Tuesday Toronto Sports Ramblings

By TSM

So, time for pitchers and catchers. I know the baseball diehards are all geeked up, but the rest of us Blue Jays fans, am I the only feeling blue after this off season? I don’t know why but I expected more.

Speaking of baseball, I finally watched moneyball. Movie of the year, REALLY? You’d think with all the flying I’ve done I would have seen most of the nominated movies but I haven’t. I will say this, it’s a good movie, it’s a fun movie, but if this is worthy of an Oscar the field sucks. most Oscar movies to me are the type I would watch again. I have no interest in seeing Moneyball again.

So the Leafs are down 4 in a row. The trade deadline is weeks away and one has to wonder what is going on in Brian Burke’s head. Does he hold firm, make a splash or just tweak. The problem I think he has is that the team in an enigma. They aren’t that good. They aren’t that bad. They are just okay. How does one improve an okay team without selling the future? More importantly how do you operate not knowing what the future holds. I’ve said it before but I will be totally stunned if there is not some sort of work stoppage in the NHL. Does that factor in? Here’s the kiss of death. I say Burke tweaks, a minor move or two, that we will all get worked up about and that’s about it.

Damien Cox has a good story on Rick Nash. I so prefer when a scribe takes a stance. I read the story as if to say Burke should pull the plug.

“Whether this is the right time is more complicated. To deal for Nash, you’re essentially suggesting this is a team that believes it can compete for a Stanley Cup within the next three or four years. Without a bona fide starting goalie, that’s a claim the Leafs might like to make but can’t. Still, the overall age of the roster suggests this is a team that will have many young players getting into their prime playing days in that time frame.

So sure, they have the assets, and the timing is probably right.”

Compare that with Zeisberger’s story where he says it’s unlikely. My take is simple, it’s easy to report the news. Take a side. State an opinion. It’s so easy to write that a move was good or bad after the fact.

“Think about it, people. If the cost of getting Phil Kessel was two first rounders and a second round pick, what kind of lucrative cache of draft choices, prospects and players would Nash net, especially near the deadline when asking prices always are inflated?”

Man oh man, I have to ask you all, what has Greg Brady done to you all? I have never seen the fortunes of an on air personality tanked so quickly. Not a day goes by without one of you ripping on him. Is it really that bad in your opinion?

Hey, I am looking for 1-2 helping hands here with the site. Email me at torontosportsmedia at gmale dot com if you can help write.

alex
alex
February 15, 2012 3:52 am

Is zeisberger a cumnist or a beat guy? If hes the latter, i dont mind no strong editorialsl voice. If hes a columnist, he should.

Hey tsm, what happened to the fan list for top msmes?

d.
d.
February 15, 2012 9:28 am

Greg Brady lost me when it became clear that he was nothing more than a troll, rather than the objective voice he portrays himself as having He baits people – painting doomsday scenarios with nearly every move a local club makes, when things aren’t nearly so dire.

February 15, 2012 9:56 am

if you’re not already a Jays follower then the team did nothing to motivate you to become one this off-season. So you should keep doing what you’ve been doing for the last decade: have a look at where they are in late June and decide whether to pay attention depending on how many games back they are.

if you’re a Jays fan then, like last year, there are a number of unknowns (Lind, Morrow, Rasmus, Snider) and a similar number of optimistic cases (Santos, JPA, Lawrie, Alvarez). When you combine this with the established talent (Bautista, Romero, Escobar, the bullpen), then you can make the case that the team could be competitive (85-90 wins).

But there is a high probability that some people will regress to offset any internal improvements. So it’s highly likely this team will hover around the .500 mark most of the year.

February 15, 2012 10:02 am

I don’t listen to the morning show, so I have no opinion, but here’s a question for the throngs of Brady critics: has he changed significantly from his 640 days? He was a darling around here when he was baby-sitting Watters.

February 15, 2012 1:59 pm

I think people on here complain about Brady (and McCown) because it’s what most people here seem to be listening to. As others have said, you never really hear complaints about Richards or Cybulski – but I think that’s more of a result that not many are tuned in.

Pudge72
Pudge72
February 15, 2012 2:21 pm

I have very few qualms with Brady. His energy, humour, and the ability to lay the verbal smackdown on Lang when he says something moronic, are to be commended. While the morning show standard was set quite low by Stellick/Landry, Brady is miles beyond it. He could stand to drop 3/4 of his Detroit references (though, as someone who goes to Detroit events three or four times a year, it doesn’t bother me as much as it does others).

