Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown.

400 – Michael Hiestand, USA Today
420 – David Shoalts, Globe and Mail
520 – Nick Kypreos, Sportsnet
540 – Darryl Sittler
600 – Marcel Aubut, president, Canadian Olympic Committee
620 – Sean Gordon, Globe & Mail & Darren Millard, Sportsnet
640 – Rusty Staub, former Expo

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

4:30 – James Duthie
4:45 – David Branch
5:15 – Bob McKenzie
5:30 – Gary Payton
6:00 – Darren Dreger
6:15 – Igor Larionov, Yakupov’s agent
6:30 – Marcel Aubut, Cdn Olympic Committee

Tonight on Sportsline:

Are the Maple Leafs gaining momentum and losing their losers mentality, why do the Raptors play so poorly in the 1st quarter, is it time to lose the ‘2nd’ assist in the NHL and Rob Gronkowski parties hard after losing the Super Bowl! Join Mark Hebscher & Bubba O’Neil tonight at 7, on CHCH.

February 7, 2012 5:04 pm

Just another zzzzzzzzzzzzzz of a 4 o’clock hour, Bob chummin with another of FOB’s in Hiestand and Shoalts with his talk for almost an entire segment without takin a breath while Bob talks with the producer half the time as Shoalts rambles on.

February 7, 2012 5:07 pm

And of course the 5 o’clock hour begins with Bob complaining about Brunt never being there, omg that is gettin soooooooo old.

alex
alex
February 7, 2012 5:08 pm

We have been promised 2 weeks of brunt as co host. *crosses fingers*

February 7, 2012 5:10 pm

Great, 9 more days of McCown bitchin to Brunt about not being there.

alex
alex
February 7, 2012 5:12 pm

I will take it over damian being there.

mario
mario
February 7, 2012 5:12 pm

I guess no one is listening to TSN radio seeing there are no complaints or positive comments hardly ever on this blog…

February 7, 2012 5:12 pm

true, very true.

February 7, 2012 5:27 pm

i listen to both Hayes and captain C-Balls on podcast but I just listen to interviews, and i exclude interviews with: hockey players, hockey insiders, canadian music “celebs”, and the mayor of toronto. this doesn’t leave me with very much.

C-Balls is still painfully unfunny as an interviewer but the addition of Mackowitz as a co-host has really helped. Hayes is still quite rigid and would benefit tremendously from a co-host.

in my opinion, the reason people bang on PTS so much around here is that we all know how great it can be. I have no similar hope for TSN’s programming. So, contrary to Bob’s whinging about the things we say here, the critical comments are an indication that people are invested in the quality of PTS. it would be nice if the host showed some evidence of a similar investment.

February 7, 2012 5:37 pm

@ Mario, if there was anybody worth listening to on tsn radio would jump ship in a nano second. Honestly, maybe I’m just in a bad mood with the world lately but Bob is just grinding on me to no end. His lack of sports knowledge is just unbearable anymore. Maybe he should just do a podcast weekly from his home and just talk about his golf course, his stupid entertainment room and how the NHL is dead in 11 markets in the U.S.

alex
alex
February 7, 2012 5:40 pm

I listen to cybulski on podcast. Mosy days, not really a lot about which to comment. I think ive only heard one meaty interview, when the argos guy was on last week and cybulski trief to grill him about why nicholdon resigned.

When arthur isnt there, i often get a mike amd mike “dont rock the boat” vibr.

Ami Angelwings
February 7, 2012 5:48 pm

Isn’t Bob complaining that Brunt isn’t there proof that Bob WISHES to work with Brunt? Given how Bob reacts to his other co-hosts, it really seems like the one he enjoys most is Brunt, he seems annoyed when Brunt is gone. πŸ™ When Brunt and Bob are together though, Bob seems a lot happier πŸ™‚

