Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

By Rob Gregg

Here’s are your drive home lineups

On Fan 590 Tonight-

– Bryan Colangelo

On TSN Radio 1050

Jake Gardiner and Matt Frattin IN STUDIO

Brendan Halloran, Comedian

5:15
Bob McKenzie

5:30
Brian Colangelo

6:00
Darren Dreger and Paul Maurice IN STUDIO

6:30
Sherman Hamilton and Darren Andrade IN STUDIO (NBA Playoffs)

Tonight on Sportsline:

After taking a serious run at the Rangers are the Senators set for future success? Are you on board with the Raptors slow and steady growth after a 23 win season? What needs to be done for the Blue Jays to improve their offense and who is the worst team in Toronto?

Join Hebsy & Bubbs tonight at 7, on CHCH.

photo available here

Ami Angelwings
April 27, 2012 8:48 pm

A roundtable without Shannon or Cox! O: When I heard yesterday that Shannon wasn’t going to be on today, I thought it meant Cox was back but it’s neither!

I enjoyed this roundtable. πŸ™‚

itchy butt
itchy butt
April 27, 2012 9:12 pm

Loathe Buffery’s writing but he was good on the RT.

alex
alex
April 27, 2012 9:36 pm

I have no point of reference for the.third guy, but the show was okay. Best segment was probably deitsch talking draft coverage.

Another Steve
Another Steve
April 27, 2012 9:54 pm

For some reason I always expect Buffery to start shouting and was oddly a bit disappointed. πŸ™‚

Ami Angelwings
April 28, 2012 4:58 am

I’m starting to wonder if the FAN should start planning Wilner moving on from Jays Talk. Again, I really do love him and if he was a person I met online, I’d totally respect the way he handles trolls, but hosting a call-in radio show isn’t the same thing, and he’s basically (deliberately or not) turned Blue Jays Talk into being about him. :\ Every call now is either about attacking him or attacking his critics, because the way he treats his callers has turned the show into a referendum on his idea and his rhetoric. I’m sure if the Jays were doing well, he’d go the opposite direction and his critics would be angry at him for being negative, and his defenders would be criticizing his critics for being so positive, so this isn’t that I think he’s biased, but I think the show has become about him rather than people discussing the Jays. :\

I’m not saying he should be FIRED, but I think that 10 years doing call-ins has taken a toll on him and his ability to be patient with callers and let the show be about callers rather than being about “present your arguments to the throne” and that maybe it’s time for fresh ears. πŸ™‚

Another Steve
Another Steve
April 28, 2012 12:32 pm

Totally disagree, Ami. Wilner is the only reason that I listen to the Jays-talk. I certainly don’t listen for the callers.

April 28, 2012 1:04 pm

he’s basically (deliberately or not) turned Blue Jays Talk into being about him

that’s a fair assessment of the state of affairs. whether we like it or not, JaysTalk is the main outlet for fans who have just watched or attended the game to speak their minds. I respect Wilner’s attempt to raise the bar on what counts as a discussion worth having, but his personality is not right for that kind of show. I have not listened this year so i can’t comment on whether it is any better or worse than years past, but Wilner is not worth listening to in my opinion. Someone else could be doing that job much better than he is.

Rick M.
Rick M.
April 28, 2012 1:24 pm

Game Night with Jim Tatti replayed an interview that Cybulski & his co-host did with a couple of Leafs, and it was terrible! I haven’t listened to the Cybulski show in a very long time but it sounds like he has not improved at all. Just awful stuff. Is he related to someone in ownership at TSN? I just can’t understand how he is still on the air.

Thanks.

Stan
Stan
April 28, 2012 2:36 pm

Wilner, along with all the Rogers clones are glorified cheerleaders for the Jays. You’ll notice they criticize players but never the owners (Rogers) or management (AA or Beeston) so their coverage of the Jays is biased.

Ami Angelwings
April 28, 2012 3:56 pm

@Another Steve I agree with you. I only tune into listen to Wilner, and I love him b/c he has delicious snark and he’s smart, but I’m concerned it’s coming at the detriment of the callers and other listeners :\ I wasn’t saying that as a personal opinion of my own enjoyment, but that it might not be good for Jays Talk if people feel that it’s a plebiscite on Wilner’s opinion.

April 28, 2012 5:27 pm

@Stan

I hear this all the time, and I couldn’t disagree more.

McCown regularly criticizes Rogers for not spending. Regularly. Same with Brunt. And Blair. And Zaun.

