Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

By Rob Gregg

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with guest host Jeff Blair.

400 – phones
500 – Roundtable with John Shannon, Michael Grange & Sid Seixeiro

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

TBA

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Luc Robitaille, NHL Legend
Olaf Kolzig, Washington Capitals Associate Goal Coach
Olympian Adam Van Koeverden and his mother Beata

Tonight on Sportsline:

Does signing Vladimir Guerrero send the wrong message to the Blue Jays? Who should be blamed for the Bulls collapse against the Sixers? Why is the NHL waiting for the Rangers & Capitals series to end before starting the west final and should the Red Sox punish Josh Beckett for golfing while resting an injury? Join Hebsy & Bubba tonight at 7, on CHCH.

Bob
Bob
May 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Rain Delay! Greg Zaun is the only baseball voice in Toronto worth listening to. Two words of advice Greg, never give up your honest opinions and stop letting Don Cherry pick out your clothes.

Alex
Alex
May 11, 2012 8:58 pm

Enjoyed thw roundtable.

I think we knew Shannon would defend Ron, but id have love to heard TV producer Shannon in the truck when that fell like a lead balloom.

A litle disappointed we diidnt a chance to hear blair and sid talk some footy.

Mike
Mike
May 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Overall was a decent round table tonight…. always good to hear Sid Seixiero and Michael Grange contribute to the PTS Roundtable…. Blair is good to… the first hour was awesome with all the baseball talk!

Anyone else liking how Humble & Fred seem to be Friday regulars on Brady & Lang In The Morning? I think its awesome……

Ami Angelwings
May 12, 2012 1:28 am

To me, Shannon was really annoying today about the Ron Maclean thing. We get that he’s your friend, but nobody is attacking him as a person. I’m getting tired of Shannon acting like any criticism of his friends (Ron, Gary Bettman, etc) is a personal attack on them and he needs to talk about all the wonderful amazing things they’ve done. Nobody is saying Ron is a bad person, or that this incident reveals some horrible personality trait of his, or that everything he did in the past is wiped out. They’re criticizing this SINGLE thing he’s done, and I don’t see why his past factors in. As Grange points out, he gets fame and money out of all the good things he’s done in the past, so it’s not like he needs to be praised every day on every show (Shannon was complaining about why nobody ever talks about the good things he did… but it’s assumed that he’s doing a good job if he continues to be employed and gets ratings, and people enjoy HNIC.) It’s just so annoying to have Shannon throw in all this personal stuff when this isn’t personal.

Also Shannon talking about how Don and Ron have helped promote and grow the game was weird because not only is it irrelevant, he’s doing the thing Brunt’s talked about before, that hockey is religion in Canada and there’s this idea that we need to preach the word to the heathens. And again, it’s so irrelevant. Ron made a mistake, nobody is saying he’s a terrible person, just what he said struck a nerve with people. “Sure, he insulted the memory of your loved ones but he’s spent 30 years of his life growing the game of hockey!” is hardly something that would change how the people offended took his statement.

itchy butt
itchy butt
May 12, 2012 7:23 am

That’s such a hockey puckhead thing to say. “Growing the game of hockey”? WTF does that even mean?

Please explain why the quality of play has gone to shit? Why the mentality of most hockey people is laughed at? Why hockey parents are so boorish?

Kinda wish Bob was around for this nonsense.

Drum&Anchor
Drum&Anchor
May 12, 2012 9:30 am

Never thought I would say something like this online, but Itchy Butt is right on.

No other sport other than hockey keeps changing the way the game is played with every team climbing on board to mimic what is seen as successful. Hence, with all the goalie screening and “getting people to the net”, I just don’t watch.

Reminds me of the game just before the last lockout.

alex
alex
May 12, 2012 12:56 pm

Isn’t it true that in every sport, teams try and mimic what is successful?

Also, the NFL also tinkers with its game almost every year, but not sweeping changes, but just enough to keep scoring right where they want it.

Darrell
Darrell
May 12, 2012 2:25 pm

@ Itchy Butt – I find it hilarious and agree with you about your post above.

