Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown. Stephen Brunt co-hosts from 5pm:

400 – Ian Leggat, Sportsnet
420 – Darren Rovell, CNBC
520 – Gregg Zaun, Sportsnet
540 – John Furlong, new Executive Chairman, Vancouver Whitecaps
600 – Glenn Healy, HNIC
620 – Don Banks, SI.com
640 – Dr. Martin Mrazic, Safebrain Systems Inc.

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

Dan Shulman
Brent Butt, Actor/Comedian, Corner Gas (Canucks fan)
Mason Raymond, Vancouver Canucks
Kerry Fraser, IN STUDIO
Bob McKenzie
James Duthie
Brian Cooper

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Mike Smith, Phoenix Coyotes Goaltender
Mike Modano, NHL Legend
Kerry Fraser, NHL on TSN Analyst
Gary Payton, NBA Legend

Tonight on Sportsline:

Are the Vancouver Canucks the most hated team in Canada? Does the NHL need to improve it’s replay rules for goals? Is Rajon Rondo the best point guard in the NBA and do the Canadian public care about the Women’s World Hockey Championships? Join Hebsy & Bubba tonight at 7, on CHCH.

Darren
Darren
April 12, 2012 5:46 pm

Does McCowan even watch sports?

Lee (Oakville)
Lee (Oakville)
April 12, 2012 6:37 pm

I have a great deal of respect for McCown due to his longevity and continual ratings success, but I’ve felt for a long time that he’s been pulling a fast one on his audience. He has limited knowledge of modern sports (his “knowledge” of baseball and hockey seems to have peaked with the early-90s Jays and the Gilmour Leafs) and his knowledge of the business of sports is laughable. I doubt he’d even be able to tell the difference between a balance sheet and an income statement. This probably explains the poor quality of his co-hosts. Apart from Brunt most of the time, Cox and Shannon are sycophantic toadies with a similar lack of sports knowledge.

alex
alex
April 12, 2012 7:20 pm

The same issues exist (ed) with kornheiser. He didnt watch many games, but at least did lots of show prep. (3-4 pages of notes on yellow legal pad every day)

Ami Angelwings
April 12, 2012 9:29 pm

Um, did Bob forget Richard Rodier’s name? I think that’s what happened… that for some reason he recalled his name being “Rodack” and it was embarrassing and he tried to cover it up as if it were a nickname or something :\ I hope it’s just a blip, but whenever Bob has a memory issue it worries me because from my listening, I think Bob’s memory been getting worse in the 4 years I’ve been listening to him. 🙁

N. Lee
N. Lee
April 12, 2012 10:02 pm

In honor of our leader’s weekend in Vegas, here is an article I recently came across.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
April 13, 2012 4:54 am

Amy, with regards to Bob’s memory, I’m afraid it is not just a blip, but unfortunately something that pops up with regularity, although it is tough to quantify how often.

What usually happens is that Bob relies on his producer to whisper the name he either forgot or butchers. If the producer(s) don’t know, mainly because they are often too young to remember some of the names, as often they are referenced from an era before they were born, Bob goes to Plan B, which is even more embarassing, and that is getting his co-host(s) to save him by providing the name.

By far the worst part is when Bob starts talking about someone from the past, and even by providing lots of clues, neither the producer(s) or the co-hosts can come up with the name, which usually results in Bob finding a segway to change the topic or steer it in a different direction.

I fear though that this has been happening with far more frequency than the past. I moved here in 1989, and the McCown I used to listen to back then versus now are two different people in terms of their ability to process names and information.

Has Bob showed signs of early onset dementia, which occurs before the age of 65, I have no idea, but it may not be a bad idea for him to get tested. I likely chalk it up to just getting older, and obviously just by listening to Bob and his show, am getting a small window view into his mind. How is he the other 21 hours of the day and the weekends? I would think his wife would be able to comment more on this, but that is none of our business.

I would prefer though that if Bob does not have the name in his mind, not to bring it up on air alluding to the person that he is trying to bring up. It is almost like a game show, where Bob throws tidbits of information out, providing clues, and doing his best to get the producer(s)/co-host(s) to coem up with the name for him, and that does not make for great radio, as sometimes they draw a blank on Bob’s clues, and that is just embarassing.

Ami Angelwings
April 13, 2012 5:21 am

I don’t know anything about early onset dementia or anything :\ I do know the “common knowledge” that people’s memories get worse as they age, and I’m concerned about his memory lapses. I find myself often wishing I was his co-host so I could fill in what I know he’s trying to say, or the person he’s recalling… :\ I also know that the last 2 ppl on PTS who had a noticeable decline in memory while I’ve been listening were Jim Kelley & Burt Sugar… :\

That’s why I’m worried.

Roger
Roger
April 13, 2012 8:35 am

I’ve listened to Bob since I was a kid in the early 80s. I agree with the comments his memory is slipping. I hope it’s just old age and not something serious. It’s very noticeable to anyone listening, even occasionally.

Rick M.
Rick M.
April 13, 2012 10:39 am

I tend to agree with Lee. I listened to PTS quite a bit this week and thought it was okay but it also re-inforced why I listen far less than ever. McCown has become so painfully slow, long-winded, seemingly disinterested, and lacking in current sports knowledge. I certainly hope it’s not early dementia or anything health related but rather just his age and attitude. I think the rest of you have commented respectfully on the issue. Either way I’m more than ready for a decent alternative and wonder just how much better the competition would be if TSNR would replace Cybulski.

Thanks.

Dustin
Dustin
April 13, 2012 1:29 pm

I still think the game would completely change if TSNR would drop the cash, and steal McCown. Not necessarily for the ‘talent’ per say, but to also see what would happen with the competition.

I was under the impression that Bob had been resigned, but it sure doesn’t sound like it yet. I wonder when his ‘exclusive’ time ends, and allows him to talk to other companies.

Ami Angelwings
April 15, 2012 8:36 pm

How much money would you need to drop that Rogers wouldn’t match to get him though? I get the feeling that Bob is pretty comfortable where he is, he has his friends around him, he has a lot of clout, he personally knows all his bosses, and he’s nearing retirement… and he seems like a real creature of habit. Would he really want to wreck all that for a small raise? It’d have to be a pretty big raise, over the highest Rogers is willing to go, how much would that be?

Bob’s 60 in human years (we know that his vampire age is much longer, but I’m playing along) and I imagine he will be doing this for 5 more years? Does he really want to jump to TSN, which still may fail and maybe not have the same treatment, comfort level or stability that he has at the FAN? I imagine just offering slightly more won’t do it… so is it worth it to drop the money and concessions necessary to get him for just 5 years? Or is it better to try to build Cybulski & Arthur up in those 5 years so if and when Bob takes me as his vampire bride & we move back to the old country, your opponent (FAN590) has a gaping hole to fill and now you guys are the ones with the established pair?