Colin Cowherd Rips NHL Writers- Is He Right?

By TSM

The last time we talked about Colin Cowherd he was ripping Canada and the olympics. I don’t listen to the guy at all anymore. In my humble opinion he fails in comparison to other national hosts and just isn’t my cup of tea. I prefer either of the Tonys, Kornheiser or Bruno or Dan Patrick. In any event, Cowherd changed his target this time to those who cover hockey, thanks to the fine folks over at awful announcing for this:

“You’re getting a lot of young, cheap people covering hockey and it’s not like newspapers send their best people to hockey.”

“Fox News doesn’t send Bill O’Reilly to a speed bump proposal in his hometown… hockey doesn’t get the cream of the crop in our business.”

“The guy covering the Florida Panthers, he was at a floral show early in the week.”

Now Cowherd is referring to those who cover the game south of the border I am sure. So let’s leave the find scribes in Canada out of this.

Guys like Cowherd tend to think of themselves as shockjocks. They say things like this to get a reaction. The question is why bother. I can’t imagine too many people who listen to his show are hockey fans. Why would hockey fans waste their time tuning in? General sports fans, or those dedicated to those sports which Cowherd spends a lot of time on would wonder why the hell he was talking about hockey at all, let alone those who cover the sport. If the sport is so insignificant not to talk about it, then why spend time covering those who cover it? Seems odd doesn’t it.

Perhaps the answer is that he just plain ran out of things to talk about. Think that could be it?

Or is it just that he mocks that which he doesn’t understand.

It’s a funny thing when a media member attacks his fellow media members for no real reason. One has to wonder what exactly his motivations are.

alex
alex
May 22, 2012 1:28 am

I loathe him and think people are better off ignoring him and his ilk (bayless, sas, ….).

As for the premise, i think its generally true in non hockey us markets. But not in boston, philly, detroit, etc.

Listen to last weeks marek vs wyshynski for a good discussion of the topic.

Another Steve
Another Steve
May 22, 2012 10:29 am

It’s May 22nd – hockey is so April or March.

Ami Angelwings
May 22, 2012 3:36 pm

I don’t know Cowherd so this isn’t an opinion on him but I thought this was generally true isn’t it? But like for a lot of sports in general, not necessarily just hockey, that more and more newspapers can’t afford to have a beat reporter following the teams anymore, and that’s why teams are the ones hiring reporters now, just so that somebody is reporting on them.

I mean it’s probably more true of small cities than major ones, but I thought that was the way the business has been heading. Cowherd seems to be trying to dress it up as this major thing he just discovered and is revealing to us as a travesty.

AP
AP
May 22, 2012 9:03 pm

I don’t see the issue here. His premise is probably true. And this story is just as relevant to a football fan who might learn he shouldn’t read about the Stanley Cup Final in his local paper. What we really have here is Canadian media getting their shorts in a knot everytime someone says anything disparaging about hockey.

Omar
Omar
May 23, 2012 2:31 pm

You may not like his comments; but for anyone who has spent anytime living in the States, they are completely accurrate.

Ken
Ken
May 23, 2012 4:26 pm

His comments seem 100% correct to me, what’s the issue here? Seems more like you are trying to create controvesy where none exists, not him.

RJ
RJ
May 23, 2012 9:52 pm

In the USA, young inexperienced guys cover hockey. In Canada, insufferable blowhards cover hockey. Give me the former any day.

RJ
RJ
May 23, 2012 9:53 pm

Please ask me for examples….please!!!!!

Jeff
Jeff
May 24, 2012 10:08 am

I turn off the ESPN radio when Cowherd’s program starts. I have found that he has a very limited sports knowledge – football and some basketball. He thinks that he can just talk his way through issues by being a loudmouth. So generally whatever he says I just ignore.