Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

It’s official – it’s Leafs/Wings in the 2013 Winter Classic. What’s that got to do with an image of Pebble Beach? Absolutely nothing – the AT&T started today at Pebble Beach in California. It’s one of the great weekends from a viewer’s perspective for those that watch golf. And, it’s Tiger Woods first tournament on the PGA tour this season.

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown. Stephen Brunt co-hosts from 5pm:

400 – Mike Zeisberger, Toronto Sun
520 – Ken Holland, Red Wings GM
540 – Jack Armstrong, Raptors colour analyst
600 – Bob Ryan, Boston Globe
620 – Harlem Globetrotters Tiny Sturgess & Slick Willie Shaw
640 – Glenn Healy, HNIC

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

430 – James Duthie (NHL on TSN)
500 – Fab 5
520 – Bob McKenzie (TSN Hockey Insider)
530 – Owen Nolan (22 seasons in the NHL, retired this week)
545 – Richard Griffin (Toronto Star)
600 – Jonas Siegel (TSN 1050) and Darren Dreger (TSN Hockey Insider)
630 – Marc Crawford (TSN Hockey Analyst)
645 – Steve Simmons (Sun Media and TSN ‘The Reporters’)

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp
Lyndon Byers and Rob Ray

Tonight on Sportsline:

Has Tim Thomas caused a divide in the Bruins locker room, is Lebron James the NBA’s “Blame Boy,” if the Blue Jays evict the Argonauts where will they play, and can Canada support 9 NHL franchises? Join Mark Hebscher & Bubba O’Neil tonight at 7, on CHCH.

Darren
Darren
February 9, 2012 6:39 pm

Really enjoyed the 4 O’Clock hour today with MIKE ZEISBERGER of the Toronto Sun, nice and relaxing. Plus having Bobby Ryan always puts a smile to my face.

Ami Angelwings
February 9, 2012 6:52 pm

I don’t always listen to PTS live because I’m not always driving during that time, usually I listen on podcast, but is it normal for the sports update guy to say “and now back to McCown and Brunt” instead of “and now back to Primetime Sports”? Because I don’t ever remember hearing that in the past, but then, as I said, I don’t always listen, so maybe it’s normal to announce his co-host. I was wonder if this is new because if it is it might be an indication that the FAN is aware of how popular that duo is vs Shannon or Cox, and so they want anybody tuning in to know Brunt is on and stay on the dial instead of assuming Shannon or Cox.

(If this is normal, ignore me 🙂 )

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
February 9, 2012 7:18 pm

Ami, as far as I know, it is not normal, and is being done IMO for exactly the reason you articulated so well. I almost exclusively listen only when Brunt is on, so why wouldn’t they do everything possible to make sure when Brunt is on that all the listeners are aware of it.

The drop-off from McCown/Brunt to Cox and Shannon is equivalent to the drop-off from the top 4 tennis players in the world to the rest of the field, in other words, dramatic. Losing Arthur was a huge mistake by the FAN. Can you imagine listening to PTI when you are going to get Brunt/Arthur on an almost continuous basis? How amazing would that be.

Bob is a different host when Brunt is next to him, and I would love to see a ratings breakdown when Brunt is hosting versus the rest of the field.

cam
cam
February 9, 2012 7:22 pm

raptors devotee nice to see you back!

sam in oshawa
sam in oshawa
February 9, 2012 7:40 pm

I think Arthur is a lot like Grange,he did not take a back seat to BOB when it came to an opinion.Quite a few times Arthur would disagree with BOB and be very firm in his opinion.Just a guess but I don’t think BOB is all broken up about Arthur being at TSN.Still think Grange should be a part of PTS,his divergent opinion is missed.Ami is right Brunt is the lead in to let the faithful know that the two other goofs are away…

Alex
Alex
February 9, 2012 7:44 pm

I noticed it too the other day. Figured it was going to be done with other hosts, but hasnt been so far.

I did notice that bob made another “whenevr brunt is here” quip today.

Btw, TSN seems to be back to no full podcasts. Just when i compliment them. They also dropped one of the podcast segments of the reporters the last couple weeks.

Ticky
Ticky
February 9, 2012 9:25 pm

I received an email survey from TSN today focusing on TSN Radio. I especially enjoyed answering the question “What are the reasons you rarely listen to TSN?”
I doubt a random email survey is really going to help them, at least not in the short-term.

Roger
Roger
February 10, 2012 8:31 am

Listening to PTS last night, I was hoping to play “Brunt poker” on the way home in the car. To play, you take a shot of anything alcoholic whenever Brunt says “there ya go”. It was difficult to play in the car as our MTO laws prohibits me from drinking while operating a motor vehicle but I can only imagine if I was home listening, I would have been hammered before 6pm.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
February 10, 2012 8:58 am

Funny Roger how I never picked up on Brunt saying “there ya go”. I guess the reason why is because Brunt is the only sidekick on with Bob who elicits Bob’s complete respect and admiration, while allowing Bob to conduct an entertaining, witty, and enlightened show while he is there, in stark contrast to the grouch he turns into when either Cox or other FOB’s are there, while turning the show into a mockery of useless small talk and banter with no real debate.

There have been some other complaints in the past about Brunt supposedly stuttering, which I also found to be without any credibility. I appreciate 100% what Brunt brings to the table when he is there, and do not even pick up on any of these small, irrelevant issues that I just can’t figure out why are sometimes brought up. Brunt is awesome, and without him there I would not be listening to PTS at all.

Of course, this is all just my opinion on Brunt, and how he interacts with Bob, and Roger and anybody else that feels differently on it can post their views and I respect them for doing that, I just vehemently disagree.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
February 10, 2012 9:00 am

Cam, thanks for the kind words. For some reason just have not been too interested in posting, or even reading the daily blogs each day. I just did some catching up on what I have missed. Part of that is due to the lack of huge media issues that come up, as when there is big news I come here right away.

Roger
Roger
February 10, 2012 11:22 am

Fair enough Rap-Dev. No doubt Brunt is a good writer but as a radio co-host, not so much.

You would think an accomplished writer would be able to respond with a little more originality than “there ya go”.

Curt
Curt
February 10, 2012 12:20 pm

I really appreciate Brunt too, but too often he does tend to let Bob ramble on annoyingly about nothing. Still, he’s worlds apart from Magoo and Nasty Boy. I no longer listen when those two are on. Brunt is easily the best co-host, but I wish Arthur was still around. More Friedman would bring me back also – he’s brilliant (even for a hockey guy…)

Ami Angelwings
February 10, 2012 4:43 pm

I like his “there ya go”s 🙂 I’m only annoyed if people do the same thing over and over again if that thing is really annoying or annoying sounding. Brunt’s voice doesn’t go up like Cox or Shannon, he doesn’t say “THERE YA GO!” or say it to shut up somebody. It’s usually him amused at something Bob said and it’s like… friendly 🙂