Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by Rob Gregg

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with guest host Elliotte Friedman. John Shannon co-hosts from 5pm:

400 – Bob Elliott, in studio for the hour
520 – Ken Rosenthal, Fox Sports
540 – Sam Mitchell, former Raptors coach
600 – Doug MacLean, Sportsnet hockey analyst
620 – Richard Deitsch, SI.com
640 – Mike Kern, Philadelphia Daily News

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

TBA

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

Tyler Seguin, Boston Bruins
Joe Montana, NFL Legend

Tonight on Sportsline:

Now that Brett Lawrie is injured, who should play what position in the Blue Jays infield? Should one time Expo Pete Rose be inducted into the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame? What should be expected from Tiger Woods at the Open Championship and Predators enforcer Brian McGrattan takes MMA lessons with Jeff Joslin! Join Hebsy & Bubbs, tonight at 7 on CHCH.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 41
  • comment-avatar

maclean + shannon = a dangerous combination

• comment-avatar

I so wanted Friedman to do well as host… I guess it’s harder than I thought.

• comment-avatar

was it really necessary to spend 1/2 of the first segment of the national hour on inside jokes between the co-host and guest regarding PEI, Sportsnet employees and old NHL executives?

This a day after they barely give Landry Fields 2 minutes to speak just so they could jam in extra Blue Jays talking heads ….. like we don’t hear enough BJ talk as it is already?

Nuke the turd that is PTS and give Tim and Sid 6 hours.

No actually – I want T&S back in podcast form where they can swear and go on rants rather than having to do softball interviews with B-list Rogers hacks

• comment-avatar

Agree Curt, after Mondays show I have just listened to a few parts Tue & Wed, I normally don’t like listening to Bob interviewing Bob Elliot but enjoyed today’s first segment.

• comment-avatar

He’s not horrible or anything, just too plodding. A host needs to speak a bit more quickly and with some inflection. Elliot is too monotone and seems to be “searching” for his words too much. Not the best interviewer either, yet. Maybe he’ll get better.

mike (in boston) 9 years ago

just listened to a week old interview with AA by Cybulski + Mackowitz. Macko asked two hard questions about the recent report that the Jays bid less than $16 million for Darvish. AA dodged both of them artfully but basically said he didn’t think the author could have access to the numbers. This is, of course, not a denial, but a long-winded “no comment”.

Macko was one question short though. AA said that the downsides of commenting on whether they did or did not bid were too many to make it worthwhile. A proper follow-up would have been to point out that the main downside seems to be that the Jays would have to admit that they essentially were not in on Darvish.

Cybulski’s contribution was to say “you can tell us, it’ll be our secret! Hahahahhahahaha”

My point? Cybulski is consistently out-shined by his co-hosts. Time for a change.

• comment-avatar

Cybulski reminds of that creepy, dorky teenager that shows up @ your door asking your daughter out on her first date!!

• comment-avatar

I didn’t know, until last couple weeks, that Marek, Mackowycz and George Strombolopolous did a show on the Fan 10 or so years ago. I knew Marek was good friends with both of them, but didn’t know they did a show together.

I wonder what a Marek + Mackowycz on 590 now would sound like.

• comment-avatar

Like Curt, I want to like Friedman as host too, but he is pretty plodding and he gets sidetracked onto his own tangents or stories, which is fine if he didn’t talk so slow. Also, he seems to want to hear stories from everybody else too, and after a while I just want them to talk about something topical, especially since none of these stories are particularly interesting (I did like the Grange/Mitchell stuff though). But so far, I’ve heard very little analysis of things and a lot of stories from Grange and Shannon and Friedman and after a while it gets a bit much. It’s still only 3 shows though and hopefully he’ll hit his stride after a bit. 🙂

• comment-avatar

Did anybody hear the Mike Kern interview with Shannon and Friedman? I’m annoyed they left it to this tiny little segment at the end, and that NOBODY hammered Kern for what he said. I cannot believe he actually referred to football players who would have no school to play at as “innocent victims” in a situation that’s about a school covering up child rape. He said that giving Penn State the death penalty would “create more innocent victims.” I’m sorry, these “victims” are nowhere near on the level as the child rape victims! >_<

Also Kern said that the Death Penalty should be given to a school that's a repeat offender. First off, I consider covering up MULTIPLE INSTANCES OF RAPE pretty "repeat", secondly, so we need to wait for a SECOND child rape cover up? This is some pretty damn high standard for action he has.

