Monday morning sports radio lineups

On TSN Radio:

5:45am Buzz Bissinger
6 30am Jack Armstrong
7:15am Bob Weeks
7:30am Pierre McGuire
7:45am Scott Ferguson
8:00am Darren Dreger & Jamie McLennan
8:15am Kerry Fraser

On Fan 590
720 Scott Morrissin
820 ken rosenthal
840 Mark Recchi

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 23
  • comment-avatar

Listening to Jays Talk, and Wilner getting annoyed at callers pushing certain ideas, I’m realizing a lot of them are people just taking their cue from Bob. It’s possible their opinions just happen to match up with Bob’s, but I think at least some of them are just seeing what Bob’s told them to see, and a lot of their arguments are almost carbon copies of what Bob’s said in previous shows. Recent examples would be Colby Rasmus being lazy, and Eric Thames being terrible and needing to be replaced with Snider. And I’m just wondering if part of the friction (if there is friction) between Bob and Wilner is that Wilner is annoyed at Bob for influencing so many people to viewpoints he considers extreme, off-base or simplistic. Conversely, maybe he especially dislikes those views because he knows Bob supports them too?

• comment-avatar
    Rick M. 7 years ago

I’m going to vent just this one time about something that has always irritated me and always will.

This morning I heard Darren Dreger on TSNR say he thought the Canucks have stopped listening to Alain Vigneault. Why does Dreger think this? What is he basing his opinion on? Does he have a factual reason or is it just a hunch? Nobody bothered asking Dreger. I’d like to know so as a listener so I can decide for myself if there is any substance to his viewpoint. I don’t need world class journalism from sports radio but expecting a reporter/journalist to back up an opinion or claim is the least one can expect. I don’t think I’m asking for much.

This is not just about Dreger. I’m only using him as an example of people giving opinions or making claims without any explanation whatsoever. This happens at every level and form of media and is one reason my confidence in all media has greatly deteriorated.

Thanks.

mike (in boston) 7 years ago

Ami – you couldn’t pay me to listen to JaysTalk. I think you’re spot on with your assessment though: Bob’s a veteran baseball fan but has distaste for modern baseball analytics. He bases his opinions mostly on what he sees (hustle, clutch plays, big strikeouts, etc.). Wilner finds intangibles to be a risible concept, and furthermore needs to condescend to others in order to function. So it’s not surprising that he would find Bob-styled opinions unbearable.

Rick – the concept of “losing the room” is probably foreign to all of us who have not played team sports at a high level. But, the 2011 Red Sox demonstrated that when a team stops respecting the coach/manager then things will get out of control, and this can crater the team’s performance. Now, when an “Insider” (we need to find a word to make fun of this moniker) makes this claim he either knows something (like some members of the media knew about the chicken/beer fiasco) or he’s making it up. You’re right that it would be nice if Insiders gave reasoned support rather than just making declarations.

Darrell 7 years ago

Wilner is the biggest homer for Toronto sports and puts Andy Frost’s Leaf bias to a whole new stratosphere.

While the Blue Jays are better than they have been in a long while (whether it be under Gord Ash or Riccardi) – how can every move they make be “the best move” and once the player is gone it be “the right move”?

I am a Yankees fan, but I can see some good with Toronto Blue Jays and yes some bad. I can see some good with the Yankees and some bad.

I tend to tune out Wilner when he puckers his lips up to Anthopolous’s butt and Rogers Empire.

Another Steve 7 years ago

When did Wilner say those quotes which you attribute to him?

I get that you don’t like him, but making up quotes only weakens your point.

itchy butt 7 years ago

The fact that Wilner shuts up the know nothings that call is why I like him.

Darrell 7 years ago

I agree some Blue Jay fans are idiotic and Wilner does put them in their place.

J.P. Riccardi’s statement about building a winner in 5 years: After that idea flops, Wilner defends Riccardi and kissing up saying that he didn’t say the Jays would compete in 5 years.

I can go on, if you wish? He never can look at this team objectively and say that there were mistakes made. Everything is perfect in Blue Jay land with no mistakes and no need for improvement. Also once trades have been done – that particular player is garbage.

