Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown. Stephen Brunt co-hosts from 5pm:

400 – Michael Hiestand, USA Today

Craig Button

On TSN (5:30pm & 11:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Cory Schneider, Vancouver Canucks goaltender
Troy Brouwer, Washington Capitals winger
Steve Simmons, Toronto Sun Columnist

Tonight on Sportsline:

The Maple Leafs say they are sorry to their fans, but are they empty words? The Raptors will miss the playoffs but does anyone care? Will Sergio Santos fall in a long line of bad Blue Jay relievers and did Ozzie Guillen deserve a 5 game suspension for voicing his personal opinions about Fidel Castro? Join Hebsy & Bubba tonight at 7, on CHCH.

Steve in Waterloo
Steve in Waterloo
April 10, 2012 5:33 pm

Boy, I wouldn’t want my boss to send an apology letter to the papers for the job I have done over the past couple of years…

Alex
Alex
April 10, 2012 5:44 pm

Bob had quite the rant about us/cuba relations during the hiestand segment.

April 10, 2012 5:51 pm

I don’t want to come across as insensitive here, but I can’t believe the fuss cause by Guillen’s Castro comment.

I mean, I understand that people were offended, but … calling for his job? Wow.

itchy butt
itchy butt
April 10, 2012 6:01 pm

As predicted, “Burkie’s” beer n brawl style comments get chuckles from the Leaftards and all is forgiven.

This is how out of touch this man is. He claims the Pens “won a lottery”, yet they played almost the whole year without said pick and still kicked everyone’s ass!

What a tool.

Bora
Bora
April 10, 2012 6:41 pm

@Daniel ever been to Miami? I think Guillen’s comments would have been criticized in any US city but being in Miami has made it 1000 times worse.

Phones calls on PTS? How low will they go?

Dok
Dok
April 10, 2012 6:48 pm

Not only was it phone calls, It’s phone calls in the National Hour, I can’t remember when they have done that before

Alex
Alex
April 10, 2012 6:51 pm

Not completely know the demographics of toronto, id think the closest analogy would be something incindiary involving greeks, turks and armenians, i bet thered be a firestorm in montreal if the habs coach said something “wrong” about the seperatiste (sp) movemebt.

I saidthe only the only thing worse to say in south florida would be something incolving the holocaust.

sam in oshawa
sam in oshawa
April 10, 2012 8:50 pm

The marlins will find an exit strategy for Guillen, dumb comment added to the list of Guillen gaffs. Cuban’s living in FLA. powerful community. Burke looked beaten. Cox ‘s [try saying that ten times] blog to-day was about saying sorry, don’t. Kinda agree with his take on the whole sorry theme.

April 10, 2012 11:05 pm

@Bora – i have actually spent a fair bit of time in South Florida! I know there are many Cubans expats there who despise Castro.

I get that he upset a lot of people … I guess I’m just surprised we are seeing this kind of uproar from an off the cuff comment from a guy who is notorious for saying offensive, random things. I get that it’s necessary for him to make an apology, just the suspension and people calling for his job surprises me.

alex
alex
April 10, 2012 11:49 pm

never underestimate the power of people when its their ox that’s being gored.

Another Steve
Another Steve
April 11, 2012 12:25 am

What I think is really sad is that Bud Selig just weighed in on this matter. I guess this means that Selig will now be true to his words and not allow Cuba into the next World Baseball Classic, since he is now so strongly standing up against the political system there.

I agree that the Marlins can most likely do what they like in terms of a suspension, but Selig has absolutely no business speaking to this issue, unless he is prepared to deal with international (re: Canadian) foreign policy. But perhaps he is so stupid that he doesn’t realize that he heads an international organization, one that includes as a member a team based in a country that actually has relations with Cuba.

The pope just visited Cuba, but Selig is terrified by a raving mob in Florida – what a coward.

Rick M.
Rick M.
April 11, 2012 3:43 pm

I listened to PTS yesterday.

Did Stephen Brunt really say that Fidel Castro has ‘done some good things’, after pointing out some awfully bad things? Any chance Brunt can make a guest appearance on Miami radio and explain the ‘good things’, to Cuban Americans?

Also found it odd that Brunt was so distressed that there were some cutbacks at the CBC and that McCown was critical of the state broadcaster. Hmmm…

Thanks.

Roger
Roger
April 11, 2012 3:59 pm

Brunt is a card carrying NDPer. Considering his age, that’s pretty sad.

You know what they say – if you’re a conservative in your 20s, you have no heart: and if you’re a liberal in your 40s, you have no brain.

sam in oshawa
sam in oshawa
April 11, 2012 4:01 pm

Rick M- You did hear Brunt correctly, i think he also said that the Cubans living in S. FLA. were missing pre Castro Cuba when it was even more corrupt, thanks to the mob involvement. He sure showed his leftist colours Tuesday. The “good things” Castro did, filled his Swiss bank accounts, oh yeah terrorized the people like a good dictator does..Shake your head Mr. Brunt.

Rick M.
Rick M.
April 11, 2012 4:15 pm

I like Brunt as a sports journalist but I’m glad I don’t rely on him as a political commentator.

Thanks.