More on Changes In Toronto Sports Media

By TSM

So I am told that the changes at The Score were major. I am told that the MMA show is gone and the other show Drafted may be as well. I will get more as I learn more.

On the other side of change Zack Cooper is leaving the Fan after 10.5 years. It’s nice when someone leaves on their own isn’t it. Cooper is leaving to pursue a career in gaming. he announced it on Twitter:

“Now is as good a time as any to put it out there: I am leaving The FAN. This wk will be my last at the station(s) and on @GotGame590 as host. It’s been a fantastic 10.5 years in radio, covering the Raptors, Blue Jays, and of course gaming. My next dream job starts Monday.”

A hearty congrats to Zach. Nothing better than landing the “next” dream job!

Speaking of Twitter.

Thought you would enjoy the following exchange tonight on Twitter between Damien Cox and Scott Norton:

That was just the beginning….

and there’s more

Norton, couldn’t help himself and kept going

So here’s my take. Damien stated what many were saying on twitter, another useless fight at a hockey game. Norton jumped in to defend his client and the rest is history.

Good stuff for those of us following at home. Personally, I think it was a lot like the fight itself. Norton may have landed a jab or two but Damien walked away the winner. That’s just me.

twitter fight photo can be found here

Mike
Mike
March 14, 2012 8:24 am

Norton may be a dink… But Cox is the biggest moron out there. He didn’t win shit… He just showed again how he dismisses others opinions and acts tough on Twitter.

If it wasn’t for Steve Simmons, Cox would be the moron champion.

The Bear
The Bear
March 14, 2012 10:27 am

This is another example of why a station run by Greg Sansone is a terrible idea. The Score used to be good. WTF Happend??

Jeff
Jeff
March 14, 2012 11:51 am

Will anyone miss Drafted? It was the Score’s attempt at jumping in on the reality show trend that is prevalent on television. No I did not see any episodes nor did I have any interest in the show. So the question I have for anyone to actually saw the show was it any good? And are any of the contestants who won still at the Score?

Brad
Brad
March 14, 2012 12:34 pm

A long time ago, The Score was good. Great even.
Then one by one, the on air talent started to leave. As soon as Elloitte Friedman left, The Score started to go downhill. IMO he was the best reporter The Score had.
With Tim and Sid moving to The Fan590, all that remains from the core group is Greg Sansone.
I honestly think that Wrestling is keeping The Score going. How awful is that to say? WRESTLING???
To the poster above..there are a couple still employed that I know of, from the show DRAFTED.
The Score today, is NOWHERE what The Score used to be.

Darrell
Darrell
March 14, 2012 3:29 pm

Wrestling sucks but must admit that I believe that the only thing people tune into the Score for, is to watch Renee Paquette right?

March 14, 2012 3:36 pm

Cox gets the win for the “less successful” blast although it’s a bit of a low blow. Not that he could be expected to the high road … I guess consistency counts for something.

Unrelated question: do people in Canada actually care about March Madness. How does one develop a rooting interest for US college sports when it doesn’t matter for the other 50 weeks. I live in the US and I can’t muster any interest.

Matt
Matt
March 14, 2012 4:30 pm

@ Brad

Another thing that will keep The Score going is the fact that they stole the rights to the FSN package of Big 12, Pac 12 & Conference USA college football & basketball games from Sportsnet. Also, The Score may very well show the Big Ten Football Championship Game from Fox which is part of the deal if I am not mistaken. Now, if The Score makes the error of pre empting games for old wrestling shows or any other junk, then maybe The Score should get out of the business entirely.

Ami Angelwings
March 14, 2012 7:09 pm

Oh Damien v_v

Damien needs to learn to NOT respond to critical tweets. Everybody has an opinion. Just let it go.

I thought Damien’s first tweet was fine, and Norton’s response was okay (though I think his 2nd response should have come first… because it was better at explaining it than implying Damien doesn’t care about his friends), but then.. as usual they can’t let it go -_-

Damien has a history of this and I don’t know the other guy, so that’s why I’m only talking about Damien, but the other guy could have just let it slide too. You both said your piece, everything else is just school yard.

Matt
Matt
March 16, 2012 9:12 pm

@ TorontoSportsMedia

After seeing your updated article from yesterday regarding The Score, the answer is no.