Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN tonight from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown:

400 – Neil Smith & Phones
500 – Roundtable – joining Bob are Stephen Brunt, John Shannon & Elliott Friedman

On TSN Radio 1050, Cybulski & Co. from 4-7pm, with guest hosts Dan O’Toole & Jay Onrait:

TBA

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record, with guest host Cabral Richards:

Rapper Wale in-studio
Mike Richards, L.A. Kings

Tonight on Sportsline:

Will the Maple Leafs do further damage to the Canadiens playoff chances, should Lebron James be the leader of the Miami Heat, is Evgeni Malkin is best player in the NHL, has Terrell Owens hit rock bottom and can Fausto Carmona be trusted? Join Mark Hebscher & Bubba O’Neil tonight at 7, on CHCH.

Dok
Dok
January 20, 2012 5:08 pm

The more Elliott is on PTS, the more I think that Bob is grooming him to be the next PTS host when Bob is done. I would be shocked if Elliott does not move to Rogers when his CBC deal is done

Bora
Bora
January 20, 2012 5:10 pm

^ I agree and I think he’d be a great choice.

January 20, 2012 5:35 pm

Looking at what’s out there, I’d agree and say Elliott would probably be the best choice for successor to Bob.

I really enjoy hearing him on as cohost. Him alternating with Brunt would be optimal.

January 20, 2012 5:46 pm

I enjoyed Shulman when he was PTS host and Friedman’s style is somewhat similar to Shulman therefore I wouldn’t be opposed to Friedman replacing McCown when he retires……………however I think this is where our friend Julian posts something to the effect of “Friedman is a very good broadcaster and is informative but is not entertaining enough to be the full time host of a show like PTS”

In any event, I think Friedman is quite happy at CBC but if they lose the NHL rights it will be interesting to see where he ends up

alex
alex
January 20, 2012 5:47 pm

I dont recall it being discussed here, bur brunt basically said he’ll be doing less pts this year, when bob brought up the whole “3 co hosts doing 26 weeks” thing earlier in the week.

January 20, 2012 7:01 pm

@ Mike – yeah, you’d definitely have to pair Friedman with someone better than Cox or Shannon. I don’t think he could carry them like McCown does.

itchy butt
itchy butt
January 20, 2012 9:29 pm

I was about to say you are all nuts because I thought you were talking about Bob Elliott! 😀

Pudge72
Pudge72
January 20, 2012 9:46 pm

I’ve been commuting from London to Mississauga the majority of this week, and I need to rant a little bit (in point form…I appreciate any feedback):

– Can Jeff Blair ever, EVER, ask a question without spending 30 – 60 seconds trying to put it into context?!? By the time he finishes, I forget what the original question was. It comes across like he is trying to be too precise in his interviewing.

Switching between him and Dan Patrick highlights Patrick’s strength as an interviewer…i.e. he asks questions, in a relaxed/comfortable manner, in 15 seconds or less and will ask follow up questions if necessary.

– I found it curious/disappointing that the touching audio tribute that Brady/Lang aired this morning (I think it was around 8:15) for Sarah Burke was not properly credited…especially curious since it was actually produced by ESPN (I had heard it the night before, on 1290 CJBK in London, after 7 pm, as they carry ESPN GameNight when the Knights or Red Wings are not playing). Sportsnet seemingly can’t give credit where it’s due if the material is coming from an entity associated with TSN (similar to TSN refusing to air audio clips of the Toronto announcers on the Fan when there are Jays/Raptors game highlights)…

– Could somebody with more of a journalism background please explain the intricacies of booking guests on radio shows? It must be an extremely difficult process as Onrait/O’Toole didn’t seem to have a non-TSN guest on any night this week (I’m mainly referring to Wednesday and today, I wasn’t in the GTA yesterday)!! Was there a back-up producer in place along with the back-up hosts?

So endeth the rant…thank you, and goodnight.

Ami Angelwings
January 21, 2012 3:32 am

When Bob retires, he’s just going to disappear for a while, drink some blood, rejuvenate in his coffin and in 3-5 years he’ll be back in a young new identity and while Blair does PTS full time and Wilner takes over the late morning show, Bob will work his way up from Jays Talk again… don’t worry, you’ll get Bob back on PTS in about 10-15 years 😀

sam in oshawa
sam in oshawa
January 21, 2012 8:29 am

Mr.Magoo hockey sage commented that hall was lucky he was wearing a helmet and visor or the injury could have been a lot worse than it was,what a marroon.

January 21, 2012 9:01 am

Pudge — i agree about Blair’s style, and it’s the main reason i don’t listen to his show. It’s just too painful to sit through the pauses, the ums and ers, and the completely unnecessary sentences. I disagree with you that this is all part of an attempt to be precise. I think it’s the consequence of having a person with little broadcasting training on the air. Blair could probably improve, and he might well work it out over the next several years, but as you note, the contrast between him and a professional broadcaster is quite stark.

January 21, 2012 9:10 am

for those of you who listened to the 4pm hour of PTS on thursday (and for Bob, who we know checks in here regularly): the first couple of calls were critical of Bob for being soft on AA and Burke when they were in studio. Bob held it together for a little bit but then responded to the criticism by saying “if you can do better send in your resume!” and “i don’t call you at work, you call me!”. This was pretty embarrassing — rather than deal with the criticism and explain what it’s like to have guests in studio, Bob threw a temper tantrum. I guess the criticism had some bite to it.

