Did Blue Jays Miss Out On Prince Fielder?

Did Blue Jays Miss Out On Prince Fielder?

By TSM

What a difference a few games against the New York Islanders makes eh?

I read enough papers and I’ve decided that the terms hot or cold are now the most over used in the wide world of sports. The Buds win two vs. the Isles and are “hot”???? They lose a couple and they’ve hit a cold streak….

I guess the pressure of having to compete for that story has placed us in this realm of over-hyped, over analyzed abyss.

So, our Blue Jays didn’t land Cecil’s kid Prince. Mike Illitch paid the prince a king’s ransom now didn’t he?

I’ll admit that I don’t know my baseball x’s and o’s. I am more of a Jays fan than a baseball fan. I don’t study all the stats.

I do know that while Fielder wouldn’t answer all the questions for the Jays, I do know that all the question marks surrounding the team still exist today when he is no longer on the market.

The best read on the signing I have seen so far come from one of my least favorite scribes, Mitch Albom:

“And, yes, it’s big money. But remember: It’s not your money. It’s not my money. If Ilitch wants to spend it that way, that is totally his business, and in a non-salary cap world, what difference does it make? This deal should not be judged by the dollar amount. It’s immaterial. Just something to bug the eyes out. There are overpaid players and underpaid players on every big league roster.”

In this salary cap era, it’s refreshing to see an owner go all out isn’t it? It’s interesting that Illitch who is based in an economic disaster zone is willing to shell out for both his hockey team and his baseball team while Rogers, oh never mind.

Fascinating seeing the various sides of Jays nation play this out. The optimists say that Fielder isn’t worth it and we already got out from under our own albatross of a contract with Vernon Wells. The naysayers are saying that he would have been the answer and well worth the cost.

I’ve been watching the new tv show Alcatraz. It’s okay. It’s not Lost for sure, but man is it trying.

Alexander Ovechkin is sitting out the NHL All-Star game. Aren’t you too? I mean, what a crap event the game is. I don’t get why they don’t drop it in favor of the winter classic. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, it’s all about the sponsors. Can’t they go to the outdoor game?

Some of the Tim Thomas rhetoric was pretty funny today. The Dave Hodge stuff was that of legends. Makes it easy to remember why he isn’t on HNIC anymore doesn’t it.

Riddle me this batman, if you could see one concert, artist is either dead or alive, who would you see?

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 21
  • comment-avatar

Alive: the kinks (if you could reform them)

Dead: going old school .. mozart

___

I’r rather watch the asg skills than the game.

Plate braking > the no d Asg

itchy butt 8 years ago

Hendrix at the Royal Albert Hall at his prime.

• comment-avatar

Toss-up: The Beatles or Nirvana (fully constituted, of course).

• comment-avatar

Good for Fielder for getting big $$$ and Tiger fans but we all know in a few years of less they will be regreting his signing…as for the Jays would have been nice even thought its not my money you know this would have given Rogers an excuse not to spend big $$$ in the future because the are paying a play who is no longer in thier plans..

sam in oshawa 8 years ago

As a guitar player,Stevie Ray Vaughn…rip.I think AA has to build from the ground up that is the mandate he has probably agreed to,im kinda warming to it,i think he has it,this year more than any other will define him as a GM.They will content right out of the gate and jays fans will see meaningful games in Sept.There has to be a place for Dave Hodge on the radio somewhere…

Classic Dave Hodge!!..lol

The Tragically Hip: I have seen them numerous times at arena concerts or outdoor venues.
    I would LOVE to see them in a small bar, and be right up close to them!

Good interview yesterday on PTS with AA.

Robert 8 years ago

Where can I find Dave Hodge’s comments?

Don Mandrie 8 years ago

Jimi Hendrix w/Otis Redding as opener.

Gerry 8 years ago

As a fan, I could care less about the potential size/performance of Prince Fielder in Year 6, 9 or 10 of this new contract. As a fan, I would have just seem my team sign the best available hitter in Baseball to my team and I would be happy. The Tigers realized with the injury to Victor Martinez than their best hitter Cabrera would now be exposed in the lineup and needs protection.

Unfortunately, the Jays still think Adam Lind is a bonafide Major League #4 or #5 hitter, which he has proven in only 1 season.

Reality is, if in 6 years Fielder is out of shape and not producing they will find a way to get his contract off books, buyout, or perhaps they have a weight restriction clause in his contract (far fetched, but possible).

Happy for the TIgers, but there would need to be about 4 wild card teams in the AL for Jays to have a chance this year.

• comment-avatar

We all know that Dave Hodge’s comments were done tongue-in-cheek, right?…RIGHT????

He was just having fun with it!

