Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

By Rob Gregg

Here’s are your drive home lineups

On TSN Radio 1050:

Isiah Mustafa, Guy from the Old Spice commercials
Huge LA Kings fan

Phife Dawg, Tribe Called Quest,
Upset Knicks fan and discusses passing today of Adam Yauch (Beastie Boys)

Todd Fuhrman, Las Vegas Odds maker and analyst

Brian Cooper, Weekly business analyst

Bob McKenzie, TSN Hockey Insider

Darren Dreger

OTR:
Doug Gilmour and Curtis Joseph, Former Toronto Maple Leafs
Mike Modano, NHL Legend

Tonight on Sportsline:

After his performance against the Angels is Brandon Morrow for real? With the Yankees losing Mariano Rivera for the season, is the AL East up for grabs? Are the LA Kings the best team in the NHL and is hiring Phil Jackson the only solution to save the NY Knicks?

Join Hebsy & Bubbs, tonight at 7 on CHCH.

Photo is here

alex
alex
May 4, 2012 6:07 pm

Somehow, I knew that 1050 would have a guest to discuss the passing of Adam Yauch and 590 would not.

It was nice that the first hour of the roundtable I think had 0 hockey talk for a change. Saving it all for hour 2 I guess.

May 4, 2012 6:19 pm

How many times in a segment can Shanhon possibly look down on who he is talkin to and say ‘LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING’

May 4, 2012 6:20 pm

or ‘WHAT I WILL TELL YOU’

May 4, 2012 6:26 pm

I was listening to some PTS podcast from one of the network hours a week ago (maybe more …) and Bob was 4 seconds in to introducing the program (“coast to coast across Canada and the FAN network …”) before Shannon interrupts and starts making fun of the voice Bob was using. I was actually shocked Bob laughed it off. The complete and utter lack of professionalism by Shannon never ceases to amaze. Bob’s toleration of someone who clearly has no respect for the show amazes me more.

He’s like a horrible house guest that never leaves and then walks around like he owns the place. I wouldn’t be surprised if he tried to wipe his dick on the curtains at some point … metaphorically speaking.

May 4, 2012 6:39 pm

MIB, that was this week, I was listening as well, he said he sounded like a Baseball PA Announcer! I shoulda kept track of how many times he started a sentence with ‘let me tell you’ tonight, seriously, I bet his wife slaps the crap out of him nightly, least i hope she does!

Sam
Sam
May 4, 2012 6:47 pm

Jim Lang would be an upgrade to Shannon.

alex
alex
May 4, 2012 8:41 pm

I agree with Bob on one thing: Tim was much better today than that day he was on Keenan.

I made this point this week about the football thing. I think in 10-15 years, there will be a dip in the quality and quantity of NFL-caliber players, as elite athletes begin to drift from football to perceived ‘safer’ sports like baseball and basketball (and even futbol). You also have the fact that baseball and basketball have guaranteed contracts as part of the decision that will be made by parents about the future of their children if they are elite athletes.

Syn
Syn
May 4, 2012 8:43 pm

Sam, don’t get crazy now.

dsscpu
dsscpu
May 4, 2012 9:16 pm

Anyone notice this is the second straight day that Bobcat has brought up Watters on his show. Now that he isn’t really doing anything for 640 I guess he is free game.

May 4, 2012 9:17 pm

The show already has enough know it all, over the hill morons, don’t need another!

May 4, 2012 9:20 pm

I don’t dislike them at all but after hearing them on the air for 3 hours on their own show it’s not my first choice to have one of them on the PTS roundtable an hour later……………..I like hearing a couple of fresh voices on the roundtable instead of four people employed by Rogers……………having said that, I really enjoyed Brunt this week and I am not looking forward to him being in Europe and Newfoundland all summer

May 4, 2012 9:30 pm

“Is McCown smitten with Sam and Ted or is he trying to raise their profile by having them on his show so often ???”
I think he genuinely likes both of them (Tim more it looks like) I think they kid of make him feel younger, he like’s the majority of Tim’s opinions and I think he just laughs at Sid, lol.

dsscpu
dsscpu
May 4, 2012 9:33 pm

I am sure it is a bit of both. One would think that he wants to raise their profile (its good for the station, draws a better lead-in, some already suggest they could eventually be in line for his job one day although I personally would prefer Blair whenever that day comes) and I would think the station wants them on PTS (so listeners get to know them and perhaps will want to tune into them). I also think it may have been, who do we have to sit in the spot this week at the roundtable and so they asked one of them to stick around. I for one find it more effective when they have them sit in for the first segment of PTS.

dsscpu
dsscpu
May 4, 2012 9:36 pm

Also, don’t forget that Tim and Sid skew a younger demographic than Bob does. By having them stick around for the first segment or having one sit in on the roundtable, its possible that some younger listeners will stick around who don’t already and listen to PTS.

