More Changes At The Score

By TSM

Sorry for the delay. I’m told by multiple people that numerous good people have been let go at The Score.

Rumour has it that Greg Sansone is back in control and he’s now made his first big move. I don’t have much more to tell you yet but Glenn Schiiler is apparently one of the people now on the outside looking in. In all it sounds like 8-10 people let go.

Johannes Gutenberg
Johannes Gutenberg
March 13, 2012 7:34 pm

His name is Glenn Schiiler.

Ami Angelwings
March 13, 2012 7:46 pm

I should probably read new posts before I comment on old ones. xD

Is this basically the end of The Score?

Mike
Mike
March 13, 2012 8:07 pm

That station used to be the best back in the late 90s early 2000s…. ever since they lost vets like Steve Kouleas, Tim & Sid, Cabbie, Martine Gaillard, even Mark Hebscher! they went downhill…

The so called “sportscasters” they employ now such as Sophia, Arda Ocal, Paul Brothers, and Laura Diakun are absolute crap… I wonder if those names were let go today?

Anyone else think eventually either Rogers or Bell Media will buy this channel and re brand it?

Brawley
Brawley
March 13, 2012 8:32 pm

Not too sure that they can buy it. Wouldn’t be against CRTC rules to own to many similar stations in the same basic area [The G.T.A.]. Rogers & Bell own Sportsnet & TSN so wouldn’t they have to sell something in order to buy ‘The Score’?

March 13, 2012 8:47 pm

I know someone who works there. Apparently they’re doing well from a financial perspective (IIRC), but that is totally attributable to their online stuff and ‘Score App’. I guess they’re moving their focus more toward that kind of thing, and just leave the on air network to highlights.

March 13, 2012 8:56 pm

my extremely limited impression of Sansone from his appearance on Tim&Sid is favourable. He seems tuned. It’s plausible to think that the Score will always have a space on the fringe the marketplace. They can do things the other networks cannot. Further, even with all their channels, TSN and Rogers can’t buy all the content.

Best of luck to the Score going forward, and best wishes to those looking for new jobs.

stuartP
stuartP
March 13, 2012 11:19 pm

What is going on with The Score? Honestly I would love someone with knowledge of this industry to tell me. I work in finance and know their annual numbers report excellent returns. It would make a great case study. By all accounts they hire a lot of mobile staff members and each time they have firings (doesn’t this happen every year?) its the TV guys. They even let Sid and Tim walk who as my kids say are ‘awesome’ on the Fan. I hope it isn’t the Footy guys. Without them they are no one. Those guys are the only guys who are better than their competitiors. My son loves them. Everyone else has jumped ship. Who does hockey for the score? Hardly ever turn it on anymore.

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
March 14, 2012 2:07 am

As long as they have WWE they will always be around

March 14, 2012 3:09 am
Tridus
Tridus
March 14, 2012 6:40 am

The Score is in very favorable positions on cable & satellite networks, and they get paid for subscribers even if nobody watches the channel. So they can make money off TV even if nobody is watching them, and that means they don’t have to invest money in talent or quality.

Mike
Mike
March 14, 2012 8:28 am

The Score is still on the air?

The Bear
The Bear
March 14, 2012 10:29 am

Again, this is a Sansone channel. All he cares about is more air time for himself. What a joke!

Josh
March 14, 2012 1:48 pm

@mike (in boston)

Yeah I’ve traded emails with Sansone a few times about theScore programming and such. He seems like a good guy.

WWE and the mobile apps keep them alive. WWE cracks 300, 000 just about every week. Some weeks it beats Monday Night Football. I’ve heard the mobile app is big in the States.

I don’t think they’d fire the Footy guys. Sharman is a producer and has been with theScore since 1997, I think. If (or more likely when) they leave it will probably be because TSN or Sportsnet want them.

Darrell
Darrell
March 14, 2012 3:52 pm

Renee Paquette is the only draw there at the Score now.

William
William
March 16, 2012 11:15 am

It’s pretty simple. All of us who subscribe to the “sports” package on cable (to get Sportsnet and TSN) are also forced to pay for The Score each month. The Score, meanwhile, has cut all their costs down by getting rid of most of their live programming. Thus the big profit.