Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

By Rob Gregg

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown

400 – Dave Perkins, Toronto Star
420 – Ben Badler, Baseball America
500 – Roundtable – joining McCown are Stephen Brunt, Damien Cox, & John Shannon

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski.

TBA

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Jason DeVos, TSN Soccer Analyst
Panel featuring: Brendan Canning of Broken Social Scene, Bob Mackowycz and James Cybulski from TSN 1050’s Cybulski and Company and Olympian Adam Van Koeverden

Tonight on Sportsline:

What does John Farrell have to do to ignite the Blue Jays offence? Did the OKC Thunder blow a big opportunity at the NBA Finals after losing game 2 to the Heat? Should MLB punish Tigers closer Jose Valverde for throwing a spitball and should the Dallas Cowboys consider bringing back Terrell Owens? Join Hesby & Bubbs tonight at 7, on CHCH!

June 15, 2012 7:17 pm

happy weekend everyone. here’s today’s flashback Friday Bikini OTD:

Becks
Becks
June 15, 2012 9:01 pm

Absolutely brilliant!! Bob mentioned on PTS tonight that Bill Watters was his best co-host ever!! LMAO @ Cox & Shannon’s reaction!! Bob actually mentioned Watters a few times. Could this mean Uncle Wilbur will be returning to PTS? What’s funny is that Bob is right the best chemistry he ever had with a co-host by far was with Bill Watters and i hope they are reunited.

Ami Angelwings
June 16, 2012 4:05 am

That was a really bad roundtable. >_< The baseball talk was especially atrocious… and Brunt seems to have done a 180 on how he was leaning before the injuries (including that they shouldn't have opened the bank in the off season, and what he was saying previously that you need to give the fans something at some point). In the off season, Brunt was the ones saying that the Jays managed expectations terribly, and they need to take some responsibility for the fans expecting them to sign Fielder and Darvish, and Wilner was the one saying it's not the organization's fault the fans expected things. Now Brunt is saying that to Bob. o_O

Also, they never really did get to the main debating point Bob was trying to get to, which is that fans are scared the Jays are going to be mired in mediocrity forever because of an fear of making mistakes spending money. There was a lot of diversions and interruptions.

Cox and Shannon were pretty much at their worst today and Brunt seemed like he didn't want to be there and argue with either of them, especially during the Phoenix thing where Shannon kept insisting that Balsillie could have moved into Hamilton if he was just really nice and obedient.

Mike
Mike
June 16, 2012 12:40 pm

Bill Watters deal with Corus apparently expires August 1… So I have a funny feeling that Wilbur will be rejoining Sportsnet 590 The Fan as Bobcat’s co host… be a great upgrade for listeners….. if it means less or maybe none at all of John Shannon and Dave Perkins I’m all for it…..

time will tell….

looking forward to the launching of Baseball Today on July 4th with Sam Cosentino and Dick Hayhurst on Sportsnet 590 The Fan….

June 16, 2012 12:59 pm

do people share this sentiment?

I think we can all agree that listening to dogs bark would be an upgrade over Shannon, but i wonder if Watters would actually be a significant improvement for PTS. Bob’s old, somewhat lazy, and not very current in his sports knowledge and i don’t see Watters remedying any of those flaws very much. If anything he would likely exacerbate the problem in my opinion.

Maybe TSM can throw up a poll or something, because my memories of the response here during Watters’ last year on 640 was overwhelmingly negative. People talked a lot about how Brady basically ran that show, and Watters was out of touch and quasi-senile. I doubt he’s gotten any younger during his time off the radio.

Lee (Oakville)
Lee (Oakville)
June 16, 2012 2:01 pm

While I think Wilbur has a number of flaws, his honesty and intelligence make him a huge upgrade over Shannon and especially Cox. We will never get back to the heyday of PTS given Bob’s lack of attention and knowledge, but any change in co-hosts will make the listener experience more tolerable.

June 16, 2012 2:52 pm

Good points Mike.

Bob is at his best when he’s challenged by someone who knows what they’re talking about. Guys like Brunt or Grange (in my opinion).

I have a feeling that McCown/Watters would be very entertaining, and probably pretty funny. But their analysis of things might be exasperating.

Watters might work as Shannon’s replacement though. On the roundtables, and cohost only if Brunt/Cox isn’t there.

dsscpu
dsscpu
June 16, 2012 2:57 pm

I miss me my Bikini OTD

Ami Angelwings
June 16, 2012 4:19 pm

Do people think that TSN will make a run at Watters?

Now that I’ve listened to the whole round table:

I wish people would engage Bob and just reason with him when he talks about women rather than act like “GASP YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT WOMEN I’M BACKING OFF NOW” e_e

(Also if Bob is wondering he could always ask a female golfer.)

Given their chemistry (in my opinion) during the occasional 4pm hour they’ve been together, I kinda want to see Eric Smith tried as Bob’s alternate co-host. He’s younger, and so would be a counterpoint to Bob’s demographic, and he doesn’t interrupt or yell at Bob like Shannon and Cox respectively, and he’s pretty up on his general sports knowledge, and I’m sure he could become more so if that was his job. The only thing would be during the basketball season he’d be missing for away games.

