Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by Rob Gregg

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown:

400 – Neil Smith
500 – Roundtable – joining McCown are Damien Cox, Sid Seixeiro, and James Deacon

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

TBA

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Rob Ray and Lyndon Byers, Former NHL Enforcers
Ruben Brown, 9x NFL Pro Bowl selection
OTR Crew Panel featuring Corey Landsberg, Aaron Bronsteter, Nick Caroli and Lauren Millet

Tonight on Sportsline:

Will Blue Jays starter Ricky Romero return to form in the second half of the season? Will the Raptors accommodate Jose Calderon’s trade request? Should Penn State suspend their football program while the law deals with their sex scandal, and was Eskimos GM Eric Tillman wrong to admit that he regrets trading Ricky Ray to the Argonauts? Join Hebsy & Bubbs, tonight at 7 on CHCH.

Alex
July 13, 2012 5:18 pm

let the complaining about Bob’s new contract begin~! 🙂

with bob signing his contract live on air, I’m surprised gord kirk was not one of the roundtable today

July 13, 2012 5:24 pm

6 years, any educated guess as to how much over the 6 years? One of the clauses I would assume is in there is more vacation time.

July 13, 2012 5:39 pm

James Deacon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

July 13, 2012 6:00 pm

Are you absolutely kidding me Bob? You don’t think Colby Rasmus is NOT a great Center Fielder? My god do you watch anything or even listen to analysts anywhere?

Ami Angelwings
July 13, 2012 11:57 pm

Why did they save the Penn State discussion for their shortest segment? :\

Curt
Curt
July 14, 2012 12:52 am

Because, Ami, it’s obviously much more important to have a deep, analytical, serious, discussion on the impact of NHL free agent signings. Don’t you know that? The NHL never gets the attention it deserves. I know, in July, all I can do is think about hockey – but that’s just me. #sarcasm

itchy butt
itchy butt
July 14, 2012 5:10 am

Scott Moore might be the least funniest human being after Greg Brady.

July 14, 2012 11:28 am

is there going to be a weekend post? if so, might i suggest the topic: in light of 6 more years of PTS on the FAN, what changes/additions/improvements would you like to see?

Ami Angelwings
July 14, 2012 2:12 pm

My reaction to 6 years is what Bob always says: It’s not my money. XD No salary caps on radio hosts (as far as I know). xD

I’m expecting somebody to call into Wilner now and scream about how if Rogers can afford to blow money on Bob how come they aren’t willing to pay for free agents >_>

Ami Angelwings
July 14, 2012 2:17 pm

I was also thinking, is the record boost in listenership (and general boost all over the station) b/c of the Jays being popular in the city again? I see Jays jerseys EVERYWHERE now, it’s like a fashion trend in Toronto… it’s the new in thing for people to wear, and going to Jays games has become a thing again. After every Jays games it’s swarms of Jays fans in Jays wear everywhere. o_o It’s quite cool actually.

But I was wondering if b/c the FAN is the station of the Jays, people are sticking w/ it b/c they aren’t hardcore sports nerds and they don’t really know or care that TSN1050 exists and so when these people are now stuck in traffic during the day, they give whatever’s on the FAN a spin and Bob does talk a LOT of Jays. I mean if you’re stuck in the car from 4-7, you generally are going to listen to something, and if you are now a Jays fan, you might be tuning in since it’s the sports channel you know, cuz you’ve heard the Jays on it.

I mean I think obv that Tim and Sid are giving Bob a boost in the younger audience, but I think in general, maybe the increased listenership across the board has to do with the Jays popularity? After all, TSN didn’t even exist a couple years ago, so they’re not stealing listeners from the other sports radio channels, so they must be getting new people who weren’t interested in sports talk before and it happens to coincide with this sudden Jays boom.

Ami Angelwings
July 14, 2012 2:24 pm

@Mike (In Boston) Hmmm… replace both Shannon and Cox and have them just as regular hockey experts during the hockey season or whenever things happen (and Cox as Tennis expert, though… what happened to Tebbut?) More Brunt weeks, and have Friedman and/or Grange as Bob’s other co-hosts.