Alex
Alex
May 4, 2012 10:24 pm

Id certainly rather have sid or tim be the fourth person on the roundtable than another hockey guy (kyproes, maclean, mcsorley, keenan).

The exception to that would be Marek, who is asmart guy and could probably have an interwsting debate with bob about hockey violence or brunt about boxing vs mma.

May 5, 2012 2:27 am

When Chuck Swirsky and Greg Brady did 1 – 4 you never heard them do McCown’s show once. Not on the roundtable or on the crossover.

My guess – McCown didn’t love Swirsky (many seemed not to) and was irritated by Brady’s attacks on him when he was at 640 (frankly – understandable in my opinion).

But it genuinely seems like McCown likes Tim and Sid. I think if McCown likes you, you do the show. If not, you don’t (see Krystal doing the show, Wilner never doing the show etc)

Steve
Steve
May 5, 2012 8:07 am

As someone who never listened to Brady on 640, would love to hear what the themes of Brady’s shots at McCown were. Thanks

BECKS
BECKS
May 5, 2012 10:40 am

@ Alex, the pro athletes of today already suck compared to the pro greats of yesteryear.

Nobody had better chemistry on PTS with Bobcat than Bill Watters. The FAN should bring back Watters asap.

I’m ok with Sam & Ted moving to the FAN morning show…somebody…anybody….other than Greg Brady who i absolutely can not stand to listen to.

It’s 2012, the radio industry needs to get their collective acts together and create a radio ratings system that is internet based where millions of potential listeners in the GTA can go online register and vote as to which shows and stations they are listening to. The current radio ratings system that polls 20-200 listeners out of potentially millions is just beyond laughable.

Mr TSM, myself and others have asked you in the past why can’t you correct the ongoing issues this site has with slow surfing from page to page and also with pages freezing? Please get it fixed thank you in advance.

Mike
Mike
May 5, 2012 12:11 pm

@BECKS

I agree with you Bill Watters would be a good fit reunited with Bob McCown on PTS. Lord knows at least Watters is more interesting as a character on the radio then that clown John Shannon… I wonder if at some point Sportsnet Executive Producer of Hockey Scott Morrison and Sportsnet 590 The Fan PD Don Kollins will just get fed up with John Shannon and cut him loose?

I’m still thinking Jeff Blair is a better host in the 9-12 slot then Scott MacArthur over on TSN. Blair knows his baseball through and through. Another question do you guys think the Fan will re shuffle its weeknight lineup ? I mean are Rob Wong, Stormin Norman Rumack, George Rustic, Roger Lajoie and Jeff Sammut really a match for the crew over at TSN Radio 1050 in that same time slot in Mike Hogan and Jim Tatti?

Kamlesh
Kamlesh
May 5, 2012 12:53 pm

Maybe Shannon is smarter than everyone else. Perhaps he wasn’t fired all those times, but wanted to spend more time with his family.

Tim was better on PTS and he was especially good on his own show yesterday. At one point calling Sid a “donkey” and later ending a discussion of Carmelo Anthony and Phil Jackson with “Bam! You’ve just been Zen-Mastered” Bwahahaha….

dsscpu
dsscpu
May 5, 2012 1:02 pm

I really can’t see a change coming to the 7pm-5:30am shifts on either CJCL or CHUM. Hogan and Tatti run TSN Radio until its able to get to ESPN overnight programming and I am sure they are fine with that since the duo actually seems to work. Plus, once Leafs rights come in the fall (and not Raptors rights like Dowbiggin suggested in his msot recent article, since the Raptors radio rights have a few more years on them) TSN Radio will need even less of them during the week. Of course, they will need a post-game show, but if that will be MLSE produced or TSN/Sportsnet produced remains to be seen.

As for The Fan, yes there are a lot of guys on different nights but unlike TSN Radio, Sportsnet Radio is live 24/7. So they need different people to fill in different nights. I much prefer that that the alternative, which is either Fox Sports Radio (remember they tried that and it didn’t last more than 2 weeks) or ‘Best of Fan programming’ which was often countless loops of PTS in the overnight hours.

As Former P.D. Nelson Millman once said when he was a guest on Doug Farraway’s show, “we can’t afford the Cadillac of sports radio anymore.”

alex
alex
May 5, 2012 3:38 pm

For those who dislike Brady in the morning, you should hear him when he’s on the BBC. Wacky pronunciations galore.

He got amazing stick this morning for saying “West Bromwich Albion” as it is spelled. (“West Brommich” is how its generally said there)

May 5, 2012 4:16 pm

@Steve – Brady and Watters used to talk about McCown’s show all the time. I didn’t listen much (thanks to interviews with Florida Panthers 4th liners in July etc … it was way too hockeycentric for me), but I seem to remember on this website there was a lot of talk about Brady’s constant shots at PTS. Many someone here can remember specifics. Mike S?