Ami Angelwings
February 7, 2012 5:58 pm

I really still think Bob is awesome, and that day he did interviews by himself was pretty awesome and a good reminder of that :3 My issue is just Cox and Shannon :\ I think they bring out the worst of the show, and even Bob seems less on his game when he’s with them. Bob also seems to adapt to his co-hosts… he’s more sophomoric when Cox is around (also Cox has no sense of humour when it comes to Bob and his cuteness, whether it’s reading Winnie the Pooh or other things, Cox makes fun of Bob and is a general jerk, while Brunt laughs and they have fun) and when he’s around Shannon he suddenly sounds really old, and they talk about TV stuff 30 or 40 years before I was born. :\ But with Brunt, it’s either really good sports analysis, or their ramblings are cute and fun (I loved the lost squirrel segment, or when Bob was wondering if you could ever hit bottom if you fell into an abyss). πŸ™‚

mario
mario
February 7, 2012 5:59 pm

Hey I do agree with some of the negetive coments of Bob and PTS his bantering about with Brunt ,Kyperos and others(FOB) do get stale at times and not great for radio but at times it can be funny and entertaining….and people still listen because there is no alterative and is good( #1 ) at what he dose with all his warts..

itchy butt
itchy butt
February 7, 2012 6:10 pm

TSN has a radio station? :p

Dok
Dok
February 7, 2012 6:11 pm

I guess I am the weird one, I listen all the time and enjoy it a lot. The friday round table that was panned on here, I listened to and didn’t mind

Ticky
Ticky
February 7, 2012 6:27 pm

I guess I am the weird one, I can’t stand listening to any of him. It just bores me to tears and has me looking at my watch wondering if time could possibly move any slower.

February 7, 2012 6:31 pm

@ DOK, were you smoking something good on Friday during the roandtable?
@Ticky, why than do you listen/watch?

itchy butt
itchy butt
February 7, 2012 6:37 pm

Stupid question. I’m so out to lunch with TV sports personalities. Who are those 2 idiots in the McDonald’s commercial for the HNIC contest?

Rome
Rome
February 7, 2012 6:38 pm

I listen to TSNR sometimes, I thought today interview with Branch was really good about the CHL making a player sit a couple of games because he skipped the prospect game even though he had a doctor note.

They asked strong questions, the highlight was when Branch said “they (as in people who put on the Prospect game) thought he could have at least made the game” either Cybulski or Macko responded with “Who are “they” and what made them think they can override a doctor note” ,

itchy butt
itchy butt
February 7, 2012 6:47 pm

OMFG that’s HRUDY????? Since when did he become Mr GQ?

You can tell I never watch HNIC. πŸ™‚

February 7, 2012 6:55 pm

In my opinion the three highest profile shows on 590 (Brady/Lang, the noon hockey show, and McCown) are far superior to 1050 so those are the times I listen to 590 the most……………from 10 to 12 and from 1 to 4 on weekdays I try to flip back and forth but I usually find myself listening more to 1050, mainly because I am not a big Blair (and baseball) fan and I haven’t really warmed up to Tim/Sid yet…………..I like the guests that the Dan Patrick show and the Hayes show tend to get

On weeknights and on weekends I don’t listen to either station much but when I do I definitely listen much more to 1050 than 590……………I am just not a fan at all of the hosts that 590 has on the air at those times

Ticky
Ticky
February 7, 2012 7:01 pm

@Darren
I haven’t watched in over six months. If regulars are complaining about it now, I can’t imagine how brutal I would find it.

I listen to Tim and Sid, having followed them from The Score, and it’s the only time I’ve ever listened to anything on The Fan.

itchy butt
itchy butt
February 7, 2012 7:03 pm

Tim and Sid have the right mix of sports talk and goofing around. Plus the fact that they never have Gino from Woodbridge blathering on about who should start in goal!

alex
alex
February 7, 2012 7:13 pm

The worse pts is, the more page views tsm gets, so he is probably happy when cox and shannon are on the show.

sam in oshawa
sam in oshawa
February 7, 2012 7:21 pm

Congrats.to BOB,nice job with Brunt.Today he was on his game,the conversation flowed,interviews after 5:00pm wre interesting grabbed me kept me near the radio.Mallard chimmed in about hockey in Quebec City with Sean Gordon and the interaction with the 4 of them with BOB in control and engaged was fun to listen to,this is my kind of radio.Lots more of the old pro at the helm and the slagging will subside,at least from me…

February 7, 2012 7:23 pm

I’m still a huge PTS/McCown fan. Like everyone else (it seems) I prefer when McCown has an intellectual cohost like Brunt, Grange, Friedman or Arthur (in the old days) over guys like Cox or Shannon. But, even with those guys cohosting I think it’s clearly the best sports radio show in the city. I think Mike Boston is right – there are complaints about the show on here because so many love the show and get upset when they feel it’s not as good as it could be.

