Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

Former Blues GM Ron Caron passed away today at the age of 82. Caron was always an interesting interview.

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN tonight, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown from 4-7pm. Elliotte Friedman co-hosts from 5-7pm:

400 – Jeff Blair, Sportsnet
420 – Michael Whan, LPGA commissioner
520 – Nick Kypreos, Sportsnet
540 – George Cortez, new Tiger-Cats head coach
600 – Joe DeLamielleure, former Bills OL
620 – Ken Dryden, former Montreal Canadiens goalie

On TSN Radio 1050, Cybuloski & Co., with James Cybulski from 4-7pm. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

415 – Demetri Martin (Comedian – in Toronto on Friday)
430 – James Duthie (NHL on TSN)
445 – Dan Shulman (TSN 1050 Baseball Analyst/ESPN)
500 – Fab 5
515 – Bob McKenzie (TSN Hockey Insider)
530 – Adam Carolla (adamcarolla.com)
600 – Countdown to Faceoff: Jonas Siegel (TSN 1050) and Darren Dreger (TSN Hockey Insider)
630 – Steve Simmons (Sun Media and TSN The Reporters)

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Adam Carolla, Actor/Comedian
Rob Ray and Jamie McLennan

Tonight on Sportsline:

TBA

Alex
Alex
January 10, 2012 5:20 pm

This first segment with Bob and Friedman has been pretty entertaining. Not the usual 5:00 blathering segment. It’s almost Friedman interviewing Bob.

Again, it’s easy to tell who Bob does and doesn’t like when they are in the studio and/or the co-host chair.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
January 10, 2012 5:24 pm

Agree, very relaxed and entertaining. Wish they could drop the names of who won’t take their calls, more on the Friedman side.

January 10, 2012 5:28 pm

Great to hear Friedman as guest co-host on PTS………….I wish it would happen more often but he has a busy schedule so I understand why it doesn’t

It was interesting that Dave Zirin (Edge of Sports) was a guest on 590 today only 15 minutes after he appeared on 1050…………..he appears weekly on Hayes’ show so I was a bit surprised to hear him on the show that competes directly with Hayes

mario
mario
January 10, 2012 5:58 pm

Agreed…Friedman and Bob were great to listen to together.just wish it could happen more often..even Kypreos was good with them.. just to get more of the inter working on the radio/tv side was interesting..could see Friedman making his way back to Rogers/Fan at some point in the not to distant future with all the change in the broadcasting side would be great…

alex
alex
January 10, 2012 6:22 pm

Given all the migration from hnic to rogers, and with morrison running the hockey content, it would make sense.0

January 10, 2012 7:40 pm

hey Raptors Devotee (or anyone) – can you recommend a decent Raptors blog? I’m going to try to take an interest in the team this year. I’ve tried Raptors Republic in the past but couldn’t get past the writing.

itchy butt
itchy butt
January 10, 2012 7:49 pm

Boy, Bob really had a lot of disdain in his voice when he talked about Wilner tonight. Must be some real hate going on.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
January 10, 2012 9:22 pm

Hi Mike, I like Raptors Republic myself and my second go to Raptors site is raptorshq.com plus I also used to like Scott Carefoot who had his own Raptors blog that was very humerous but now that he is at The Score he has gone more mainstream, thus losing his edge. He does post on and off I find but have lost track of him.

Of course you can go to thescore.com/nba and check out The Basketball Jones, who have also gone mainstream at The Score, but Tas and Skeets still do a pretty good show, both on The Score and via their blogs. Keep in mind that they cover the entire NBA, so although you will get some Raptors coverage, it is limited there.

There are other ones that I check out but they aren’t as good so am reluctant to recommend them. T

kyle
kyle
January 10, 2012 9:32 pm

I, too, enjoyed the 5:00 segment. Some good inside stories without getting too inside. just a relaxed conversation, no yucks, no one-upsmanship, no trying to prove you’re right

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
January 10, 2012 9:53 pm

The Ken Dryden segment is must listening btw. Is he articulate and passionate about the game and the effect that concussions are having, both in the NHL and all the other leagues where hockey is played. Kudos to Bob for calling out Bettman, who has put his head in the sand on this issue in the same way that baseball did with regards to steroid use.

