Toronto Sports Media Rumblings

By TSM

Here’s what I am reading this Monday night while my kids are sleeping:

“Sitting at Randy (Kitty) Carlyle’s cottage on beautiful Manitoulin Island some five summers ago, Mark Chipman made a prediction to his close friend, one that would prove to be prophetic.

“Kitty,” Chipman said to Carlyle, “you know that one day you are going to be the coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs.”

Carlyle’s response was short, albeit not sweet.

“No way!” Carlyle responded.”

Ok, so now we all have to call Randy Carlyle, Kitty????

The article in the Sun is actually a pretty good read.

Speaking of good reading, it’s nice to see a glimmer of hope out of camp Blue Jay:

““This kid has great hands and the perfect body to play shortstop with those long legs,” Vizquel, 44, said of Hechavarria, who is 5 foot 11, 180 pounds. “He has great range and all the tools to become a great shortstop.”

So, is this enough to get you to buy some tickets to this years Jays season? It’s so beyond early but already we are in the thick of doom and gloom.

Last word on Don Cherry. Damien Cox says it’s an idiotic stance. Steve Simmons says it’s an idiotic stance. Game over.

Note to Mark Spector, if you want to gain the interest and trust of those in Toronto, quoting Jason Blake on anything isn’t the way to do it:

“Well,” said ex-Leaf Jason Blake, who played parts of three seasons for Carlyle before the coach was fired in Anaheim, “players will see in Toronto, it’s not as easy as having (Ron) Wilson. Practices are a lot longer, a lot tougher, and a lot more demanding.”

What, was Vesa Toskala not available?

I long for the days when sports new broke and we could find the works of one Stephen Brunt.

I also long for the day when we could read good opinion pieces on tsn.ca

Both seem to have gone missing of late.

Special note to the fine folks at both Rogers and TSN, there is this thing called the internet, you may have heard about it. You happen to have some pretty good “talent” on your staff, try exposing an online audience to it, there are other ways besides radio and tv. Just saying.

I’ve been playing around on my xbox lately. Couple of thoughts. One, I can’t cut the cord on my cable until all the shows I want to watch are available to me when I want. No Good wife, no mentalist, no person of interest = no paid account for Hulu+ for me.

The realsports app on the xbox is cool. The only way I pay for things is if I can get every leaf game for a reasonable flat rate. Until then it’s a total waste of time and space on my device.

I’m curious how or where Raptors fans are. I know, I am not in Toronto so I don’t see a lot of folks face to face but man is quite online and on twitter on all things Raps of late.

Do you know what the following NBA teams have in common:
76ers
Bobcats
Wizards
Cavaliers
Suns
Grizzlies
Hawks
Kings
Bucks
Hornets
Rockets
Nets
Pacers
Pistons?

They are all drawing fewer fans than your Toronto Raptors. ESPN, Mike and Mike, better call up the moving vans in each of those other 14 cities.

Say what you will (or won’t) folks are coming out to Raptors games with next to no hope or talent.

Did I miss anything?

Oh yeah, Syracuse is in deep shit with the NCAA.

Is there anything surprising abou that?

Have a great night/Day

Derrick
Derrick
March 6, 2012 11:36 am

“Speaking of good reading, it’s nice to see a glimmer of hope out of camp Blue Jay.”

A “glimmer” of hope? Fox and ESPN are tripping over themselves trying to get on the Blue Jays bandwagon.

Synon
Synon
March 6, 2012 11:47 am

I’ve had my 40 game pack for the Jays since January. It’s not as if it is prohibitively expensive to get 500 level seats and I think there is enough upside to be able to watch this team get better without getting frustrated. As for the basketball team, that attendance is what happens when your audience is 34 million people versus 3.4 million. Who knows how many of the people at Raptors games on any given night are from outside the GTA? I’d say it is probably a higher portion than most teams have.

March 6, 2012 12:51 pm

Yeah. There’s been a fair bit of positive Jays buzz in the American media the last few days:

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
March 6, 2012 2:04 pm

I have lost interest in the Raptors as there is nothing to attract me until Bargnani returns. Since I am a strong proponent of taking the tanking approach Casey is really starting to get under my skin as he is showing me that he is a more than capable NBA coach as he extracts more wins that he should with his existing roster.

James Johnson is showing he has developed into a solid all-around player and Demar has picked up his game of late but in the scheme of things all that matters is that the culture has changed, we are playing hard including team defence and get lucky with the lottery balls and our pick when the time comes.

2012/13 will be when I pay more attention. I have better things to do than follow this team now.

William
William
March 6, 2012 2:27 pm

You should give Sportsnet.ca a better chance. I’ve started liking their blogs and opinion pieces from former newspaper guys like Grange, Brunt and Brophy.

Il Duce
Il Duce
March 6, 2012 2:58 pm

Steve Simmons? Game Over? Really? Is this the same Steve Simmons who was taking material from TSM and put it in his Sunday column trying to pass it off as his own? Can you say jumped the shark!!

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
March 6, 2012 10:07 pm

Yeah, TSM, I have lost interest, but I think of it as more of a sabbatical away from the team, but my interest will return once we have the lottery draft and I can see what position we are drafting from, as that will be the fun part for me, to envision who we will actually be drafting come draft day.

Next year with Jonas here along with what should be a pretty good draft pick in a year where we can really improve our talent base from it plus cap money to use there will be a lot more reason to follow the team on a daily basis.

Why put the effort into watching a team where many of the players on the roster are just biding time until real talent rolls in. Casey has shown me enough he was the right choice to coach us, so I don’t need anything else for him to prove to me.

Bargnani showed me that he can excel and be a borderline All-Star playing under Casey as well. Colangelo will be very creative in the off-season and our roster starting next year will be significantly changed.