Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

Mikhail Grabovski isn’t quite Steve Austin. Call him the 5.5 million dollar man. Over 5 years.

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown. Stephen Brunt co-hosts from 5pm:

400 – Erin Mielzynski, skier
420 – Michael Hiestand, USA Today
520 – Nick Kypreos, Sportsnet
540 – Peter Sisam, VP, IMG Canada
600 – Alan Ashby, Jays pbp & analyst
620 – Don Cherry
640 – Sean Gordon, Globe & Mail or Don Banks, SI.com

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

4:15 – James Duthie
4:30 – Aron Winter, TFC Head Coach
4:40 – Cam Neely, Bruins President
5:15 – Bob McKenzie
5:30 – Steve Yzerman, Team Canada Exec Director / Lightning GM
6:00 – Darren Dreger
6:15 – Marc Crawford
6:30 – Steve Simmons

On TSN (5:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Panel featuring: Steve Ludzik, Jack Edwards, Paul Reinhart and Jim Thomson
Ruben Brown on Gregg Williams

Tonight on Sportsline:

Although cleared for contact, should the Penguins shutout Sidney Crosby for the rest of the year, was 5 years & $27.5 million dollars too much for Mikhail Grabovski, should Canada Basketball be led by Jay Triano and will Tim Tebow be the next star of ‘The Bachelor?’ Join Hebsy & Bubba, tonight at 7 on CHCH.

Darren
Darren
March 6, 2012 5:15 pm

It is becoming embarrassing to watch/listen to McCown anymore. His obvious lack of any sort of knowledge concerning sports is ridiculous. Also another sexist remark with Brunt in talking about their 1st hour was almost in his words ‘an all chick segment’. Even if Jen Jones had of showed up unless Michael Hiestand had a sex change it wouldn’t have been all girls anyway.

ML in Kingston
ML in Kingston
March 6, 2012 5:40 pm

Completely agree with that statement. TSN Radio has become #1 between the hours of 4-7. In fact if it weren’t for Tim & Sid my entire catch up pod-casts would pretty much consist of TSN the entire day. I’m not sure if Bob is still pissed off about not having a contract and therefore is just doing the bare minimum or if it’s simply his best days have come and gone, I’m thinking the 2nd choice is the correct one. Arthur for sure made the right decision in signing with TSN and I’m guessing if Tim & Sid could have a do-over they would be at TSN doing the 4-7 hour simulcast on tsn2 or at least on the website.

Bora
Bora
March 6, 2012 6:22 pm

It should be interesting hearing Cherry on with McCown.

Stan
Stan
March 6, 2012 6:43 pm

TSN is far superior on the TV side and is on its way to becoming that way on the radio side. I would hope that eventually everyone who posts on how bad pts is will realize their is a better alternative in TSN radio and will give it a long listen.

ML in Kingston
ML in Kingston
March 6, 2012 7:06 pm

Why did Burke cancel?

Mike
Mike
March 6, 2012 8:42 pm

Good interview with Don Cherry on with PTS and McCown and Brunt…. McCown and Cherry brought up there “infamous feud” that they had for many years…. its been refreshing to hear Cherry on TSN Radio and Sportsnet 590 The Fan lately……

Anyone hear Gord Stellick on with Jim Richards today on NewsTalk 1010? 2 original former Fan 590 guys

Ami Angelwings
March 6, 2012 8:43 pm

Wow Cherry was on with Bob? o:

March 6, 2012 8:43 pm

“I’m guessing if Tim & Sid could have a do-over they would be at TSN doing the 4-7 hour simulcast on tsn2 or at least on the website.”

*eye roll*

ML in Kingston
ML in Kingston
March 6, 2012 8:57 pm

And why would that be an ‘eye-roll’

alex
alex
March 6, 2012 10:19 pm

Cherry was making the rounds recently to promote the cbc bio pic.

He was even on with blair, who is not a fam of grapes. But i assume they are doong all kinds of things lately to boost blairs show vs the new show on 1050.

Mike
Mike
March 6, 2012 11:05 pm

With that being said whose a better alternative Jeff Blair 9-12 on Sportsnet 590 The Fan or Scott MacArthur 9-12 on TSN Radio 1050 Toronto????? am I the only one that wishes Dan Patrick was still doing 9-12 on TSN Radio 1050 Toronto?

robg
robg
March 6, 2012 11:17 pm

Mike, you’re not the only one that thinks DP should be on 9-12. Thankfully, satellite radio comes to the rescue….

