Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown:

400 – Neil Smith
420 – Jack Armstrong, Raptors analyst
500 – The Roundtable – joining Bob are Stephen Brunt, John Shannon, and David Shoalts

On TSN Radio 1050, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

Craig Button
Bill Barnwell, Grantland
Bruce Arthur
Brendan Halloran, Comedian
Darren Dreger & Aaron Ward In Studio
Brandon Scott, Yukon Blonde, Guitarist and vocals
(cousin of Mike Richards of the Kings)

Tonight on Sportsline:

Does John Tortorella deserve genius status for his strategically called time out against the Senators? After selling out their 1st playoff game, can the NHL work in Phoenix? Will 63-year old Ric Flair return to the WWE and do Blue Jay baseball fans need to be better behaved at the Rogers Centre? Join Hebsy & Bubbs, tonight at 7 on CHCH.

alex
alex
April 13, 2012 5:25 pm

What a first rpundtable segment.

It was almost made for commenters here

Darren
Darren
April 13, 2012 5:26 pm

OMFG, that was the worst 14 minutes of programming I have ever had the misfortune of listening/watching to in my sports radio listening life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Truck drivers, bicyclists, motorists and rotary telephones!! Are you F’N kidding me?

Another Steve
Another Steve
April 13, 2012 5:42 pm

I thought it was rather amusing.

alex
alex
April 13, 2012 5:45 pm

Such a great “old man radio” segment.

When shannon is trying to get the show back on.topic, you know its a doozy.

JohnPaulJeanPaul
JohnPaulJeanPaul
April 13, 2012 5:55 pm

Why doesn’t anyone talk about TSN radio at all? Seriously? If you guys hate McCown so much, why listen? They love you for doing so, I just don’t understand all the hate but the continual listening.

Darren
Darren
April 13, 2012 6:06 pm

It’s like an addiction I guess. Until TSN radio puts something on the air in that time-slot besides Cybulski & Co PTS will have to do, it’s sad that it has come down to this for PTS but it’s the truth.

JohnPaulJeanPaul
JohnPaulJeanPaul
April 13, 2012 6:08 pm

And what has changed exactly on PTS?

Stan
Stan
April 13, 2012 8:18 pm

People would rather complain about PTS than make a change because people don’t like change. I changed to TSN radio and am glad I did. So for those who complain about PTS constantly yet still listen to it, well, they get exactly what they deserve.

Darren
Darren
April 13, 2012 8:22 pm

Wow Stan, sounds like you got yourself an incredible life, wish I could be more like you!!

Ami Angelwings
April 13, 2012 8:41 pm

So far I’m getting a kick out of the first segment. xD Shoalts is always so cute when he’s whining about how the entire world is out to get him. xD And yeah, it really was a “cranky old man” segment. KIDS ON BIKES RUINING EVERYTHING! INTERNET NEWS SITES ARE CONFUSING! BACK IN MY DAY WE WALKED EVERYWHERE AND READ PAPER NEWSPAPERS…. BOTH WAYS!

I wish Shannon’s voice didn’t aggravate me so much. -_- He’s still so whiny. :\

Shoalts is, I think, the only roundtable semi-regular that I like but don’t have a crush on (I like him in a “awwww it’s Brunt’s goofy friend” way)

Stan
Stan
April 13, 2012 8:43 pm

Just embrace change Darren!

Darren
Darren
April 13, 2012 8:45 pm

I do change Stan, I once hated veggies now love em, I just can’t change to Cybalski, I never liked him @ the Score and have listened a few times @ TSN and there is something about him that irritates me, maybe it’s just me, not sure.

Stan
Stan
April 13, 2012 8:50 pm

Thats the beauty of having an option Darren. There are personalities on both stations that I like to listen to and those I don’t. I’m glad both stations podcast, and I can pick and choose who to listen to.

Ami Angelwings
April 13, 2012 8:59 pm

You can’t pick and choose when you’re in the car. And simply because something is an alternative doesn’t make it better. xD

And you can certainly criticize something that you like, because you want it to be better. xD Even a crappy PTS roundtable (and I don’t think today’s was crappy) is better than anything I hear at the same time on TSN (in my opinion), that doesn’t mean I can’t say “wow this is a crappy roundtable!”

Stan
Stan
April 13, 2012 9:11 pm

Ami you are entitled to your opinion as I am mine. And since opinions can’t be wrong, then we are both right. Interesting and creative website btw.