January 10, 2012 10:01 pm

thanks RD — i’ll check out your suggestions. I like the depth of RR’s coverage, i just find the writing a little too affected … but that’s just me.

while i have you: i was listening to S. Hamilton (i think … the guy from NBA TV?) being interviewed and the question was “what’s wrong with Ed Davis?” His answer was along the lines of “he’s put on a lot of muscle and i’m really excited to see how he learns to play with his new body!” Obviously this was a complete dodge of the question, and an over the top positive gloss on what has been a pretty terrible performance so far (from what i can gather). From a casual observer’s standpoint, it seems that the people who cover the Raptors are almost entirely cheerleaders for the team. I’m thinking in particular of Armstrong and E. Smith. Do you agree? Is there anyone, in your opinion, who is objective in their coverage of what has been an abysmal team during Colangelo’s reign?

alex
alex
January 10, 2012 10:31 pm

I dont think the count has his head in the sand.

I rhink he belueves that hockwey needs the violence and fighting to stay even as relevant as it is, esp in the us.

Much like the nfl, the players are disposable cogs, e,cept for a rare few like sidney in the nhl and the star qb in the nfl.

Mike
Mike
January 10, 2012 10:50 pm

PTS was good today… The opening segment with JEFF BLAIR and McCown was good to talking Barry Larkin. It was funny during the segment when McCown ripped on Mike Wilner. Wilner had stated recently on The Fan that almost 80% of MLB Players use some form of steroids. McCown basically said that was bs and that Wilner was a idiot. The way in which he did it was legit not kidding around about Wilner. Friedman even brought up Former Fan 590 & NewsTalk 1010 Talk Show Host SPIDER JONES in the segment Bob. Interesting….

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
January 10, 2012 10:59 pm

Hey Mike, yeah, if you are looking for objective Raptors coverage I can break down my thoughts on a fair number of the MSM’ers and bloggers that cover the team, starting with the ones you mentioned.

Sherman Hamilton – Yes, he is on Raptors TV, which I don’t take the time to watch much, as I prefer to get my Raptors coverage from the blogs, and certain Raptors MSM writers who I respect, and will get to. Sherm never rips players, even if they deserve it, and does put a positive spin on things, even when there is none. I happen to like him when he is on, as he is a positive guy, and if he did not get too down on Ed Davis in his comments, who btw has taken a major step back this year, it is only because he doesn’t want to throw the kid under the bus, as he is feeling a ton of pressure now to produce under Casey. Keep in mind he was a #13 pick, so its not like he was supposed to be an All-Star, just a contributing player. Davis was pretty lean, and he did need to bulk up or he would be physically dominated on the court, so in this case Sherm does have a point.

Eric Smith I like as a play-by-play guy and he has been following Raptors for ages, in fact, he used to be the Raptors correspondant who came on Sportsline with Jim Tatti many years ago breaking down the Raptors. While I would not consider him a yes man, like Sherm, he knows where his bread is buttered, and is reluctant ot rip players as well, and if so, does it diplomatically. Eric’s partner on air, Paul Jones, is a 100% apologist for the Raps though. I had a big debate with him on how he gave Colangelo a B+ for a grade a few years ago when he deserved an F. Nice huy, I like him too, but you won’t get much of an honest assessment out of him on the players.

Jack Armstrong, who I absolutely love, is far from a yes man actually. He calls players out and is not shy to do it, likely more than anybody else in the MSN that closely connected to the team. I have a ton of respect for Jack, and can’t imagine him not being a part of the teams coverage.

Now that I have covered the ones you pointed out I can break down the rest.

Bruce Arthur – Extremely eloquent, witty, and doesn’t mince words on the Raptors. He used to be the National Post’s Raptors beat writer, but now, it is hard to get a lot out of him on the Raptors.

Tim Chisholm – Writes for TSN, again, like Bruce, extremely articulate and knowledgable on the Raptors as well. I read as much of him as I can find.

