Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by Rob Gregg

Would this year’s U.S Olympic basketball team beat the original Dream Team. I have my doubts, but Kobe Bryant believes so.

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown. Damien Cox co-hosts from 5pm:

400 – Stephen Brunt, Sportsnet
420 – Bob Elliot, Toronto Sun
520 – Jonathan Paley, director of the baseball film, Ballplayer: Pelotero
540 – Don Taylor, Sportsnet
600 – Alex Anthopoulos, GM, Blue Jays
620 – Christian Laettner, former NBA player
640 – Simon Whitfield, Canadian Olympian

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

Simon Whitfield, Olympic Flag Bearer
Alex Anthopoulos, Blue Jays GM
Lester Munson, ESPN Legal Analyst
Scott Milanovich, Argos Head Coach

LIVE From NHLPA Smashfest
Jason Spezza
Steve Stamkos
Eric Lindros
Vincent Lecavalier

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

OTR at the ESPYs, featuring interviews with Brian Wilson, Mike Modano and Willa Ford, Jose Bautista, Donald Driver, Anderson Silva, Danica Patrick, Dustin Brown and Dustin Penner, The Gronkowskis (Rob, Dan, Chris),Jon Jones and his brother Arthur Jones (Ravens DE), Vince Young, George Wilson, LaDanian Tomlinson, and Jason Pierre-Paul

Tonight on Sportsline:

Have the Blue Jays scored good value with their contract extension for Edwin Encarnacion? What should the Blue Jays offer Arizona for available outfielder Justin Upton? After losing their opening two games, are ‘in-house’ issues hounding the Hamilton Tiger Cats and is the current U-S mens Olympic basketball team better than the 1992 Dream Team? Join Hebsy & Bubbs, tonight at 7 on CHCH.

July 12, 2012 5:11 pm

And Bob does it again, in talking with Bob Elliot he claims that Halladay left the Jays to get his ring and got it. Seriously, it would be funny for someone to just give a list day 2 day of all the mistakes he makes on just basic and general sports knowledge!

Julian
Julian
July 12, 2012 5:30 pm

I think it was Stephen Brunt he said this to, but yeah, that’s unbelievable. Big difference between winning a World Series and not. Halladay’s been gone two years, that’s it. It’s not even like the Phillies have EVEN MADE the World Series yet with Halladay on the team.

I actually think the McCown/Cherry comparisons have some validity to them. It’s a tradition and you get used to it and he’s a brand-name. I’m not sure what will motivate Bob to get in and do the grind of the show 45 weeks a year in five years when he’s 65, but his ratings, and same with the whole station, seem to be flying high, so why work any harder.

My guess would be if they ask McCown to work harder, he simply walks. He won’t do it no matter what. I think the other 590 shows have remarkably well-prepared hosts whether you like their style or not. Tim, Sid, Brady, Blair, and even Jeff Sammit, seem well-organized and drive the pace of a show well and clearly are putting in the hours to not get caught making stupid factual mistakes.

Let’s face it, many people on this website a couple years ago wondered a lot how often guys like Don Landry and Chuck Swersky were watching sports and games (other than NBA for Chuck because he had to).

A show I always found totally bizarre and lacking in being prepared was Jack Armstrong and Doug MacLean. No one could convince me Armstrong watched any hockey, and MacLean any sport EXCEPT hockey, so that show was a waste of time except MacLean’s sarcasm is actually really funny to me.

I find the content on 590 to be really crisp and sharp lately, they seem in a good zone, and while I admittedly flip all over the place, I find I listen to 1050 much less than I ever did and they’re not even a full 18 months into their run on the air. That’s not a good sign at all, and as many point out, 590 only has to worry when people stop mentioning and bitching about their personalities on this board. Until then, they’ve got the market by the balls. And yes, they’re far from perfect, obviously.

Sam
Sam
July 12, 2012 5:46 pm

Julian said: “My guess would be if they ask McCown to work harder, he simply walks. He won’t do it no matter what.”

Couldn’t have said it better myself. McCown will stay as long as his ratings stay up and he has no impetus to work harder. Sure he’ll be on his game when an issue piques his interest but other than that, forget it. Honestly, I can’t say I’d be any different. Plus I’m sure McCown busted his ass for decades to get where he is.

I’m not saying its right, but I understand it.

