Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown. Stephen Brunt co-hosts from 5pm:

400 – Christine Simpson, Sportsnet
420 – Ian Leggat, Sportsnet golf analyst
520 – James Klotz, Toronto lawyer and member of FIFAs Independent Governance
540 – Alan Jackson, BBC Radio, on the resignation of England’s manager Fabio Capello
600 – Bryan Colangelo, Raptors GM
620 – Doug Melvin, Milwaukee Brewers GM
640 – Neil Smith, former NY Rangers GM

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

430 – Darren Dreger (TSN Hockey Insider)
445 – Gareth Wheeler (TSN 1050)
500 – Fab 5
520 – Bob McKenzie (TSN Hockey Insider)
530 – Chuck D (Rap Icon, Public Enemy)
600 – Michael Landsberg in studio (‘Darkness and Hope: Depression, Sports and Me’)
630 – Brian Cooper (S & E Sponsorship Group and TSN 1050 Business Analyst)

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Bell Let’s Talk Day Special
Kevin Bieksa
Clara Hughes

Tonight on Sportsline:

Will the NHL abolish stage fighting, do you agree with Fabio Capellos decision to quit England’s National Soccer team, is Owen Nolan a Hall of Famer and Brandon Jacobs tells Gisele Bundchen to “shut up!” Join Mark Hebscher & Bubba O’Neil tonight at 7, on CHCH.

February 8, 2012 5:40 pm

I’m gonna say it and know how much grief i will get. It is so obvious from any conversation McCown has ever had where the subject was Tiger Woods that he has a strong hate on for him and always has. IMO it is because Tiger is black, I know this is a touchy subject but that is what i hear whenever i hear him discuss Woods. I also know that people could bring up Cito Gastons comments about he thought Bob was a racist but this feeling I have has nothing to do with that. Again this is my opinion and apoligise if it brings up any hard feelings. I always enjoy hearing Leggo’s take on the state of the game, just don’t care for McCown’s.

alex
alex
February 8, 2012 5:54 pm

Nice to see brunt helping to produce the show today.

Btw, the 520 guest is working with fifa, nor fiba.

February 8, 2012 5:55 pm

And believe me, I don’t throw that around lightly or without thought, in fact I hate bringing that type of discussion up but too man y times over the years I just get that really creepy, hair stand up, tingles in weird spots feelings in hearing McCown discuss anything race related.

itchy butt
itchy butt
February 8, 2012 6:17 pm

Well, time to eat crow!

I found out that C-Balls was going to have Public Enemy’s Chuck D on, so after enduring one of the more painful PTSs ever (skipped the Olympics/Carrie Underwood talk and “Leggo” bores me as I’m not a golf fan), I checked out TSN1050. It was an awesome interview. Looks like I might have to pay more attention, especially when Bob spends his time acting like he’s sitting in a golf cart waiting to tee off.

February 8, 2012 6:24 pm

I tried the drive home slot for tsn a few times and turned off after a short time so i can’t really say i have given a fair chance. I think it would have gotten very interesting had Tim & Sid went to tsn and were given the 4-7 slot and also had the boost of being on tsn2 as well, I could than see myself going there more often than not!

February 8, 2012 6:24 pm

If Darren isn’t calling McCown a racist then what exactly is he calling him ??

I guess Darren wasn’t listening when McCown talked glowingly in the past on numerous occasions about people like Jim Brown………….or Muhammad Ali………….or Pinball Clemons………….or Butch Carter……………..or many many other black people

itchy butt
itchy butt
February 8, 2012 6:27 pm

Bob is not racist. Let’s just put it to bed.

February 8, 2012 6:28 pm

What i was trying to say was the element of race (hence Tiger being black( plays a huge part in why he has always had such a hate on for him, and yes i was listening when he spoke with or about the above mentioned. AGAIN, as I thought I had clearly stated this is MY OPINION, I certainly don’t expect everyone to agree, just thought ya could actually have an intelligent discussion on the topic, as usual I was wrong, at least with ‘Mike’

alex
alex
February 8, 2012 6:32 pm

I figured bob didnt like tiger because he was xhasing nicklaus, i assume, being from cumbus, is on bobs pantheln of athletes along w ali and jim brown.

