Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

With 10 days to go until the trade deadline, the Habs trade of Hal Gill has signalled the sell off has begun in Montreal.

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown:

400-500 – Phones
500-700 – Roundtable – Bob is joined by Stephen Brunt, Tim Micallef, and John Shannon

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

400 – George Cortez: Head Coach, Hamilton Tiger-Cats
415 – Brendan Halloran: Comedian
430 – Bob McKenzie: TSN Hockey Insider
445 – Jerome Willams (JYD): Raptors Alumni
500 – Fab 5
520 – Darren Dreger: TSN Hockey Insider
530 – Phife Dawg: A Tribe Called Quest
600 – Steve Simmons: Sun Media and TSN ‘The Reporters’
615 – Genevieve Morton: SI Swimsuit Model
630 – David Steckel: forward, Toronto Maple Leafs
645 – Best of the Week

On TSN (5pm) and TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Phife Dawg from A Tribe Called Quest (in-studio)
Gary Payton
Rob Ray

Tonight on Sportsline:

TBA

Alex
February 17, 2012 4:42 pm

Has Cybulski’s show always been so sportsfotainment?

February 17, 2012 4:51 pm

did anyone listen to the Beeston interview this week? anything of note discussed?

the lead story on the Jays website is about Gaston as a “racial crusader” … have to believe that grinds Bob’s gears.

happy weekend all.

Ami Angelwings
February 17, 2012 5:06 pm

I think mentioning Cito makes Bob upset in general. I kinda get it. Sometimes there are just ppl you’ve clashed with that whenever you hear them mentioned it’s just aggravating even if it isn’t about them doing anything.

Ami Angelwings
February 17, 2012 5:07 pm

“Alex
February 17, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Has Cybulski’s show always been so sportsfotainment?

Seems like the entire show is entire a TSN hockey guest, a comedian or musician or an ESPN analyst who is probably a paid spot.”

That’s what I wondered (and complained about yesterday) o: I’m glad other ppl notice it and it’s not just me. They have too many non sports things on that show, like comedians, musicians, sometimes I hear them talking about movies… it’s so weird… and uninteresting to me (b/c I’m not interested in most comedians and musicians). xD

alex
alex
February 17, 2012 5:31 pm

I dont mind “lite sports shows.” Two of my fav all time sports talk shows were kornheisers old show and lebatard show, which are a nice mix of sports, humor and general irreverance.

Cybulaki’s show, based on limited listening, seems very plastic and sterile. Like i said recently, reminds me of mike and mike. Except when arthur is there usually.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
February 17, 2012 5:45 pm

I just heard Mr. Mcgoo, in the middle of a roundtable discussion on PTS, just interrupt the conversation to announce that he just read on his blackberry that his daughter was accepted on a partial scholership to Queens in the Arts program.

Talk about unprofessional. Kudos to his daughter, but shouldn’t he be focusing on the discussion and not checking his blackberry, and do we really care about his daughter’s educational escapades. I get the proud Dad part, but save it for the end of the fricken show.

Another Steve
Another Steve
February 17, 2012 6:30 pm

I heard the same thing, RD, and nearly spit out my coffee while driving home. I wonder if Shannon will soon give us the breaking updates when he hears that his wife has just returned with the groceries.

There are many reasons to criticize his announcement, but to me the biggest one is its sheer narcissism. That is, can anybody imagine Brunt ever breaking into the round-table to talk about his family? I know that he (Brunt) is married and has kids, but thankfully he doesn’t make the conversation about his personal life.

alex
alex
February 17, 2012 7:18 pm

I did like the story about when brunt took his family to meet muhammed ali.

itchy butt
itchy butt
February 17, 2012 8:28 pm

Didn`t hear Magoo`s BB talk but that`s just silly.Sounds like it ruined a good show. I thought “Ted” did a good job.

Another Steve
Another Steve
February 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Good point Alex – however, I think we’d all agree that the Ali story was relevant to the theme, whereas Shannon’s really was a non sequitur.

Ami Angelwings
February 17, 2012 9:36 pm

I have no opinion on Shannon bringing up his family, but I want to point out that when Brunt did it, the story wasn’t about his family (or how awesome they are), they just happened to be there in a story about Ali.

mike
mike
February 17, 2012 10:10 pm

proposed new roundtable: Bob, Brunt, Tim, Sid

no more scrubs.