The FAN lost out when Scott Ferguson left years ago – because he was objective instead of a “homer” for the Blue Jays.

Derrick 7 years ago

Wilner is definitely a homer. But Zaun definitely is not a homer, McCown isn’t a homer, and Blair isn’t a homer.

Didn’t Alan Ashby get fired from the Astros because he was too critical? I don’t think he’s a homer.

The Fan and Sportsnet has a fairly balanced coverage of the Jays.

Darrell, I listen to Wilner a lot and this:

“Aaron Hill/John MacDonald trade for Kelly Johnson: Prior to that trade, Wilner kept saying how Aaron Hill was the future 2B that will lead this team to the playoffs and that John MacDonald was a mentor for the younger players. He wasn’t all that keen on Johnson coming to Toronto but once he comes here, he flips it by saying that MacDonald is older (which is true) and that Hill doesn’t match the skills of Johnson. Granted Johnson is having a phenominal start this season.”

.. isn’t accurate. Wilner was big on Johnson from the beginning. Perhaps one of the only ones in the Toronto media. Hill hit .200 for 2 years. I absolutely never heard Wilner imply he was untouchable.

I’m not a fan of JP, but he didn’t ever say he had a ‘5 year plan’. This was verified.

I totally get it if you don’t like Wilner, but I don’t see how he’s biased, and those examples aren’t accurate. Don’t forget most of the calls he gets are totally irrational negative overreactions to bad days or bad weeks. It’s 12 games in – how many calls do you think he’s taken about whether Rasmus or Arencibia should be demoted/suck already? It may sound like he’s defending all the time, but I think he’s actually quite rational considering the ridiculous overreactions he usually deals with.

• comment-avatar

Wilner calls J.P. Riccardi a great manager. That tells you all you need to know about his judgement.

Darrell 7 years ago

I apologize for getting the Johnson for Hill/MacDonald trade info screwed up – it just goes to show how little Wilner is listenable too.

Mike Wilner can’t even hold the jock strap of Scott Ferguson or any other baseball observer in the media. He is just a washed up egotistical arrogant baseball reporter who thinks he is a know it all because the FAN 590 threw him in with Alan Ashby and Jerry Howarth.

I had the privilege to meet Howarth and he is totally not a homer and can objectively tell us where the Blue Jays lack some skills.

Something to think about – if the Blue Jays were going in the right direction and nothing wrong (as Wilner will lead us to believe) they would be ahead of Tampa, New York or Boston. It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with competing in the AL East.

• comment-avatar

Darrell – I don’t totally know what you mean in the last paragraph there. I get that Wilner’s not everyone’s cup of tea for sure.

The idea that the Jays are ‘going in the right direction’ isn’t just him or homerism though. The Jays are kind of a darling with the US media right now (Law, Rosenthal, Morosi, Heyman). Jayson Stark of ESPN picked the Jays to win the 2nd Wild Card.

Darrell 7 years ago

I don’t like Wilner, I don’t like Wilner, I don’t like Wilner. Can’t deny it – but I can’t take every word that he says as gospel just because he has a coushy job sitting with Jerry Howarth or Alan Ashby. Not saying any specific one of you guys are taking what Wilner says as gospel – but there are some of the Torontonians that take everything what Wilner says to be gospel and kiss the guy’s feet (how many times can one hear on a given Jays Talk – someone toot Wilner’s horn saying that they got to check out Wilner’s blog?). Gets rather sickening after repetitive callers.

• comment-avatar

I think the reason Wilner comes off as a “homer” is because he’s so critical of all his callers (for better or for worse). I think he’s become jaded from taking so many calls from people he considers to be uneducated or making stupid arguments that he now is seeing that in almost every caller. Especially, the more confident you sound on the phone, the more likely he’s going to want to bring you down to Earth. Lately, the only time he doesn’t is when people say simple statements like “I’m very happy with the progression of this team” or “it’s still early, but they look good” or “I love XYZ player”, so it comes off to some that he’s a homer because he seems like he only supports positive statements, but really it’s just because they’re very small contained simple statements. People who go “Santos looked bad today, but it’s still early” get past the Wilner defense too, but if he thinks you’re making sweeping statements, then you’ll get him telling you to calm down and explaining why you’re wrong.