It just was so infuriating how much he was brushing this off and also equating football players without a school to rape victims. Given how they've felt about it, I'd have loved to hear Gareth Wheeler, Jeff Blair or Sid Sixiero interview him rather than Elliot (who said nothing) and Shannon (who seemed skittish about challenging him and dodged the whole thing in his question). I'd love to hear Bob too, if we got the Bob who kicked that other guy off the show about this tragedy.

itchy butt 9 years ago

Friedman’s really dropped the ball. Not sure what happened. He’s really become soft. The whole “starstruck” interchange between him and Shannon was like some bad TMZ show. I know many of you have already crowned him as the heir to Bob’s throne, but if this is what it’ll be like, no thanks.

On another note, for those of you that have any problem with the Jays’ broadcast team, you need to get the MLB app and check out other team’s play by play guys. Listened to the Dodgers/Phillies game out of KLAC yesterday and almost fell asleep. Not only is the play by play dull, but the audio production sucks. Could barely hear the crowd.

Julian 9 years ago

Itchy,

You and I agree on talent for a change, but that’s what makes the world go round, right?

Friedman in the host chair was an utter disaster this week. Maybe the slowest-moving radio show I’ve ever heard. He wasted a number of guests’ time telling his own stories instead of asking them questions. If I’m to guess yesterday, I think they got three questions into the SI Media guy – Deutsch? – and they had to cut off the Penn State reporter in the second answer he was giving.

Friedman also suggesting he couldn’t cover the Penn State story because it would make him too emotional was a complete embarrassment. It makes all of us emotional. So, he’d quit his job if assigned to it?

It may not have helped being on with Shannon, or Arash Madani or Grange. None of those three are real strong in the co-host chair.

That brings me to believe that you’ve got three type of guys on radio – 1) hosts, 2) cohosts 3) “panel guys”.

Friedman is a #3, maybe a #2. Brunt is an excellent #2, couldn’t be a #1. The #1’s who seem to have gained the confidence of their employers look to be:

Mike Richards
    Bryan Hayes
    McCown, obviously
    Brady
    To some extent, Blair

I’d still argue Blair needs a co-host to make his show better, but I’m not sure the right co-hosts make McCown or Brady any better. If you listen to them on their own, they’re compelling enough, and in fact, as some suggest, the wrong co-host, a John Shannon, a Damien Cox, a Jim Lange, can take away from the effect the host has. It’s what makes Brunt so incredibly valuable, in my estimation.

They tried pairing on 590 Michael Grange with Jeff Blair. It just didn’t sound right, yet I think Grange is a great foil for McCown, as Bruce Arthur was. If you paired Grange with Arthur, no way, sorry, there’s no “host” there.

Just some thoughts to get beyond the “this guy sucks, he’s awful” debate.

If anyone can’t see the writing on the wall, it’s tough to see anyone but Tim and Sid taking over for McCown. They hold their spot, do well, and then they can do their show in that 4 o clock slot. I’d still suggest they’re a fun show, but there’s not a ton of hard opinions, and they rarely argue. Sometimes I enjoy it, sometimes I’d rather hear a little more tension. Maybe it will evolve. I think many will welcome a lot of the older guests McCown has on and co-hosts like Shannon and Cox being edged out, but it seems that’s 6 years away.

mike (in boston) 9 years ago

great insights Julian – this is the kind of analysis that keeps me coming back here in spite of the general decline in sports media posts. It’s great to read strong opinions about the MSM and the comments section rarely disappoints.