July 12, 2012 5:53 pm

Your right Julian, it was Brunt he was talking about. And I agree, at his age and as much as he loves to golf it is understandable for his lack of interest. It was funny, I tweeted to BackStage PTS and said “could someone tell Bob that Halladay has never been in a World Series let alone win one”, they replied with, “you tell him”

Sam
Sam
July 12, 2012 6:04 pm

Tried to follow backstagepts and apparently I’ve been blocked… I recall maybe tweeting them once but don’t recall it being that bad? Ah well, prob better that I don’t have more tweets to read.

Julian
Julian
July 12, 2012 6:11 pm

“You tell him!” So funny. That about sums it up. Show’s on autopilot.

Curt
Curt
July 12, 2012 6:11 pm

So, honestly, what happens if they called Bob’s bluff. I assume the only realistic landing spot for him would be TSN radio – the place he rips all the time and isn’t on tv. Or he retires (though I doubt his ego would let him do that). So he goes to TSN and the FAN replaces him with a possible rotation of Marek, Sid, Friedman, Blair, etc. until they settle on the guy. Does the PTS audience really leave with Bob? I doubt it, but I can’t know for sure obviously. I’d probably follow PTS more often with any of those other guys. I guess the question is: is PTS and Bob one and the same, or is PTS a brand unto itself?

July 12, 2012 6:17 pm

I mistakenly tweeted Ryan Fabro mixing him and Walsh up and was blocked by him (LOL), can’t remember what exactly I said but was to the effect of ‘Isn’t it the Producers job to correct his mistakes by simply listening to the show’? Guess he didn’t like that, told me when I get my own job Producing Sports radio he would thn listen to my critic, until thn ‘GFMS’ LOLOLOLOL

Sam
Sam
July 12, 2012 6:23 pm

Haha Darren maybe they only want their buddies on there.

Why would 590 get rid of McCown… isn’t he kicking ass in ratings?

Curt – McCown is PTS, IMO.

Ami Angelwings
July 12, 2012 6:29 pm

πŸ™

I thought the backstage PTS ppl were cool! (But they like me, or did last time they tweeted me) But “you tell him” is pretty dismissive for something that’s factually true and you’re just trying to point out an error in the show. :\

I think as Bob gets older, he just needs more time off, and a co-host or active producers to help keep him sharp. πŸ™‚ I like Bob, I’m just getting concerned about how often he’s forgetting things. :\ I don’t attribute this as him not caring, I attribute this to him not remembering things.

July 12, 2012 6:29 pm

@ Sam, HAHA, maybe. The Backstage PTS acc puts out some pretty funny stuff on Twitter, Walsh as well. I find as I’m sure most people do that as long as you don’t swear or insult with vulgarity blocking is the last resort. Cox blocked me months ago, god only knows what I said to him, LOL.

Ami Angelwings
July 12, 2012 6:45 pm

The only person who’s ever had an issue w/ me is Greg Brady over the black face thing where he did the “I have black friends” line to me. -_o He asked on air for a non-white person to tweet him, I did, he got all pissy at me and I wasn’t rude or anything, I just had the opposite response of what he was hoping non-white people would say.

I regularly tweet Bruce Arthur & Mike Grange but I get the feeling that they think I’m a little weird b/c I act like such a fangirl about them. Sometimes they like my jokes sometimes I think they’re like “creepy blonde Asian girl wants to marry me” xD

Ami Angelwings
July 12, 2012 6:46 pm

Backstage PTS tweeted me once about how much they enjoyed me running down all of the Bob-isms on this blog, so they clearly read this blog. πŸ™‚

July 12, 2012 6:49 pm

OMG, Bob tells or says to Christian Laetner that Michael Jordan WASN’T in his Prime back in 92′!!! Are you serious? Then Laetner says ‘wait a minute, Michael was at the peak of his prime’

July 12, 2012 6:53 pm

@ Ami, I regularly go back an forth with Grange and Arthur quite often as well. Also Stephen Douglas who writes for the Biglead website, it is a fun way to pass the time away.

Lee (Oakville)
July 12, 2012 6:56 pm

The reason McCown doesn’t worry about show preparation, or the low quality of his co-hosts (Brunt excepted), or caring enough to watch sports is because he doesn’t have to worry about ratings. The opinions on this site are similar to those of Leafs fans – discontentment is outweighed by misplaced loyalty.