My own humble opinion is that Bob did well with AA, and was effectively brow-beaten by Burke. AA has a policy of not commenting, so you know what you’re going to get. He’s also not responsible for setting the payroll, so those questions are a waste of time. Bob needs to have Beeston on soon to face the music about the lack of signings.

Burke, on the other hand, controlled the interview and was able to give his “rats” rant and his “requiem for Colton Orr” without any pushback from the host. I hope Bob takes the time to sit down and review the interview and recognize where “Burkie” was able to bully him around.

Ami Angelwings
January 21, 2012 6:08 pm

I understand Bob being upset because it wasn’t that somebody criticized his opinion, it was somebody saying he was bad at his job, and I think Bob takes a lot of pride in what he does and believing that he’s fair and asks good questions and doesn’t let people off the hook if he likes them or not. I know many people question that, and I do think that there’s definitely a tone shift when he talks to people he likes vs those he has no personal feelings on, and sometimes there’s a “I know you, so I know you’re trying your best” thing to it, but regardless of whether he does let personal feelings creep in or not, I think he does take a lot of pride in how he does his job and it did hurt him.

Besides, they keep advertising Bob as this big jerkface (which he isn’t, but the macho advertising makes me laugh), so they basically give him an excuse if he does want to snap at people. xD

I have no real opinion on whether that was out of bounds or not by the way. I don’t know. I don’t work in radio or have much experience with this subject. I know from my own listening experiences, a lot of radio hosts snap at callers for way less than an attack on their professional integrity.

I’ve asked this question before…

do people like it when a host has a friendly relationship with somebody they’re interviewing, or not? Do they think that it might mean the host can get information out of them that another host wouldn’t (like Bob and George Gilette when Gilette felt comfortable enough to slag Hicks on Bob’s show) or do they worry it means the guest will get an easy ride (and some people think Eric TIllman keeps getting)? If they have a hostile or neutral relationship, do you think that means it’s objective, or that you’ll just get standard mediaspeak from the guest?

Rome
Rome
January 21, 2012 6:09 pm

I thought Blair was great interviewing Beeston and pushed and asked questions that I wanted to hear. He might not be the smoothest but the quality was there .

alex
alex
January 21, 2012 9:55 pm

One of the things that i initially liked about bob when i first started listening (since pts was on sirius in between airings of hnic) was that he woyld admit to not k.owing an answer to a question. Seems rare in sports media hese days.

RJ
RJ
January 21, 2012 10:59 pm

Sun reports Paterno dead…..but he’s not…..hmmmmm

alex
alex
January 22, 2012 12:06 am

The initial people that reported it were a penn state org and then cbs.

I camt kill 100% a new org who thought cbs (or cnn or espn) had vetted the story.

Ami Angelwings
January 22, 2012 5:22 am

Was Shannon drunk for the roundtable or something? o_O He talked about Taylor Hall wearing a visor when he got cut, when Hall wasn’t even wearing a helmet. Then he thinks the Islanders are better remembered than the dynasty Oilers? o_O

Brad
Brad
January 22, 2012 8:15 am

John Shannon saying Taylor Hall “was wearing a visor/helmet” when he got the skate in the head, is the SAME John Shannon who was “positive” Brett Lawrie played hockey growing up. The same answer to both: NO!

This one is for Greg Brady. Greg, yes the interviewee cannot see you when you ask the questions, and then responds. But, and this is a big but, WE the TV audience CAN SEE YOU!!
Can you not leave twitter alone for the three minutes you are doing the interview??? There is NO NEED AT ALL FOR YOU TO BE TYPING DURING AN INTERVIEW!!! When you are typing Greg, you are NOT FULLY participating in the interview. There is an almost, ” I don’t care about said interview, twitter is more important” feel to your interview when you type. Greg, you are not the only one who does this. All your co-horts do it at Sportsnet. You are just the one who is on TV doing it the longest. UN-PROFESSIONAL!

Dok
Dok
January 22, 2012 8:25 am

On the Greg Brady deal, it’s not out of the ordinary for radio hosts to be able to listen to an interview and be doing other things. It’s actually something you have to work on when you are in the booth. The only difference here is you can see it due to it being on tv

January 22, 2012 11:38 am

at 11:36am on Sunday the Star is reporting that Paterno is in serious condition battling cancer. way to stay on top of things guys.

Sam In Scarb
Sam In Scarb
January 22, 2012 4:09 pm

Re some of the above comments:
Turn on The Score the other day to see some scores,some program on with Cam Stewart…
I think why is It possible this guy is on TV ??
Then I think of shannon on Tv & radio,cabbie on Tv & radio and of course blair with ah ha humm turrets..
Toronto and Canada deserves better than some of the crap radio an Tv gives us!!!!
And believe me there is more..I just named three…

kyle
kyle
January 22, 2012 9:50 pm

I agree with DOK – it’s a radio program that happens to be on tv; I really don’t know why people get so bent out of shape about it.

for those who complain:
a) you don’t know what is being typed – is it Twitter? is it looking up info relevant to the discussion?
b) do you always give your undivided attention to all your phone conversations? no email? no internet? no cutting vegetables?

Chef Mike in Burlington
January 22, 2012 11:47 pm

Bummer to hear Paterno died, I was really looking forward to seeing him on the stand , defending himself as to why he heard the words Sandusky, boy, shower, naked and 9;30 at night , did did nothing to save dozens of boys from further sexual assaults at the hands of a child rapist.

He got off easy, I really wanted him under oath explainIng why Sandusky really retired in 1999…