Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

By Rob Gregg

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown. John Shannon co-hosts from 5pm:

400 – Phones
500 – Ken Rosenthal, Fox Sports
520 – Nick Kypreos, Sportsnet
600 – Scotty Bowman, Senior Advisor, Chicago Black Hawks
620 – Rob Becker, legal analyst
640 – Michael Hiestand, USA Today

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybuski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

TBA

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Dmitry Chesnokov, Yahoo! Hockey Writer
Panel featuring former NHL players Jim Thomson, Mark Osborne, Steve Ludzik and TSN’s Alyonka Larionov.

Tonight on Sportsline:

Can the Blue Jays afford to have Adam Lind as an everyday player at first? Was the Lakers 29 point loss to the Thunder a prelude of things to come? Will Martin Brodeur have to out play Henrik Lundqvist for the Devils to beat the Rangers and do Canadians care about the World Hockey Championship in Europe? Join Hebsy & Bubbs tonight at 7, on CHCH.

Go West
Go West
May 15, 2012 5:52 pm

This site is a real disappointment. The guy who runs it lives in Seattle, so shouldn’t it be seasportsmedia on Twitter, not YYZ?
The same people, the same complaints. It’s very disappointing, and really boring

alex
alex
May 15, 2012 9:34 pm

Is bob the only person that seems to care about thr clemens trial?

Ami Angelwings
May 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Bob is the only one who cares about the steroid stuff in general (of the people who show up on FAN590) in general I think. He’s taken a toned down opinion because I think he doesn’t like everybody arguing with him and he doesn’t want to seem unreasonable, or caring too much, but it’s clearly something that bothers him a lot and the Clemens trial is just another thing in the entire situation.

May 15, 2012 10:43 pm

MAN DO I HATE LISTENING TO MIKE WILNER!!!

Tonight’s game with the Blue Jays and Rays was a 1 run game. Yes Toronto lost! Yes it was a bad call against Lawrie. But freakon’ heck Wilner – they didn’t lose the game because of the umpire’s bad call. What about the half a dozen errors they made the last 2 games? What about the horrible hitting that’s going on?

Wilner went a bit further tonight to say that if Brett Lawrie was Derek Jeter that the bad call wouldn’t be called against Derek Jeter. What a douche bag Wilner is! How is everything he says – like a “poor me” and that the Yankees get calls always for them? I am a Yankees fan and I can think of times where Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez and other stars have had the calls against them.

Mike Wilner is the WORST homer in Toronto sports media. Everything in Jays land is perfect, there are no mistakes or things they need to improve on and how dare you ever say that there is an area that they need to improve on. Way to go, FAN 590! 😛

Daver
Daver
May 15, 2012 11:24 pm

Were we listening to the same show Darrell? Wilner didn’t blame the loss solely on the umpires, open your ears dude.

Daver
Daver
May 15, 2012 11:25 pm

Darrell: Hates listening to Mike Wilner….. still tunes into Blue Jays Talk. Makes sense…..

May 15, 2012 11:29 pm

I wanted to hear other fans takes on the Lawrie play. I try as best as I can to tune Wilner out altogether. I didn’t say Wilner blamed the loss on the umpire. All I was saying was that he was an idiot for saying that if Brett Lawrie was Derek Jeter – Jeter would not have had the Lawrie type play tonight against him!

Daver
Daver
May 16, 2012 12:09 am

You’re ignorant if you really believe that. Take off your Yankee glasses.

Ami Angelwings
May 16, 2012 1:51 am

If Mike Wilner occasionally sounds as if he really wants the Jays to win, I think it’s not because he’s a “homer” but because when they lose, he gets the “end of the world” callers, or the callers who state that a player “always” does something they’ve only done recently, and etc etc and I think those callers really get to him, especially since their arguments often don’t make any sense and those calls are the ones that aggravate him most. I can understand him wanting the Jays to do well, or to put a positive spin on things just to ward off those kinds of calls. He must be reaching for the Advil before every Jays Talk after a loss, especially during a spell like right now.

Ami Angelwings
May 16, 2012 1:56 am

“Yes Toronto lost! Yes it was a bad call against Lawrie. But freakon’ heck Wilner – they didn’t lose the game because of the umpire’s bad call. What about the half a dozen errors they made the last 2 games? What about the horrible hitting that’s going on?”

Darrell, I think it was that part from what you said that implied to people that you believed Wilner thought that the umpire cost the Jays the game.

Ami Angelwings
May 16, 2012 2:00 am

I don’t think there’s anything unreasonable about listening to Jays Talk even if you hate Mike Wilner. Aside from the host, these types of shows are also about the fans calling in, and the opinions and attitudes of the fans. There isn’t another option to Jays Talk to get that sort of feedback on the radio, and you can’t help who the host is, so it doesn’t seem weird to me that somebody would listen to Jays Talk even if they dislike Wilner.

I’m not a big fan of Andy Frost, but I still listen to Leafs Talk occasionally just to hear what the fans are saying (and I find angry upset fans hilarious), Frost is just the ones fielding the calls.

