Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

photo courtesy Reuters/Jim Young

by RobG

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown. Damien Cox co-hosts from 5pm:

400 – Tim & Sid, Sportsnet 590 The FAN
420 – Mike Zeisberger, Toronto Sun
520 – Mike Sunnucks, Phoenix Business Journal
600 – Glenn Healy, HNIC
640 – Colin Campbell, NHL VP & Director of Hockey Operations
640 – Brent Sutter, former Flames coach, coaching Canada at the World Hockey Championships

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski:

Brian Williams in studio, 100 Days till London
Alex Anthopolous
Bruce Arthur
Darren Drerger
Mike Johnson
Brian Cooper
And … “The Church of Herm Edwards”

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (11:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Jay Mohr, Comedian and Hockey Enthusiast
Rick Tocchet, Flyers Analyst and former NHL coach

Tonight on Sportsline:

TBA

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 25
  • comment-avatar
    Rick M. 8 years ago

Today I think I finally reached the end of the line with McCown. The first segment with Tim & Sim discussing hair follicles was as dreadful as anything I’ve heard in a very long time. I’ve gone weeks and even months without PTS but always came back hoping for better, but no longer. It’s a shame because the show has been on so long and still has some quality guests & even co-hosts. I have recently read that the ratings for PTS are apparently better than ever but I’m puzzled as to why. If anyone at TSN is reading this I would appreciate it if you could replace Cybulski with anyone decent so I could tune in. I still want good local sports talk in the 4-7pm slot.

The best PTS show in the last couple of weeks for me was when Cox & Brunt hosted as they covered sports topics with little time wasted on meaningless small talk.

Hope the rest of you enjoy PTS going forward.

Thanks.

Another Steve 8 years ago

Frankly, I don’t mind it all when PTS veers off-topic. I know where I can find hard sporting news whenever I need or want it. From 4-7pm I often just want some light, comfortable entertainment with PTS, and usually the show provides that.

Truck Turner 8 years ago

@Another Steve

See, I think that’s exactly the problem that a good many people—among them Rick and myself—have with PTS of late: Once upon a time, this show *was* where we found hard sporting news stories. They covered facets of the sporting world that most media outlets (radio, TV, print or otherwise) didn’t, and they covered them amazingly well. The depth with which they examined stories of the day, providing insights into the economic and even social ramifications of said stories, was unmatched by any other show in Canada, nor by any of the major U.S. syndicated programs of the time, either.

They walked a tightrope between healthy skepticism and outright cynicism very successfully for a number of years…until one day, when they simply fell off.

It has been suggested (perhaps unkindly, but understandably) that Bob McCown might be showing evidence of a mental decline of sorts. Maybe it’s simply the complacency that comes from having been the big swinging dick atop the mountain for years without any discernible challengers. But either way, what was once at least two hours a day of the best sports talk available anywhere on the continent, the kind that didn’t make you feel ever so slightly sheepish for having an all-sports station tuned in for the entire afternoon drive, has become three hours of mostly useless wheel-spinning, entirely interchangeable with the afternoon drive sports shows of any other market in the country (not counting the ones syndicating PTS, naturally).

Occasionally there is a flash of the old brilliance (although never, interestingly, when John Shannon is serving as co-host…), but by and large, the show is shadow of its former self. What was once the sporting world’s equivalent of a well-moderated and civil current affairs roundtable has become three hours of predictable banter, aimless small talk, and, even worse, apathy. It isn’t so much that the show isn’t what it once was that is disappointing; most things good OR bad never last. It’s that McCown really doesn’t seem to give a shit about it one way or the other.

ML in Kingston 8 years ago

I agree Rick, it was dreadful, It made me tune to tsn and within 5 minutes i was down to making supper. Cybalski makes Cox sound like a genius. One suggestion to those using the internet, tune into espn1050, the Michael Kay show is worth a listen, not much hockey talk but great guests and very entertaining,

• comment-avatar

Guys, you don’t like it,There is a bunch of other radio stations you can listen to. I have an app on my Iphone that allows me to listen to just about every station in North America. and Everyday I come back to PTS, you want to leave, I believe the latest ratings books show, there is 2 to replace you.

I just hope that if you (the general you, not specific you) are really serious about not listening anymore, that I won’t have to read about how you will never listen to PTS again

• comment-avatar

I usually don’t mind when Bob veers off topic and chats with his guests… but today was too boring. xD Maybe it’s because I’m not a guy and talk about baldness, etc is irrelevant to me, but I started to zone and had to tune out. But then I tuned back in after and it was okay, even with Cox on. 🙂

ML in Kingston 8 years ago

In fairness Stan, how much can one listen to McKenzie(fat head), Dreger and the Monster?

mike (in boston) 8 years ago

i have no problem reading complaints so long as they are even mildly constructive.

[name redacted] 8 years ago

“The guests and co-hosts on TSN radio are generally better than what the FAN offers (same old same old FOB), and they are more likely to stick to sports talk.”

Of course, cybulski’s show often has popular culture guests like rappers and comedians,much more than prime time.

• comment-avatar

How can anyone listen to Kypreos, Cox, or Shannon? I will say this though ML, having a variety of guests would be preferable most of the time than listening to the same ones every day.

Chubby 8 years ago

I never mind it when Bob discusses something other than sports. Some of my favorite memories of the Fan are when the Lady and the Tramps would discuss random topics. I’m probably not your average listener though, at this point in my life I’m a bigger fan of Bob McCown than sports in general. If he switched stations and never discussed sports again I’d still listen to him.

