Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN tonight, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown from 4-7pm. John Shannon co-hosts from 5-7pm:

4:00 Michael Hiestand, USA Today
4:20 Doug Smith, Toronto Star
5:00 Bob Kravitz, Indianapolis Star
5:20 Scott Mitchell, president, Hamilton Tiger-Cats
6:00 Glenn Healy, HNIC
6:20 Bob Nicholson, Hockey Canada
6:40 Stan Kasten, former president of the Braves & the Nationals

On TSN Radio 1050, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski from 4-7pm:

430 – Sherman Hamilton (Raptors NBA TV)
500 – Fab 5 at 5
515 – Don Hay (Head Coach, Team Canada at the World Jr’s)
530 – Bob McKenzie (TSN Hockey Insider)
545 – Steve Johnson – possible – (WR, Buffalo Bills)
600 – Darren Dreger (TSN Hockey Insider)
615 – Keyshawn Johnson (ESPN/TSN 1050 NFL Analyst)
630 – Chris Rudge (Pan AM Games Bid Committee)

Tonight on Sportsline:

Should hockey fans be shocked that Canada will not play for gold at the WJHC, has the Maple Leafs PK really improved, is Seattle a good home for the Phoenix Coyotes, do Andy Reid & Norv Turner deserve to keep their jobs and why doesn’t Serena Williams love tennis? Join Mark Hebscher & Bubba O’Neil, tonight at 7 on CHCH

Darren
Darren
January 4, 2012 5:04 pm

Great, Shannon is on the rest of this week, seriously does PTS not care what the audience likes and hates, or is it basically Bob and friends, i:e Shannon/Deacon (rountable), Cox?

Dok
Dok
January 4, 2012 5:42 pm

Guess it depends on the audience, I like Shannon most of the time, he can bring another thought process to a lot of things. Seems when an episode gets knocked around here, I enjoy it. The more roundtables/chat segments the better. For the most part guests bring the show down

Darren
Darren
January 4, 2012 5:45 pm

IMO Shannon brings nothing to any discussion unless it is about Hockey/Broadcasting. Unfortunately for my ears right now the topic is Peyton Manning, he is such an idiot. IMO

Sam
Sam
January 4, 2012 5:49 pm

The problem (or a problem) with Shannon is that he doesn’t just shut up when he should. Kirke, at least, only speaks when spoken to.

Darren
Darren
January 4, 2012 6:09 pm

Man do I get sick of McCown constantly running the outdoor game down. I myself am a hockey fan and have always been. I look forward to the game and always enjoy, in fact it is one game where I don’t find myself channel surfing, it sells out everywhere it is, the ratings are better than any other game of the year and the players love it, I just don’t see what the problem is.

(Another) Andrew
(Another) Andrew
January 4, 2012 7:00 pm

Yes, Bob says the same thing every year about the Winter Classic. Also when talking about US Olympic coverage with Michael Hiestand he repeated what he’s said in at least two shows in the past. Nevertheless, I listened to the whole show today for the first time in months so obviously I thought it was OK. Shannon was better than usual.

I think Tim & Sid are working out well in the afternoon.

Darren
Darren
January 4, 2012 7:03 pm

I agree about Tim & Sid, I wonder how long before the start simulcasting on Sportsnet One?

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
January 4, 2012 7:38 pm

maybe Rogers should rebrand SN1 as Sportnet the Fan 590 TV. and just have a 24hr radio TV channel.

Darren
Darren
January 4, 2012 7:56 pm

That is a good idea, it would be better than 99% of the crap that they have on there now. Besides the Blu Jays/PTS and the odd NBA game the rest is garbage.

January 4, 2012 10:06 pm

a few oddities i encountered while catching up on podcasts from the winter break:

– Gareth Wheeler interviewing Lester Munson. There’s a pairing i never thought i would hear. Bless the fellow for his efforts, but TSN needs to give their heads a shake for allowing that to go to air.

– Blair throwing around the word “pussy” while chatting with Tim&Sid on PTS. It’s like they never left the Score. Throw in some masturbation jokes and we’re almost all the way back.

Alex
Alex
January 5, 2012 12:02 am

I think the last 2 days were good days to have Shannon on, to talk Winter Classic “inside baseball.” I’m sure Brunt would be just as capable as discussing it, but not from a TV executive perspective.

Did Bob ever mention that the ratings were likely down this year due in part to last year’s game being in Prime Time? Yesterday, I kept hearing the ratings were good but not great, but today on Bob’s show, doom and gloom.