I’m by no means a Fan or nothing guy (before the changes PTS was the only show I really liked on the station), but there isn’t anything on TSN that I would prefer over The Fan right now. Patrick is excellent, but I’m a huge baseball fan and make a point to tune in when Blair talks Jays/MLB. I’m not big on Hockey Central, but Hayes does not grab me at all. I think Tim and Sid are great, to this point. Really fun show.

I think Cybulski is OK. But the show is a bit awkward sometimes. I’d have listened to him over Landry/Stellick, Hogan or Farraway definitely. But I just don’t think he matches up well against McCown. He may get better though.

alex
alex
February 7, 2012 7:46 pm

Based on the posted schedules, it appears to be one of those days where 590 and 1050 have the same guest back to back.

Presumably, a good day to compare the shows.

Stan
Stan
February 7, 2012 8:14 pm

TSN is a far superior station to Sportsnet, and one day TSN radio will surpass the FAN: for the most part better personalities and better guests. FOB, Kypreos, Wilner, Cox … no thanks.

Dok
Dok
February 7, 2012 9:23 pm

@darren

Not a thing, I listen via podcast, threw it in Saturday afternoon while playing xbox. I guess I just accept that Cox is going to be a jackass. I like Shannon most of the time as well, so it was fine with me.

My podcast schedule runs Marek vs wyachinki,, then 3 hours of Tim and Sid followed by 3 hours of PTS so I get a Lot o the fan. I’ve tried some of the TSN stuff and I just find them boring.

Ami Angelwings
February 8, 2012 4:49 am

Were people really upset that Bob was sad that Brunt wasn’t there? He wasn’t complaining to him the entire program and it sounded a lot like Bob missed him πŸ™ I really doubt Bob is going to whine about it all 9 days. I think he’s had his fill after today πŸ™‚ Listening to Brunt with Bob for the first time since mid December was so refreshing though. Bob just sounds happier with Brunt around and I enjoy listening to him so much more with Brunt around πŸ™‚ I hope so much that the people who said they voted on the fan poll made it pretty clear that Brunt is the desired co-host and not Cox or Shannon and that the Fan590 gets a clue and finds a better secondary co-host (Grange? Perkins? Somebody else?)

cam
cam
February 8, 2012 9:48 am

PTS is just a very different and I think a much better show without Cox! I remain engaged with PTS because for me it is a quality show which is much better than any of the alternatives. Bob does have his faults but I believe he is also the best in this market at what he does. There are times when the show is on a topic that does not interest me, or the guest, co-host or McCown are going down a path I don’t like so I switch it off.

We are an impassioned group when it comes to voicing our opinions on local media and radio in particular. As a result when it gets heated lines are crossed, so when someone like McCown or MacLean bight back it really does not surprise nor bother me. It shows how TSM’s efforts have some influence, but, realistically we are small community of listeners and as such a data point. It may be interesting opinions for the broadcast community but unless ratings shift I think it remains interesting only less so.

I am different from most here as up until recently, I regularly tuned in only to PTS and the Jays broadcasts. The arrival of Tim and Sid have changed that. They are fast becoming a favourite, because of the strength of their show. Other than that – it is primarily TSNR unless again there is a segment of no interest, with the exception of Brady and Lang. I am over 50 and when Brady first started he went after people over 50 multiple times finally admitting he is an ageist. His words not mine. As a result, the show never gets a listen anymore. Not a lot of impact, but I guess my own little stand on principles.

February 8, 2012 11:58 am

memo to John Shannon: if you’re interviewing a guest whose expertise is statistical history, it is much more interesting for the audience if you let him report the facts than if you interrupt him to tell everyone what you thought was the right answer. just a friendly suggestion from the department of the bleeding obvious.

February 8, 2012 3:59 pm

@ Mike in Boston.
LMFAO, truer words have never been spoken, he is the co-king along with Maclean for interrupting and not knowing when to shut the hell up!

February 8, 2012 4:01 pm

How ugly is the Jacket McCown is wearing today? Wow, someone really needs to dress Bob. Today being Feb 8th