Michael Grange – Sportsnet, who used to write a fantastic Raptors blog called ‘From Deep’ when he was at the Globe. He calls it like it is as well, and even said the best thing for the Raptors this year was to tank, and I agree, for which he took a ton of heat for.

Ryan Wolstat – Toronto Sun. Has not been around long but I like his writing and is very candid on the Raptors as well.

The names above, as part of the MSM, are pretty good about calling out the Raptors for what they are, and have been, a really, really bad basketball team for far too many years.

While I read them, it is in the blogs where I get the most satisfaction, as players get ripped, and applauded as well, when deserved, with no sugarcoating whatsoever. If you want to get a pulse for the hardcore Raptor fans an what is going on with the team, they are the must go to sites.

One blogger, dinonationblog.com is not well read, but the blogger there, James, does a good job of also calling it like it is. If you can get past the purple, it is worth reading.

The Raps future does look pretty good next year, now that they have a proper coach in place, a #5 draft pick, Jonas Valanaciunas, a centre who looks like a player coming in, a hopefully solid draft pick in a monster draft year, cap money, the amnesty to use, and Colangelo seems to be running things well for now.

Hope this helps Mike, RD.

Another Steve
Another Steve
January 10, 2012 11:38 pm

It’s too bad that someone doesn’t say that McCown is an idiot about certain things, although I am sure that a lot of them must think it. I think he doesn’t like Wilner because Wilner knows facts and stuff, and that he doesn’t coast on the fact that he is a golf-buddy of Beeston.

I heard him say that he spent Jan 1st at Andrew Krystal’s house, which is the perfect example of why McCown is a horrible GM, since it was his brilliant idea to bring Krystal to 590. It must really bother him that Tim and Sid are working rather well.

I also heard McCown pat himself on the back tonight about how he has always been free to be critical of people/teams. I thought: well, he is critical, at least until they come on his show and then he becomes suddenly obsequious/fawning.

January 11, 2012 12:37 am

I think you guys are reading too much into the Wilner comment. It sounded exactly like how McCown rips on basically everyone (ex: “turn the mic on, idiot” etc to every cohost)..

That said, seems pretty clear he doesn’t like having Wilner on the show.

January 11, 2012 1:15 am

Totally agree with you guys on Friedman. He’s excellent. Having Brunt and Friedman alternate as PTS cohosts would probably be the ideal.

Their chat at 5pm was really great listening if you have an interest in sports radio/sports media. Some funny old Fan stories etc.

January 11, 2012 1:18 am

Also – why don’t we hear Grange on PTS anymore? Him and Blair together weren’t quite right, but I think he’s good with McCown. Would be a better backup cohost/roundtable fixture than Shannon.

January 11, 2012 1:42 am

I’m glad McCown criticized Wilner for his “80% of ball players were on performance enhancing drugs” comment…………….when Wilner said it he was trying to say that the steroid era in baseball was a level playing field because just about everyone was using them……………he actually said that 80% was a conservative number and it was probably closer to 90% or 95%……………that is a bold statement but it is not supported by much evidence

Ami Angelwings
January 11, 2012 4:56 am

I’d love to hear Wilner and Bob have an actual real debate/argument about the hall of fame (and other topics), especially somebody like Jack Morris. Not because I think Wilner is always right (though I lean towards him on this topic) but because I want to hear the debate, and the arguments. I want to hear Bob have to justify “you just know by watching” vs Wilner not just pointing out stats but that Bob’s memory is tricking him and he’s only remembering a couple starts. I’d love to hear them arguing about whether or not catchers really call games, or how important a closer is… and a REAL debate where they act like they would if the other was a caller, not the way hosts seem to treat each other when they’re together (Blair was a great example today, he basically chose not to argue with Bob even though we’ve heard him make the opposite arguments with passion against callers), I want to hear Wilner really point out to Bob that stats tell you what happened the way he would if it wasn’t Bob McCown but Bob from Toronto… and Bob fight back with just as much passion 🙂

I think it would be informative and entertaining… as long as they don’t take it home with them… cuz I don’t want two hosts I like to actually have a personal rift just for my entertainment :\

