Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown:

400 – Chris Tessaro, poker player
420 – Mike Zeisberger, Toronto Sun
500 – Roundtable with John Shannon, Damien Cox, and Elliotte Friedman

On TSN Radio 1050, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

4:05 – Jesse Palmer, from Indy
4:15 – Matt Cauz and Bryan Hayes : Super Bowl party ideas
4:45 – Rod Smith from Indy
5:00 – FAB 5
5:15 – Bob McKenzie
5:30 – Ed Stefanski, Raps VP of Basketball Ops
5:45 – Mayor Rob Ford, Super Bowl picks and update on potential strike
6:00 – Darren Dreger
6:15 – Brian Cooper, TSN Business Analyst
6:30 – Dave Gagner, Father of Sam Gagner, Fmr Leaf, Dir of Player Development for the Canucks
6:45 – Lance Gibson, MMA Trainer/Analyst … Preview of UFC 143

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Larry Fitzgerald
Eric Dickerson
James Carville

Tonight on Sportsline:

Once and for all… Giants or Patriots, does Jets forward Evander Kane need a role model, how should the Texas Rangers handle Josh Hamilton’s alcohol relapse and why has Phil Mickelson sued a Canadian company? Join Mark Hebscher & Bubba O’Neil tonight at 7, on CHCH

February 3, 2012 5:25 pm

I hope Brunt is back on 590 next week…………..since mid-December I think he has been PTS co-host for only six days (one day with Wilner in late December and one week with McCown in January)…………..since he normally takes the entire summer off it is disappointing when he isn’t on regularly in the winter

February 3, 2012 5:32 pm

I think The Fan has come a long way in the last year or so, but their PTS cohost choices seem to really be against what the listeners want to hear (at least judging by this site). Shannon and Cox can provide interesting analysis sometimes, but Brunt/Friedman/Grange are just much far, far better choices in my opinion.

February 3, 2012 6:14 pm

The survey that 590 sent out via e-mail this week was pretty detailed…………it asked us to rate how much we like each significant on air personality on a scale from 1 to 10……………..if the comment section of this site is any indication there are several 590 people who won’t score very well in that survey

February 3, 2012 6:14 pm

OMG, how big of an asshole is Damien Cox, this performance tonight on the round table has made me turn my local news on, I can’t believe he has a job at all.

itchy butt
itchy butt
February 3, 2012 6:17 pm

What did I miss? Was he his usual obnoxious self?

February 3, 2012 6:20 pm

His constant know it all attitude coupled with arguing about everything for the sake of arguing has gotten beyond old. Ya, ya I get the purpose is suppose to make for more entertaining radio/TV but it really has come to the point that I am now boycotting PTS when he is on, I never thought I would say that and laughed at people who did but it really has come to that with him.

February 3, 2012 6:37 pm

Interesting, Mike.

I just did the survey and one of the questions was ‘what would you rather hear? A Blue Jays/Maple Leafs/Raptors half hour pregame show or Bob McCown?

I remember McCown saying that PTS was going to move to 3:30 to 6:30 for a while. I wonder if they’re considering that again?

Personally, I don’t find pre game shows particularly great. Not worth moving PTS for, anyway.

alex
alex
February 3, 2012 6:42 pm

What a mess the round table has been today.

As i referenced last week, brunt said his deal now likley means less radio.

Elliott has really been wasted today.

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
February 3, 2012 6:54 pm

PTI = Train Wreck! No way should Cox and Shannon should be on the same pannel. I used to not mind Cox but the more I hear the idiot the less I like him

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
February 3, 2012 6:55 pm

Correct PTS lol wrong show haha

February 3, 2012 7:07 pm

Embarrassing is the only word that can be used to describe today. Between Cox and Shannon it really was painful to listen to, what has happened to Grange? Why can he not do the round table with Elliote and Bob, than just pic absolutely ANYONE else, if their was a death penalty in media those 2 would be my first 2 to get rid of!!!!!!

d
d
February 3, 2012 7:35 pm

It seems like Cox has a problem with Friedman. Always seems to treat Friedman like a child.