It was also funny hearing Bob’s Ohio State bias regarding the Winter Classic being in the Big House and maybe having it at the Horseshoe.

Another Steve
Another Steve
January 5, 2012 12:49 am

Mike,

I think that’s a bit of selective listening (re: Tim and Sid), to be honest. Usually I notice that kind of stuff, but I have found Tim and Sid to be rather refreshing (and not vulgar at all).

Anyway, that’s just my point of view. I simply haven’t heard a lot of offensive stuff from them. Also, what I am happiest about, with respect to Tim and Sid, is that I haven’t heard them take phone calls, which I think is great.

So if I happen to be in the car around mid-day I now find myself looking forward to 1pm.

January 5, 2012 7:54 am

Agreed Steve — i wasn’t suggesting that the show is particularly crass — it isn’t — but rather that you don’t usually hear the word “pussy” during PTS. I’m actually surprised Ami or others didn’t bring it up here. It’s a pretty taboo word.

another oddity from the break: Sam Mitchell referring to Blair as “Chuck” for a whole interview, despite Blair’s indirect efforts to correct him. Intentional?

January 5, 2012 8:28 am

last one: Wilner/Blair referred to a Toronto baseball media member who “won’t appear on this station” … it’s either Lott or Griffin, most likely the latter. If so, I wonder what happened, since he used to be on with Bob fairly often.

Chef Mike in Burlington
January 5, 2012 10:32 am

I suspect it’s Giffin as well, if you read his columns over the past few months about the Jays, he’s been critical over their lack of transperancy and lack of general openness, and AA’s “building the right way” bullshit..

January 5, 2012 11:58 am

Yes, it was quite amusing to hear Sam Mitchell call Blair “Chuck” several times over the course of a 10 minute conversation

Blair is not the only one who has used the word “pussy” on PTS………….McCown has done it many times over the last few years

I think Tim & Sid have been decent so far but I definitely haven’t been overwhelmed by them……………..I kept hearing how entertaining they were on their Score podcast (I never listened to one) but I don’t know if that has translated yet to their radio show……………….however I do like the fact that they take very few phone calls (if any)

January 5, 2012 2:34 pm

“It would not surprise me that he won’t come on anymore unless he can ask the hard questions of the right people, and many of those questions I suspect Rogers doesn’t want asked…”

Greg Brady is probably more critical of the Jays and their direction than any other Toronto sports media member. He works for Rogers.

Did you hear Gregg Zaun’s criticism of the Jays for not going after Prince the day after the Yu Darvish thing? On the same show, I believe it was Brunt and Blair who pointed out that with a payroll as low as the Jays is likely to be in 2012, there’s no good reason not to take a run at a guy like Prince.

Point is – I think it’s smart to be on the lookout for Rogers censoring criticism, but if you listen to the opinions given, it really doesn’t appear to be an issue at this point.

Rome
Rome
January 5, 2012 2:34 pm

I think Tim and Sid are doing fine, not exactly there podcast, but it’s pretty close.

I think it’s Griffin, I think it started with the Darvish thing, Griffin wrote the Jays were close with 50-million but then most people thought the Jays were not even close. I think the Jays might have thrown that to Griffin to help the PR when the fans were getting upset that the Darvish thing didn’t happen. Griffin found his spine after being lied to and is much bigger push back towards the Jays since.

January 5, 2012 2:36 pm

Hm, Griffin seems to appear regularly on both 590 and 1050… I don’t think it’s him.

I didn’t hear the conversation in question, but maybe they meant someone like Scott Ferguson, who actually works for TSN? I’m not aware of any feuds..

January 5, 2012 2:39 pm

Rome – I think the issue is that the Jays haven’t been throwing info around to anyone. This has lead to more speculation than usual, which had left the fanbase feeling kind of teased.

Blair has come out and said that JP Riccardi used to tell him what he was going to do, but that he gets nothing from AA.

Personally, as a fan, I don’t mind if AA wants to be tight lipped, if that allows him to complete trades that might be otherwise compromised (as he claims). He (or really Beeston) could do a better job of managing expectations though.

January 5, 2012 2:41 pm

Mike S – Yeah, I like what I’ve heard of Tim and Sid, but having listened to their podcast, it’s clear they’re not quite at the same level of comfort as they were.

I think that’s probably to be expected in starting a new show though. Blair really stood out to me as someone who got much better after a month or two. I think Tim/Sid has a lot of potential.