February 8, 2012 6:34 pm

Maybe if Darren provided even a shred of evidence to support his “opinion” it would be easier for the rest of us to have an “intelligent discussion” on the subject

February 8, 2012 6:35 pm

Alex that could very well be the case, I hadn’t really given much thought to that part. And thinking more on it I guess being Black really has nothing to do with it as he has just as much or more hate for Mickelson. I just don’t quite understand how an athlete gets in his good books?

February 8, 2012 6:36 pm

i was pretty young when the Cito/Bob incident took place. Does anyone have a good run-down of the evidence that Cito presented for why Bob (and a couple others) were singled out as racist?

itchy butt
itchy butt
February 8, 2012 6:38 pm

Bob hates Tiger for the same reason a lot of people do. He’s an a-hole. It’s well documented.

February 8, 2012 6:40 pm

Isn’t that a classic case of the pot calling the kettle?

itchy butt
itchy butt
February 8, 2012 6:43 pm

I’m guessing Bob hung up on you once?

February 8, 2012 6:49 pm

Hey Mike in Boston……………the only evidence Cito had was that the three of them (McCown, Simmons, and Dave Langford) were highly critical of him even though the Blue Jays had a very successful record with him as manager

February 8, 2012 8:03 pm

try this link Mike for a better view of Bob’s version of Cito and his relationship.
Skip ahead to the 19:30 mark.

sam in oshawa
sam in oshawa
February 8, 2012 10:57 pm

I know one thing BOB hates more than anything you bright bulbs have already posted,being well dressed, my god his wardrobe is shocking for all his coin and connections to top notch clothiers he could make any “wise guy”wince in pain with his appearance.He makes Shannon look like he just walked out of a GQ ad.C’mon man get hooked up with Kyppers people and get some decent threads…P.S. tell Brunt to ditch the rug…BOB is not a racist and Tiger does not live the black cultural experience,he thrives on riches and entitlement,the only colour that matters to him is “GREEN”…

Curt
Curt
February 8, 2012 11:07 pm

Bob is many things and maybe past his best before date, but I just don’t see racist. I think the problem he had with Cito was that he didn’t appreciate Bob’s criticism of him as a manager (deserved or not) and jumped to the conclusion that that criticism was based on race. Understandably, Bob freaked out and the “hate on” for Cito was cemented.

Regarding Tiger, well there is a lot there to dislike, but Bob also has a reverence for Jack (his generation) and would probably be reluctant to appreciate anybody approaching or breaking his majors record.

As someone mentioned before, Bob loves Ali, Jim Brown, etc. For me, it’s more of a generational thing – he’s an old fart that is romantic about sports heroes from his era. To suggest he’s racist is silly and not based on any evidence I’ve seen.

February 8, 2012 11:10 pm

Well said Curt.

Ami Angelwings
February 9, 2012 8:35 am

I don’t think Bob is racist, but I also understand Cito’s point of view because he’s been through a lot of crap in his life and he understands that racism isn’t always overt. You don’t need a rule that says “black people can’t play” to be racist. American football, in the past, seeing black QBs as “athletic” as being not smart enough, etc vs white QBs who were smart, try hard, plucky, etc is racist. “The Bell Curve” claiming that Asian people are smarter than white people who are smarter than black people is racist even though white people have placed themselves “in the middle”. Racism doesn’t have to be overtly KKK cross burning to be racism. Does it mean Bob is racist? I personally, don’t think so, but I also understand how Cito, with his experiences would think that the criticism of him despite his successes wouldn’t be the same if he were white.

Rome
Rome
February 9, 2012 1:21 pm

I am as critical of McCown as it gets, he can be unfair, hypocritical, two-faced, pig headed, etc etc etc. But I just don’t see a racist in him.

sam in oshawa
sam in oshawa
February 9, 2012 5:38 pm

The comment that gets my attention from the sports media world is when someone refers to a black athlete as “well spoken”.What does that mean?If iam alittle offended i can just imagine what that will do to said athlete…