Ami Angelwings
July 12, 2012 7:05 pm

But I thought we keep being told that the people on this site don’t represent the majority of listeners xD

Stan
Stan
July 12, 2012 7:05 pm

Lee you are 100% correct. As long as Bob’s clones complain but keep listening to him to keep his ratings up, why should he be concerned?

Ami Angelwings
July 12, 2012 7:08 pm

This “you can’t criticize something you also enjoy listening to” thing is so bizarre o_o

TV fans do this all the time. This is no different. I like the show, I also like to discuss it on the website including the mistakes. :3

I also never listen, so I don’t really count anyways (I only listen to the podcast) XD

Sam
Sam
July 12, 2012 7:08 pm

Ami I’m guessing most of the listenership (if that’s a word) wouldn’t spend so much time reviewing and picking apart PTS.

Speaking of crazy people, they have a great oral history of WFAN over at grantland.com… highly recommend reading it. I thought of it just now because they talk about some of the famous callers they had, they were prob even crazier than the people on this site.

Lee (Oakville)
July 12, 2012 7:18 pm

Ami, this is where I differ with you – my time is too valuable and there are too many media options available for me to listen to a radio or TV show and then spend the next 4 hours critiquing it. I just turn the channel and eventually I will inevitably find something superior.

July 12, 2012 7:24 pm

Well you seem to be giving an opinion tonight on PTS?

Curt
Curt
July 12, 2012 7:25 pm

Did PTS even mention the sports story of the day (possibly year)? The Penn State Freeh report? Lots of questions to be asked there…

alex
alex
July 12, 2012 7:35 pm

As i said in the morning thread, i thought it was odd they didnt have becker or mccann on today. Mccann wrote a piece about the report on sicom today.

I think damian briefly alluded to it in the 5:00 segment.

Sometimes, it seems like pts is booked to discuss yesterdays news more than anyhing that might break during the day. Unless, its hockey and then thry just grab shannon or kypreos or one of the other people in the building.

Id expect someone on tomorrow.

July 12, 2012 7:37 pm

No they didnt Curt

Curt
Curt
July 12, 2012 7:48 pm

I’m assuming they had AA on giving lots of non-answers to lots of non-questions, though. Any poker players on?

Ami Angelwings
July 12, 2012 9:35 pm

@Lee so if you hate our criticism and spend time criticizing us for our criticism here, why do you continue to come to this site and read it? You’re just giving hits to TSM and encouraging him to allow us to continue.

We all participate, listen, watch, etc things we also like discussing and criticizing, and that doesn’t mean we HATE ALL OF IT. W/ PTS it’s your breaking point, nobody’s telling you what you should like it, but my “valuable time” of having a podcast on in my ears while I do other things in my life isn’t being wasted by listening to a show I generally like πŸ™‚

It’s fine that you don’t like it, but life isn’t a black or white “don’t listen or don’t complain!” thing.

It’s a discussion about a show we listen to. πŸ™‚ The discussion is part of the fun. If it’s not for you, that’s fine. xD

Ami Angelwings
July 12, 2012 9:37 pm

@Alex “And as ami has said before. Bob has seemed squeamish to discuss some paets of the case on the air.”

Yup. I think it disgusts him, but it also isn’t something he likes talking about and when he discusses it, he keeps using euphemisms to avoid having to say “molestation” and “child rape” :\

Bob’s done this before with rape, when, I can’t remember who it was, it might have been Ben Roethlisberger, that he referred to the rape accusation as “a sexual indiscretion”.

Ami Angelwings
July 12, 2012 11:03 pm

Whatever that show is on at night on TSN opposite Sammut, Gareth Wheeler was kicking some butt on it about Sandusky, but Jim [lastnameIcan’tremember] cut him off and changed the topic b/c he thought Gareth was being too passionate about it and making their discussion a “debate” and Jim said it wasn’t a debate. Gareth is right tho. No amount of policy changing will fix a broken culture. Jim is also right, in that the policy needs to exist too b/c there are also ppl in our society who will say “well no policy says I have to do this, so I won’t”. It has to be both.

