The Rogers Full Nelson

By TSM

Multiple sources are telling me this evening that a true legend has left the friendly confines of Ted Roger’s place. Yes, the brains behind the Fan 590, the man who was there for a very long time, who brought in and mentored many of the personalities you’ve all come to love and loathe, Nelson Millman is no longer with Rogers.

I am not sure exactly on the details of the exit, but Millman was there for a VERY long time. You’ll remember that he moved from the radio side over to the tv side not so long ago, and as a result we’ve not heard so much about him of late.

Personally, I think this is a loss for the folks at Rogers. I am not sure there is a single person who understands sports programming better from a business perspective than he does. More than that, Nelson is a great guy. I think, and don’t know this for sure, but I would guess that there are very few folks in the business in Toronto who have a bad word to say about him.

I can tell you that when I first started this site, he was one of the first MSMers I got to speak to. He was always professional to deal with, returned every call and while he didn’t answer a whole lot of questions he certainly made me laugh a lot.

I think Nelson was loyal to his team of hosts perhaps to a fault. I could predict when I would hear from him. If I wrote something unkind about one of his “guys” past or present I was sure to get an email or a call. I have to believe that those days back at the Fan when he had to let people go were the toughest for him professionally as I get the feeling that he hired people and gave them every opportunity to succeed; He treated them as family.

Now, don’t take this as a knock on the current radio administration as it is not that. Every fish has it’s day as it is said. A comparison isn’t fair and this isn’t about Don Kollins.

So, if the stories are true and Nelson is no longer with Rogers, here’s hoping he lands somewhere as quickly as he wants, assuming he does. If I were at TSN or the Score or some other network I would bring him in at least as an adviser. Hey, that’s just me and no one asks me.

The times they are a changing, and I guess we’ll all see if that’s good or bad.

Speaking of Nelson, I’m guessing I am wearing some egg for tipping my hat to Nelson’s old buddy McCown on the whole Crosby story. Let’s not go there shall we 🙂

I will say this, for whatever reason I did always love and look forward to those in studio sessions Nelson did with Mccown. They were great fun to listen to.

Happy Wednesday.

Update: I’m told Scott Woodgate communicated this to rogers staff yesterday and that Nelson has left to take an executive role with the Olympic Consortium. Good stuff.

mario
mario
February 1, 2012 3:02 am

Hopefully if he if he is no longer with Rogers he left on his own terms and was not pushed out…I am with you TSM Nelson Millman was a true gentleman as I did also enjoy when he was taking calls from callers with McCowan listening to their opinions and concerns…Best of luck to Nelson were ever he goes..Truly a loss for Rogers..

MrAL
MrAL
February 1, 2012 9:17 am

Can someone enlighten me as to why he is wearing egg on the McCown/Crosby story?

sam in oshawa
sam in oshawa
February 1, 2012 9:29 am

TSM jumped on the BOB band-wagon for the staged SID.”scoop”.With BOB’s track record,maybe could have been a bit more skeptical about how the event unfolded,no worries still aTSM fan.What did go down with Millman?

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
February 1, 2012 11:29 am

I bet he eventually ends up running TSN Radio 640 opps i mean 1050

Drum&Anchor
Drum&Anchor
February 1, 2012 11:32 am

Never met the man, although we did have a couple of telephone conversations regarding radio royalty tariffs. He seemed like a nice person and we tried to set a date to meet for lunch that, sadly, never happened. Hope this change will be both a professional and personal success.

I would offer that I was a tad disappointed with that “family” he supported so much at The Fan. There were just too many of them that needed a little tough love. Since then, virtually, all of the “problem children” have moved on in some capacity and I believe the station is much improved.

Anyway, good luck, Nelson.

February 1, 2012 12:39 pm

unintended comedy side effect of listening to radio show podcasts a couple of days late: the benefit of hindsight.

it’s been pretty entertaining listening to FAN hosts congratulate Bob for his scoop, and call for the firing of the Pens’ medical staff. I particularly enjoyed one host’s speech about why it is important for the media to get multiple sources on a story as important as this … you really want to make sure you have the story right. Oops.

Contrary to what some are saying, this is not really a credibility setback for McCown, other than the obvious public embarrassment. He doesn’t make his living off claiming to be an insider. In my preferred universe this whole story is just the Crosby camp trolling the Canadian media.

itchy butt
itchy butt
February 1, 2012 1:11 pm

The whole thing has been like a circus, from both sides. Misinformation from Pens and the media acting like it was the second coming of L. Ron Hubbard.

Steve-O
February 1, 2012 1:42 pm

Agreed with TSM. I remember applying for a couple of jobs at The Fan 590, and he was always gracious enough to return my calls.

Plus, he took time out to invite me to The Fan 590 and sit down with me for an hour to answer my questions about the business and to provide direction to me, I thought that was pretty classy of him

That sort of transparency continued when he would appear on the McCown show and take caller questions about the station. .

robinaurora
robinaurora
February 1, 2012 2:31 pm

Let’s just make it a point to never believe a McCown “scoop” ever again. …Especially if its about Sidney Crosby. Someone seems to have a can of worms that McCown finds awfully tasty. The Hook line and sinker too apparently….”Scoop” is a good word for what was reported – because you need one to clean it up…

Alex
Alex
February 1, 2012 4:16 pm

Bob said he had 2 sources, including crosbys agent.

He is promoting “acommentary” on the situation later, prob at 6’00

Another Steve
Another Steve
February 1, 2012 5:41 pm

If the “collective wisdom” here is to suggest that McCown got it wrong, you can count me as in disagreement. I think he got it right and drove the agenda for a few days.

guy
guy
February 1, 2012 5:44 pm

Mccowan’s “Crosby scoop” reminds me of Brunt’s “Winnipeg scoop” from the summer

February 1, 2012 6:03 pm

how insane is it that we live in a world where a soccer match caused the deaths of 73 people. how soon before FIFA is added to the list of international terrorist organizations?

Rome
Rome
February 1, 2012 6:05 pm

I think there is no doubt from what I heard he is a nice guy and very loyal. But it could also have been a fault of his towards the end, where there was a lot of talented people who never really had a chance to advance because they weren’t there first as his guys. The 90s had some ridiculous talented guys doing overnight and weekends who stayed kind of stuck untill they left the Fan.

I thought no doubt the Fan needed a change in PD and are doing well now in the main weekday spots, what the Fan fault now is what they had abundance in the 90s and that’s a stronge “new to the game” talent that could pushed to the main weekday spots after a while.

I am sure Millman would find another job, he has a great eye for talent and a fresh start would be good for everybody involved.

February 2, 2012 7:27 am

Bruce has some good quotes from Bob in his column over at the Globe. Bob asks, more or less, why anyone should believe the Pens’ public statements … “what makes them the authority?”.

in related news, Globe commenters DO NOT like Bob McCown.