Some Toronto Sports Radio Numbers

Some Toronto Sports Radio Numbers

By TSM

The next book is coming soon and I apologize for not getting this sooner but…

Here is where things have stood recently and I will try to get back to the chart:

For The Fan 590, men 25-54 total audience went from a 4.4 to 5.8 share in March.

Trade Deadline Day (Feb 27th). Same demo:

Brady and Lang – 4.6 share
Jeff Blair – 10.4 share
HC@Noon – 6.0 share
Tim and Sid – 14.5 share
McCown – 14.3 share

Comparing the two stations on Trade Deadline day:

590 – 9.0
TSN radio 2.7

M25-54 demo.
Brady and Lang – 4.1 to a 5.5 (feb-mar)
Jeff Blair – 3.7 to a 5.0 (feb-mar)
HC@Noon – 4.0 to a 5.6 (feb-mar)
Tim and Sid – 5.1 to an 8.4 (Feb-mar). I am told this is the best that time slot has ever had.
PTS – 10 to a 10.3 (feb-mar).

It’s interesting to note that TSN radio’s Richards show is beating the fan with several demo’s as Dowbiggin pointed out in his column . I will have more numbers for you when the new book comes out!

In the men 35-54 demo, PTS was #1 in the marketplace with a 13.5 share, beating out Q107 (12.4) and 680News (11.6). That’s impressive.

Photo available here

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 16
  • comment-avatar
    Primo 7 years ago

Yay, ratings! The immediate reaction to this is how big the ratings are for FAN 590 and especially for the new guys, Tim Micallef & Sid Seixeiro. I will take your word for it, having been told this is the best that time slot has ever had, because while I think it is a tremendous radio show for a 1-4 timeslot, I can’t usually tune in. Though, their Hockey Deadline Cold Calling coverage was entertaining, and reflects that through the ratings. Having heard them on Sirius Satellite Radio, Loose and Uncut, the chemistry between the two is money, but the show isn’t as appealing as it once was.

That said, I think the obvious observation from the ratings is how Tim And Sid at 1-4 is performing with The Fan 590’s Morning Show of Brady And Lang versus TSN & Mike Richards’ growing and overtaking ratings. The easy call would seem to be to shake up and switch The FAN’s schedule, but the question with that is how Tim And Sid’s ambitions lay out, since moving from The Score; What is Tim And Sid’s role at SportsNet in addition to The FAN? Of course, being natural TV guys hosting Score Tonight, I’m sure SportsNet Connected have them in mind, and when going up against the juggernaut, SportsCentre.

I know Bob McCown, during Tim And Sid’s entertaining sit ins, would poke Tim And Sid about their so called TV appearances and guesting, and contract situations, so one would curiously believe that they would be primed to be on TV, hosting. Therefore, it would seem they would keep the afternoon timeslot, rather than an obvious switch with the Prime Time Morning Show. As well, not to be overlooked, is the start to the Blue Jays season, and their rising success especially with the exclusivity The FAN holds, which will surely help the FAN keep a lead over Q & 680.

Primo 7 years ago

Shawn 7 years ago

The ratings noted in the previous post look like 12+ numbers to me and that counts men and women and obviously, most women aren’t listening to sports radio. Most, not all, please note I wrote. So those are incredibly inaccurate. For example, a show could have a 2.5 12+ and still have a 6.0 in Men 25-54. The second number means something, the first wouldn’t mean anything.

April looks like 590’s numbers grew and they’re in real good shape. Dowbiggin’s written about the morning numbers from 18-30 age group or so, but McCown doesn’t do great in those numbers either. I think the argument’s been made that any station or network can put out a press release and brag about numbers in this demo or that demo.

The Fan’s dominance still seems to hold in 25-54 and 35-54 demographics and from having worked in television (not on-air), I can tell you those are the only demos that matter to advertisers and if you stink in those numbers, then you might get replaced.

I agree with most logical people on here who make pointed and fair criticisms of the shows, but like everyone, I love having the two options to listen to and like everyone else, I think we’d be shocked if TSN doesn’t juggle their lineup somewhat in the next couple years. I’m not sure 590 will, there’d be contracts to pay out and if there’s not great talent sitting on the sidelines to replace them, why take the risk? I’m not suggesting TSN will fire people if their numbers stay anemic in the key areas but they may switch as they already have with moving Dan Patrick all over the place and shifting Brian Hayes from morning to afternoon. I agree with TSM, no one’s probably going anywhere anytime soon from either station.

mike (in boston) 7 years ago

if you’re running TSNR what is your first major line-up move? The Dan Patrick move doesn’t count since that was expected since the soft launch.