Ami Angelwings
January 11, 2012 4:59 am

I suspect that Bob’s issue with Wilner btw, if he HAS one, is that when it comes to baseball, Wilner is the smartest person in the room, and I’m not sure it’s possible for Wilner to NOT come off as condescending, snarky and dismissive if he disagrees with somebody about baseball, and doesn’t respect them (that’s the key… does Wilner see Bob like Keri, Blair and Davidi?) I love Wilner because he has that confidence, but I also get why it can be so frustrating, and I kind of am put off (as much as I can be put off by Wilner xD ) when he just outright dismisses fans because they’re fans, and if he does it with Bob, I can imagine that Bob would be pretty angry.

alex
alex
January 11, 2012 5:53 am

Btw, i read an article last week that debunks the jack morris “pitching to the score” meme thar pro-morris people always throw out.

January 11, 2012 8:54 am

thanks for the breakdown RD — i don’t share your impression of Jack Armstrong, but admittedly I tuned him out a year or two ago. maybe i’ll try to give him a fresh listen this season. I’ll also check out Chisholm … i didn’t even know TSN had a Raptors guy.

Chef Mike in Burlington
January 11, 2012 12:31 pm

Ami you are entirely correct, Wilner, despite being an arrogant ass, is the smartest baseball person in the room where ever he goes, and Bobcat is not known for humility, admitting Wilner could be right is beyond him.

I also find Wilner “condescending, snarky and dismissive”. If you aren’t as “baseball smart” as him, or dare to have an opinion based on emotion, or aren’t a diehard Jays fan, then you are irrelavant to him.

As much as I’ve been well educated here on what AA is doing to find those 10+ wins they need to compete in August, baseball guys like Wilner keep me from the ballpark. Wilner’s patronizing and arrogant approach to frustrated casual fans like me does nothing to get me to a game, and in fact actually drives me away.

KBM
KBM
January 11, 2012 12:44 pm

Wilner’s ongoing employment remains a mystery. As for his grasp of stats, any moron can parrot off a website.

There is a reason he is kept out of the booth, not on PTS, and relegated to taking calls 162 nights a year.

itchy butt
itchy butt
January 11, 2012 1:12 pm

“Wilner keep me from the ballpark. Wilner’s patronizing and arrogant approach to frustrated casual fans like me does nothing to get me to a game, and in fact actually drives me away.”

Why on earth would he keep you away? Just don’t listen to him!

Sam in Oshawa
January 11, 2012 5:00 pm

Wilner can be grating at times but he has an opinion and will not turtle when challenged.I just wish BOB would have been just as tough on that child mollester eric tillman instead of being an fing pussy!At the time of all that going down he punked out by saying he had no opinion of the matter what a COWARD!!!

Andrew
Andrew
January 11, 2012 9:21 pm

RD – Why no mention of Doug Smith?

January 12, 2012 7:04 am

in unexpected news, frequent PTS guest “super agent” Leigh Steinberg filed for bankruptcy.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
January 12, 2012 8:56 am

Andrew, the reason why Doug Smith was not even mentioned by me, even in passing, is due to the complete lack of respect I have for him. He is so far out of my circle of Raptors coverage I would not even know he covers them. I don’t follow him on Twitter, I never read his articles, I never listen to him on PTS, and will immediately turn off the station or switch if he is on.

The reason is quite clear to any hard core Raptor follower. If you look up ass kisser and somebody who will do anything not to upset the apple cart with regards to the Raptors it is Smith. All he does is dismiss any concerns, no matter how legitimate they are, never, and I mean never, calls any players or management out, and basically is a shill for the team. How the Star employs him I have no idea, because you can’t even begin to compare Smith to any of the other credible MSM’ers that I previously posted. I imagine that he gets zero respect from the rest of the Raptors beat reporters, and on the Raptor blogs he is a running joke.

I think you get my reasoning on why Smith was left out. He did not even pop into my head when Mike (Boston) asked me about who to follow for Raptors coverage, that is how far down he is on my scale.