Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

Jonas Gustavsson is gunning for his 5th victory in a row as the Leafs play in Buffalo tonight. No doubt he is hot. The question is whether he will run with this long term, or is this a blip on the radar?

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN tonight, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown:

400 – Phones
500 – Roundtable with McCown, co-host Damien Cox, John Shannon, & Dave Perkins

On TSN Radio 1050

415 – Brian Cooper (S & E Sponsorship Group)
430 – Rob Ford (Mayor of Toronto)
500 – Fab 5
520 – Bob McKenzie (TSN Hockey Insider)
530 – Jay Feaster (General Manager, Calgary Flames)
600 – Darren Dreger (TSN Hockey Insider)
615 – Jesse Palmer (TSN 1050 NFL Analyst)

Countdown to Faceoff

630 – Jonas Siegel (TSN 1050 Leafs Reporter)
645 – Steve Simmons (Sun Media)
700 – Scott MacArthur with Cody Franson
715 – Rob Ray (Sabres Broadcaster)

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Jay Feaster, Calgary Flames GM
Eric Dickerson, NFL Legend
Canadian Army Panel Discussion

Tonight on Sportsline:

Was Pierre Gauthier forced to trade Mike Cammalleri, who will survive the NFL’s divisional playoffs, will the Maple Leafs trade Luke Schenn and after Lamar Odoms wild night, will there be a 2nd Kardashian divorce? Join Bubba O’Neil & Mark Hebscher, tonight at 7 on CHCH.

Alex
Alex
January 13, 2012 5:26 pm

oh dear. Cox Shannon and Perkins.

and is it just me or does it seem like when Bob takes phone calls, its the same few people calling with “an agenda” they want to push (Blue Jays spending seems #1 topic of these people)?

January 13, 2012 5:43 pm

great week of interviews so far (i’m only up to mid-week on podcasts). following the fallout of the realignment fiasco has been great. Kelly, Fehr, and Daly all gave great interviews.

it was fascinating listening to Fehr on both stations. Quick observation: he went out of his way to correct Bob on PTS a couple of times, while he seemed much more relaxed with Cybulski. I’m not sure if that means anything, but there are people who seem to already have their backs up when they appear on PTS and maybe Fehr is one of them. One other note, I thought Damien was surprisingly good during the Fehr interview.

alex
alex
January 13, 2012 6:55 pm

It might be because bob has interviewed fehr a number of times over 30 years snd he knows bobs style, good amd bad.

Steve in Waterloo
Steve in Waterloo
January 13, 2012 7:29 pm

So, listened to the round table go round and round and round about Dion being the most over rated player. They sort of beat the subject to death, I got bored and started thinking about who is the most over rated TSM member?

What do you think TSM – how about a poll for most underrated and most overrated?

itchy butt
itchy butt
January 13, 2012 9:01 pm

Under-rated and over-rated are just too subjective.

I know the WORST, by far, is Buffery.

itchy butt
itchy butt
January 13, 2012 9:18 pm

Sorry…..IMHO, the worst is Buffery :p

Rome
Rome
January 13, 2012 11:40 pm

Over/Underrated can be looked in a couple of ways, either there position/spot on radios totem pole or outside people/fans opinion. I will try to take both into consideration. I know most will hate me for saying this, and remember this is over-rated not awful or even below average, but I have to give it to McCown. He got last January top ranked MSM, I just don’t think he’s there anymore, his ratings are, but not sure about the substance. As for underrated, normally I’d go with Brady, but he’s doing mornings so he’s in a good spot. I am still surprised BArthur isn’t utilized more on TSNR. I think some women are underrated especially Martine and Barb, Martine can talk sports with anybody & always liked Barb’s on air work.

Even though I called McCown overrated he can still do very good stuff and as critical as i was with Anthopoulos answers, McCown asked great questions, but then he had Farrell on last week and I don’t think he asked a questions that was on my mind. What the heck happend with that Red Sox seemingly being intersted in him and Jays changing who he can talk to during it. It never came up, the callers didn’t mention it either. McCown can be inconsistent. He sounded a bit more Jays defensive than normally today while taking calls. I won’t even talk this round table tired of giving FOB chanes, I can’t even stomach mulitiple FOB roundtables anymore

Did anybody catch the CBC Marketplace piece on Cold Fx that Cherry promoted, it says doctors say it does nothing. The highlight was they interviewed Cherry who says “I take it, family friends say it works… I am not interested in what scientists say.” The quote is certainly catches the eye, but more interesting is that CBC would go out of it’s way to put Cherry on the spot like that. I wonder if this CBC with Cherry relationship is on it’s last legs. Credit to Jim Richards to bringing the show to my attention, not sure if was talked about anywhere else.