He is also waaay better than Mike Richards, who (outside of his chats with Chris Mortensen about the NFL) I have found most of the time to be boring, and quite a disappointment. Richards may be hamstrung a bit in the 8 am hour with having to toss out “Blue Breakfast”, or whatever it’s called, on a daily basis. The ‘all hockey, all the time’ approach of TSNR is the main reason why I usually only tune in to Dan Patrick, if I leave the Fan or WGR during the day.

Chef Mike in Burlington
February 15, 2012 2:39 pm

As for Brady, too early for my life so i have no opinion, but bitch as we do, his last ratings book was good, and isn’t that all that really matters?

I hope Mike Hogan gets a daily gig again, I liked his style and tone…

bean
bean
February 15, 2012 2:52 pm

to the last commenter please no Mike Hogan on regular basis having left or fired twice at FAN 590 its obvious he should stick to being play by play with Argos which he is not to good at anyways. Guest appearances on TSN 1050 RADIO is as much as I can take from MH. As fpr Brady he’s much more noisy and over the top vs. his time with Watters. He must have some tallent if he calls Super Bowl games for BBC radio. Tim an Sid over the top and never take calls from isteners isn’t it why the medium is called ‘talk radio’ not speak to ourseves radio for 3 hours daily ?

February 15, 2012 6:15 pm

““if you’re not already a Jays follower then the team did nothing to motivate you to become one this off-season…”

Mike in Boston, very well said, simple but not simplistic. I wanted a reason to come back again, but sure didn’t one.”

I wanted the Jays to make a splash this offseason, but I don’t have too much of a problem that they didn’t. If only because their ‘ace in the hole’ is their deep farm system. So the ability to use those pieces doesn’t go away. And if the right deal didn’t present itself, then I’m OK with waiting until the right deal comes.

Having said that, I totally get what MIB and Chef are saying. The team is young and exciting, and it seemed lots of people were ready to jump back on board. From a PR standpoint, there’s no doubt the team didn’t please the people in that position.

Neal
Neal
February 16, 2012 12:42 am

I expected more change in the offseason with the Jays than a revamped bullpen but I believe AA is taking more of a wait and see approach with the following: 1. What is Rasmus? 2. Can Snider win the LF job and hit on a consistent basis 3. Can Lind rebound? 4. Can Kelly Johnson contribute offensively 5. Is Cecil a big league starter or just a good AAA pitcher

If these 5 elements work well, this year’s edition of the Jays should be fine. But if there’s indications by early May that these 5 guys are not working out, then one would expect AA to start making significant changes and it will be yet another year of re-tooling. The Snider ordeal will be answered by the end of spring training.

Petti
Petti
February 16, 2012 8:00 am

I stopped listening to Brady and Lang and went over to SiriusXM. The amount and quality of sports talk is far superior. I just couldn’t take Brady’s fake laugh after so many of his comments. Brady and Lang are best when talking football, anything else just annoys me. I tried Mike Richards, but the show is a bore and his schtick is just not funny.
I still watch McCowan after work, especially when Brunt is on.

February 16, 2012 8:21 am

thanks Chef — i actually had you in mind when i wrote that.

Daniel — i’m totally on board with the strategy of using your prospects to land quality players NOT available in free agency. my concern is that this is not a sustainable strategy for continued success (the mantra this organization keeps stressing). If you look at the recent deals, it costs 2-4 high level prospects to get a Halladay/Greinke/Gio/A-Gonzales/Pineda/etc. So, at most you can make 2 of these deals and then you need to refill the farm system. I don’t see how this team can succeed using that model unless they are also willing to sign high level free agents. This buys you time to keep developing your farm system, so you can either trade to plug holes or fill those holes internally.

Il Duce
Il Duce
February 17, 2012 4:25 pm

It doesn’t surprise me Brady is losing favour wih many, I’ve been saying for awhile he’s unlistenable. His whole act of trying to be funny is a bore, the only person who thinks Greg Brady is funny is Greg Brady… and maybe his mother. I feel sorry for Lange, who has to sit beside him.

All successful radio shows are about content, not just about reading the scores or discussing the obvious like if the Leafs need a power forward and what do you give up? BORING!! It’s about taking that conetent and entertaining.

I know he gets drilled on this site but I enjoy listening to Mike Richards. For me he’s funny, witty and entertaining.