It is interesting though how much of a personality Mike Wilner is on the Jays Talk and how he sort of overshadows the whole show more than most hosts that take post-game calls. Sometimes the episodes turn into basically the “Mike Wilner referendum show” where it’s just about whether callers agree with him or disagree with him.

itchy butt
itchy butt
May 16, 2012 6:57 am

People need to realize that all local sports play by play is slanted towards the home team. It has to be. They are emplyed by the team! I think we are blessed with some pretty darn good baseball coverage. If you’ve heard other teams play by play (MLB At Bat app allows you to hear games from every market) you’ll see that not only are Jerry, Alan and Mike not as “homer” as you think, but are damn good broadcasters. As excited as they get, they don’t scream like little girls like some guys do.

And I’ll say it again for the hundreth time……I love it when Wilner shuts up the typical “why don’t we trade Lawrie, Lind, Alvarez, Rasmus and Romero for Prince Fielder” moronic phone calls. If you follow his Twitter feed, Wilner has enough bad things to say about the Jays when needed. Last night he was all over them.

William
William
May 16, 2012 1:01 pm

Just do what I did — I started turning off the radio five years every time I heard Mike Wilner’s voice. Life has been much better since then.

May 16, 2012 1:02 pm

LOL – I will try and start doing that. I already spend a longer time in the shower in the mornings to avoid listening to Greg Brady in the mornings.

May 17, 2012 12:29 am

Funny thing is that I can’t figure out which hiring over the last 10 years at the FAN was the most stupid? Mike Wilner vs. Greg Brady vs. Andrew Krystal.

Ami Angelwings
May 17, 2012 2:20 am

Krystal. He’s the one who bombed out.

Did you pick the 10 year time frame just so you could include Wilner? o_O

Ami Angelwings
May 17, 2012 2:21 am

Why do you hate Wilner so much by the way?

I’m not trying to put you on the defensive, I really want to know. As I said previously, I’m really curious to hear what people think of each Jays Talk, and Mike Wilner.

May 17, 2012 2:32 am

So you live in Toronto, but you’re a Yankees fan? Yuck.

Maybe you’ve got a history with the team, but it always rubs me the wrong way when people root for a team that always wins over their home town (ie Lakers over Raptors etc)..

May 17, 2012 2:34 am

Wilner definitely isn’t negative on the Jays, but he’s also not a homer.

I think some don’t like him because he’s kind of an anti sports radio host in some ways. Don’t get worked up, don’t overreact, stay rational, look at the stats.

May 17, 2012 7:54 am

@ Daniel – I used to be a Jays fan until the end of the `92 season. From `93 on – I liked the Yankees. I don’t remember one specific reason why but if you recall back in the early 90’s – the Yankees were not the huge spenders they are now. As we got to `94, `95 and then `96 – George Steinbrenner was almost cut throat and didn’t care what roster moves he made and signings he made – as long as at the end of the day his team won. I am a Leafs fan and it was refreshing to see the difference as the Yankees would always get their guy while the Leafs would constantly drop the ball. Also at the start of the 1993 season – for some reason I just didn’t think that the 1993 team was half as good as the `92 team.

@ Ami – Why do I hate Wilner? First off – no I don’t “hate” Wilner, I just “don’t like” Wilner. I can totally accept that he is a Jays fan and loves his team – just like anyone else. If I sit here and honestly think about the reasons I don’t like Wilner – it is a variety of things. I can still recall when Riccardi was GM back in 2001 and how he came in and slashed payroll and was going to be “Mr. Moneyball”. It was a clear sign that Toronto was going to rebuild and I can still recall Wilner praising how smart a move it was trading Paul Quantrill for Chad Ricketts and Luke Prokopec. LOL! I can still remember him kissing up so much to Riccardi after trading Alex Gonzalez for Felix Heredia. Mike Wilner, ever since he came on the FAN airwaves makes excuses for Rogers being cheapskates. I could talk for days about the things I don’t like about Wilner but the team has not won in 20 years and it took like the jaws of life to try and get him to admit that yes Riccardi did say that he could turn the Jays into a playoff team in 5 years of his arrival. Most fans I know can honestly sit and assess the team and say things like, “Wow my team played great tonight!” Or they can say things like, “Man my team stunk tonight!” I can say flip back and forth between my love and hatred for my Yankees. If the Jays were and are as good as Wilner thinks – they’d have a few championships. They haven’t had a sniff of a playoff spot since `93. Yet since `93 – every team currently in the AL East has won a title except Toronto. Blue Jay fans just whine and complain (led by Wilner) because their team stinks and cannot get over the hump (beating New York and Boston) where Tampa has proven that theory to bits. Wilner would constantly say that if the Jays were in _______ (insert division name not named AL East) that they’d be in a playoff spot. The 2008 season where Tampa took the division by storm – it was like September of `08 before Wilner got the stones to admit that yes Tampa is a good team and Toronto isn’t. He kept saying that Tampa would fall back to the bottom of the pack. Stop whining and stop making excuses for this franchise – you can’t change what it is and just get on with it. Blue Jay fans and management would blame New York and Boston on their inadequacies. I’ll leave it there – but I could name more reasons why I don’t like Wilner but I will leave it there for now.

