Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

By Rob Gregg

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with guest host Jeff Blair. John Shannon co-hosts from 5pm:

400 – Ron McLean, HNIC
500 – Ken Rosenthal, Fox Sports
520 – Chan Gailey, Buffalo Bills head coach
600 – Glenn Healy, HNIC
620 – Pierre Houde, Montreal Canadiens broadcaster
640 – Alex Anthopoulos, Jays GM

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybuski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

TBA

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Mikkel Boedker, Phoenix Coyotes
Alex Ponikarovsky, NJ Devils
Mitch Williams, MLB Analyst
Gary Payton, NBA Legend

Tonight on Sportsline:

Does the Capitals resilience give them the advantage in their game 7 showdown against the Rangers? Have you had enough of John Tortorella’s attitude with the media? Will Steve Nash become a NY Knick and does Ron MacLean owe an apology for his 9/11 – hockey player comparisons? Join Bubba & special guest Eric Gage tonight at 7 on CHCH

alex
alex
May 10, 2012 9:34 pm

I think Ron may have made things worse by his “explanation” on Prime Time than his initial comments.

Sam
Sam
May 10, 2012 10:00 pm

I thought Ron explained himself well… its just that his trying to be too clever lit the match… and the images were threw gas on that fire…

Its like comparing someone or something to Hitler… that’s not a comedy bit for public consumption.

Another Steve
Another Steve
May 11, 2012 12:52 am

I like what Sam and Ted had to say on the theme of McLean: that the media reaction is much more interesting than what McLean had to say.

My two cents – McLean tried to compare people he admires (hockey players) to other heroic characters. It was a real stretch, but let’s be honest: he just went overboard in his praise of the hockey players. It’s not as if he praised Bin Laden, which, had he done that, would have been a real story. As it stands, it’s just a story about a guy who usually writes sophomoric poetry about hockey who went too far in a comparison. Must be a slow news day.

Gerry
Gerry
May 11, 2012 7:13 am

I just don’t understand why Ron even went there with the comparison. The fact his explanation on the Fan took about 4 times longer than the clip itself speaks volumes to me.

Seems to me Ron has just gotten extremely comfortable and perhaps too cocky with the freedom CBC allows him. I guess when you have sat beside Cherry for all these years and watched what he has gotten away with, you start to feel that your show is untouchable.

I used to really like Ron’s work, but over the past years, I have just found many of his “poetic workings” over the top and way too much of a stretch. I often listen to these intros and cringe at the metaphors he uses.

Perhaps some humble pie was digested with the uproar over this most recent faux pas.

itchy butt
itchy butt
May 11, 2012 7:47 am

My issue isn’t with the political aspect. I don’t care about that. My problem is more with McLean’s ability to yammer on and on and say nothing. I’ve always thought he was a lousy broadcaster and an even worse interview. When he was interviewed about his book last year (?) it was the most boring, self centered interview I’d ever heard.

He’s lucky he has a “job for life” with the Mother corp.

Brad
Brad
May 11, 2012 7:55 am

Did anyone hear the first caller after Maclean’s interview w Jeff Blair?
Caller is DEMANDING an apology from Ron Maclean. Caller lost family members on 9/11.
Maclean’s COMMON SENSE went right out the window. And his attempt at an explanation was even worse.

itchy butt
itchy butt
May 11, 2012 8:26 am

Yep I heard it. McLean’s arrogance probably made that poor guy even madder.

alex
alex
May 11, 2012 9:04 am

I just wanted to yell at ron,

“Remember the third plane?”

Roger
Roger
May 11, 2012 9:17 am

Too much is being made about this. I’m no fan of MacLean (aka. Cherry’s house boy) but the only issue I have with his comments was that it lacked originality. We’ve heard commentators many times use that tired analogy of “athletes as warriors/soldiers in battle”.

Don Mandrie
Don Mandrie
May 11, 2012 9:40 am

If you hadnt noticed before, you have, no doubt, by now. HNIC is the Ron MacLean show. And nobody has the stones to tell him he’s actually not the boss.