Rumor has it from Fred from the ol’ Howard and Fred show that TSN is looking to buy 640 signal and move TSNR there. 640 obviously has a much stronger singal than 1050. IMO 640 ratings recently have been embarrassingly poor for a while now especially for a strong signal like that. Not sure how credibile Fred is for things like this, but I have noticed that 640 has been going on the cheap recently (repeats for over a week after Christmas is a recent example) Can’t say I will shed a tear seeing 640 change hands.

Martin
Martin
January 13, 2012 11:45 pm

Concerning TSN1050 moving to AM640 in Montreal TSN990 is moving to AM690 within a month or two for a stronger signal as well…..

January 14, 2012 12:29 am

Here’s the TSN 1050 moving to 640 rumour:

itchy butt
itchy butt
January 14, 2012 5:35 am

Cold FX story

Wow, Cherry is a dope. I hope they put him out to pasture soon.

January 14, 2012 9:56 am

great question Steve, and hopefully TSM can find some time off to address it here.

I don’t listen to the hockey shows very much, but I would be inclined to put Doug Maclean at the top of any overrated list. Suppose he just disappeared from the radio, do you think anyone would miss him?

Underrated: Rick Westhead. Was he even interviewed on TSN or the FAN after his story about the amount of league revenues that come from Canadian based teams? His writing is excellent, and I’d love to hear more from him.

January 14, 2012 3:38 pm

Good point on Rick Westhead..

I’ll say Bryan Hayes was overrated. There seemed to be a sense that he was an up and coming star when he was at 640. (Didn’t TSM write that The Fan even tried to snag Hayes away from 1050 to do afternoons before Tim and Sid?)

But his show has been pretty dull so far. I don’t get the feeling many are listening. Maybe he’s better as a cohost.

As for underrated? Hm. Matt Devlin? He kind of flies under the radar, but I think he’s an excellent PBP guy. I used to think he was boring compared to Swirsky, but now I find him to be MUCH better.

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
January 14, 2012 5:40 pm

I hope TSN radio does move to 640 would be a good spot for it. then flip Hayes and Cybulski. Hayes is closer to Bobcat and Cybulski is closer to Tim and Sid in demo graphic.

Bobby G
Bobby G
January 14, 2012 11:28 pm

Westhead blew it on the Harper-Putin ’72 showdown earlier this week. And he was nowhere to be found when the Bell-Rogers MLSE story actually went down. Actually the entire Star reporting staff was out to lunch on that one. Definitely not underrated.

Ami Angelwings
January 15, 2012 3:24 am

So, so far, Bob wins about his prediction that NE would crush the Denver Tebows, and early… but he was wrong about the Saints beating the 49ers, though I’m sure not in the way Shannon, et al, expected. xD

Ticky
Ticky
January 15, 2012 11:42 am

I just presumed that the most educated of people would have predicted that Tebow and co would get crushed. It was a no-brainer.

alex
alex
January 15, 2012 11:39 pm

It would be funny to have a segment wirh bob and shannon, since both their qbs went down.

January 16, 2012 2:05 am

I realize Duthie gets plenty of accolades (including a Gemini) but I still think he is underrated………………I just think he is fantastic at anything he does…………….Dave Hodge is also underrated………….I have no idea why 1050 never has him on as a guest……………Hodget joined Twitter recently and he is now one of the funniest people on there

I think Kelly Hrudey is a bit overrated to me……………I hear a lot of people saying how good he is but I find him somewhat boring and wishy washy………………….and guys like Brad May and PJ Stock are overrated simply because in my opinion they should not be on television but they are

Ami Angelwings
January 16, 2012 2:33 am

Jamie Campbell’s QB is still alive though! 😀 (he’s also my favourite QB)

January 16, 2012 3:00 pm

cross-posting from a different thread, since there are more people here. from a column by “Houston’s temp”:

“Jay Onrait and Dan O’Toole take their sugar-shock to radio this week, filling in for James Cybulski on TSN Radio 1050 this week. Actually, we think O’Toole mighty be a really effective host if he could just get himself unharnessed from Onrait’s schtick.
Onrait’s TV act is like watching a 12-year-old who’s just eaten all his Halloween candy in 15 minutes. But that might work on radio opposite Bob McCown. This week could be a revelation or totally offensive. Can’t wait.”

I’ve never heard or heard of these two. Can anyone tell me what to expect?

Ami Angelwings
January 16, 2012 3:35 pm

Shouldn’t TSN Radio go out and get people more suited for radio? I know they got some, but it seems mostly what they’re doing is just recycling the guys I see on TV, and they’ve never enthused me that much in the first place (I find the TSN guys pretty boring, I mean they do okay on TV where you can show clips and highlights, but on the radio… with just their voices..?)

robg
robg
January 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Mike, Onrait and O’Toole host TSN’s late evening Sportscenter. Onrait has a quirky sense of humour, while O’Toole could be termed the straight man of the pair, though that isn’t always the case. The first 5 minutes of their show today will give you a flavour for these two.