The question of what makes a good host rather than a co-host or guest is a fantastic one.

One main quality is the ability to keep the show moving by asking well thought out questions that will generate interesting answers. How often do you hear people ask “how important was it to …” and then the reply is “very important!”. This is the lowest form of sports discussion. McCown is very good at avoiding this style of interview.

A 2nd quality is the ability to refrain from making every discussion about oneself. That’s acceptable if you’re a guest, but if you’re the host then you need to be able to check your ego so that others can tell their stories and give their insights. McCown is struggling with this one at the moment in my opinion.

I think it is way too soon to talk about Tim&Sid taking over PTS. Remember that Stellick was once the heir apparent. It’s sad to hear that Friedman is struggling in the role – I had high hopes for him.

Darrell 9 years ago

Am I alone in thinking that the FAN dropped the ball on the Yankees/Jays game yesterday at around 4:20 PM yesterday? Mike Wilner says that they will do a rain delay show taking calls across the country and the FAN 590 will go to Prime Time Sports? HUH!?!?! I think they should’ve flipped it around. Rest of Canada goes to Prime Time Sports and Toronto (the city you need to drum up interest in the Jays) will get the rain delay show.

For all that Wilner does wrong in dealing with callers and his views on the Jays – I think the FAN dropped the ball. Toronto fans would’ve wanted to vent and air their concern about Bautista, Lawrie, the deadline, injuries to pitching, etc. As it turns out the game was an “official” game but still….

Darrell 9 years ago

I liked Gord Stellick as host for Prime Time Sports when Bob McCown was away.

I do like Jeff Blair but don’t like him on Prime Time Sports. If Elliotte Friedman jumps ship from CBC to Sportsnet, put him in as co-host when Bob is there and then maybe rotate co-hosts. Truth of the matter – Prime Time Sports have not found a good co-host since Jim Hunt. Just like the morning show was stunk since Pat Marsden was ousted at the FAN.

Jimbob 9 years ago

Long-time reader, first time poster.

In the business, and have worked with Friedman before. Let me tell you what is going on here.

He starts slow. I don’t know why it is, but it happened at HNIC too. His first few months were weak, and some there wondered if they’d made a mistake. But, in the second half of that year, he began to catch his stride. Now, he’s a cornerstone…he fills a huge role.

I think what happens is, he has too much respect for what he’s doing. When he got to Hockey Night, he really worried about “embarrassing” the show. It was HNIC, and it’s the show every broadcaster wants to work on and he was a bit paralyzed by making sure everything was perfect.

I know he thinks of Prime Time on the same level. He’d love to host it some day…and I do think he’d be great at it. But, right now, he’s being too cautious. He doesn’t want to hurt “the brand. He also has as much respect for Bob as he does for Ron MacLean, so sometimes, for whatever reason, he holds back because he doesn’t want to appear as if he’s angling for their jobs.

It’s not like he isn’t confident in his abilities. It’s that he’s too respectful to others’. But, he found a great balance at HNIC — look at how much he added this past season, including some strong debates with Ron, PJ, Healy and Milbury. Those guys will eat you up if unprepared.

From inside the business, I can tell you not many guys can do what he did on Tuesday. What did they have — no guests for four straight segments from 5 until almost 615? The fact that show wasn’t a total disaster is a real credit to him.

And, if you ever heard him co-host with Bob, you know he’s unafraid to stand up to him. I can understand why you see this as disappointing, but, to some of us, it’s not unexpected. He’s supposed to go into next week too, and I’d bet he’ll be better at the end than the beginning. (He should really stop looking at his blackberry during the show, though.)

As for what he brings out of his guests, I have to tell you there are few better than he is. The stuff from Bob Elliott was excellent and I loved the stories about the Olympics, etc. Now, if you’re not interested in that, that’s one thing, but people do reveal themselves to him.

