Your Toronto Sports Media Reading List

By TSM

Here’s what I think you should be reading if you haven’t already.

Honestly the best piece that’s been written in a Toronto paper for a LONG time comes from Bob Elliott. As a sports fan I am always curious as to what goes on behind the scenes, on the road who hangs with who etc. It’s clear that Bob and Tom Cheek had a special relationship. Seriously, all you manly guys out there, I’d suggest a tissue nearby before reading. I am not going to put a quote, it’s too good. It is Bob Elliott at his best.

So this Don Cherry vs. Brian Burke is a lot like Cherry himself, never ending. Having said that, major kudos to the Toronto Star’s Raju Mudhar for this gem:

“Cherry opened the door over a week ago, when he accused Burke of going to CBC bosses to get him fired for criticism of the Leafs on Coach’s Corner. Burke has denied this and said he does not want to engage in any further feud with Cherry.

“I can’t speak (for Cherry), but I can say Brian Burke specifically told me: ‘I don’t want the guy fired.’ ” Jeffrey Orridge, head of CBC Sports, said in an interview on Sunday.”

So while the other outlets, specifically the Sun who I think mandated that every writer on payroll chime in on the story were killing the horse for the 50th time, Mudhar, got us, ‘the rest of the story’. So if Burke didn’t try to get Cherry fired, and if the CBC is to believe and actually said he didn’t want Cherry fired, then what’s all the fuss about?

Nothing wrong with a little brand cheerleading is there?

You know I love my Sunday Simmons fix. Here’s what I liked yesterday:

“Anyone heard anything from Wilson since he was fired as Leaf coach? Attempts to call, e-mail, text Wilson for an interview have gone unreturned from many Toronto media members. There’s now a pool on time and date of the first interview ”

So, who you going to bet on?

I was going to say Landsberg, but I think not.

Who would Wilson be willing to talk to?

I ran a quick question on twitter today, asking people if they would really watch less hockey if fighting were finally banned. I am pretty sure I got less than 1 response saying they would watch less. It’s just so time to make the move. 99.9% of fights are so pathetic and of the “staged” variety, I can’t imagine anyone really missing those. On that same note I really liked Michael Traikos’s piece on concussions in hockey.

Did you all see the bit in today’s Globe and Mail suggesting the poor state of former professional athletes:

“According to the NBA Players Association and Sports Illustrated, about 60 per cent of NBA players are bankrupt five years after retiring, while 78 per cent of NFL players are in financial trouble two years after retiring.”

So, I am not sure what your definition of “in financial trouble” is, but wholly schmidt are those scary numbers! I realize that everyone is responsible for themselves, but aren’t agents supposed to be there to help just a little? Good thing those two leagues have unions!

I see TJ Ford is calling it quits. Too bad, I hope he’s in the 4/10 not the 6/10 in 5 years!

Happy Tuesday

photo from here

alex
alex
March 13, 2012 2:44 am

Id bet on brunt getting the interview with wilson.

Brad
Brad
March 13, 2012 7:40 am

Fantastic story by Bob Elliott. Especially the last line:)

Gerry
Gerry
March 13, 2012 10:36 am

Thanks for the link to the Elliot story, I rarely go through their website anymore. What a touching letter, and thanks for the tissue advice.

Canadian baseball fans have had it great when it comes to broadcasters. I grew up an Expos fan and loved listening to Dave Van Horne and Duke Snider, with Ken Singleton mixed in as well. The Jays have been just as blessed with Tom and Jerry, and I really enjoyed when Kubek did the games on TV. I am now a Jays fan, and that was a great read.

Another Steve
Another Steve
March 13, 2012 1:05 pm

I know this has nothing to do with the topic above, but I would be curious to discover what people would list as the radio ads that they find the most irritating. Here are my top 2 of the moment:

1. The LCBO “mambo Italiano” thing. No chance that I will ever buy an Italian wine, only because of that stupid ad. I long to hear a version of the song that ends with something bad happening to the singer.
2. The “people for good” ones. “I just opened a door – I am therefore a good human being.” At first I thought these were a joke, but then I realized it was a real group. All the same, they are just screaming to be parodied.

Sean
Sean
March 13, 2012 1:51 pm

That tile commercial on during cybulski. The one where guy does not own cell phone. Not sure what company as i change the channel when starts…sometimes do not come back.
I agree with the people one too. I thought it was a joke too.

Sean
Sean
March 13, 2012 2:06 pm

Wow. Sorry for terrible grammar above. As sad as it sounds I am used to writing on cell phone with a character limit…thank you twitter! Do not get me wrong, it is nothing spectacular in general. But above was pretty bad!

Ticky
Ticky
March 13, 2012 5:49 pm

“Canadian baseball fans have had it great when it comes to broadcasters.”

Excluding the current TV talking heads.

Ami Angelwings
March 13, 2012 6:19 pm

That Mambo Italiano commercial bugs me too >_>

I’m not sure if any currently bug me that much… there have been ads in the past that I really hated listening to though.

There are some ads I DO like though! My favourite ones right now are the Subway “sub of the day” ads with all the people who use subway sub days instead of regular days to tell time. xD I just love how confused they sound when people use regular days, and the one with the mom talking to her teen son is hilarious to me. “Satur-whuh?”

During the holidays there was a VISA commercial where a guy was listing all the people he had to buy for and mentioned “boyfriend” and “ex-boyfriend” at the end. I’m not sure if other people caught it, but I thought that was pretty cool too. 🙂

March 13, 2012 7:12 pm

yyzsportsmedia Change in the air in toronto sports media world details to follow – about 1 hour ago · reply · retweet ·

any wagers? The return of Krystal from his special projects exodus? Berger being hired by someone? PTS being replaced by the Roj & Deacon show? Dowbiggin replaced by a tepid bowl of soup?

Ami Angelwings
March 13, 2012 7:44 pm

Bob creating Bob TV!

The Roj & Deacon show would be the most painful thing ever. I was thinking of James Deacon actually before I thought of Farraway (though he’s gone now right?) Either would be painful. xD

Maybe the news is Brunt is off PTS for good now? The tweet sounds bigger than that though. I guess Bob signing his contract wouldn’t be “change”.

cam
cam
March 13, 2012 8:04 pm

@Ami – what do you have against soup?

cam
cam
March 13, 2012 8:15 pm

oops that would MIB with the soup comment – seems like maybe I should have adult supervision when near a keyboard …

Gerry
Gerry
March 13, 2012 9:55 pm

@ticky, agree, that is why my statement was talking of the past tense. However, I think Ashby and Howarth are pretty good.

Annoying Commercials? Omni JewelCrafter, cannot listen to that anymore makes me change dial immediately.