Ami Angelwings
March 6, 2012 11:23 pm

5.5 mil seems like a lot for Grabovski. o:

March 7, 2012 2:21 am

@ML- The idea that they’d rather be on the Internet for TSN over a high profile job on air for the Fan, just because you think the Fan sucks (and not really anything else) is pretty obviously ridiculous.

March 7, 2012 2:29 am

@TSM- it’s possible, but I think a few people have been ragging on McCown here just like this ever since you started this site a few years ago. I don’t really notice any new sentiments.

I actually think the comments here were worse a couple years ago when Brady/Watters were up against him.

Honestly, he deserves some criticism, but I think a lot of it has to do with he’s what most people are listening to. Plus his on air persona is basically ‘crusty A-hole’. Some people complain about the show no matter what goes on.

cam
cam
March 7, 2012 8:32 am

@ Daniel I think you nailed it, what amazes me is why people still listen when McCown grates on them so much. As for the comments they do seem to have taken a turn as I don’t remember the attacks on the sartorial deportment of McCown and guest hosts. But hey that is their opinion and far be it for me to cast aspersions. .

Up until DP was moved and Tim & Sid were added the only time I listened to the FAN was during PTS. However, I can honestly say that up until 1:00 if given the opportunity, I rarely listen to sports radio. This may change with the start of the MLB season but somehow I doubt it. The 9-12ers just don’t interest me and my interest in things hockey as slipped dramatically.

As for Burke not showing up on PTS, suspect it was because Bob was extremely critical of the Grabovski signing. As well, Sportsnet had some teasers on his hang-up in the CFRB interview. Maybe Pelley got a call to shut down the network….

March 7, 2012 9:24 am

good discussion.

can we stop talking about the ratings as if they matter? The PPM system is broken. I don’t think the listening habits of 10 people in my demographic are in any way representative.

if you read the archives here (basically an excuse to look at the Bikini OTD) then you’ll see that the regulars have been banging on the co-hosts from time immemorial. the criticism that McCown is on vacation most of the time he is on air is growing though. I suspect that is because there is now an alternative, and McCown’s laziness is best appreciated in contrast with other shows. No question that McCown can still be great, but PTS is now but one show among many, in my opinion.

Another Steve
Another Steve
March 7, 2012 10:32 am

TSM, I counted a total of 3 people on this thread who have very strong opinions in favour of 1050. Dude, that’s a pretty small sample size. Furthermore, it’s not much of an argument when someone shouts loudly that 1050 is great and that 590 sucks.

Since I keep coming back here, it’s obvious that I enjoy this site, but there are some people’s comments (MiBoston. Daniel, Ami, and Julian come to mind immediately) that I read more than others, because they seem to rise above the fray, in my opinion.

Before I looked here this morning, I took a glance at the Yahoo tennis blog that I enjoy, and noticed that the comments all said the same thing: that Chris Chase (the writer) sucks. To a certain extent it made me laugh to read the ramblings of the ignorant and illiterate mob, but it’s ultimately depressing when the discourse it reduced to “this sucks,” “this is so much better,” or ad hominem attacks against other letter writers.

I used to say that I turned to sports because it provided mindless entertainment in a messed-up world. A moment where you can have a catharsis – for two-three hours there is a right and wrong, a winner and loser. And I used to enjoy sports media because I used to laugh at the idiocy of it all – callers who are often brain-dead and who get excited about things that are of no consequence at all in the real world. However, I have discovered that I do have a few expectations now about what I hear on the radio, and vocal discussions about which station sucks and which one is the best are no longer as amusing as they once were.

If you like a station, that’s fine. But that doesn’t make it the best. There is no objective criterion for judging what makes entertainment good. Rather it enough to say that you like it, but it would be also helpful to state why.

Sorry for the rant.

Don Mandrie
Don Mandrie
March 7, 2012 12:39 pm

PTS needs to ditch Cox, Shannon & Deacon. Then bring in somebody with a fresh perspective not based on 30 years of Toronto navel gazing.

Gerry
Gerry
March 7, 2012 2:32 pm

Listening preference, I am amazed at how much more TSN Radio with Cybulski I am listening to these days. Generally I find it pretty good, and only tune it to 590 when Gareth Wheeler has been given more than 10 seconds to talk.

