Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by RobG

This picture was secretly captured in the NHL offices this week during one of their player disciplinary meetings.

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown. Damien Cox co-hosts from 5pm:

400 – Bob Elliott, Toronto Sun
420 – Elliotte Friedman, HNIC
600 – Alex Anthopoulos, GM, Blue Jays
620 – Darren Rovell, CNBC
640 – Scott Niedermayer, former Devils and Ducks player

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

4:00 – Claude Lemieux IN STUDIO
4:30 – Chuck Liddell
5:15 – Bob McKenzie
5:30 – Dan Shulman
5:45 – Dwane Casey, Raps Head Coach
6:00 – Darren Dreger
6:30 – TSN’s “The Stats Guy”

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Alex Pietrangelo, St. Louis Blues defenseman
Claude Lemieux, Retired NHL player
Jon Jones and Rashad Evans, UFC 145 Main Event Fighters

Tonight on Sportsline:

Has Cory Schneider wrestled the Canucks number 1 goaltending job from Roberto Luongo? Despite never leading a game in the series will the Senators upset the Rangers? Are the Blue Jays getting value from Brandon Morrow after he signed a $20 million dollar extension and is coach Sean Foley correct that the medias criticism of Tiger Woods is way out of hand? Join Bubbs and Hesby, tonight at 7 on CHCH

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 17
  • comment-avatar

Plenty of ammunition today for those who dont like the meandering non-sports segments.

• comment-avatar
    (Another) Andrew 7 years ago

So ATP tennis gets the same ratings as PTI. I’m glad to hear that. The parochial emailers complaining that Masters ATP tournaments like Monte Carlo don’t matter probably think 1 game out of 82 in a basketball/hockey season or 1 out of 162 in baseball somehow does matter! Don’t they have radios anyway?

Scooby-Doo 7 years ago

This has been the worst 2 hours of radio/tv in the History of either. Bob said earlier to someone that he NEVER re-listens to his shows because he is there and knows how the show went. Maybe he should start listening just so he can see the garbage he is putting out there. Is this insistence of garbage because of his contract or lack there of? CBC Radio has been a blessing today.

ML in Kingston 7 years ago

That was the worst I have ever heard on PrimeTime since it began, just no words to describe what that was.

• comment-avatar

I find meandering conversations work really well with Bob and Brunt, but not Bob and Cox… Bob and Shannon are okay, but it tends to go into really old pop culture territory and I feel lost. xD

Bob and Brunt talk about squirrels and philosophical questions like “if you reach the bottom of an abyss can it really be an abyss?” 😀

Cox seems to spend most meandering conversations making fun of Bob, or just acting like everything Bob likes is stupid :\ Kinda like he did with Glenn Healy the other day when he was like “wow look at him turtle!” and stuff… and that always ends up dragging Bob into it (who seems to act differently depending on his co-host), and I find it hard to listen to, even though I found the topic (and the argument) really interesting. Brunt and Arthur and Bob have ways to be contrary, even combative, without resorting to mocking, or characterizing the person they’re talking to, rather than responding to what’s being said. (People Bob ban from the show tend to also be ones who do that to Bob, like the guy who was arguing with Bob about the NCAA’s responsibility in the Penn State scandal, who was making personal attacks on Bob before Bob hung up on him) And I didn’t even think the Healy context was such that being combative was even necessary.

Off topic, does anybody know, by the way, why Grange was removed as Blair’s co-host? Was it a Grange thing, or was it that the Powers-That-Be prefer Blair solo? Because I thought Blair worked a lot better with a co-host.

• comment-avatar

Does Grange even do radio hits on the station? Maybe they decided he wasn’t ready for radio yet and just let him do the magazine and website.

Was it one of the Yahoo columnists with the Penn State thing? (Passat maybe) I lot of their columnists seem to be confrontational in their tone, perhaps as a tactic to differentiate themselves from all the ESPN people.

I’ll be curious to see how many of those questions Cox answered from that thread a few weeks ago. He certainly gives off the appearance of having a thin skin (based on how defensive he can be and his quick trigger finger to ban people on Twitter).

Another Steve 7 years ago

Alex, I hear Grange quite often on Tim and Sid.

mike (in boston) 7 years ago

Grange has been tried and removed as a co-host from several shows now. A lot of people here really like him, but I find him too slow on radio. It takes him forever to get a thought out, and it is usually mangled. Even when he manages to contribute, his opinions are usually pretty forgettable, at least to my ears.