I’m not old enough to know what Bob was like when he was doing Jays Talk, and I’ve never heard anybody else who did Jays Talk besides Wilner… how were the previous Jays Talkers?

• comment-avatar

I wish Bob had done 2 segments with the guy who wrote the CBC book.

Darrell 7 years ago

@ Ami – Mike Wilner took over from Scott Ferguson (who is currently on TSN Radio 1050).

mike (in boston) 7 years ago

does anyone know what Ferguson did between his departure from the FAN and the start of TSN RADIO a year ago?

i’m in the camp that finds him eminently mediocre as an analyst. his breadth and depth of knowledge are not good, in my opinion. i’ve tried to be more open minded as of late, and he does seem to be trying to learn the minor league prospects more. TSN would be doing baseball fans a huge service if they hired someone more current to cover the Jays on a daily basis.

• comment-avatar

“This season (2012) the Jays can contend with Tampa, New York and Boston. I can totally see that. This is the first season in a LONG time I can honestly say this without laughing at what words were coming out of my mouth. I agree with the US media – Toronto could easily be a Cinderella type team.

My point I was trying to make is that prior to this season – Wilner kept saying that the Jays were going to contend when it was clear signs that it was the furthest from the truth. Yet he kept sailing on the Titanic that was about ready to crash.”

I don’t really get what you mean… The Jays look good, but when Wilner said he thought they looked good he was wrong?

I agree with your thoughts on Wilner, Ami.

I remember Scott Ferguson as the Jays talk host a bit. He seems very nice, but from what I recall it was a bit dull. Very vanilla.

Mike S 7 years ago

Scott Ferguson bolted 590 to go to TEAM 1050 in 2001………….it turned out to be a questionable decision because TEAM 1050 went belly up after about a year…………….I’m not sure what he did between the end of TEAM 1050 and the start of TSN 1050 last year………………he might have worked for CFRB 1010 for some of that time

• comment-avatar

I think it was near the end of pre-season, Wilner was taking calls and some one called in (sorry I can’t remember the specifics) I think to talk about Rasmus. Wilner said “You want to talk about that? Really?!? I don’t want to talk about that.” and basically shut them down.
    Generally he’s okay, a little too condescending sometimes, but he does deal with some callers that I’d like to hang up on too.

Ami, the impression/belief that Rasmus is lazy has been perpetuated by Bob, but it was Zaun who spouted it first.

Rick, I agree with you that too many “insiders” don’t get called out a little more (at least to clarify for example that “it’s sources within the room” who are saying that AV has lost the room, or pressured to indicate the sources are players)

• comment-avatar

@Kyle I do agree that when Wilner does the “The Jays won and Bautista hit 2 home runs and you want to talk about THAT!?” thing it’s really annoying. First off because, presumably, people don’t get to call in all the time and maybe they’ve never had to chance to talk to him about that issue. And secondly, when the Jays lose, he doesn’t hold to the same standard of “they lost so you should pound on the Jays”, and so I totally understand why some people feel that they’re not allowed to criticize the Blue Jays. :\ I still think this is him being paranoid about irrational negative Jays fans, and him needing to be the smartest guy in the room, and not him being a homer, but the results are still the same, that he shuts you down more often than not if you want to be critical :\

I just heard him on the Jays Talk podcast (listening to it now) saying that “the only reason” to compare Brandon Morrow to A.J. Burnett is “trolling” and that it would only be to stir up anger. That seems a bit false to me. There are other reasons other than trying to stir up fans with the comparison. He may not agree (and I may not agree) but that doesn’t mean every person who calls in with that comparison doesn’t honestly believe it. -_-

itchy butt 7 years ago

Daniel: Thanks for setting all the false facts straight. Wilner always touted Kelly Johnson, even before the Jays got him.

He has to deal with idiots calling/tweeting about demoting Arencibia or complaining about about Morrow tossing a one run game. Morrow is not going to strike out 17 batters every game.

But then again these might be the same guys that think Tie Domi was one of the best Leafs of all time.

William 7 years ago

He did traffic reports for Skywards Traffic on stations like Joy 1250 and AM 740 for a few years.