Changes At TSN Radio Toronto

by TSM

Ahhhh, the power of the Maple Leafs.

Put the team in a playoff race and changes will follow.

TSN Radio Toronto has moved a hockey show into the morning slot, 9-12 (not early morning, sorry) Scott MacArthur will host Gameday to talk all things Maple Leafs and hockey through the NHL Playoffs.

Bryan Hayes stays at the 12-4 slot.

Dan Patrick, who’s ratings have slipped of late, moves into the overnight or night time slot on a syndicated basis.

All in all a smart move in my opinion.

Ask and you shall receive!

I told you, it makes for much better coverage when a reporter takes a stand and just doesn’t report the news. It appears that Mike Zeisberger took the not so subtle hint when he went from it will never happen to:

“And it’s a prime reason why the Maple Leafs should make a strong run for him.”

There you go Mike.

Now we all feel better.

So when Burke doesn’t get him, you can say, see I told you all he should get him.
So when Burke does get him and delivers the team forward you can say, see I told you he should get him.
So when Burke does get him and he’s a total bust here you can say, oh, never mind….

Seriously though, it makes for much better reading/watching/listening when a stance is taken or a point made. I have much more respect for that even when it’s wrong after the fact.

Meanwhile, out here in Seattle, we are supposed to be learning pretty soon about the plans on a new sports arena. Word is that a deal is close with an NBA franchise in mind and you have to believe that the NHL is keen on the market with several NHL teams hurting and one owned by the league.

More later

Alex
Alex
February 16, 2012 1:29 pm

Hockey central had a seattle tv guy on who said if the arena is “mostly private financed” they would need a 2nd tenant (nhl) to help pay the bills.

dennes7
dennes7
February 16, 2012 1:39 pm

That’s a bummer, I like the DP show.

Stan
Stan
February 16, 2012 3:00 pm

Great move by TSN radio; makes a strong lineup stronger.

February 16, 2012 3:17 pm

Maybe it’s just me, but I think this is an odd move.

I wasn’t aware Dan Patrick’s ratings had slipped, but the last I had seen is that he was the only show on TSN Radio that was holding it’s own against The Fan. Dan Patrick was pretty distinct from Blair. Now you’re going to have a show that will probably be similar to Blair, but with a lower profile, relatively unknown host.

Well, good luck to them.

“Scott MacArthur will host Gameday to talk all things Maple Leafs and hockey through the NHL Playoffs. ”

Is it a hockey specific show? Or do you just mean, as a sports radio show in Toronto, he’s going to talk a lot of hockey.

Pudge72
Pudge72
February 16, 2012 3:20 pm

Well, there’s less reason now to tune into Leafs Ra…I mean, TSNR, with Dan Patrick gone from weekday listening. DP was the best thing going on TSNR during the week (some of Hayes content can be good listening). That said, when I’m in the GTA, I will give this new show more than one listen to see how much of it is Leafs focused.

If the new show is comprised of Jonas Siegel reporting for the fourth time in as many hours that Reimer was first off the ice, so he MIGHT be the starter for the next game, or some such fluff, I’m not interested. If they come out with a look around the entire NHL and how the playoffs match-ups are developing, with interviews with people that actually follow other teams on a daily basis, I will be a lot more likely to listen.

mario
mario
February 16, 2012 3:28 pm

Not a bad move I guess …but I guess we will just hearing alot more of the TSN talking puck heads…please help us all….but I dont see this helping thier ratings… l

robinaurora
robinaurora
February 16, 2012 3:52 pm

I like Dan Patrick a lot. I doubt this will work. Not a fan of Scott MacArthur at all. He states the obvious far too often and gets really granular with very minor details. I find he has a hard time filling time, I likely won’t listen. I think I will switch to 640 all AM now. Neither that Fan not TSN have anything I want to listen to.

Ticky
Ticky
February 16, 2012 3:59 pm

1) Who is Scott MacArthur?
2) I didn’t think it was possible TSNR could have more hockey talk, now this… *vomit*

February 16, 2012 4:20 pm

Scott MacArthur worked for several years in Ottawa before joining 1050 last year……………he has been doing a show on 1050 with Jim Tatti on most weeknights………………..for those who think Brady makes too many references to Detroit you probably won’t like MacArthur’s frequent references to the city of Ottawa and the Senators

This is a curious move but I guess we should not be all that surprised……………many people here (including TSM) predicted that 1050 would eventually go all local with their main weekday lineup………….I am disappointed because I have become a pretty big fan of Patrick’s show……………it was always nice to have a quality alternative whenever Blair has an hour of Leafs phone-in, which unfortunately is almost every day

Ticky
Ticky
February 16, 2012 4:37 pm

Obviously it makes sense to have all local content, but:
1) Dan Patrick (IMO) is the best show on the station
2) Why make it an all-hockey show? They can’t broaden their horizons a little?

February 16, 2012 4:40 pm

If they were going to go with local from 9 to 12, I’m just surprised they didn’t go with someone a bit higher profile. No offense to them, but MacArthur and Bryan Hayes every day from 10 to 4 kind of flies under the radar in my opinion.