• comment-avatar

@Chubby that is exactly how I feel about Bob usually 😀 I love when he talks sports, but I’m just in love with him in general and hearing him talk. Bob and Brunt could talk forever about squirrels and I’d listen. (I often think they would be good children’s show hosts… the Bob & Brunt segments remind me a lot of Mr. Dress Up talking to Casey, with Brunt as Casey… “hey Mr. McCown! What’s up today?” )

It’s just Bob & Sam & Ted talking about baldness hit a topic I really didn’t care about & it was zoning me out xD

Dave in Bolton 8 years ago

How abou TSNR flip Cybulski and Hayes . They have the same demo as McCowan and Sam and Ted.
    TSNR should hire Nelson Millman to run the station but If i was in charge of TSNR the schedule would look like this.

6 – 9 Mournings with Don Landry and Gord Stelleck
    9 – 11 The Bryan Hayes Show.
    11 – 1 Insider Trading with James Cybulski and the insiders (not just hockey other sports as well)
    1 – 4 the Onrait and O’toole show
    4 – 7 The Main Event with Darren Dutchyshen
    7 -12 Game Night with Jim Tatti and Mike Hogan
    12 – 5 All Night with Mike Richards

lister 8 years ago

Three hours. Nine segments. Some of you can’t deal with one segment either being loosely sports related or none at all? As Chubby mentioned the Lady and the Tramps hour waaaaay back when was quite entertaining. A nice breather amongst all the sports talk (back when I listened to the radio for most of the day in the summers.)

For those that bitch and moan so much, why are you still listening? Or even listening to the whole show? Just tune in for the segments you like. There’s frequently lots of segments that I have no interest in so I just fast forward (PVR.) Sometimes the whole show isn’t to my liking. Oh well, can’t please everyone but I don’t bitch about it.

Rick M. 8 years ago

Lister – I’m happy for you that you don’t ‘bitch’ about anything. Some people do not. I don’t take sports talk too seriously but I know what I like. Bad segments on PTS have occurred much too frequently. McCown’s slow, plodding style has become so unappealing it’s forced me to tune out. I also believe that legitimate complaints & criticisms are very healthy, particularly when one has become very disappointed with a product they have previously enjoyed. If you don’t like people criticising, you have a right not to read or comment.

Dave in Bolton – Interesting line up but Hayes sounds like a forced Jim Rome impersonator and does not work for me at all. Onrait & O’toole seem clownish and make me feel like I’m watching/listening to children’s programming. I like Dutchyshen and wouldn’t mind hearing him on radio. Tatti has been excellent doing his game night show and I look forward to listening every time I’m on the road and even at home sometimes. I wonder if Tatti would do well in the 4-7pm slot? I’ve also heard Lansberg on radio and thought he was pretty good.

Thanks.

• comment-avatar

I’m generally pro-non sports talk on sports talk shows provided its organic. I think some of my favorite shows in the past (Kornheiser’s old ESPN show, LeBatard’s show in Miami) are full of “hooey and applesauce.”

When its forced and you can tell its being done by the numbers, it’s often poor.

• comment-avatar

Why can’t people complain about a radio show in a forum for talking about radio shows? -_o People criticize and fanboy/girl over TV shows all the time. This is kinda like telling Bob et al who are criticizing the current things going on in the NHL to watch something else, as if not liking a few things about a current iteration of a product means you can’t like the general product. :3 Besides, it shows that people DO like PTS that they complain if it’s quality is substandard. :3 <— cute cat face

lister 8 years ago

Rick M. – Touché! I will certainly practice what I preach in future with select commenters. 😉

Ticky 8 years ago

@Alex

I still listen to Kornheiser’s show now and am a firm believer in his two policy’s: never interview athletes, and never take phone calls.

I’m a Tim & Sid listener from back at The Score podcast days, and I’d prefer their new show a lot more if they didn’t interview athletes as most of the time I find myself bored and skipping through the segment.

ML in Kingston 8 years ago

Agreed Ticky

mike (in boston) 8 years ago

TRUCK TURNER – you should comment here more. that was a well thought out and well articulated opinion. Can’t say that I disagree with any of it. There was a time when PTS was the best of its genre. Now it is merely one show among many. It still has the potential to be very good, but it has been plumbing the depths of bad radio for a while now.

Rick M. 8 years ago

Truck Turner – Wow! I think that was the best reasoned and well thought out comment on the current state of PTS I’ve ever read or have ever said myself. If you have any further thoughts on sports media, I’d be happy to read them.

Thanks.

Thomas 8 years ago

If postings were measured in base hits, Truck Turner just hit a walk-off home run into the empty upper deck seats at Skydome! I think the ball is still rattling around up there. I hope Truck wasn’t using performance enhancing drugs because it was that good. I agree with everything he said about Prime Time Sports and Bob McCown. Hate to say this but I think it’s time to put Bob out to pasture but it’s not happening as long as ratings are good or something unexpected happens. He had a good run but it’s over.

• comment-avatar

Interviews with athletes are basically like interviews with actors when they’re still attached to a current movie: they’re generally never going to say anything bad about the director, the producer, the movie, or the other actors. They’re just gonna say standard boilerplate about how hard people worked, how fun or crazy or whatever the movie was, how it means this, that and the other thing, and you don’t actually get anything of worth. If you want a breakdown of the movie, you need to interview a critic, and that’s kinda the same in sports interviews… if you want to hear the general things about how hard the team has to work, how you have to give 110%, that just keep on trying, how great the coaches have been, how the GM has stuck by them, etc etc then you interview the athlete, but if you want to talk about the actual game or team and analyze it, then you need to talk to analysts and columnists.