I personally find it irritating when on Hockey Night in Canada Scott Oake interviews a player during the intermission. Let’s say that player’s team is losing and idiot Oake will ask, “What do you have to do differently going into the second period?” Um score goals perhaps, Scott and prevent your opponent from scoring more goals? Anyways – let’s play along… Scott would ask that and then the player always says, “Well we got to get the puck to the net and play our game and then good things will happen!”

I don’t get that hockey cliche statement either?

itchy butt
itchy butt
May 12, 2012 2:45 pm

@Darrell:

Our backs are against the wall, ya know, we gotta give it 110% ya know, we gotta come back tough, ya know, get the puck in their zone, we gotta charge the net more, ya know, take more shots.

Best answer ever to a stupid question after Dave Kingman killed the Dodgers in a game…..

Reporter: What did you think of Kingman’s performance today?

Tommy Lasorda: What did I think…. what the **** do you think? He *****ing killed us! What the **** kind of stupid question is that?

Darrell
Darrell
May 12, 2012 10:41 pm

Scott Oake is a huge waste on CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada. Oake should just fly away. Scott Russell should’ve stuck around with Hockey Night in Canada.

Also while he maybe considered an “icon” – I am hoping that Bob Cole is not brought back next season. I am in my mid 30’s and Bob Cole is the face of Hockey Night in Canada for me growing up, but I think the game has gone too fast for him.

Alex
May 13, 2012 12:18 pm

I hope Brunt or Blair can convey to Bobcat that today (Sunday) is why people love footy and it’s not always boring and non-scoring.

May 13, 2012 6:42 pm

Bill Watters has indicated on Twitter that he becomes an “unrestricted free agent” on August 1 because his contract with 640 is ending……………I wonder what will happen with him?……………….it would be interesting to see him end up as an occasional co-host (or even a roundtable guest) on PTS after competing with that show for many years

(Another) Andrew
(Another) Andrew
May 13, 2012 7:55 pm

Brunt maybe, but Blair strikes me as a poseur when it comes to soccer. He wants to be seen to like it but I’ve never heard him demonstrate any knowledge on the subject.

The idea of soccer

It is days like this that make me glad to have spent my childhood in Europe. As corporatized and homogenized (ie Americanized) as soccer has become in recent years it still has something, who knows what, but something intangible, that the American sports leagues can never dream of replicating.

BTW if I’m not mistaken Brunt is actually in England – didn’t somebody say that last week? – so he might be able to give an interesting report.

Alex
Alex
May 13, 2012 8:02 pm

I dont think Blair is a poseur if he is a Charlton Athletic fan.

Brunt was at white hart lane today, which i thought was an odd place to be, of all the places he could have been.

Ami Angelwings
May 14, 2012 1:19 am

Is there a blog/forum whatever where people discuss Jays Talk? I’m curious what people say about each edition. :3

May 14, 2012 2:17 am

Mike S – interesting. I’ve never been a huge Watters guy, but I’d definitely take him over Shannon (if that was an option).

May 14, 2012 6:56 am

Mike S — you’re probably going to get both Watters and Shannon … let that soak in.

Darrell
Darrell
May 14, 2012 7:41 am

@ Mike in Boston – Ha, ha, ha! I just let Watters & Shannon soak in! Don’t give Sportsnet any ideas. I can’t imagine them on the FAN on Prime Time Sports but can you imagine them together with Daren Millard or Jeff Marek during Hockey Central before a Leafs game or something?

Darrell
Darrell
May 14, 2012 10:12 am

One other example that I actually just heard today with Jeff Blair. Jeff Blair was interviewing Jordan Eberle and he was asked about Dion Phaneuf as a teammate. Eberle replied, “Dion leads by example…”

Am I the only one that thinks that sports cliche statement makes no sense because you are not really answering the question and you could just be throwing that statement out – instead of saying on Toronto radio that your captain stinks.

Another Steve
Another Steve
May 14, 2012 11:53 am

Ami, try the “drunk jays fans” blog – it often has some interesting takes on the Jays talk.

William
William
May 14, 2012 12:08 pm

I can’t see Wateers as a good fit on PTS. It was embarassing on his own show every time he tried to talk about a sport other than hockey. And PTS is not strickly a hockey show — in fact, it’s usually very well balanced.

Ami Angelwings