In my opinion, Hayes and the guy doing the mid-morning slot can stay where they are for a while. The evening program with Tati&Hogan is solid. The real question is whether TSN can improve by adjusting either the morning or the drive time show. I think the drive show could be a real competitor to PTS if they dump Cybluski and add Naylor or Hodge or some other person with journalistic credentials as the full time host. Mackowtiz and Arthur are good sidekicks, but that show would be so much better with a skilled interviewer. Since the big interviews tend to go to the drivetime show I would much prefer someone competent in that role.

this is a biased view since i don’t listen to morning shows, so maybe pruning Richards is a more pressing need. In my ideal world Cybulski would be the morning guy, since his antics seem better suited to that role.

Steve from Waterloo 7 years ago

If I am running TSNRadio, my first move is to up the level of production and sound quality.

An hour away from Toronto and I can barely get any radio reception in the eve, and when I do get it, the hosts and guest sound like they are in a wind tunnel.

May be petty, but I can’t help but focus on the sound quality and not the on air host and/or guest

itchy butt 7 years ago

The numbers say this to me….
    Put Tim and Sid in the morning slot! Get rid of those 2 cement heads.

Poker Guy 7 years ago

Agree with Itchy. The FAN’s morning show is downright awful. Brady’s arrogance, and Lang’s meaningless contribution is brutal. I said it before, they are lucky TSNR mornings are weak.

This morning, Brady said Luongo is not coming to Toronto, a trillion per cent no chance. For once Lang disagreed instead of being the bitch, and countered as to why he may. Brady challenged Lang and stated you have given me no substance as to why he’d come. Excuse me Greg, you offered to substance yourself as to why Luongo would not be coming to Toronto at all. God, go back to Detroit, or whatever hole you crawled out from to get here.

Another Steve 7 years ago

I hope Tim and Sid stay where they are. I hate everyone in the morning slot – simply because it’s the morning slot and the fact that I am grumpy in the mornings.

Rick M. 7 years ago

Game Night with Jim Tatti has become my favourite local sports talk show. Tatti is consistently bringing a great attitude, enthusiasm, sense of humour, professionalism, and solid experience. Although the show focuses on scores & highlights, they also recap the top stories of the day and have some decent interviews. It’s a shame that evenings are not an ideal listening time. I continue to wonder if Tatti would succeed in a high profile daytime slot or if the Game Night format ideally suits his skill set.

I have criticized TSNR plenty for their overall programming but I give them credit for this one. Glad I can comment positively about Toronto sports radio for a change.

Thanks.

• comment-avatar

Or maybe they’d replace HC at noon at make Tim and Sid 12 – 4?

• comment-avatar

I agree with you guys though – Odds are I don’t think The Fan makes any major changes for a long while.

• comment-avatar

Truly impressive numbers from PTS. I imagine McCown has Tim & Sid to thank for some of the increase given the stronger lead-in audience to PTS. I’m also glad to hear that others are enjoying Jim Tatti on TSN as much as I do. In my opinion, Tatti and Hogan’s show is the best of a relatively mediocre lineup on TSN.

Jonathan Giggs 7 years ago

I like Game Night as well, at least during the play-offs. Listening to the description of the goals, post-game interviews and media conferences is very interesting, especially when there is more than one game being played. I haven’t listened to The Fan at all during the evenings these days.

• comment-avatar

“I’m not saying I would prefer this – but if Tim and Sid develop into a juggernaut, I wonder if The Fan will be pressed to put them in mornings and, say, put Brady solo back in afternoons.”

On Sirius 157, they actually still have a graphic that says “Greg Brady Show” that comes up during the 1:00 of Tim and Sid that’s on there.

Nan Young Lee 7 years ago

TSN should push for the Leafs to replace Burke with Doug MacLean. Anybody would be better than Burke plus 590’s Hockey Central would be a weakened challenger to a TSN midday show (preferably one without Hayes – why is is on 4 hours a day, does he think he’s Francesa?).

Mike S 7 years ago

The most interesting numbers here are those for Sam and Ted………….their show started in December and these are the first numbers I have seen for them……………..the 8.4 they got for March is eye-popping……………it may just be an anomoly but if they can stay anywhere close to that number I assume the management people at 590 will be thrilled