I remember a few months ago, Brady said something about how McCown was asked to do a daily crossover on Brady’s show (when Brady was on in afternoons), and Bob refused. Greg then laughed and pointed out how McCown used to drop in on the Gameplan without being asked all the time.

I have no inside knowledge, but listening to the shows, I get the feeling there’s a bit of animosity there tracing back to the 640 days.

Kamlesh
Kamlesh
May 5, 2012 5:25 pm

I love it when Brady tries to show off on the BBC. A few weeks ago he dropped “Annus mirabilis” into the conversation. Hey Greg, you’re on Fighting Talk not Melvyn Bragg’s In Our Time(which is the second best radio show in the world after TSN’s The LAW: Live Audio Wrestling).

I waiting for Brady to spice up his talk with Lang and Farwell with “annus mirabilis”. Also, I wish they would let Farwell talk more; and when he’s away the show suffers. More Farwell!

alex
alex
May 6, 2012 6:35 pm

From what he said either on FT or on Kicking Off Friday night, Colin Murray was in Toronto this week watching some baseball. I would have loved to have heard him talk futbol and Jays with Blair.

May 6, 2012 6:48 pm

When my friend Daniel asks for help I am happy to oblige…………here is what I remember:

Yes it is true that Brady and Wilbur talked quite a bit about McCown (and others at 590) on their 640 show…………..I would categorize it more as poking fun than “taking shots”…………..it was never really personal and it was usually accurate…………for example, they would poke fun at McCown for his inaccurate “scoops” and the fact that he doesn’t follow sports as closely as other sports radio hosts……………it should also be pointed out that Brady said at least once on the air at 640 that he has a ton of respect for McCown and that he is a legend

Even though the things they said were mostly accurate I always thought that it was a bit of a strange strategy (if it was indeed a strategy) for them to talk about their competition so often……………..it doesn’t happen very often with other sports radio hosts……………..Brady and Wilbur had a good show which was a very good alternative to McCown so in my opinion it wasn’t really necessary for them to talk negatively about the people at 590 as often as they did, even if it was all in good fun

Ami Angelwings
May 6, 2012 7:42 pm

Is it just me or does Wilner not like or at least, not think highly, of Richard Griffin? He tried to be diplomatic on Jays Talk but it was pretty obvious he didn’t think much of his opinions. Same with Zahn a day later when a caller brought him up. Wilner basically said it was nice to hear Zahn say anything positive about the Jays.

It is interesting that Sam and Ted are on PTS so much, especially on the roundtable. They were pushing Krystal HARD before, and even though he showed up occasionally towards the end in the 4pm hour, he never showed up on the roundtable, and it seemed like if it was a producer decision, they would have had him on, so maybe it is because Bob chooses who shows up?

Does anybody have better insight into how they pick who gets on the roundtable? I know Shannon is a staple on it, but is it just who’s free to do it? Who volunteers to do it? Do people get paid for doing it? Do they have a list in order where they have people they prefer to have and then at the bottom they have people they call if nobody else can make it?

Also whatever happened to Gord Kirke? He used to be on pretty much every roundtable (or every other) but I think he’s been on once in the last year, and that was when Bob wasn’t on. Did he have a falling out with Bob? Or is he just too busy lately, or did the powers that be decide that he wasn’t suited for the roundtable?

Alex
Alex
May 6, 2012 8:01 pm

I wonder if the PTS producers would do a Q & A with TSM.

Related Q: did their twtiitter account disappear?

May 6, 2012 8:19 pm

I was always under the impression that external people (ie: non-Rogers people) get paid to do the PTS roundtable, but I have no idea how much……………….I assume the Rogers people like Shannon, Sam, Ted, Grange, etc do not get paid to be on the roundtable

May 6, 2012 8:25 pm

I know non employees of Rogers get 50$ per segment, not sure about round table!

Kamlesh
Kamlesh
May 6, 2012 8:36 pm

There is no need for Wilner to take any MSM member seriously. Wilner’s sabermetric mind is the matador for MSM bull.

The brilliant McCown knows his job is job is to deliver ears to advertisers. I’m sure he chooses guests for that ultimate goal, using his 30+ years of experience and the ratings as guides to his choices. Of course this doesn’t guarantee you get people who know what their talking about. I guess Brunt’s nonsense appeals to some people. As Eminem says on the Law’s intro for Dave Meltzer, “Back by popular demand!”

I wonder if Gord Kirke also represents some TSN talent and since the advent of TSN radio feels it would be wrong to do a 590 show?

May 6, 2012 9:35 pm

Kirke was the original FOB. What a useless guest.

In other news, Scott Ferguson does a daily half hour segment with Hayes and it’s actually not too bad, but Ferguson needs to develop some kind of critical backbone. This week I listened to him call Lawrie one of the best third basemen next to Longoria, claim that Rasmus can hit whatever he wants because his defense is just that good, and provide a justification for every single move Farrell has made. He’s apparently never been to Wrigley, which is a bit odd for a baseball expert, and also he doesn’t watch the late games.