Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

By Rob Gregg

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown:
Roundtable with:

Dave The Blanket Perkins
Stephen Brunt
John Mr. McGoo Shannon

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski:
TBD

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:
Theo Fleury, Former NHL Player
Devon White and Kelly Gruber, Retired Blue Jays
Noel Butler, TSN Soccer Analyst

Tonight on Sportsline:
Has the loss of “I’ll Have Another” drained interest in the Belmont Stakes? Does Lebron James need to duplicate his game 6 performance in game 7 between the Heat & Celtics to earn legendary status?
Was Jacques Villeneuve out of line by speaking against student protestors at the Canadian GP in Montreal and does Henderson Alvarez belong in the Blue Jays starting rotation?

Join Hebsy & Bubbs, tonight at 7 on CHCH

Ami Angelwings
June 8, 2012 8:59 pm

When a caller told Bob before that Encarnacion couldn’t play 1st, Bob said he was okay at 1st and just couldn’t throw from 3rd. Shannon in another show mentioned Encarnacion at 1st and Bob called him a stone finger and shouldn’t be at 1st. Then today he said that Encarnacion is fine at 1st.

I wish he’d make up his mind xD

dsscpu
dsscpu
June 9, 2012 6:04 am

If you go back and listen to Bob over the years, there is a pattern there where he flip flops a lot on player evaluations, but he does it in such a subtle way – usually by laying off the guy for a bit – that most casual listeners don’t catch on.

BECKS
BECKS
June 9, 2012 10:50 am

The FAN590 really needs to find a better host for Jays talk after the games already. Mike Wilner is arrogant and annoying and despite the fact that he has hosted Jays talk for years he comes off to me as sounding like a know nothing hack. Wilner is a dud for a talk show host who is utterly non entertaining. Jamie Campbell & Gregg Zaun should be the hosts for Jays Talk they would be a huge significant upgrade over Wilner. I also heard Wilner take a shot at McCown the other night before i turned him off so don’t expect to hear Wilner on PTS anytime soon. lol

dsscpu
dsscpu
June 9, 2012 11:42 am

Campbell and Zaun doing Jays talk on CJCL is a pipe dream. Why you ask? 1. They are needed for pregame, ingame and postgame coverage including filming segments to air on Connected. They can’t host and do that. 2. Whoever does Jays Talk needs to listen to the radio broadcast, something Campbell and Zaun can’t do since they need to listen to the TV broadcast. So unless you are simulcasting the feed on TV and Radio, it wont work. 3. Your basically asking both guys to take a step back/down from what they are currently doing. Now, with that all said, it doesn’t mean Rogers can’t go out and find a combo similar to Campbell/Zaun that could do Jays talk. Maybe giving Wilner a partner in a former player who has some cache with the Toronto audience would be the way to go.

Another Steve
Another Steve
June 9, 2012 1:15 pm

The sad thing about Wilner not being on PTS is that he actually does research on other sports before he appears on the show. Go back and listen to some of his few appearances on the roundtables – Wilner has enough respect for what he is doing that he’ll learn about the themes that are likely to arise.

It’s sadly been a long time since McCown has had enough respect for his job to do the same thing. Instead he seems to be more interested in taking shots at people who take two weeks off to care for their new-born. (The perfect response from Tim to Bob this week would have been: “You didn’t take any time off at all? Well, maybe that explains all the divorces….”)

Mike
Mike
June 9, 2012 4:29 pm

Former Jays Relief Pitcher Turned Author Dick Hayhurst tweeted the other day that he and Sam Cosentino from Sportsnet are going to be hosting a MLB noon hour show in the summer… 12-1 while Hockeycentral is on hiatus… so there will be another option to Mike Wilner come July 3rd on Sportsnet 590 The Fan…..

Another crappy roundtable last night with the usual garbage with McCown…. Dave Perkins and John “Mr. Know It All Mr. Magoo” Shannon…….

Cybulski & Company was a better option last night…..

Ami Angelwings
June 9, 2012 5:04 pm

I liked the roundtable yesterday 🙂 Bob, Brunt & Perkins always makes me happy. :] Wilner does research other sports, but I think more to the point, he doesn’t overreach. When he’s been on the roundtable with Blair, he stays quiet a lot on sports he knows nothing about, while say, Shannon doesn’t (Shannon should really stop doing this “I know everything” act when it comes to baseball >_> ). Also, on the roundtable, Wilner doesn’t argue with people the way he does on the phones. If Wilner knows you’re on the level as him rather than considering you just a fan/caller, he will be diplomatic or at least listen, like he does w/ Brunt and Blair when they take the “we need to make a big movie, the fans are unhappy” tactic.

alex
alex
June 9, 2012 8:29 pm

Apropos of nothing this week:

I asked Marek if once hockey was over if he might be doing friday roundtables, but he said he would likely be doing olympic prep stuff instead.

June 10, 2012 6:28 am

i wonder if anything can be read into the fact that Wilner hosted the baseball show two years back and is not being given that opportunity this time around. it’s possible he’s going to get a chance to do the Jays radio broadcasts and so they need him for that, or it’s possible he’s going to be replaced on JaysTalk by either Cosentino or Hayhurst. Or neither, i suppose.

i just listened to the segment of PTS with Bob and Tim&Sid re: Tim’s leave to be with his wife and newborn. Bob came off as quite the Neanderthal there. Had to laugh at Tim saying that “some people on Twitter” had been calling Bob a douchebag and Bob snapping back with “have they left their mother’s basements?” That’s some very 21st century comedy right there Bob.