sam in oshawa
sam in oshawa
February 3, 2012 7:38 pm

In the comment section of the fan survey i said PTS was broken and needs to be fixed,today was a glaring example of the problem.One of the worst panels i have heard.Cox and Shannon have hijacked the discussion to the point that Elliot sits back and lets them ramble and show the listeners what BUFFOONS they are.What a shame BOB lets it happen so that it is just a little less he has to do.Fan surveys are a joke,when those two dummies are on i’ll turn to TSN,check that maybe i should start with TSN…

sam in oshawa
sam in oshawa
February 3, 2012 7:51 pm

Brunt’s credibility with more on air exposure has suffered,he is a lackey to BOB.He seems to just agree with whatever comes out of the cats mouth.Grow some balls.Less is more for Brunt,have a real opinion,not some shit you hope puts a smile on BOBS face.I’m glad it’s Friday,GO GIANTS…

February 3, 2012 7:52 pm

Well said Sam, it actually gave me a headache, I was seriously struggling to NOT throw my remote at the TV

Mike
Mike
February 3, 2012 10:23 pm

Its almost like the rotating panel with McCown on PTS on Fridays should be Elliotte Friedman, Michael Grange, Eric Smith? Tim & Sid? and every now and again Damien Cox and Stephen Brunt. Hell even Richie Rich would be less irritating then John Shannon!

February 3, 2012 10:35 pm

Exactly, why would Tim&Sid not be more attractive to listen to than those pair of morons?

Curt
Curt
February 3, 2012 11:24 pm

To quote Bob himself: Unwatchable (or unlistenable). Cox and Shannon need to move on – like now. Enough already. Like someone mentioned, Friedman is wasted when these clowns are on.

alex
alex
February 3, 2012 11:25 pm

I would not mind seeing marek added to the rotation. Or scott morrison.

Sometimes, i think how much better 590 would be if cox had gone (back?) to tsn and the fan had gotten arthur to be the other co_host.

February 4, 2012 12:51 am

@Mike S that’s exactly how I feel too. Brunt is already missing from June to September, and he’s always gone Grey Cup week, and Superbowl week too, plus Bob always takes some vacation in the winter/spring too, so if he’s not going to be co-hosting when he is free, it doesn’t leave very much time for any Brunt and Bob shows 🙁

KK
KK
February 4, 2012 1:06 am

I wonder if we can trade Damien back to The Reporters for Bruce Arthur?

February 4, 2012 4:47 am

@KK Sportsnet would either have to give up a few draft picks or take back an overpaid TSN guy, and you know how Rogers feels about adding salary.

February 4, 2012 4:47 am

I love how to so many of us here, Sportsnet/Fan590 is the default station and where our loyalties lie. I just noticed that KK said “we”. xD

February 4, 2012 4:59 am

@Mike when was the last time Eric Smith was on the roundtable? To my knowledge, since I’ve been listening (3-4 y ears) he’s never been on the roundtable.

February 4, 2012 5:01 am

Oh you said should… sorry

I’d love for Eric Smith to be on the round table! 😀

My least favourite round table regulars are Shannon, Cox, [random guest star athlete] and Deacon. xD

My ideal roundtable has Bob, Brunt, Arthur and Shoalts, because I find Shoalts adorable <3

February 4, 2012 5:01 am

<3 is a heart by the way

alex
alex
February 4, 2012 5:36 am

One of my favorite roundtables is whem stan kasten was a guest and he bicketed with arthur all show long.

Dream roundtable would prob be brunt, arthur and either friedman or marek.

itchy butt
itchy butt
February 4, 2012 6:00 am

Insomnia is great for catching up with podcasts.
Cox was a complete knob on the roundtable. He reminds me of Biff from Back To The Future. What an obnoxious a-hole.

February 4, 2012 8:28 am

yikes, whole lotta anger for a friday night! at least Shannon is merely bad at his job. Cox is both bad and incendiary. I guess he needs to compensate for lack of talent somehow.

in all likelihood Cox is reading this thread and nodding approvingly. this is what people like him live for. but, what a legacy to leave behind: “i was that guy who was a dick to everyone! remember me!” … pretty sad really.

anyone else listen to Bob’s commentary during the 5pm hour on Feb 1st? I have a bunch of comments, but i’m hoping TSM or RobG throws up a separate thread for it.

February 4, 2012 8:29 am

… Bob’s commentary on the fallout of his Crosby allegation, that is.

daz
daz
February 4, 2012 9:31 am

I find Shannon unwatchable. It always seems like he wants to be “one of the boys” but also wants to stay in the good graces of the NHL. I am sure he is a nice man but as a regular sports analyst/journalist, he is horrible. He is even worse on the Hockey Tonight panel such as las nightt. Also his constant interruptions and always reading his blackberry/computer on PTS is most annoying. I don’t get why he even has these gigs on Sportsnet.

