal used to appear on McCown’s show and basically fawn over McCown to an extent that was almost nauseating. I wouldn’t expect Wilner, Brady, or Tim/Sid to do that, although they would certainly be respectful. I would guess that maybe McCown doesn’t want people on the air with him who know more than he does, but that wouldn’t explain Brunt, so perhaps it’s just a personality thing – the F.O.B. situation that so many have mentioned.

• comment-avatar

I think realistically, you can’t have Brady on PTS since it’d be stretching out his day and it’d be unfair for him to wake up at 4am or whenever he has to wake up to get ready for his show and then leave the Rogers office at 7pm…

I’m personally fine with the rotating cast of news people, I just wish Shannon wasn’t guaranteed for every single one :\ It leaves only one spot free most of the time for everybody else and means less variety of combinations :\

• comment-avatar

That should be “Rogers building” not office xD

• comment-avatar

I suspect that since Bob is their highest rating host by a mile, Bob gets to talk to whoever he wants to, and if you’re not a FOB, that’s that…who knows, it is likely contractual who his co-hosts are, ..

I’ve not given up on PTS yet, but I listen about half what I did 2 years ago. Brunt is the only one I try to listen for, the others, especially Shannon, just doesn’t interest me. I’ve tried 1050, and they are better since Mackowycz, but some days it sounds like Mohawk radio, or maybe I’m getting old…

Bob’s getting a new contract as we speak, likely his bigge$t and last, (60 in May) and since he has a 10 share, I wouldn’t expect any changes.

• comment-avatar

What’s the deal with this Cabbie guy they had filling in with arthur today? I stayed with it most of the afternoon since Arthur was on, but, having never heard the guy before, it was a chore.

Martin 9 years ago

Too bad Joey Vendetti (sp) could not be on The Fan more often as he usually brings a good selection of guests when he does…..

Jamally 9 years ago

OMG – anyone listen to Jeff Blair make Hanukkah/Jewish jokes during the Monday roundtable? It was awkward and borderline offensive and you could tell Wilner and Shannon (who said to move on at one point) were uncomfortable.

Was he dunk during this? A bad comedian? Or just a complete a-hole?

And I usually like Jeff Blair.

• comment-avatar

It seems like whenever Vendetta fills in, it’s always the same celebrities. I think I’ve heard him have David Boreanaz every time he’s filled in for Blair in the last year or so.

Barry 9 years ago

Vendetta has had everyone from John Collins the COO of the NHL to Mark Cuban on this week…if he wants to have his buddy Boreanaz on every time he fills in so what…sports radio has the SAME non celebrities every week….it’s called a “regular”

James 9 years ago

You mean scott boras(sp)? like possibly the top agent in all of pro sports?

Good god if he does have him every time that’s simply amazing.

Vendettas contacts are incredible and make him a huge asset, he has better guests than any radio or tv show in Canada and most in the the states.

James 9 years ago

Cabbie is a hilarious and very fun sports personality who very simply rocks. He was on the score previously as probably their top personality, I guess if you are under 40 you’d know him.

He did tons of interviews and such with people like Kobe Bryant, and by interviews I mean harassing him and getting rides in his limo and stuff, as well as having an epic rivalry with Jerry d.

Definitely in my top 3 Canadian sports personalities, if only for his humor. I remember him “accosting” michael Jordan at some golf event and conning him into a hug in front of a crowd of fans,…great stuff.

He’s a semi regular guest of dean blundell on the edge, who is I think an honorary member of team unit actually.