January 5, 2012 3:40 pm

DANIEL – i was hoping you’d chime in since you follow these things pretty closely. It’s my impression that Griffin has not appeared on the FAN since the summer, while he is on TSN’s Hayes show weekly or more. I’d have to go back and check, but i’m really confident that he has not been on the FAN in a while. His departure coincided (i think) with an increase in Elliott appearances. Maybe someone can tweet @Griff and ask him directly.

The conversation in question was from before new year’s sometime — 28th or 29th maybe? I just deleted the podcast so I can’t recall.

Plenty of Rogers employees are critical of the Jays’ spending. Bob has been calling them cheap for a few years now, and Zaunie ripped them pretty heavily, as Daniel points out. If it’s Griff, it’s a personal issue with someone at the FAN.

Chef Mike in Burlington
January 5, 2012 5:20 pm

Well, Daniel and Boston Mike, we meet again… I still think it’s Griffin, he’s pissed he got played for free non-Rogers PR during the Darvish thing, throwing out the big number on faith from someone near AA…

“Plenty of Rogers employees are critical of the Jays’ spending. Bob has been calling them cheap for a few years now, and Zaunie ripped them pretty heavily…”

Again guys, remember that even the communist governments in the 80’s and 90’s of USSR and CHINA had designated “complainers” or “agitators” who could say/leak things no one else usually could. They were used as a way to publicise some very minor goverment change or policy, a change or policy that usually meant in real terms to the system. They presented the illusion of dissent, so don’t get all excited and think you’re actually hearing real dissention in the Rogers family.

lt’s not about just complaining at 7:15am out loud to a radio audience in December in the middle of super busy Christmas news cycle, it’s also about when you complain, to who you do it, what questions are asked, what setting they are asked in and how much gravitas and audience the person asking has.

Cynical though it may be, I doubt very highly that even BobCat, as arrogant as has he can be, will ever press AA live on radio for a real answer on the Darvish bid (still a bad idea anyway) in mid-seaon after has has won his 8th game for Texas and the Jays were 8 games out by May.

One big “partnership” has total/partial ownership of every significant sports team in this city. They also own both significant radio sports stations and all the sports TV stations, so if you want a job, or to keep your job, if the “chill” isn’t already out there, it’s coming for sure…

Ami Angelwings
January 5, 2012 11:26 pm

January 5, 2012 at 7:54 am

What? o_O What’s going on? o: I was busy xD

I didn’t hear it. Who said that? I only half listened to last night’s PTS because Shannon was on and I was distracted with other things.

I would prefer them not to use that word, but occasionally I know they slip up. I wouldn’t bring it up here because I just assume it won’t happen again for a while until somebody else slips up, though I’d still cringe whenever I hear it used. xD

However, if Bob goes back into the stuff he went into back during the Ines Sainz incident, I’d be getting pretty angry. xD

Ami Angelwings
January 5, 2012 11:27 pm

To people annoyed about Bob saying the exact same stuff about the Winter Classic each year, or the way Americans broadcast the Olympics (it shocked me when I found out they don’t get it live honestly a few years ago listening to PTS), the only solution to that would be to not bring up the topics again. As long as those things don’t change, I don’t see why Bob’s opinion would change.

Ami Angelwings
January 5, 2012 11:29 pm

My issue with Shannon is a) he is out of his depth in many other non-hockey sports b) in hockey issues he goes too much into “appeal to authority” with himself as the “authority” (basically he goes like “no no Damien, trust me, I KNOW”) and c) he’s not funny but he THINKS he is.

His jokes make me cringe so often and I hate that he laughs at them. -_-

And he has a bit of a whiny tone when he wants to win an argument like “c’mon Bob, seriously! SERIOUSLY!”

January 6, 2012 12:18 am

“Again guys, remember that even the communist governments in the 80′s and 90′s of USSR and CHINA had designated “complainers” or “agitators” who could say/leak things no one else usually could. They were used as a way to publicise some very minor goverment change or policy, a change or policy that usually meant in real terms to the system. They presented the illusion of dissent, so don’t get all excited and think you’re actually hearing real dissention in the Rogers family. ”

I think you might be giving them a bit too much credit here!

Bobby G
Bobby G
January 6, 2012 12:19 am

I didn’t hear the conversation in question but I believe Griffin and Wilner had a falling out a while ago. Can’t remember the cause. It’s likely that Griffin won’t appear on the station when Wilner is the host/co-host.

Ami Angelwings
January 6, 2012 2:41 am

Who isn’t feuding with Wilner? o_O