Sam
Sam
February 4, 2012 10:31 am

Ami had a really good analysis a few threads ago of Shannon’s 3 or 4 typical reactions to everything. He’s just a person who is not in the right job… sad to watch… although on sports media and sometimes business he is good.

Brad
Brad
February 4, 2012 11:01 am

The only thing missing from John Shannon to make him the total NERD on PTS is his pocket protector. He has every other thing right in front of him. His tablet, his cell phone. He even has the thick lenses on his glasses.
Last night between him and Cox was utter garbage. It was a joke!

cam
cam
February 4, 2012 12:14 pm

I did not make it past the Cox diatribe on Alfreddson and based on these comments seems like I made the right decision. Reading through the thread it struck me how universal the anti-Cox sentiment is. Despite how strong the reaction against Shannon he does have his supporters. Given how vehement these comments are against Cox behaviour, I have to believe the Fan has also had its fair share delivered directly. If so, the question is what do they do?

It appears like there is an Anyone But Cox movement developing for PTS. I can only imagine that good folks at TSN are breathing a sigh of relief at having lost the bidding war. I have been a loyal listener to PTS for years but Cox and to a much lesser degree Shannon are eroding that sentiment. I have said it before; if I were at TSN I think I would start a campaign to lure listeners aimed right at Cox as I think it is PTS’ Achilles heel.

Mike
Mike
February 4, 2012 2:06 pm

Anyone else tuning into TSN 1050 Game Day with Mike Hogan! He just announced that a “New Host” will be announced next weekend… any ideas who that could be??? I’m thinking maybe Don Landry?

Alex
Alex
February 4, 2012 4:38 pm

Like all provocateurs, both talented (Stern) and not (Imus), attention is what they want.

I wish I had a people meter, so I could not listen when Damian is on, so it would show in the ratings. But hey, I”m not even in Toronto, so my listening habits are really insignificant to 590.

I noticed that Shannon said “I’m not a journalist” during one of the segments on Friday. I guess he is a “personality,” as they said in the biz. I have a much higher tolerance for him than most here. Maybe because I started listening in the summer, when he was the regular co-host during one of Brunt’s sabbaticals.

February 4, 2012 4:58 pm

What I like about Brunt is that if he’s trying to agitate, it’s not obvious. Even with Bob, I tend to get the feeling (even if it’s completely erroneous) that he generally believes what he says, and he might play it up and be extra-passionate about it to drive controversy and ratings, but he’s pretty consistent. What I hate about Cox is that it’s SO OBVIOUS he just feels his job is “asshole” but the thing is, he takes it seriously too. Like the way he’d been sniping in his blog at his detractors for years and now that he’s on twitter he’s in twitter wars all the time. On the show you can tell too, he can’t just debate, he starts to get heated… it’s like he starts off thinking “I’m gonna be an agitator! hehehehehe” but then HE’S the one who can’t take it not personally -_-

Re: Sam… thanks for remembering 🙂

Yeah, Shannon’s main reaction to somebody disagreeing with him “c’mon Bob/Damien/Stephen, c’monnn!” or his annoying long sighs followed by “Bob, you know, you KNOW that…” (usually followed by some “insider” claim that the NHL can do no wrong) … he’s like a troll, his entire argument style is to just act like you’re being incredibly stupid by disagreeing with him, that it’s SO obvious you’re wrong and he’s exasperated that he has to explain why you’re wrong to you… it doesn’t make for good listening…

also he’s taken to yelling “SHAZAM” now… unless he’s turning into Captain Marvel, it’s just annoying >_<

itchy butt
itchy butt
February 4, 2012 5:00 pm

I can tolerate Shannon. He’s not arrogant and obnoxious and offers some insight.

Cox……..oofah…..

February 4, 2012 5:05 pm

AMI, you should send that exact post to the higher-ups @ Rogers, that was perfectly said and if I dare say probably about 99% of how all listeners/watchers feel about Shannon and Cox. I really don’t think that they (Rogers) know how their audience loathes this pair.

alex
alex
February 4, 2012 6:21 pm

Forgot tp mention, since it was likely a pointless exercise, but i sent a tweet to bobcat saying how awful the roundtable was, but im sure he knew that already.

Also, it may not have been mentioned yet, but shannons whining about his burger was also pretty embarassing.

