Bob McCown Hits One Out Of The Park

Bob McCown Hits One Out Of The Park

By TSM:

So who was that guy on the TV set and on Twitter Saturday night breaking news on Sidney Crosby??? It was non other than Bob McCown, from Prime Time Sports. McCown isn’t the news breaking type. In fact folks probably get nervous when he breaks news, remember Matt Sundin to the Rangers? Anyways, there we was breaking the news that Crosby had suffered a serious neck injury.

Unlike past performances, McCown was proved right. Both the Penguins and Crosby’s agent confirmed the story and score one for McCown and well several questions and issues followed.

Everyone’s been busy debating the easy one, when did Crosby break his neck? The only thing better than sports writers debating legal issues is when they debate medical ones.

However, I think there are 2 issues/questions that are relevant here.

First, will all of you start betting on the NHL in large #’s so the league is forced to start properly reporting injuries. The only league that does a good job on injuries is the NFL and well, that’s because, you know a few people like to wager a couple of sheckles on the games. I’m sorry, but how stupid do both the Penguins and Crosby look for hiding this? This isn’t a 4th liner with a bruised thigh. It’s the best player not in the game. No one thinks your hiding something until, oh, I don’t know, you are!

No matter how many strides a league makes, keeping things like injuries hidden keeps them right there in the minors.

The next point is really quite simple. Bob McCown broke the story. Other media outlets break stories too. Wouldn’t it be much simpler if everyone just gave credit where credit was due? It’s not that hard to say, type or read the words “as reported by _”. We, the consumers aren’t that stupid. If TSN gives credit to Sportsnet or vise versa, we won’t switch our watching/listneing/reading habits. Some do actually do this. Others? Not so much.

Curious, if you are a glass half empty type, or a glass half full?

Me? I’d be stunned if the NHL doesn’t miss any time due to a labour issue.

I love all the Brian Burke is going to make a trade articles and segments. What, are the scribes preparing us all for the “I told ya so” that follows when he does? Has Burke ever gone an entire season without make a deal? His team is in the race for a playoff spot and the deadline is a month away, yeah, I guess we can all agree he’s going to do something. You don’t get marks for that. Tell me the who and the what and well then we have something.

Max Von Sydow is nominated for an academy award. How he didn’t get one for Strange Brew is equally as shocking. What a role he played.

Happy Monday.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 19
  • comment-avatar
    Mike S 8 years ago

It was nice to hear that McCown actually made sure he had more than one source for this Crosby story……………..I wish he had done that for his other “scoops” over the last few years, many of which turned out to be false

lagerandale 8 years ago

Me thinks the Bobcat only had one source. You only have to look as far as his friendship with Pat Brisson. I haven’t really thought about it but not sure why the Crosby camp would want this out there. What good could come of a rift between Crosby and Pens?

• comment-avatar

Arthur credited bob in his article about crosby.

• comment-avatar

Congrats to McCown to break this one… print media is more apt to give credit on who reported the story unlike TV this is not done especially when its your competition (SN) in your own town….over at TSN with all there hockey talking heads they to there credit reported it without there usual spin on down playing it pretty much as told by McCowan on SN with out on who broke it… can not wait till trade deadline day should be fun watching all media patting themselfs” well you heard it here first”..

• comment-avatar

Good on McCown and the people over at Sportsnet for BREAKING this story. I got a feeling they’ll get more scoops come Trade Deadline day. Of course TSN’s so called Insiders like Darren Dreger and Bob McKenzie will discredit it lol. A question over the last few years how accurate have TSN’s Hockey Insiders been????

holden cox 8 years ago

for the love of god, could somebody please tell me why McCown where’s those sunglasses at all times? is he blind or some other medical condition?

It can’t be because he thinks he’s ‘cool’ or something. not with that 80’s pubic minge afro haircut of his…

Shawn 8 years ago

I think Darren Dreger is the worst offender when it comes to his predictions of trades. While he is often the first to break a trade, the majority of time his articles on tsn and appearances on tsn radio he makes vague sweeping comments like “Brian is looking to aggressively trade in the next few weeks”, etc. Just over the weekend I heard him say about Sam Gagner from the Oilers that the team wasn’t actively looking to trade him but if the right pieces were offered they would consider a trade. Well of course they would! So would any team with any player. While I do enjoy watching TSN broadcasts, their Insider Trading segment is basically worthless.

mike (in boston) 8 years ago

As I said in the other thread: how is it that all those SN/TSN “insiders” were in the dark on this one for so long? I’m imagining lots of those guys got knocked down a peg over the weekend.