I have lived in Toronto, my entire life. For what it’s worth – Toronto is starving for a playoff team. If the Blue Jays were to beat my Yankees this season for a playoff spot and went on a run and won a title – that’d be awesome for the city. Between the Leafs, Raptors, Jays, Argos and FC – sports in Toronto stink.

May 17, 2012 7:57 am

FYI yes I did say – I “HATE LISTENING TO MIKE WILNER” but no I don’t hate the physical person. My life goes on and don’t hate radio personalities I will probably never meet.

May 17, 2012 11:41 am

As for my distaste of Greg Brady – he just always talks about Detroit sports teams in a Toronto market and last time I checked the Detroit Tigers, Detroit Red Wings and Detroit Lions are not in the Toronto market. I tune into the FAN to listen about Toronto sports teams; if I wanted to hear about Detroit sports teams I can check it out online. With Greg Brady – I don’t hate the guy but he is hardly entertaining sports radio. If the FAN really wants the morning show to stink replace Jim Lang with free agent Bill Watters. Look how great Brady & Watters were over at AM 640?

I used to listen to the morning show when it was Gord Stellick and Don Landry and even prior to that with Don Landry & Pat Marsden. With Brady on the air, I use that time when I wake up to have a shower, get dressed and get breakfast and then start listening to the FAN at 9 AM.

Ami Angelwings
May 17, 2012 4:41 pm

I meant why do you hate Wilner in the professional sense, in terms of how he does his job, not as a person. Obviously we’re just talking about people doing their jobs. 🙂 When I say I hate Shannon, I mean on the radio, I have no idea how he is as a person. So I’m sorry if you thought I was implying you hate him a human being or something.

Anyways, thanks for the answer. 🙂

May 17, 2012 9:57 pm

Way to go Wilner – you prove my point again within the first five minutes of Jays Talk tonight.

He starts the show asking callers, “Are the Blue Jays contenders now that they beat the Yankees in a sweep?” AHHH HELLO???? It’s 2 games out of 18 against New York. Yes New York didn’t have a great game last night but holy cow it was like 2-1 to the 8’th.

Gosh I cannot stand that guy – but have to listen tonight as it is my Yankees they played against.

Ami Angelwings
May 18, 2012 4:39 am

I think Wilner was being tongue-in-cheek. If a couple losses means that the Jays now suck, a couple wins must mean that they now rock, is kinda what he’s getting at.

May 18, 2012 11:28 pm

I just find it irritating that every single player that has come to the Blue Jays since 2001 has been a “great move” by the Blue Jays. I can still remember when that idiot Riccardi traded Paul Quantrill for Chad Ricketts and Luke Prokopec and Wilner bragging about how trading Quantrill was a great move and how Prokopec would do amazing in Toronto.

I could totally live and accept Wilner’s homerisms and love for the Blue Jays – if it wasn’t for the fact that he can’t see that while yes the Blue Jays are doing very well right now and clicking on all cylinders – this team is NOT as it currently sits constructed a lock for a playoff run. There are still some issues in starting pitching, relief and 1B/LF. But the way Wilner brags and goes on and on and on about Player A to Y of the 25 man roster – you would think the Blue Jays have won every single year.

James
James
May 19, 2012 11:48 am

Darrel the issue with that is it isn’t Wilners actual stance, it’s a straw man version of him you have constructed probably unintentionally by recalling only his comments that support it.

Wilner is a huge fan of AAs moves yes, but if he wasn’t that would make him the only outlier among the NA baseball media – who pretty much unanimously hold AA in the highest regard.

On a daily basis however regarding gameplay Wilner is both critical and fair, he doles out praise and critique regularly.

You also seem to have confused sarcasm, tongue-in-cheek comments, etc that are the natural result of talking directly with fans on a daily basis with his normal persona and opinions.

If you don’t hear him criticizing the jays gameplay then you aren’t listening with a fair mind. And he has joined the rest of the baseball media in criticizing AA for the few things worthy of it, namely not signing a big free agent or going hard for darvish in the off season….even though these are hardly “mistakes” and more a subjective difference of opinion/strategy. Clearly not mistakes like many of his trading partners (Wells deal anyone?) have made. And if they clearly made mistakes in deals with AA what does that say about those deals from a Jays perspective? Yeah…

May 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Most of the AA moves – I applaud and agree with. I actually like that they were apparently in on the Darvish sweepstakes and depending on who you hear they were in on the Prince Fielder sweepstakes?

There are flaws on this team; but they are a young team. I am not even a Jays fan and this season is the first time I can honestly see improvement with this roster. Mike Wilner just keeps praising every last positional player – like this is the `92 or `93 World Series teams.

I don’t really want to keep going around the mulberry bush talking about Wilner, but all I will say is that I am not a fan of the guy even remotely and I think the FAN could do a lot better than Mike Wilner. But that’s just my two cents.