Nice To See Experts Take A Stand

By TSM

The one nice thing about being at work when the NHL draft begins is that I won’t have to listen to Pierre Mcguire as the picks are made.

Other than that it will be twitter coverage for me, as I rely on those I follow to provide updates.

Has anyone else noticed that so many of the so called experts are going bold and taking stances on what teams should do, that is who they should pick.

It’s a nice change.

On so many occasions those we follow critisize the picks or moves our teams make, but only after the fact. I am not talking about mock drafts, which to me are as useless as the non ink they are written on. I’m speaking about the so called experts coming out and saying this team should or shouldn’t pick this player.

We all know the draft is a total crap shoot. It’s so easy to sit back after the fact and say so and so GM blew it. I have much more respect for those in the media who call the shots, opening themselves to the same type of criticism.

I am not sure how interesting draft day will be. Personally, I don’t know the players so I have to listen to the experts.

It is a made for twitter event in my eyes and you will find me there.

Not sure if you follow the morning news shows south of the border at all, I’m talking CBS, ABC and NBC, relax they are all available in Toronto. Anyways, NBC’s Today show has been a huge winner for years. Until recently when ABC has been starting to kick some but. Rumor is that Ann Curry is going to get replaced on Today, taking the fall. Mrs. TSM watches the show religiously and I have to say what a farce that is. The reason ABC is winning is due to the fact the show is much improved and Today is totally stale. A shame that Ann Curry is going to take the blame.

There, now you can yell at me for talking non sports media.

Steve in Waterloo
Steve in Waterloo
June 21, 2012 10:26 am

In most cases, I like when someone takes a stand and poised to defend their position.

However, when it comes to the draft, there are VERY VERY few media personnel that could consider themselves an expert in their knowledge – both detailed and wide breadth -of the emerging 18 year old hockey generation.

I have to think that those who are watching hockey games in the outer regions in November and cold Feb nights are the ones who’s opinion I would respect the most.

Another Steve
Another Steve
June 21, 2012 11:33 am

My vote for best morning-TV show is “Troy and Abed in the Morning.” Yes, that’s just a cheap reference to “Community.” 🙂

Becks
Becks
June 21, 2012 11:37 am

Just hours to go now and the excitement continues to build as Leafs Nation awaits their new teenaged draft hero. Does the Leafs blowhard GM Brian Burke have any 1st round picks this year? I think he does…lol…anyways so best of luck to Leafs Nation the teams draft history has historically been a joke so it should be a dandy on TSN Friday night.

Roger
Roger
June 21, 2012 1:22 pm

Burke has been a disaster as GM for the Leafs. He has been the final nail in the coffin for me as a Leaf fan.

The moronic comments, his pretension and his general arrogance is only matched by his lousy performance as GM. Time to can him and hire a real hockey man – not a politician.

Al in Burlington
Al in Burlington
June 21, 2012 1:59 pm

Roger is right, Burke is a joke, and an embarrassment to the team. What decent Free Agent would want to come here and play for him and a has been coach? Not to mention the overpaid stiffs already on the team. Sad.

Derrick
Derrick
June 21, 2012 2:13 pm

I would have to say, which I will now say, is that the best T.V. show, which is shown on television, is “Ya Heard? With Perd!”, with Pawnee’s own Perd Hapley.

This is not a morning show, but a show which can be viewed outside of the morning hours, which may not be relevant to a discussion about morning shows.

That is my opinion, which I have shared.

itchy butt
itchy butt
June 21, 2012 2:51 pm

“Not sure if you noticed but apparently regular PTS guest Darren Rovell is on the move. Rumors are around that he is leaving the NBC/CNBC family for either ESPN or ABC. Stay tuned.”

Don’t let the door hit yer ass on the way out!

alex
alex
June 21, 2012 5:38 pm

If rovell goes to espn, we can look forward to him on cybulskis show instead of pts.

:eyeroll:

Mike
Mike
June 21, 2012 7:29 pm

Hockeycentral At Noon is doing a 1hr preview show of the draft tomorrow on Sportsnet 590 The Fan. Guest Host Jeff Marek and Sam Cosentino are doing it. That should be just about enough interest for me. TSN will kill the draft to death with the usual over analysis from the NHL lapdogs Darren Dreger, Bob McKenzie and “Mr Squeaky” Marc Crawford…..

You can bet Brian Burke will do nothing tomorrow then send out a press release via MLSE saying how he had a ton of deals on the table but didnt want to meet the cost…

Ami Angelwings
June 22, 2012 3:07 am

How often do really cool things happen at the draft? >_>

Steve-O
June 22, 2012 8:58 am

Rovell gives me the impression of a guy who is trying to be smarter than he actually is. Also comes across as arrogant too. An example of his attempted brilliance was on the day that Webb Simpson was leading the last round of the U.S. Open.

Rovell’s brilliant tweet (paraphrased) was “On the anniversary of OJ Simpson’s car chase, will another Simpson “do it”… Lame