Lagerandale asks an excellent question: why would Crosby’s camp leak this story to Bob? What do they stand to gain by getting this story out there at this time? Is it possible that Bob negotiated some deal with them? He mentioned on thursday’s or friday’s PTS that he was going to Ottawa to do a “hit” on SN, so he knew about this ahead of time and probably planned his appearance with his bosses to steal the show over the weekend. The question remains: what’s in it for the Crosby camp?

• comment-avatar

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut every once and a while… McCowan’s record is so brutal at breaking news, getting one doesn’t mean much.

Remember earlier this year when he broke the story Crosby was seriously considering retirement? Only problem with that story was he didn’t talk to anyone other than some distant relative named Scheky crosby. Ac ouple week slater, Crosby returns.

I wouldnt be surprised if they (SN) handed this story to BumCat to try and regain some credibility.

Mike S 8 years ago

McCown never reported that Crosby was seriously considering retirement……………he reported that some of Crosby’s relatives were trying to get him to seriously consider retirement……………we don’t know if McCown was wrong on this one

McCown reported this in the spring of 2011……………..Crosby did not return until November 2011………………so he did not return a couple of weeks after McCown reported it

nan young 8 years ago

Yes Bob broke the story and James Duthie and Bob Makenzie had the Cammelleri trade details first. But really so what. These items would become public anyway so who cares who is first. I’m more impressed when a media member breaks a story teams will try to keep secret, such as Penn State scandal or financial records that Deadspin published.

As for McCowan, the show is getting stale. I say that as someone who has been listening to him since he was doing commercials for the Fire Pit 30 years ago. Now I find Cybulski and Macko much more entertaining. I listen to them live and sometimes I listen to Bob on the podcast, where I can fast forward, usually when those two dolts Brunt and Cox open their mouths. Cox knows hockey and nothing else; Brunt knows nothing. Compare his knowledge of soccer with Greg Brady’s and you will see what is missing. Brunt spews generalities with the air of an expert. Its all rubish. How much better, hipper, funnier more knowledgeable is the Cybulski show, with much better music.
    The Brian Burke vs. White Stripes was a brilliant bit of radio. My sons and their friends only listen to Cybulski.

Bob can still be great. His last interview with the sick Bert Sugar was outstanding as you heard the sympathy in McCowan’s voice as Bert had trouble speaking during the interview. And for legal issues and business of sport, Bob still has no equal. As a lawyer I say Bob could have been one too in
    another life. But the high points are now few and far between. Brady is the star
    of the Fan.

I marvel at the trite sensibilities who can be entertained by Brunt and Cox.

I don’t get it…

We had heard previously that Crosby was seeing a neck specialist. Really the story is simply that he found something the head folks missed.

Great, good news point for sure, but hardly the scoop everybody is making out to be.

My favorite part is how Jeff Blair makes the leap from this to Crosby has to leave Pit because of the doctors and the rift it created between him and the team. WOW… what a leap, especially since Crosby has had all kinds of doctors miss this injury.

All that being said, he’s on the ice today.

• comment-avatar

Rob Rossi said on MvsW today that Sidney was at Mario’s house when the news broke.

• comment-avatar

Bob has mentioned Crosby’s uncle in the past, and also having contact with a member of Crosby’s family who wanted him to quit hockey and live his life. That would be a motivation for leaking this.

robinaurora 8 years ago

Let’s just make it a point to never believe a McCown “scoop” ever again…turns out he was wrong…AGAIN …Especially if its about Sidney Crosby. Someone seems to have a can of worms that McCown finds awfully tasty. The Hook line and sinker too apparently….”Scoop” is a good word for what was reported – because you need one to clean it up…

• comment-avatar

@Ben, You say Bob has a brutal record, how about you posting some examples of this? Given the one you did has already been addressed and poiinted out as wrong, you are batting 100%, quite the brutal record too I must say,.

Mike S 8 years ago

Hey Ken……………off the top of my head, here are a few examples:

1) McCown reported that Sundin would sign with the New York Rangers. He was incorrect

2) McCown reported that NBC would not continue to televise NHL games. He was incorrect

3) McCown reported that Stan Kasten would replace Bud Selig as baseball commissioner. He was incorrect

4) A few months after Jim Balsillie’s purchase of the Nashville Predators fell through, McCown reported that Balisillie had bought the Predators again. He was incorrect

5) McCown reported that the San Diego Chargers will move to Los Angeles. We will see if he is right about this one

robinaurora 8 years ago

Mike – Nice memory! If you didn’t use Google, I am impressed. I recall all of those now that you reminded me. I knew there were a bunch. In fact I don’t recall McCown ever having a scoop. You’ll notice that Brunt and Cox are happy to let him have the egg on his face (in other words, they aren’t touching it based on his sources). Brunt is eventually right. He has an itchy trigger finger on “done deals” though…

• comment-avatar

Hey Ken.. see Mike S’s note.