More roundtables with non-Sportsnet people (though, at the rate they’re acquiring people, that leaves Ormsby, Perkins, Deacon, Shoalts, Kirke, Zeisberger >_>)

I’m not sure how to fix Bob’s slightly deteriorating memory… more tea? Turning the “bar’ area of the studio into a bubble tea bar? 😀

Ami Angelwings
July 14, 2012 2:30 pm

On the roundtable, I would have preferred the long segment be dedicated to the Penn State scandal (or an hour in the national hour, rather than the appendix at the end of the Toronto hour) than debating who is the best QB in the NFL, b/c outside of Brees getting a lot of money, that’s non-topical discussion that can be had at any time. :\

alex
alex
July 14, 2012 3:19 pm

This would be a good weekend for a TSM podcast too. :>

July 14, 2012 4:27 pm

I’ll just throw out there, I find the baseball talk to be fairly uninformed on PTS a lot these days, unless Bob has a baseball savvy cohost … BUT … I thought the interview Bob and Cox did with AA on Thursday was fantastic. Good questions, and they got a lot out of AA.

Syn
Syn
July 14, 2012 7:18 pm

We should have a TSM commenter roundtable someday.

alex
alex
July 14, 2012 8:51 pm

Backstage PTS should invite Ami on a holiday roundtable with bob anf brunt.

Ami Angelwings
July 15, 2012 1:28 am

I support this idea.

Mike
Mike
July 15, 2012 11:51 am

DAN PATRICK SHOW back for the next 2 weeks from 9AM-12PM on TSN Radio 1050 as Scott MacArthur is on holidays……. Guess TSN Radio 1050 ran out of fill in hosts or realize that Dan Patrick had better ratings in that timeslot then Scott MacArthur???

Either way its good for listeners in this market for the next 2 weeks hearing DAN PATRICK great show with great guests. TSM is a fan as we all know

July 15, 2012 12:49 pm

Hayhurst to start doing Jays radio. Good for him. It looks like Ashby will be making the jump to TV soon enough.

Curt
Curt
July 15, 2012 2:48 pm

Could that mean bye-bye, Buck? Best news in a long time if true.

July 15, 2012 2:58 pm

Well, officially, Dirk is just filling in because Alan is taking the weekend off.

But Dirk did just tweet something like: ‘if you like the job I’m doing let @sportsnet know’ … So maybe it’s a bit of an audition.

I think Dirks done a very good job on the PBP and his show. I love Jerry and Alan together, but Jerry/Dirk and Buck/Alan could work.

Curt
Curt
July 15, 2012 3:20 pm

Alan/Pat. No Buck… 🙂

July 15, 2012 3:48 pm

If I were given 1 guy is gone out of the 4 there to get Dirk in for me it’s bye bye Pat.

Curt
Curt
July 15, 2012 3:52 pm

Really? Buck is a train wreck. Granted, Pat’s not the best colour guy around, but last I checked, he didn’t have a website devoted to his constant screw-ups.

July 15, 2012 3:57 pm

just listened to the PTS podcast where Bob claims that Halladay left the Jays to get a ring and eventually got one. That was painfully embarrassing.

July 15, 2012 3:58 pm

Oh I agree Curt, this is a no win either way, my thought would be when Ashby is with Buck he (Ashby) generally talks more and over Buck.

July 15, 2012 4:01 pm

Yeah MIB that was pointed out by me right after. I just wanted to call in and say ‘Bob are you serious’? For someone who ‘claims’ to watch Halladay every chance he gets with the Extra Innings package he sure had a doozey there, my 5 year old knows more about the game today than poor Bob.

July 15, 2012 4:13 pm

The sad thing is, Buck and Pat are an upgrade over a lot of what we’ve heard for Jays TV PBP in the last decade or so.

