Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by Rob Gregg

Unfortunately for Raptor fans, Steve Nash ended up with the Lakers in a sign and trade deal yesterday. I like Doug Smith’s take on it in the Star today – no pity parties, time to move on.

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown:

400 – Phones
500 – Rob Becker, legal analyst
520 – Doug Smith, Toronto Star
540 – Jay Grossman, player agent
600 – Stan Kasten, LA Dodgers President
620 – Alan Ashby, Jays pbp voice
640 – Nigel Reed and Bob Iarusci, Sportsnet soccer analyst

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

Simmons and Feschuk in studio
James Hinchcliffe, IZOD Indy Car driver
Scott Milanovich, Argos coach
Brian Cooper, Sports Business Analyst

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Chael Sonnen and his mother Claudia, UFC headliner
Dave Feschuk and Steve Simmons, Columnists

Tonight on Sportsline:

Does Steve Nash deserve to be booed after he selected the Lakers over the Raptors? Will the ‘plan b’ acquisition of Kyle Lowry help the Raptors? Should the Blue Jays trade Edwin Encarnacion at the trade deadline and can anyone stop Serena Williams from winning a 5th title at Wimbledon? Join Hebsy & Bubbs, tonight at 7 on CHCH.

Mike
Mike
July 5, 2012 6:46 pm

Did anyone see Sportsnet Connected w/Hazel Mae tonight??? pretty good insight into the whole STEVE NASH story by Michael Grange and Tim Micallef. Was awesome to see Tim Micallef get used more on the tv side of things…..

July 5, 2012 7:01 pm

Tim and Sid said to McCown that they had some kind of arrangement with The Score, where they couldn’t appear on TV on Sportsnet for some undisclosed amount of time.

I wondered if Tim and Sid would start to be used on TV once that was up.

Darren
Darren
July 5, 2012 7:26 pm

Is anyone else getting tired of Buck Martinez and Pat Tabler as Jays announcers? For me I would rather have Ashby on TV full time.

itchy butt
itchy butt
July 5, 2012 8:53 pm

I watch it on tv but listen to Jerry and Alan.

Darren
Darren
July 5, 2012 8:55 pm

Out of sync real bad for me or I would as well.

kyle
kyle
July 5, 2012 10:22 pm

the only reason that I don’t want Alan Ashby on TV is that I’d miss him on the radio – I listen much more than I watch. He and Jerry have a good thing going.

And I agree with Darren – the delay is large (already queuing up the next pitch on radio when they are showing the last pitch on TV); only good for tuning in to see big play described on radio.

alex
alex
July 5, 2012 10:47 pm

IF you have the MLB package (not sure if it’s available in Canada), there’s an option where you can watch the TV broadcast but listen to the radio call.

Ami Angelwings
July 5, 2012 11:39 pm

Bob did a clever bit of history re-writing today. He’s claiming that the heat he took about Landry Fields is because he said he’s “just a guy” when what he said was “he’ll never get off the bench.”

He framed his position to Doug Smith as believing Fields wasn’t a superstar and “maybe he’ll start a bit” which is much different than “he’ll never get off the bench” and then framed his critics as expecting Fields to be the second coming. >_>

Also, in general, Bob seemed pretty upset about the state of the Raptors today and trying to downplay everything about them. He also seemed confused about what a sign and trade is. He acted as if Nash wasn’t a free agent, and Phoenix HAD to trade him. The draft picks to the Suns, was to give them a reason why they should send Nash to the Lakers so the Lakers could afford him under the cap, but it’s not that the Suns controlled where he could go. Bob asking if the Raptors could have made that trade is confusing, if Nash wanted to go to the Raptors, he could have gone.

Also, Smith never clarified to Bob that Landry being a “smart player” meant he was smart on the court and made good decisions, not just that he had a high IQ or something.

I was very disappointed by that segment.

Same with the first Tim segment on Tim and Sid. :\ Honestly, I feel bad for Landry Fields, everybody already hates him simply b/c they see him as a crappy player signed to get Nash, and not a player to be added to the roster by his own merits. I mean, he can probably fix that by being a great player, but he’s coming in with baggage that isn’t his fault but the fan perception of why the Raptors signed him.

Curt
Curt
July 6, 2012 1:17 pm

@Darren, yes Buck is truly awful. Not only does he make constant mistakes (see Buckblunders.com), but he’s always selling this team. I can live with mistakes – it’s actually kind of funny in it’s own way, but the constant shilling on virtually every play does my head in. I’m already watching the game, I don’t need to be “sold” on the Jays, about how much “potential” they have. Just call the game and try to be even a little bit objective (Ashby is great at that). I’m in Calgary, so we don’t get many Jays games on the radio unfortunately. I have little choice but to listen to Buck and Tabby and their hard sell.