February 18, 2012 9:47 am

the important thing is that we can all agree that Shannon is unlistenable, and that he actually bordering on showing contempt for the FAN’s flagship show. I wonder if one can remain a Friend of Bob while sabotaging Bob’s money-maker?

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
February 18, 2012 10:38 am

Mike (In Boston) I don’t think that Bob even cares. He knows that his ratings are such even some slippage won’t matter and he can still call the shots. As long as the gap is there between then and TSN Radio in that time slot, unfortunately, we are stuck with the FOB, and yes, Shannon leads the way in that department.

For me personally, Shannon’s voice alone was enough for me to tune him out, and I always have from Day 1. I endure him only when Brunt is there, and if anything, that is a testament to Brunt’s greatness that I put up with Mr. Mcgoo to get my Brunt dose.

With Brunt finishing his stint, I will now wait for his return until I tune in again, as while Cox has a voice I can tolerate, his smug attitude and sheer obstinance turns me off in another way.

It seems so simple. Assemble the real talent to work with Bob. Yes, we lost Arthur, but can’t Friedman step in more often, who Bob respects and we know that Elliott knows his sports inside out, makes great points, and respects the audience.

Curt
Curt
February 18, 2012 5:21 pm

What can we say about Shannon that hasn’t been said – yes, unlistenable. And with Brunt gone and Cox back next week, I’ll also be taking a PTS sabbatical.

alex
alex
February 18, 2012 10:00 pm

Itunes posted a “revised” pocast of the 6 pm roundtable.

I wonder what got trimmed.

daver
daver
February 18, 2012 10:48 pm

ALEX

Nothing got trimmed, they accidentally posted Thursdays 6pm hour initially by accident.

Ami Angelwings
February 19, 2012 6:12 am

“Steve is also right about Shannon’s narcissism. It has gotten to the point where Shannon is so at east in the studio, he does not even realize that there is an audience listening. He acts like he is at Bob’s palatial estate and has a glass of cognac in his hand chewing the fat with Bob. ”

You know, that’s completely true. And in that vein, I definitely see how him bringing up his kids accomplishments (I listened to it again, Bob seems a bit annoyed) just adds to that. Also, he often acts like this is the John Shannon show and everybody is just a guest in it. Whether it’s how he whines at people who disagrees with him and just acts as if they’re disagreement is self-evidently wrong, or constantly brings up personal knowledge of a person as proof of why they can’t be wrong or problematic (like Bettman), it’s just all about John Shannon and why things are correct or incorrect because of John Shannon’s personal experiences or feelings (without fully articulating them, it’s just “I know Bettman, he’d never do that”, that’s not an argument, that’s a personal opinion).

February 19, 2012 11:37 am

Tim & Sid had Shannon on for a segment about hockey earlier last week………….he was actually quite a good guest……………if they could somehow limit his appearances and keep him on topic he can be an asset to 590…………….but when he is on a two hour roundtable talking about many different sports/subjects the chances of it working are low, in my opinion anyway

Curt
Curt
February 19, 2012 12:02 pm

Agree with all of that, Ami. Also, he completely dominates every roundtable he’s on and just never shuts up. When he on with Cox, there is absolutely no room for anyone else to speak. Annoying as hell.

Sam in Scarb
Sam in Scarb
February 19, 2012 2:34 pm

I believe the mathematician shannon actually believes that people tune in to watch or listen to HIM.
May I suggest that so many clicking him off at one time may some day start a hydro transformer fire.

Ami Angelwings
February 19, 2012 5:56 pm

@Curt That last roundtable with Shannon and Cox was HORRIBLE. They just spent every segment fighting with each other and we barely heard from Bob and.. Friedman I think was the other one?

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
February 21, 2012 7:06 pm

Believe me, I am taking the week off, but flipping just happened to see in the studio when they were coming back on air, and Shannon was leaning back on his chair with his legs up, and was startled when the on air light came on and jumped to attention. It was actually quite amusing, but does show how that off-air moment is exactly how he would prefer to conduct himself, and I am sure he does when him and Bob hook up at each others palatial estates.

Is there not a way to find out the ratings when Bob is with Brunt versus not with Brunt. PTS must drop at least 50% of their audience.