I find Mackowitz a surprisingly good co-host on the show.

I still agree that Bobcat and Brunt can have better days, but with so much Shannon and Cox, I have changed my dial such that I start with TSN and then turn to the Fan if TSN’s show is annoying. Hasn’t been that way before, but it is now.

Il Duce
Il Duce
March 7, 2012 4:00 pm

Commenting that McCown has a lack of sports knowledge is absolutely ridiculous. I’m no fan of Bobcat and have said so on many occasions but his experience and interview skills are still unmatched by anyone on the airwaves. I have to agree with TSM that McCown can still be the best when he wants to be but I just don’t think he really wants to be anymore. And how far have we’ve gone as a society if saying ‘all chick segment’ is viewed as sexist. Really?

March 7, 2012 5:29 pm

@AnotherSteve. Yeah. There are people who post ‘Ugh! Did you hear how terrible McCown was today? I’m going to switch to a different show’ pretty consistently and regardless of how good PTS actually was that day. (I’m not including actual, thought out criticism of the show in that. Obviously some of it is totally valid).

I really don’t think this blog can be used as a barometer of whether people are switching allegiances. It could be the same dude posting under three different names for all we know. Plus the people who seem to hate the show, also seem to comment on it the most, and so are still listening I guess. The ratings system is majorly imperfect, as MIB said, but they’re kind of all we have. If you look at them over long stretches they must have some value I guess. The numbers manage to stay roughly consistent.

March 7, 2012 5:37 pm

“the criticism that McCown is on vacation most of the time he is on air is growing though”

You might be right, MIB, but honestly I can remember people writing that from when I first starting reading this blog like 2 or 3 years ago. There was a TON of talk back then on here about how much people preferred Brady/Watters. A lot of ‘it’s only a matter of time before Brady/Watters beats McCown in the ratings’. Not to say nobody will ever beat him, or that McCown hasn’t slowed down – but I just mean I don’t think it’s a new sentiment on here by any means. I think there’s an element of people who would just love to see him taken down a notch. Probably because of his ‘I’m the best and I’m a jerk’ on air persona.

“Both TSN and the FAN are delivering a lot of good content to the audience. This is a huge improvement over where things stood a year ago.”

Agreed! Honestly, TSN radio hasn’t snagged me as a listener yet. But I’m definitely glad it’s here – I think it’s forced The Fan to pick up it’s game big time. I far, far prefer Brady, Blair and Tim/Sid to what was there before. And as TSN R gets some experience under it’s belt, I’m sure it’ll step up it’s programming and really counter The Fan well in some parts of the day.

ML in Kingston
ML in Kingston
March 7, 2012 6:43 pm

Out of curiosity do you work Daniel or just spend your days informing everyone how smart you are and that your opinion is far superior to anyone else’s? Like how many sites are you commenting on besides here? Myself, I could see you as a regular poster on the Globe & Mail’s Usual Suspects, you seem like the type. You harp, bitch, criticize others for not stating opinions on certain subjects but when they do you completely disregard them as ‘ridiculous’. Oh and by the way, I am not a ‘Fan590 Hater’ never assume dude, ya know the next line!

March 7, 2012 8:06 pm

“Out of curiosity do you work Daniel ” I do!

I dunno man. I did think that suggestion was ridiculous. But wasn’t trying to give you a hard time. Apologies for the snark, I guess!

ML in Kingston
ML in Kingston
March 7, 2012 8:15 pm

No worries, an I’m from the more pleasing Gender, lol.

March 8, 2012 9:06 am

Daniel: I can remember people writing that from when I first starting reading this blog like 2 or 3 years ago. There was a TON of talk back then on here about how much people preferred Brady/Watters. A lot of ‘it’s only a matter of time before Brady/Watters beats McCown in the ratings’.

That’s fair. I never listened to Brady/Watters so I probably didn’t pay much attention to those comments from a few years ago. I guess one thing I’ve noticed is that people here are complaining more and more about Bob’s performance with guests as opposed to his performance with co-hosts.

Rovell used to be a decent guest, but now his segments usually prompt negative reactions here. The same seems to be true with Hiestand and Becker, and to a lesser extent Zeisberger and Elliott. That’s the turn i’ve been noticing: that Bob is less and less tuned in as an interviewer, both in terms of his own research and in terms of his level of interest in the story.