Greg Brady may be the most critical MSMer of the Blue Jays in Toronto. The US media fawns all over AA, but Brady is regularly (an incorrectly in my opinion) dismissive of a lot of his moves.

Throwing out ‘they work for Rogers so they’re biased’ is an easy thing to say, but if you listen to the station at all and are objective yourself it’s definitely not correct.

itchy butt
itchy butt
April 28, 2012 7:26 pm

I’ll take Wilner’s crustiness over Scott Ferguson’s golly gee nice guy routine any day. When some tool calls up and says “let’s trade Bautista, Rasmus, Lawrie and Lind for Fielder, I want someone to say “are you on glue?” rather than “hey thanks for the call!”.

itchy butt
itchy butt
April 28, 2012 7:54 pm

Perfect example…..
Caller:
“Why don’t the Jays have a 35th anniversary patch?”

For the love of L Ron Hubbard, who gives a fruck?????

April 28, 2012 8:16 pm

LOL … Itchy i tuned in just now and heard the same call and was about to feel sorry for our man Wilner but then he says “well sure 10, 15, 20, those are important but 35! that’s just the passage of time!” way to be consistent there Mike …

Another Steve
Another Steve
April 28, 2012 8:23 pm

I liked the sly remark he made regarding the anti-Canadian conspiracy caller and putting away the “tinfoil hats.”

itchy butt
itchy butt
April 28, 2012 8:33 pm

Mike, I think he said 10, 25 and 50.

15 is meaningless, unless you are Alanis Morrisette and release “Jagged Little Pill-15th Anniversary Edition” πŸ™

kyle
kyle
April 28, 2012 9:33 pm

the Raptors celebrated 15.

not that it means it’s right.

kyle
kyle
April 28, 2012 9:41 pm

how much did Mike talk about catching the foul ball?

I’m only half joking. I could hear Jerry’s mic hit something (the desk? the floor?). kind of funny audio

April 28, 2012 10:36 pm

I am not a big fan of Tom Wright but it was nice to hear some different voices on the PTS roundtable this week…………….I don’t remember Buffery ever being on the roundtable before……………he did a decent job………………he is almost as cynical as Perkins

Rick M.
Rick M.
April 29, 2012 7:49 pm

I tuned in late last night to TSN radio just to get a scoring recap. Instead, a guy named Mike Salk was on from ESPN overnight radio. I only planned on listening for a few minutes but it turned into the best hour of sports talk I’ve heard all year! I’ve listened to this guy a couple of times before but completely forgot about him. The NHL & NBA playoffs, the Red Sox, and Bobby Valentine were discussed. He gave strong, confident, well reasoned opinions and sounded very much like a guy who watched and followed sports closely. No beating around the bush, no small talk, no wasted time. It was exactly the type of sports talk I enjoy. Apparently this guy has a show on ESPN Seattle radio so I’m going to give it a shot and hope he’s just as good over there.

Really glad that TSN radio has exposed me to some outside talent.

Thanks.

Chef Mike in Burlington
April 30, 2012 1:21 pm

Wow…I’m gone for 3 months and folks still argue LOVE/HATE Wilner!!

I LOVE Rogers the phone company but HATE Rogers the team owners, that’s no secret, but even I admit openly that Wilner is likely in the top 2-3 baseball minds in the MSM. I think he is an arrogant, patronizing dick, but he also has the stats; the facts and the real knowledge of baseball to support his words, regardeless of how he speaks.

As for FAN bias, I’ve been listening to far less FAN than I used to, but what I have heard does seem to be balanced than it has been in the past. That being said, it clearly hasn’t impacted Rogers ownership decisions, they are 23rd in payroll this year and no one make the playoffs from there…

Ami Angelwings
April 30, 2012 4:22 pm

Yesterday’s Jays Talk was an example of why I love Wilner, and when he’s perfect for the show xD Specifically, I was thinking about those 2 callers who thought they had it all figured out re: Bautista’s hitting slump. I always love when the people call in who are so “yeah I figured it out! No trainer or coach is as smart and observant as me watching TV” xD Also there were a bunch of other silly callers that made me roll my eyes…

I just think Wilner is increasingly treating people who simply disagree but aren’t acting arrogant or like “know it alls” or “I’ve been watching baseball for 30 years so I know that…” as if he’s talking to those people, and that’s a bit unfair to me.

Ticky
Ticky
April 30, 2012 4:31 pm

How could anyone love Rogers the phone company? Or the cable company? Or the internet company?

Ami Angelwings
April 30, 2012 4:53 pm

You’ve obviously never seen the Rogers Catalogue Swimsuit Edition.