Anyone remember Rod Black and Joe Carter? Rob Faulds? Rance Mullinicks? Yikes.

Curt
Curt
July 15, 2012 4:29 pm

Oh yeah, Rod Black… It takes someone like him to put things in perspective. Buck, you ain’t so bad afterall!

Congrats to Bob on that 6 year contract. If he didn’t follow sports before…

July 15, 2012 6:05 pm

I think I heard Bob say he was back on vacation this coming week, 2 bad, if he were there he could brag up his boy Villanueva, career high 8 K performance today!

Darrell
Darrell
July 15, 2012 7:19 pm

Worst Blue Jays analysts have to be: John Cerutti & Rance Mulliniks (over the past 20 years)

Worst Blue Jays announcers had to be: Rob Faulds, Jamie Campbell and former CBC guy Brian Williams.

Ami Angelwings
July 16, 2012 1:55 am

I really think that wasn’t Bob not knowing baseball, or not paying attention, I think it was Bob simply forgetting what happened. :\ I honestly don’t think paying more attention or caring more or etc would have changed that memory slip up, or other ones that he’s made. 🙁

itchy butt
itchy butt
July 16, 2012 6:36 am

Hayhurst was excellent! Good guy to fill in for Ashby. If Ashby ever leaves for another team, or TV, he’d be the first guy on my list to replace him.

itchy butt
itchy butt
July 16, 2012 6:37 am

Buck will never be confused with Vin Scully, but I like his enthusiasm. MUCH better than some of the other guys over the years.

William
William
July 16, 2012 11:34 am

I don’t get why people knock Buck. He’s by FAR the best TV play-by-play guy the Jays have had over the past 10 years. (I know that’s not saying much, but he is solid.)

Good for Hayhurst filling in on colour. Hopefully that’s the end of Wilner dipping his toes in as a replacement for Ashby.

July 16, 2012 12:23 pm

I thought the PTS interviews with Anthopoulos and Bryan Colangelo last week were very good

The Halladay mistake that McCown made was pretty embarrassing………….but I can’t say I am all that surprised…………….my expectations for his knowledge of things like that are so low that sometimes I am actually surprised when he gets things right

The difference between McCown and others is that he doesn’t seem to care when he gets something wrong…………….Brady is more prepared than just about anyone but it’s impossible for him (or anyone else) to know everything…………..last week he stated that Nadal is 5 years older than Djokovic, when in reality he is only one year older…………..but after he made that statement he corrected himself within a couple of minutes after doing a quick online check

July 16, 2012 3:15 pm

Elliote Friedman is filling in for Bob all week on PTS.
I have a question which I’m sure most of you will be able to answer. I never ever listen to the Morning Show because it is a real busy time of day for me. Can people explain to me why 90% of the people at least on this site hate this guy so much? Again having never really listened to him and I follow him on Twitter, seems like a decent enough guy, why the hatred?

Darrell
Darrell
July 16, 2012 3:31 pm

Elliotte Friedman (The Freege) will be an awesome fill-in for Bob McCown.

As for Morning Show – you got the wrong guy completely. The morning show hosts are Greg Brady & Jim Lang; not Elliotte Friedman.

July 16, 2012 3:38 pm

Sorry, I meant Brady?

itchy butt
itchy butt
July 16, 2012 3:52 pm

Brady? Other than he is not funny? He has man crushes on a handful of athletes and drops the same names ad nauseum……talks about Detroit all the time……sounds like an even bigger buffoon when he talks about other topics……has an irritating delivery…….shalI go on?

Darrell
Darrell
July 16, 2012 3:55 pm

The whole Detroit thing irritates me about Greg Brady. You don’t talk about Detroit sports teams all the time on a Toronto sports radio station.

I realize it’s a small thing but his greeting the guest with the tag line, “It’s good of you to join us, we appreciate it!”

I agree on him not being funny. I personally don’t have any issues with Jim Lang’s delivery, but don’t think he is a right fit for a morning show though.