Ami Angelwings
April 13, 2012 9:16 pm

Um… o_O Where did I say you weren’t entitled to your opinion? xD

Also opinions can be wrong. (This is not about this specific conversation, it’s just not true.)

And opinions can be commented on. :3

Stan
Stan
April 13, 2012 9:22 pm

I think PTS is always great. I guess you are right Angel …opinons CAN be wrong 🙂 Have a good night.

alex
alex
April 13, 2012 9:26 pm

Id rather listen live to pts and listen to cybulski later, except on monday when arthur is co host.

Too many throw away pop culture celebrities on cybulski’s to listenive every day.

Also, insert my regular rant about tsn’s podcast policy.

Ami Angelwings
April 13, 2012 9:33 pm

I wish TSN would change it’s podcast policy too 🙁

Another Steve
Another Steve
April 13, 2012 9:51 pm

It really depends on what your opinion of the word opinion is…

Bob
Bob
April 13, 2012 10:44 pm

Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one, but they are not really important. If you don’t like what you are hearing, don’t listen. Either get a real life or satellite radio.

Ami Angelwings
April 13, 2012 11:00 pm

Off topic… this fortnight’s Sportsnet magazine is about 2 dollars cheaper than the regular price. Is the magazine doing poorly and they slashed prices?

Kamlesh
Kamlesh
April 14, 2012 11:33 am

Goggles has new goggles. So does Doug MacLean. Is there no end, nor dignity to Rogers’ search for ratings?

As for Sportsnet magazine, maybe they need better stories than Gare Joyce’s
decline of the Montreal Canadians. Thanks for the breaking news Gare, maybe you can write about this new fangled DH rule next.

Just read on Greg Brady’s twitter about what a jerk Jim Hughson can be.
Never liked him. Bring back Bob Cole. Who else can make the big games even better?

Too bad about TSN radio podcast policy. The Cybulski-Mackowycz-Stombolopolous round table before the Jays opener was the best sports radio in ages. Cybul is effortlessly cool, and George and Macko brought the energy like only they can. Great stuff.

itchy butt
itchy butt
April 14, 2012 6:02 pm

“Just read on Greg Brady’s twitter about what a jerk Jim Hughson can be”

Pot, say hello to my friend kettle……

Sam
Sam
April 15, 2012 8:16 am

The owners must love this Ott-NYR series – the players are back to bashing each others’ skulls in… gotta love the “Olde Tyme Hockey”… pfft.

Synon
Synon
April 15, 2012 8:40 am

Cathal Kelly just murdered Toronto FC in the Star today. It’s a fantastic read and absolutely justified.

James
James
April 15, 2012 2:23 pm

Surprised that TSM hasnt (yet) posted about the apparent ratings success of the flyers penguins series in the US. I’m purely going off todays star article however, so I’m not one to talk.

But apparently ESPN has been giving it front line coverage in it’s highlight segments for example. Funnily enough the commentator noted that “hockey is a tough sell….but if youre in that group you’ll buy this” before the highlight segment.

Maybe there is just nothing else exciting in the sports world right now, but I found it interesting.

alex
alex
April 15, 2012 2:51 pm

“hockey is a tough sell” = our network doesn’t have the rights to it, otherwise, I’d never be allowed to say that on air.

April 15, 2012 8:27 pm

Been a big spring for McCown and Tim and Sid, ratings wise, apparently:

I know the ratings system is inexact to say the least, but when you see similar number book after book for years, I think it’s safe to say you have a decent idea of where the numbers lie.

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
April 15, 2012 10:54 pm

Whats with TSNR airing FOX Radio shows? I thiught they air ESPN shows. could they have lost that contract

Ami Angelwings
April 16, 2012 1:29 am

Isn’t TSN 20% owned by ESPN?

April 16, 2012 8:23 am

But it’s an achievement to keep people interested in sports when the local NHL team is doing a double Salchow into a half-filled glass of despair, the NBA team is a rumour and the major-league baseball team hasn’t started playing.

if you’re going to write like a pretentious douchebag then getting the facts right should be a high priority … you suck Dowbiggin.

/hope my nested tags worked out

Another Steve
Another Steve
April 16, 2012 10:33 am

I couldn’t find anything negative about Hughson on Brady’s twitter feed – only positive stuff. And this morning he praised Hughson on the radio.

Yes, Brady can be quite arrogant, and that’s why I don’t read his twitter anymore, but I think you might have mis-read his comment about Hughson.

William
William
April 16, 2012 11:43 am

The ratings book he’s writing about was prior to April so, technically, he’s correct that the Blue Jays weren’t playing yet.