Toronto Sports Media Morning Drive Lineups

By TSM

Here’s your drive lineup for your listening enjoyment this am:

On 590 with Greg Brady and Jim Lang:

8:15am Chad Owen

8:30am Dan Shulman

photo available here

itchy butt
itchy butt
May 1, 2012 6:57 am

Paulina Gretzky….shave or wax?
Be proud, Wayne, be proud!

itchy butt
itchy butt
May 1, 2012 7:02 am

Tuned in to the 2 tools this morning hoping for some Darvish talk. They started a “juiced” discussion that sounded like 2 teenagers at a lunch table.

“Braun had a helluva game”
“Hmmmm…..ya gotta wonder”
” Well what about the guy in Toronto that hit 90 homers the last few years and none before?”
“He has had 16 tests and is clean”
“So HE says!”

My Dad can beat up your Dad.

May 1, 2012 12:29 pm

I am not much of a baseball fan but the last hour of Blair’s show today was pretty good……………..he had Jon Paul Morosi in studio for the entire hour and they talked extensively about Yu Darvish and other baseball issues

May 1, 2012 2:13 pm

Blair’s not a smooth broadcaster by any means, but he might be the only broadcaster on sports radio here who really ‘gets’ baseball (with the exception of the Jays pbp crew).

Kamlesh
Kamlesh
May 1, 2012 9:26 pm

Could TSN sign Tim and Sid away from 590 and put them in the morning slot or even against Bob? I assume those are the 2 top moneymaking segments and Tim and Sid could be more valuable for TSN there, than at 1 to 4 on theFAN. I wonder how long their contract is for. They may be on the threshold of big bucks. Good for them, they put on an entertaining show.

alex
alex
May 1, 2012 11:06 pm

Given that they just started on 590 (after what I assume was a couple month no-compete clause), you’d assume they have a fresh new contract at a decent length (2+ years).

I did think today that they have do a morning show vibe, with all the sound effects and the repeating and the complimenting themselves on a good segment.

Darrell
Darrell
May 1, 2012 11:13 pm

I am not a Greg Brady fan – but his “Good of you to join us. We appreciate it….” constant repeating to guests on the show I find it annoying. I realize I am biting away at straws here.

It’s so annoying to know exactly at what point he is going to say that. It’s either at the beginning of the interview or at the end – either way it is so freakon’ annoying. Thanking the guests is fine – but are those words, “Good of you to join us – we appreciate it….” the only words he knows how to say to guests on the show?

Greg Brady is a HORRIBLE radio host.

May 2, 2012 12:28 am

Disagree with you on Brady. He irritates me sometimes, but I think he’s a very, very good host. I think he’s clever and funny.

Tim and Sid had huge numbers last book… who knows, maybe they could do mornings at some point with Brady going back to afternoons.

Sam
Sam
May 2, 2012 6:45 am

I don’t really listen to Brady in the mornings – in the past have found him witty. His twitter feed has become annoying – had to turn it off.

To be fair, I’d like to see what he could do with a better co-host in the morning.

May 2, 2012 8:28 am

no lineups? But how will i know which PTS co-host to bash or how many hockey Insiders TSN will interview? In related news, wasn’t there some talk of hiring more writers to provide some original content here?

Caught the final inning of the Jays game last night. Exciting night with a big part of the future of the franchise getting a walk-off home run. Tuned in to the post game which had to be cut short so they could go to Rick Nattress (?) and some FAN scrub providing wall-to-wall coverage of the lone NHL playoff game from Tuesday night.

Rogers’ treatment of the Jays never ceases to puzzle and disappoint. They are by far the most promising team in Toronto, yet Rogers refuses to do what they can to vault the team into prominence.

Julian
Julian
May 2, 2012 8:30 am

Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Every show at 590 is winning its time slot in the key demographics. They won’t make a change, people. Someday I’ll figure why the same five or six people on this website listen every day to shows they hate. It’s not even, “hey, this interview sucked”, or “why’d they have this guest?”, it’s just HORRIBLE and yet you listen.

When I hear John Shannon, I’m gone.

When I hear Roger Lajoie, I’m gone.

When I hear Bill Watters, I’m gone.

When I hear lame comedy bits on a sports station, I’m gone.

Here’s what I would say critically: I would bet the powers that be at 590 see Tim and Sid as potential future successors to McCown. It feels more relaxed and like an afternoon show than Brady’s show. What they did shifting Brady for Krystal was not probably in the plans and goes against the grain. Personalities get identified with timeslots and it’s rare that “trades” get made. You won’t see, Mike & Mike on ESPN move to afternoons at any point nor has Jim Rome ever done morning radio. The slots are usually the slots.

I agree, rather see Brady with another co-host. But they’re not going to switch Tim & Sid 3 months into doing a show and building an audience in that slot. Then you piss everyone off. Brady’s listeners don’t like it, TIm & Sid’s listeners don’t, and then how on earth do you then move Tim & Sid to replace McCown? There aren’t any big danger signs for the station, I don’t know how many more ways it can be said. I hope the majority of people like having two stations here, it’s great to have the options, and Toronto deserves it.

Another Steve
Another Steve
May 2, 2012 11:53 am

I usually enjoy the posts Julian, but the “lather, rinse, repeat” business has got to go.

Truck Turner
Truck Turner
May 2, 2012 5:10 pm

FYI Julian: Jim Rome not only has done morning radio, he *is* doing morning radio, and has been for the best part of fifteen years—although it airs in the Eastern time zone from noon until three, Rome’s show is still broadcast, as it always has been, live from Los Angeles…meaning it actually runs from 9 a.m. to noon local time.

Julian
Julian
May 2, 2012 5:18 pm

Shoulda clarified “morning drive” radio, TT! Yes, aware he does his show from 9am onward in California, but most syndicated shows run in the mid-morning, and mid-day period and obviously at night, while morning drive and afternoon drive are almost always local, although Mike and Mike are changing that.

Jeff Blair and Scott whatever for TSN are doing “morning radio” too, but I’d argue it’s a far cry from being called a station’s “morning show”.