Ami Angelwings
February 16, 2012 5:06 pm

Hockey is like the safest route to go in Canada… you can always stick some sort of hockey show somewhere and ppl will prolly listen (she says with no clue what the ratings for hockey central are) xD

I just want some interesting personalities on TSN that don’t feel like they have to be immature jerks to listen to when I’m bored of the FAN :\ And I don’t want syndicated because I want something local with things that are relevant to me, not talking about US college football. It’s just whenever I tune into Cybalski and company they’re talking about something Hollywood related, or movies, or making stupid jokes… they had that silly autotune thing with Bruce Arthur (I can’t remember who they autotuned) and when Onrait and whatshisname were guesting, I tuned in and heard them talking about some gross thing that Onrait saw in a men’s toilet.

If you suck at banter (like Brunt and Bob are generally excellent at banter, so I’m okay when they banter), then just… talk about the sports… analysis, opinion…

mike
mike
February 16, 2012 5:22 pm

The comedy of errors at TSNR continues. Launching a radio station that is supposed to be “the evolution of sports radio” with a hack morning host and minimal podcasts for months is simply inexcusable and if those in charge have not been fired than TSN deserves their lack of success. Just recently they have finally podcasted full hours rather than only interviews but still all of TSN is podcasted under one heading and I guarantee many people stopped subscribing because they continue to get WPG and MON shows. I can only assume that Onrait and O’toole were asked to do a show together and they declined because they are the only two people across any TSN platform that have chemistry and now the only legitimate radio show, DPshow, is being buried. Luckily he can still be found on iTunes and his own website so most people still probably listen and bypass the TSN commercials. Cybulski’s total lack of interview ability has to be a major concern considering the timeslot and competition and if Richards is still employed 6 months from now it would be a miracle. All in all TSNR is in major trouble and the majority of problems were there from launch

Mike
Mike
February 16, 2012 5:49 pm

With this change I’m wondering if this will lead to a increased presence of either Matt Cauz or Mike Hogan. I know on Sundays Mike Hogan and Jim Tatti co host TSN Radio Game Day… and they just recently added a Saturday 3-6 show with TSN Football Insider David Naylor…..

February 16, 2012 6:01 pm

if this sucks the hockey talking heads away from the other shows (Hayes/Cybulski) then i’m all for it. I suspect it won’t. On the bright side, if this opens up the timeslot for some more local talk during the non-hockey months then that’s a good thing. Toronto needs some fresh baseball voices, and TSN could compete for that audience with a Jays/MLB focused show during the mid-morning. Does TSN have a beat reporter for the Jays for the upcoming season?

February 16, 2012 6:06 pm

“Toronto needs some fresh baseball voices, and TSN could compete for that audience with a Jays/MLB focused show during the mid-morning. Does TSN have a beat reporter for the Jays for the upcoming season?”

That’d be awesome! I’m not expecting it though. TSN Radio wasn’t exactly top notch with it’s Jays/baseball coverage last season. And by that I mean they basically didn’t have any coverage at all. The Argos must have been talked about 5 times more, which was kind of a weird strategy. (I guess because Rogers owns the Jays?)

Wilco
Wilco
February 17, 2012 7:23 am

Too bad. Really enjoy the DP show. Great alternative to Blair.

February 17, 2012 7:50 am

Mike – you can subscribe to individual show podcasts through iTunes.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
February 17, 2012 9:02 am

Just after I go out of my way on the TSN radio survey praising the Dan Patrick show it gets buried. I will catch it via the website now live. More hockey talk from TSN, so out of character for them. The ratings for the DP show I recall were one of the few strong points for TSN radio in the past rating books so I imagine there had to be a slight drop-off but this is more the case of getting on the Leafs playoff bandwagon if they make it knowing the ratings will more than compensate. I was hoping that some alternative radio choices to the FAN in that time slot would be there since Blair is forced to talk hockey and Leafs even though he would rather talk Jays 24/7 but that will come after hockey ends.

Sea Bass
Sea Bass
February 17, 2012 3:16 pm

More proof that my switch to XM was a fantastic move.

Steve in Waterloo
Steve in Waterloo
February 20, 2012 12:53 pm

I was just thinking the other day that TSN TV needs a noon hour hockey show. Sportsnet’s hockey central, while not great, beats 14 hour old game highlights.

TSN radio is changing, let’s go with the TV.

Eric in Cambridge
Eric in Cambridge
February 20, 2012 7:04 pm

Totally disappointed to hear the dropping of DP. It was my only refuge from blue and white kool-aid discussion throughout the entire day. Blair is possibly the most condescending voice on Toronto airwaves. So I’ll be tuning in to Either Mad Dog or NFL Radio on Sirius from 9-12 from now on (which is not a great alternative)… Rome on 550 at Noon, then Tim and Sid from 1-4 – Easily the most refreshing show on terrestrial radio in awhile!

Matt Paap
Matt Paap
February 23, 2012 1:02 pm

The Dan Patrick show was easily the best thing on Toronto sports radio. TSN was very lucky to have rights to it. Silly for TSN to take it off.

Pat
Pat
April 7, 2012 3:23 pm

The DP show is infinitely superior to any of this horrible CanCon. Extra coverage on one of the most underachieving clubs in professional sports? What for?