Becks
Becks
June 16, 2012 7:41 pm

@ Mike in Boston…Bill Watters is not senile. Far from it. He is also far more entertaining and funny than Cox & Shannon and also gets better scoops on trades contracts and inside NHL goings on etc being a former NHL exec. After Watters show on 640 ended there was a thread on a Leafs forum and many Leafs fans agreed Watters may have been critical and told it like it was on the Leafs but he was entertaining and many said they missed his show afterall. And if you never heard PTS with Bob & Bill back in the day trust me their chemistry was excellent together. Doesn’t matter who is on PTS every co-host will have fans and non fans anyway. But for my entertainment kick Bob & Bill were my favs they were stellar on PTS i was pissed when Bill took the Leafs job and left they started it all they were the pioneers of Toronto Sports Radio Talk Shows which launched into all sports FAN590. I love the older guys like Bob and Bill and will never subscribe to the retarded and ignorant mentality that some people have that just because someone is getting up in years they should be put out to pasture. That’s BS! McCown & Watters on PTS FTW!!

June 16, 2012 9:31 pm

“That was a really bad roundtable. >_< The baseball talk was especially atrocious… "

You're right Ami. I'm a bit PTS fan. But hearing Cox and Shannon discuss baseball is basically worthless. No offense to them, but the knowledge just isn't there.

I think it's just one of the quirks of this market. Guys who only know hockey get a lot of hosting/cohosting gigs. Great for hockey discussion, but painful for anything else.

I think one of the reasons why PTS is at its best with Brunt, Arthur, Friedman or Grange on is that those guys can hold their own on all 4 sports.

Mike
Mike
June 17, 2012 8:26 pm

Can we do without the same 20 minute segment on Phoenix every damn week? Euro’s are on (with over 1 million ppl watching weekend games, so there is interest), US Open golf, Wimbledon soon, hell even CFL is coming back and yet what do we get to listen to:

– Phoenix/Goldwater/Glendale arena location/relocation fees
– these mythical 4-6 franchises that are for sale
– a pointless circle jerk on the state of the Blue Jays that will never be satisfied since last summers free agency window is gone and Yu Darvish and Cecil’s son are not walking through that door

I know guys love nostalgia especially sports nostalgia but FFS lets talk about something new

Ami Angelwings
June 18, 2012 1:39 am

I do wish they’d talk about the Euros, but I would never want either Shannon or Cox near it. I think Bob could do a decent job with it with the right people. He is fairly good at moderating a roundtable on a sport he doesn’t care/know much about as long as it’s got the right personalities on it, and Bob does know more about soccer than he lets on (he also watches more soccer than he lets on, I suspect). But you need people who let others talk and don’t need to dominate a conversation they don’t know anything about, and neither Cox nor Shannon fit that bill.

I was really disappointed that with all of the stories going on in sports you could talk about: the US Open, the NBA Finals, Euro 2012, the Pacquiao fight, etc… we got 15 minutes of nothing (to start the show) then the rest of the first hour was Blue Jays, but not even how the Blue Jays are doing, a nostalgia dipping argument about whether or not Alex promised anything for this season and whether or not that’s part of his plan to lower the expectations on his job. e_e

Then the 2nd hour was Phoenix (which was nothing new at all) followed by what SHOULD be the NBA Finals but instead turned into whether or not you want the first 2 games on the road or at home…and the bullets briefly touched on a few things I wish they DID talk about.

Ami Angelwings
June 18, 2012 1:42 am

I tend to like the Phoenix talk, but the roundtable a few weeks ago with Grange, Bob, Brunt and Shannon pretty much covered the whole Phoenix situation really well, and until something else happens, I’d like for them to move on…

alex
alex
June 18, 2012 3:14 am

It could be worse.

I have a friend who hosts a show in washington and they spent a segment on the redskins’ kicker battle next year and did 0 segments on the euros.

Youd think soccer talk in mtinational dc wpuld work, but if its not a major sport, dont bother. Heck, they barely talk caps on.the radio there.

Roger
Roger
June 18, 2012 9:26 am

I still believe a more apt tile for PTS should be “Prime Time, Endless Baseball Talk”. I know, its a bit wordy but it seems discussion of the Jays’ trials and tribulations dominate the show each night.

At the end of the season, the Jays will still only be a .500 club with some prospects. That’s all they have been the past 19 years and its all they will be the next 19.

Becks
Becks
June 18, 2012 9:32 am

Euro Cup 2012 has been an outstanding tournament with not a single game ending in a 0-0 tie. Virtually every goal has been phenominal and England’s 3-2 come from behind win vs Sweden ranks right up there with one of the most exciting opening round games in memory.

Canadian Sports TV Ratings:

Euro Cup ratings are more than impressive once again and keep in mind these ratings are for the group stage games with the finals still to come…

NHL

SA-OKC (g6), June 6, TSN: 256, 000
MIA-BOS (g6), June 7, TSN: 335, 000
BOS-MIA (g7), June 9, TSN: 417, 000

Roger
Roger
June 18, 2012 9:59 am

Also, if TSN was available to basic cable subscribers, Euro Cup ratings would be even higher.

becks
becks
June 18, 2012 10:12 am

Good point Roger and that’s why they call them ROBBERS.

dsscpu
dsscpu
June 19, 2012 12:52 pm

I didn’t realize the morning show was cancelled on Sportsnet TV until the roundtable brought it up…