Ami, i wonder if shannon k.ows who captain marvel is. It could be a gomer pyle reference. 🙂

February 4, 2012 8:54 pm

@Alex yeah I figured it was a reference to him, I just couldn’t remember his name (I’ve never watched that show… xD ) and comics is more my thing :3

And yeah, his WHINING ABOUT THE BURGER!!! OMFG -_- Cox’s whining about his whining wasn’t helping either. Both of their voices go SO HIGH when they’re upset and it was really hard on my ears.

February 5, 2012 6:36 am

Oh, I just heard the interview with Rob Becker (I listen to them via podcasts and not always in the right order xD )… honestly Bob seemed a little naive when it came to how common sex work is and what it is. I don’t have a problem with sex work, and I think it should be legalized (not underage sex work obviously, or trafficking, but I support sex worker rights and organizations and not to treat them as people who need to be rescued if they are consenting adults) but he seemed to think because he’s never been aware of it (or noticed it) therefore it can’t be that widespread, and also that it’s just women on street corners and that’s not how or where a lot of sex workers operate.

sam in oshawa
sam in oshawa
February 5, 2012 7:51 am

BOB lived in Vegas for christ sakes who is he trying to fool with that “i had no idea hookers and sports mixed”,for a guy who allows a child mollester[e.tillman] on his show,why this act of dismay over the call girl segment?Grow the fuck-up and fix your show…GO GIANTS!

February 5, 2012 8:21 am

Bob said he didn’t know how to handle what Tillman did, because he likes Tillman, but at the same time he can’t ignore what Tillman did.

I feel the same way when it comes to if Bob should have banned Tillman from his show. The problem is, Bob bans people for all sorts of “lesser” reasons, including that he just doesn’t like them, so it’s hard for me to say “I understand because he has to be a professional and Tillman is still an important sports executive to be interviewed”. After all, Rob Babcock and JP Ricciardi were GMs in leagues bigger than the CFL and both were banned from his show. :\

The other thing though, is that he could make the argument that Tillman’s already faced justice for his crime, and therefore is Bob supposed to ban people based on perceived insufficient justice? My biggest problem with Eric Tillman isn’t that the CFL didn’t ban him, or Bob didn’t ban him, or that the Eskimos hired him… it’s that the justice system gave him an absolute discharge. He didn’t even need to get jail, I just am really bothered by the fact that he didn’t even get a criminal record or anything else. He CONFESSED to the crime, and got an absolute discharge. So it’s not even like we’d be assuming guilt (like can be said about Ben Roethlisberger, for instance), he admitted it. But is it up to Bob to ban him because the justice system didn’t do enough (in my opinion, and it’s just my opinion). He DID confess, he DID face “justice”. I don’t know. :\ Do we hold every other news organization or talk show for continuing to interview Tillman, or any other convicted criminal?

I guess the issue is that Bob’s banned people for less, and he bans people based on his feelings, so you could say that not banning Tillman implies what his feelings are. Also, he has extremely strong feelings towards Michael Vick, and would he interview Vick? I dunno…

Again, I like Bob, and he still does have a job to do, but, at the same time, he’s also made decisions about who goes on his show for reasons that boil down to “cuz I say so” so… I dunno…

As I said, most of my anger is really towards the justice system, and if Bob said that Tillman’s faced justice already, he’d be completely right. It’s not Bob’s fault that the justice system gave him… well that wasn’t even a slap on the wrist.

February 5, 2012 8:23 am

It did really really bug me when Bob referred to the assault as “a sexual indiscretion” though (way back when). A sexual indiscretion is when you cheat on your wife… this was sexual assault. -_-

February 5, 2012 8:29 am

Bob also referred to Sandusky raping boys as “sexual improprieties” before Brunt told him to call it “child rape” because that’s what it was. So it could be that Bob, like many many other people in our society, finds the topic really hard to think about it and talk and disgusting so he’s trying to word it in a way he’s comfortable with saying it. It’s both understandable and also part of the problem when it comes to sexual assault and rape: a lot of people find just the idea so disturbing that they end up wanting to NOT talk about it, or use euphemisms to cover it up and the problem is then we as a society don’t confront this stuff head on. :\

February 5, 2012 8:36 am

Thinking about it more… it does bug me how Tillman is treated like everything is forgiven and forgotten, and I really do think it has to do with the fact that he went through the justice system… it gave a sense of closure and him disappearing from the CFL for about a year (less than actually) also I think helped to make people forget, or feel that he’d served his “time” and we should move on. Whatever it is, he is pretty much treated as if it never happened. >_< Also I really hated how in his first interview with Bob when he got hired for the Edmonton job, he made it out as if he was the victim and was so happy he had such great support, and etc etc…