Ami Angelwings
May 11, 2012 6:45 pm

This was bound to happen with HNIC needing to have these narrations before games and needing to find a way to tie the cities together as if viewers need some reason to watch playoff hockey and we’d be lost without CBC creating some opening narrative for us. MacLean obviously thought “hmmm what can tie Washington and New York together?” and his brain hit on 9/11. It’s just too bad nobody thought about it a second time and went “um, Ron, that’s probably not a good idea.”

It’s like mentioning Hitler in a context that has nothing to do with World War 2… nothing good can come of it. Even if Ron meant the greatest respect ever, it’s still not a good idea to mention 9/11 and sports (or 9/11 outside of anything that isn’t about 9/11.)

Sea Bass
Sea Bass
May 11, 2012 7:30 pm

It doesn’t help that he works for the CBC, the biggest anti-american, pro-islamic network this side of Al Jazeera

Another Steve
Another Steve
May 11, 2012 9:07 pm

It’s curious how some people argue that CBC is a biased left-wing organization and then offer up the right-wingers on HNIC as proof of its left-wing bias.

Ami Angelwings
May 12, 2012 1:30 am

Except that if anything, his comment was an attempt to praise Americans at 9/11 (it just came off poorly) and the American cities involved. So I don’t understand how this could be “anti-American” much less “pro-Islamic”.

itchy butt
itchy butt
May 12, 2012 9:43 am

LOL on the “anti American- Pro Islamic” comment.

Why is someone instantly “pro-Islamic” if they are anti-American?

Also, how do you make this regarding his comments? x(

itchy butt
itchy butt
May 12, 2012 9:43 am

ooops missed the word “connection”….regarding his comments

Reel E
Reel E
May 12, 2012 10:17 am

I’ve been coming to this website for quite a while now, but a lot less so recently.
There’s a reason for that. Its been hijacked by a small group of people who can find very little good to say about the topic the site is focussed on. Let’s just look at today’s entries , shall we. I’ll start with Alex. Two comments Old Boy, and two words for you. Who cares? Sam put in his two cents, and got change back. Another two cents (literally) from Another Steve. He actually shows some intelligence, which is generally lacking here. Mind you, I’ve read some of his other entries and believe today was more an exception than the norm. Gerry then brings in the obligatory anti-CBC reference. Ron has too much freedom because of the bad old Corp. Grow up. If you don’t know what you’re talking about, shut the fuck up. EVERYBODY has the freedom you referenced. This has nothing to do with the CBC.
And then we come to the poster boy for Asswipes, Itchy Butt. Let’s not even comment on his idiocy. It’s as obvious as his biases. I will say he’s incredibly uninformed in his belief MacLean has a “job for life” at the Mother Corp. Take a look at the job cuts there over the past few years. Brad I actually did hear the caller you referred to and I thought Blair handled the call well. I also thought the caller was bogus, especially the part where he brought up the watch. Don Mandrie? Clever! Ami, God Bless You, you’re a breath of fresh air. I get the sense you, more than anyone else here, actually respects the profession. You’re not always negative. I don’t always agree with you, but I respect your opinion because it isn’t malicious. Sea Bass, the next commenter after Ami, proves my point. A comment so stupid, so utterly groundless, it defies belief. Another Steve, and Ami again round out the comments with some thoughts that, though pretty simple, are actually the most thoughtful in the whole thread.
Look, the ability to comment on what’s said on The Fan (and TSN radio too by the way…they are on the air and you can occasionally mention them) is great. As a matter of fact, there are other shows than PTS. Oh there’s the occasional Brady & Lang mention, and every once in a while, Sim & Tid. There are other shows you know. Today there was no mention of John Shannon. It seems to me there is always a mention of him, never a positive one, but still…Stop hammering Shannon. You don’t like him. Duly noted. So far as I know, you don’t have to bring it up every day

Ami Angelwings
May 12, 2012 11:18 pm

@Itchy Butt “Why is someone instantly “pro-Islamic” if they are anti-American? ”

because you’re either with us or you’re against us.

>_>