Rogers seems to have taken the approach that anyone can be a radio host. That’s not true.

Another Steve 7 years ago

I think Grange is excellent, mostly because he is a smart fellow and takes his time in speaking.

Of course, I tend to dislike radio-hosts who sound too much like used-car salesmen.

Peter Gzowski once said that radio is the most intimate of all the medias, probably because it makes the listener concentrate the most. I usually listen when Grange talks. Yes, he’s not intellectual, but no-one on sports radio is intellectual.

I understand that a lot of people can’t stand his public-radio type of delivery, but there are people, namely me, who much prefer that approach to the acting you get from so many other hosts. It really depends on what you want from radio. I like my talk radio to be slow and conversational, and find that so many other hosts remind me of why I can’t stand most of what’s on commercial radio.

mike (in boston) 7 years ago

that’s totally fair Another Steve. Truth be told, I would probably take Grange over Blair. But neither of these guys is able to deliver a thought in the optimal way for radio. You can be slow and conversational while still being articulate and clear.

speaking of used car salesmen … I was listening to some Hayes show podcasts and it is striking how he goes back and forth between his faux Jim Rome style and what is probably his normal conversational voice. He was talking about the Jays-Rays series and said: “Longoria has been dominant at the three bag …” First, no one says 3-bag in baseball. It was some bizarre attempt to say things in a more stylized way. Just stop it Hayes. Second, after he said that he went on to make some interesting points and had a nice conversation with his guest about baseball. It was almost as if he forgot to put on his radio voice.

Hayes needs to let the shtick go. It’s not adding anything, and it detracts from the quality of his show.

Rick M. 7 years ago

I can’t comment on PTS yesterday because I didn’t listen but it must have been pretty bad to warrant such strong reaction from some of you. Perhaps I stopped listening just in time…? I still really do hope that we will someday have quality local sports talk from 4-7pm again. It used to be a good time slot.

Ami – I know you love McCown based on comments you have previously posted but I think your general point about Cox is incorrect. Bob is the main host of PTS and is always in charge of steering the conversation on. If things get silly or out of hand, it’s his responsibility. Just one of the reasons I stopped listening.

Thanks.

(Another) Andrew 7 years ago

I saw Grange being interviewed about the Ottawa Senators and he seemed different. He was talking fast and loud and was unusually animated – in a fake way. I think they (Rogers) must be giving him some media training.

Roger 7 years ago

Grange went to Western – which explains why he still has a job.

• comment-avatar

“I know you love McCown based on comments you have previously posted but I think your general point about Cox is incorrect. Bob is the main host of PTS and is always in charge of steering the conversation on. If things get silly or out of hand, it’s his responsibility.”

I completely agree, and I wish he would take more command, but I also think Cox’s personality doesn’t mesh well with Bob’s. I would like Bob to take command more, but that’s not his personality, and he’s the guy on the show you can’t get rid of. I wasn’t saying Cox needs to change because I know Cox can’t change, it’s just if this is the way the mix is, then I don’t think Cox is a good co-host for Bob (at least to my listening pleasure :3 ) I don’t think Bob is perfect, nor do I think Cox has to be somebody he’s not, but no matter who’s “fault” it is, it is what it is, and the result is radio that’s not combative and at times juvenile (with the insults) and if Bob’s personality is such he can’t change, then picking better co-hosts that fit him is the variable that can change, and therefore what I talk about. 🙂

Rick M. 7 years ago

Ami – I think I understand your point but McCown is not a child. He has plenty of clout. I’ve listened enough over the years to realize he is willing to bully anyone who will let him get away with it, especially those not named Brian Colangelo & Brian Burke. He seems quite afraid of them. He will also name-call and insult those who successfully challenge and squash his assertions and opinions. Cox has sometimes been a giggling child when appearing on the show but whether you like him or not, he is not shy about challenging people’s opinions on just about anything. I’ve always felt McCown can be easily intimidated by this which perhaps is why he resorts to petulance. It’s too old and tired an act for my taste. Yet another reason I’ve stopped listening. I’m not sure the quality of the show will ever be good again with McCown.

Thanks.

• comment-avatar

Grange on the round table today.

Kamlesh 7 years ago

Funny Rob Ford joke on Cybulski – “Rob Ford not attending Pride Parade; he’s not against gays, he’s against walking.”

Cybulski also having fun with 4/20 – funny first hour.

Will listen to PTS podcast later while running. Hope Grange takes the cotton out of his mouth before he speaks.