Darrell
Darrell
June 10, 2012 12:48 pm

Gregg Zaun & Jamie Campbell, would be a HUGE upgrade over Wilner to host Jays Talk.

June 10, 2012 1:49 pm

“i wonder if anything can be read into the fact that Wilner hosted the baseball show two years back and is not being given that opportunity this time around”

Reasonable guess, but I have a feeling it has more to do with the fact that Sportsnet has more baseball hosts these days. I recall when Wilner hosted it a couple years ago, he regularly mentioned in his blog that he was basically being worked to the bone, doing a double shift like that. The show suffered for it too, I think.

Considering he’s doing a decent number of games on play by play, I think if anything he’s received a quasi promotion.

Zaun and Campbell would be cool for Jays talk, but I think that’s fairly unrealistic.

June 10, 2012 1:53 pm

That schedule is a bit absurd. 12 – 1, then 7 – 11, plus weekends?

Ami Angelwings
June 10, 2012 3:04 pm

Bob’s dismissal’s about internet critics always amuse me. We’re hardly at a time where people who use computers are geeks… everybody uses computers, everybody uses Twitter, everybody’s constantly texting. The “haha you must be a geek!” insult doesn’t make any sense at all xD

June 10, 2012 5:02 pm

I thought the Bob – Tim/Sid thing was basically just messing around. Making a show of it for the audience. I didn’t take it remotely seriously.

June 10, 2012 7:02 pm

Memo to John Shannon: when the Carolina Hurricanes won the Stanley Cup in 2006 they were not a number 6 seed…………….they had 112 points that year and were a number 2 seed

I guess Mr. Shannon wouldn’t want the facts to get in the way of a good story

Another Steve
Another Steve
June 10, 2012 9:00 pm

Wow, Mike S, I just looked that up and saw that Carolina was the 2nd seed, just as you wrote.

I heard Shannon say that as well on Friday and didn’t think anything, since I don’t follow hockey stats too closely. However, I do wonder how often the so-called experts on certain sports make mistakes in the hopes that nobody knows well enough to catch them. For example, yesterday I was driving home and heard a tennis expert on 590 say that Sharapova first won Wimbledon when she was 14 years old, which is crazy (she was 17).

Curt
Curt
June 10, 2012 9:42 pm

Bob obviously doesn’t watch sports anymore. Not that that’s important if you’re the host of Prime Time SPORTS…

itchy butt
itchy butt
June 11, 2012 6:57 am

I like Wilner more and more as each day passes. 🙂

Becks
Becks
June 11, 2012 8:46 am

@DSSCPU – all Campbell & Zaun have to do to host Jays Talk is walk down the freaking hall turn on a mic put on a set of headphones and start talking about the game to the fans so don’t try and make yourself sound like Mr Knowitall at Rogers because your out to lunch it’s not anymore complicated than that. And it’s not even debateable – Campbell & Zaun are a HUGE upgrade over Mr Nonentertaining. And no i didn’t ask you why it’s a pipe dream idiot.

Darrell
Darrell
June 11, 2012 8:50 am

Mike Wilner comes across as a professional wrestler… LOL! I am not a wrestling fan anymore as I think it’s way too sexual compared to the 80’s but that’s another story. Anyways whenever I hear Mike Wilner I can relate him to Hulk Hogan. He comes across as a guy with a huge swagger saying, “Do you know who I am? Do you know who you are talking to? I’m Mike Wilner and I work with your Toronto Blue Jays!” LOL! You are just some lug nut who pretends like he is a big shot who knows Riccardi, Anthopolous or Godfrey on a personal level.

June 11, 2012 10:54 am

Since Another Steve is a tennis fan he might get a chuckle out of this:

I was listening to 1050 at 7:00 PM yesterday………….Tatti was the host and he had a tennis “expert” on to talk about the French Open…………Tatti asked him where Sharapova ranks among the all-time greats now that she has won the career grand slam…………..the “expert” said that Graf should be considered the best female player ever but Sharapova should now be put in the same class as someone like Chris Evert………………..I was a bit puzzled by this comparison given the fact that Evert won 18 grand slams in her career and Sharapova has won 4

Another Steve
Another Steve
June 11, 2012 1:08 pm

Thanks, Mike S – those things always amuse me.

I know I’ve said this before, but it reminds me of last summer, just following Djokovic’s win at the US Open, when Greg Brady claimed that Djokovic would win more majors than Federer (Nole had 4 at the time – he now has 5 – and Roger has 16). Perhaps it was meant merely to provoke, but it struck me as such a ridiculous comment all the same.

Anyway, Brady’s silly thought in turn reminded of a comment from pro-player Tommy Haas, who, after losing a match to Federer many years ago, was asked when we could consider Roger the greatest of all time. At that point Federer had about 7 majors to his credit, so Haas simply replied: “When he wins more than 14 majors [Sampras’ total].”

Far too often people seem to have collective amnesia about sporting events and players from the past and instead think that the people who play today need to be greater or just as great as those who came before.

Another Steve
Another Steve
June 11, 2012 1:13 pm

Why is DSSCPU an idiot? Because he used a rhetorical question in making his point? Like I am doing right now?

Another Steve
Another Steve
June 11, 2012 1:14 pm

By the way, my previous comment was in reference to someone who called DSSCPU that name – I certainly am doing that myself. Hope there is no confusion there.