Also, listening to Jay Paterno on w/ Jim defending his dad, makes me hope that they could get him on with Bob and have Bob show the same passion for this case as he showed back when it broke (remember the argument w/ the guy who Bob hung up on b/c he was being a snarky jerkface?) and really grill Jay, b/c the excuses Jay was making for his dad was ridiculous. >__>

Ami Angelwings
July 12, 2012 11:13 pm

Ugh the rest of my comment was cut off due to use of angle bracket faces πŸ™

Anyway, I’m a little surprised that Bob didn’t talk about this today because Bob was pretty angry about the whole thing back when it broke, and even if the details are hard for him to discuss, he’s been very insistent that the NCAA should give Penn State the death penalty. Those calls in general have been reignited today, and since Bob was (as far as I know) among the first to start them (and also, in terms of everybody he had on the show, he was alone in it), I’d love to hear him on this topic again.

Also, as for Jay, his “defense” seemed to be “Joe is a good person who always did the right thing, and whatever he did was the right thing that anybody would do with that information at the time. Therefore, because he didn’t report, it must have meant he didn’t know regardless of what the report said, because after all, if it was the wrong thing, he wouldn’t have done it. Therefore we know that he did the right thing.”

Curt
Curt
July 13, 2012 1:19 am

Just listening to the Tim and Sid podcast from today, particularly the Penn State segment. Hear, hear. Good for them going there and saying what they did, when others didn’t have the balls to do it.

Ami Angelwings
July 13, 2012 2:09 am

Which segment is it Curt? The summaries for the segments don’t mention Penn State as a topic :\

Curt
Curt
July 13, 2012 2:15 am

I think it was the second segment, a couple minutes in.

Ami Angelwings
July 13, 2012 2:22 am

Thanks! πŸ™‚

*downloads*

alex
alex
July 13, 2012 3:25 am

yeah, I think it was at the beginning of the 2 PM hour. Tim was getting pretty worked up over it.

If TSN puts up the Cybulski show podcast from today with Lester Munson, that would be a must listen. Right, I only see 3 segments from the show have been uploaded so far: Alex A, Scott Millanovich and Simon Whitfield.

Have I mentioned lately how incredibly suck TSN has been with their podcasts

Mullah_Kintyre
Mullah_Kintyre
July 13, 2012 9:44 am

Me and others listen to McCown because he is an entertaining radio personality. Not intently watching every second of every game or not immediately knowing completely trivial facts off the top of his head, like what year some baseball player’s contract expires, hardly means he doesn’t belong on radio. I don’t know or really care about that stuff either. Someone who did know that stuff would probably be better off in his mom’s basement memorizing statistics instead of trying to be an on-air radio personality. It’s called entertainment, people. You’re not forced to listen if you don’t like it. I like Mike Richards’ silly attempts at comedy bits, as I have since I first heard him on 1050 in about 1986 and all of the many other stations he’s been on since then, and the same with Landry when he was on the 590 morning show. Yeah, some aren’t as funny as others, but I’ll take that any day over some bore spouting stats or the blandness that fills most of the rest of the day on these stations.

William
William
July 13, 2012 11:07 am

Have I mentioned lately how incredibly suck TSN has been with their podcasts

Just their podcasts? Every time I flip to that station, it’s horrible. What a disaster.

dsscpu
dsscpu
July 13, 2012 11:49 am

He was speaking to Brunt and man, you would think he would had said that right…

Another Steve
Another Steve
July 13, 2012 1:07 pm

I am in my own basement now, not my mother’s, because it is much cooler here.

But even upstairs I will still know that Halladay didn’t win a ring with the Phillies.

durkaman
durkaman
July 13, 2012 1:56 pm

I may be the only one, but do you really want to hear over and over about Penn State? I’m not saying that to ignore the severity of the problem, but if you were to dedicate a 15 minute segment, what was there to talk about?

It’s not a pleasant thing to discuss and the only thing you can do is recycling the condemnation of Penn State. To be honest, as a listener, I would just skip the segment because there’s no point listening to the obvious.

Sam
Sam
July 13, 2012 3:12 pm

Looking forward to Dan Patrick – on podcast – on the Freeh report when he gets back.

Alex
Alex
July 13, 2012 4:18 pm

Bob just signed his new contract on the air with scott moore.

Six years they are saying.

Chris
Chris
July 13, 2012 4:35 pm

If it really is 6 years, he’ll outlast TSN1050 during the duration of this contract.

sam in oshawa
sam in oshawa
July 13, 2012 6:57 pm

He still has Eric Tillman on , a grown man who put his hands on a 16 yr old girl. Shame…

July 13, 2012 7:00 pm

What does that have to do with the price of Tea in China?