Honestly… while I do think that it's not up to Bob to be a replacement for the justice system not punishing him… as a survivor of rape, if that were the guy who assaulted me on the radio being treated as a regular individual as if it didn't matter to anybody, as if all the mattered was his job… I'd never be able to listen to that program again.. 🙁

But then, this happens all the time doesn't it? Lots and lots of politicians, celebrities, athletes, etc, do awful things to people and then eventually it's forgotten again and they're back in the media talking about things… it seems like cheating is a bigger crime to the media than assault sometimes…

February 5, 2012 1:27 pm

on Tillman: the weird thing is that Bob has a young daughter, and most dads I know tend to be over-protective when it comes to issues of a sexual nature. But I guess as the roundtables prove, Bob is very loyal to his friends, so his approach to the Tillman situation was hardly surprising.

February 5, 2012 5:46 pm

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the worst thing that was said on Friday’s PTS roundtable………….it was right at the end of the show when Shannon said “see you on Monday” to McCown………………I guess that means Brunt won’t be co-host that day

February 5, 2012 6:00 pm

MIKE S
I heard that as well, unreal, this will be the first week i have intentionally missed PTS in a very long time. Whether it be internet, TV or podcast i always tune in but i refuse with him as co-host! Seems awfully petty but it has come to that.

February 5, 2012 7:14 pm

Brunt is never on the Monday after Superbowl because he has to fly back to Toronto… it doesn’t necessarily mean he won’t be on Tuesday to Friday though (*crosses fingers*)

@Darren I find myself really only listening the 4pm segments now and skimming through the other 2 to see if there’s any decent interviews. I always liked Brunt the most, even over Jim Kelley, but Cox and Shannon really make the program unlistenable :\ When I’m in the car, I just see what’s on TSN, or I put on a country station or CD or something… The roundtables I’ll listen to because sometimes they can be saved, but last Friday’s was TERRIBLE.

February 5, 2012 7:16 pm

Sorry about all the posts last night about Tillman :\ I didn’t mean to get into it, but I have pretty strong feelings when it comes to this stuff and I was tired so it spilled out :\

February 5, 2012 7:22 pm

@Mike (In Boston)

“Bob’s quibbling about the numbers in the discussion about the Indy law designed to protect child sex workers seemed pretty out of touch. Who cares about whether the numbers are accurate: the fact is that demand for prostitution spikes during the superbowl, and children are often victimized as a result.”

Exactly. I don’t know why it mattered. We don’t want children victimized. When the Sandusky case broke, Bob was arguing with Becker the opposite when Becker said he didn’t think that many people were going to come out and Bob said he was told by a previous guest that the average number of victims was like a really high number (I can’t remember if it was over 50 over 100) and I don’t remember Bob saying “no wait that seems too high”, in fact he was the opposite.

Alex
Alex
February 5, 2012 8:35 pm

\If there’s no Brunt on 590, I wonder if that also means no Arthur on TSN, since he’s in Indy too.

The Indy airport will probably be jam packed tomorrow. The last time I was there (admittedly 20 or so years ago in college), it was just a medium-sized airport. I could see some people flying out of Ft Wayne or Bloomington or Evansville depending on where they are standing, let alone Chicago or Columbus (4-5 hours from indy).

itchy butt
itchy butt
February 5, 2012 9:11 pm

“What’s the record for most posts in a thread? Don’t recall anything close to this since I started reading the blog.”

Thought the same thing!

February 6, 2012 2:14 am

I didn’t even know this blog had a 2nd page for comments xD

Lee (Oakville)
Lee (Oakville)
February 6, 2012 6:43 am

If anyone has Don Kollins’ e-mail it would be worthwhile to send him a link to this thread. If he hasn’t already read it, it will give him a good indication of some of the negative feelings and resentment that is brewing around PTS.

sam in oshawa
sam in oshawa
February 6, 2012 9:42 am

Ami-your previous post were well said.BOB has no problem ranting aboutFIGHTING,GAMBLING,SOCCER,G.BETTMAN,etc,but when it comes to child safety involving a buddy well no opinion.The Sask.gov. cut the deal with the family of the girl and et, he got to stay in the country and after a short period of time resume his career,everybody wins except a young girl, as a dad i just seathe over it that is why BOB is a punk.Its all sports related so it makes it relevant to his show,i will continue to bring it up as it pertains to the subject of the thread,hope i don’t piss anybody off but crossing the line with kids does not have a statue of limitation in my book…YEAH GIANTS…