Toronto Sports Media Morning Drive Lineups

By TSM

Here’s your drive lineup for your listening enjoyment this am:

On 590 with Greg Brady and Jim Lang:

8 :30 Matt Devlin
8:45 Jonas Siegel

photo from here

Brent
Brent
June 6, 2012 9:46 am

What in the holy hell is wrong with Greg “I know gay people” Brady? I hate changing the station – I like the guests, I like sports radio, I don’t like this douche clown. Justifies my iPod getting a workout lately.

I find his non-sports opinions are getting more and more vitriolic. The bottom-of-the-barrel news-related humour is embarrassing. The best part of it is to hear the awkwardness in his co-hosts voice when he says shit they won’t touch.

I’m surprised he doesn’t go whole hog and start hurling the word “nigger” around because someone else said it.

And for fuck’s sakes: take a breath, and get through a sentence.

Roger
Roger
June 6, 2012 3:50 pm

Brady can be annoying at times but I agreed with his takes on Lebron’s post game comments and Adnan Virk’s geographically challenged statement about Argentina’s chances in the EURO Cup.

Another Steve
Another Steve
June 6, 2012 4:02 pm

What did he say this morning? I missed it.

I waver on Brady. I’ve gone through periods where he gets on my nerves and then suddenly in the past few weeks I have found myself laughing at some of the things he has said.

He did used to bug me with his phoney moral outrage about Tiger Woods, but that has obviously cooled down lately. [Sorry Greg, but divorce and infidelity are not crimes, and other people’s marriages are none of our business – unless you have no belief in the right to privacy, that is.]

Julian
Julian
June 6, 2012 4:13 pm

Is this where this website’s gone now? Allowing a commenter to post the n-word on here without accountability or reprimand, and going so far as to suggest that a local radio host (like him or not) would be more than willing to use the word for either shock value or to make a point? Strikes me as a strong legal case were the host, Brady in this case, to even care what an anonymous person says about him who is already obviously a devoted listener.

80 percent of people who post on here don’t slur, don’t name-call, don’t slander, but then there’s the other 20 percent (a much higher number than ever before) who are remarkably coarse, rude, and critical people, again, hiding behind a screen name willing to allege this, that, and the other thing about someone they listen to (seemingly daily) on the radio. Yeah, your “IPod got a workout” but you listened for at least 15-20 minutes straight today to this host whom you despise.

If this website’s serious about media and the likes and the dislikes and the good shows and the bad shows, it would never allow the N-WORD to sit there in a comments section as it sits right now. Come now, TSM, does it stay if it’s the female C-word? Does it stay if it’s a slur against Jewish people?

A little cleansing never hurts anyone once in a while. It’s overdue here. You won’t show bikinis anymore (I didn’t care for it myself) but racial slurs are just fine?

itchy butt
itchy butt
June 6, 2012 7:32 pm

Well, I think you are taking his use of the word out of context. He wasn’t using it in a profane way. He was using it as an example of what he thought an idiot broadcaster might say.

Having said that it might have not been the best example to use.

June 7, 2012 4:44 am

Julian – I can understand your frustration and it certainly wouldn’t be out of place to put a filter on for certain words, but we’ve all been on the internet long enough to know that we’re going to read things that we find offensive. Once a website starts moderating comments then it’s a full time job for someone, or comments wait in purgatory until they are approved and this stifles good conversation. As long as people aren’t using racial epithets to insult people then i’d rather live with it rather than the alternative.

We’ve been pretty lucky here, in my opinion. The regular commenters bring really good insights, and even the venters are usually pretty entertaining. We’ve had a few trolls and instigators over the years but these people are largely ignored. Part of the problem is that comments have waned recently but hopefully readership will improve and bring some fresh voices to the fold.

Poker Guy
Poker Guy
June 7, 2012 11:42 am

Focusing more on Julian’s specific comment, rather than his wording. The Greg Brady Experiece continues to mystify. I have not tuned into the FAN morning show for a short while because I don’t like listening to Greg Brady. So when I saw the comment yesterday, I just shook my head, and am wondering how long until Kollins at the FAN makes a switch. Perhaps Farwell would be better suited for that role. Lang, well, he can continue his role. His presence is barely felt.