• comment-avatar

I’ve been reading some of the “harsh” comments about Dave Hodge. Let it go people! It wasn’t meant to be mean. Dave, himself, went to twitter and apologized.
    What Tim Thomas did was wrong! PERIOD!
    Was there anything wrong with Tim Thomas coming out the week before, or even the day before, saying he wasn’t going to attend? NO there wasn’t. Tim Thomas chose to do it the day of the event. He made it all about him, and took everything away from his team mates, coaches, trainers, owners, reporters, etc.
    Dave had a little bit of fun with it. There is NO NEED TO CRUCIFY HIM!!! Especially from the Toronto Sun!!!

Gerry 8 years ago

I thought Dave Hodge was being his typical dry humour funny self. If people want to get all bent out of shape over his tweet, they have their own issues.

Of Course Dowbiggin is bent out of shape in his recent waste of internet space article.

• comment-avatar

To answer the question – The Clash – around the time that London Calling came out.

I think that the Tigers overpaid for Fielder. It looked like the only serious team for his services was the Nationals, and they are still about 3 years from being relevant in a pennant race. I understand that with the present Tigers line-up that they are going for the World Series now, and the injury to Victor Martinez left a big hole. But if Fielder wanted to play for a contender he didn’t have many choices. The Tigers could have held out for a shorter, more favourable deal. I think come year 4 of this contract that the Tigers will be regretting signing him for 9 years. I keep thinking about Mo Vaughn, and both him and Fielder have similar body types……..

• comment-avatar

There were a lot of people who freaked out over Hodge comment, even though I was first to bring it up here, I thought it was a joke and Steve mentioned in that thread that you could read whatever you want into Hodge vague comments just as much as you can read into Thomas equally vague comments, which thinking about it I kind of agree. PS I agree with you TSM, outlandish and insulting comments have no place on HNIC, sincerely Mr. Cherry

I agree with Mitch, Gerry, and Blair had similar opinion this morning, listening to some Jays fans they seem more intersted in talking about accounting than baseball. I don’t know if it’s because of the Wilnerness geekness moneyball influence, but this talk of “upside contracts” as a fan I don’t care, I want my team to win, grab the best players possible. You listen to Jays talk last season and i joke you not, there were days that most callers want to talk about Vegas and A ball than the current team! No wonder they were drawing flys at the Dome. If that’s what the fans want, then lets just sell the MLB team and get a AAA club and we can talk about potential throughout the season.

I think the Jays have done a heck of a job vilifying FA in general by reminding everybody of Burnett and Ryan and bringing them up for the wrongs of JP going for high priced FA. Okay I will give them that, Burnett and Ryan didn’t work out as well as we hoped. But with that logic can we bring up Russ Adams everytime a prospect is brought in. Remember Adams and Hill will be our middle infield for decades to come. We should look at every FA or prospect as their own merits, and sometimes it seems like a great move and it doesn’t work out, that happens, but it seems like the Jays are excusing going on the cheap because FA didn’t work out in the past for them.

By the way, I must be a horrible unsmart Jays fan because I didn’t lose a wink of sleep when Ryan didn’t work out and they just wrote him off in the books. Isn’t that just the price of doing business? You don’t want too many mistakes but it does happen.

• comment-avatar

“Me, I trust AA. I just want to hear Mccown or anyone else bring in ownership and ask why the Jays aren’t spending more (wisely). AA and Beeston aren’t the problem here, it’s ownership. So, again I want the bosses on the air answering questions.”

My sentiments exactly.

• comment-avatar

Sam – I saw SRV at Massey Hall it remains as the best concert I have ever attended … I think I might pick Paul Butterfield with Michael Bloomfield in some smoky Chicago bar …

IMHO Hodge’s comment was a variation on Godwin’s law. That he was called on it should surprise no one. The only question is whether the apology was accompanied with a need to enter rehab for some affliction or whether he chalked it up to his own faulty filters.

As for Fielder, is there really anyone who is surprised that he is not a Jay? While split on the value to the Jays in my circle; there was 0 expectation that they would enter the race. Wherever the source, it is clear that this team is driven by its policies. One of which is no long term contracts for position players.

Rome, I love the comment on accounting – but don’t accountants need a hobby too? Which come to think of it, is that not Beeston’s background? Best thought on the Jays came from PTS last night and paraphrasing “with some of the recent signings the Jays have moved from money ball to pension ball”.

BTW is there a “more fun guest” than Zaun these days?

Mike V 8 years ago

Sorry, I didn’t find Dave Hodge’s tweet funny in the slightest and coming back on a day later to say it was just tongue-in-check doesn’t excuse it.

• comment-avatar

From what I understood, the Bruins had been discussing the matter with Thomas leading up to the Event, with Thomas obviously not budging.

• comment-avatar

“BTW is there a “more fun guest” than Zaun these days?”

Hah agreed. I actually totally disagree with a lot of views on how the team should be run, but I still find his segments to be really entertaining. His ingame analysis is really good too.

itchy butt 8 years ago

Cam said…..”Sam – I saw SRV at Massey Hall”

OMG!!!! Too awesome.

• comment-avatar

Rumblings are this will lead to Thomas’s exit from Boston…..and Lindsey Buckingham!