If this reveals anything, it’s that the show will be different once Bob’s had enough. If, for argument’s sake, Elliotte was to be the guy, it would be more like the show Dan Shulman used to do. (Not saying Friedman’s as good as Shulman, but that their approaches are similar.)

The other highly underrated thing about him is that he’s will make anyone look good. He’s got an ego, like anyone else in this business, but he also understands that you’re there to make people look good. Guys love working with him because he’s happy to do it.

Understand this, too: he’s very self-critical. If you guys think he’s been this bad, he feels worse. It’s why he’s gotten as far as he has — he’s very honest about himself.

I’m very curious to see where this goes.

I’ll hang up and listen:)

itchy butt 9 years ago

Something tells me there is some contractual thing with PTS and baseball. Seems like PTS is top priority. Never a Blue Jays Talk on afternoon games. Once they went to the rain delay and PTS started, they weren’t going back.

itchy butt 9 years ago

If they could coach Blair on his obvious ticks (repeating things twice a hundred times in one sentence), I think he’d be a great #1 host.

• comment-avatar

It was annoying how they were jumping around during the lightning delay between 590 and 590.com. First, tim and sid, then wilner, then tim and sid again.

All due to rights issues of course, but it was a pain.

If bob is going to be around for 6 years, we dont need to worry about his successor. It could be someone we dont know right now, or even someone not ven on the air.

• comment-avatar

I used to listen to mike kern years ago when he was on Wip in philly.

He was good then, a far more nuanced guy on issues than he appeared yesterday.

• comment-avatar

One thing I’m noticing about Blair now that I listen to him on podcast is that he’s a lot louder than his guests. I’m not sure if that’s just his voice (which I find kind of hard on my ears) or that he speaks a lot louder or what, but I’m constantly dealing with either being unable to hear his guests, or hearing his guests and then suddenly Blair is blaring (no pun intended) into my ears and it hurts. >_<

itchy butt 9 years ago

Ami, your old picture was better. You look like a bobble head now.

• comment-avatar

Elliott starred the show today apologizing for the PSU segment and his “measured” reaction during the interview.

As for the Blair thing, I’ve noticed some of the 590 shows have leveling issues. When I listen to the MVSW show online line, it’s markedly quieter than the regular shows on air.

• comment-avatar

What’s wrong with being a bobblehead? o:

Okay, I may change it to something else >_>

mike (in boston) 9 years ago

the noon baseball show is really working out well, but Sam needs to stay within himself with big words. While commenting on Encarnacion’s new deal he wondered whether the performance would be “commiserate” with the contract.

• comment-avatar

I like all the sabr talk with Hayhurst on the noon show. We’ve heard FIP and WAR. I await him trying to introduce BABIP.

• comment-avatar

@Alex I’m glad he did. He probably got a LOT of feedback about it. Backstage PTS told me that they (I’m not sure who is the one responding to me) were screaming at him (tho he couldn’t hear them) to say something…

It was just amazing how neither Elliotte or Shannon said a thing.

I am heartened that at least this was acknowledged and not ignored though.

mike (in boston) 9 years ago

is @backstagepts basically just a promo feed for PTS? Just had a glance at their recent content and it’s mostly “tune in to see what Bob is wearing!!!!!”

Julian 9 years ago

Ami,

The reporter was entitled to his opinion that the football program shouldn’t be punished. I don’t think that’s that unusual an opinion. It was more Friedman suggesting the Penn State football program be destroyed and not having any time to follow up on the reasons for that and what you do with 100 football players who worked their asses off their whole lives to earn a football scholarship, go to the school of their choice and then who have nowhere to play because a senile, arrogant old man knowingly harboured and sheltered a suspected serial pedophile.

I’ve lived in Canada my whole life and love US college sports but you hear people mutter “give them the death penalty” and they have no idea what that really entails for a school, and obviously other sports, including women’s sports would suffer tremendously if the football program dried up and died away.

Either way, it was more the blabbering before the interview, then leaving the subject about 3 minutes to speak through Friedman and Shannon and their windbag stories and opinions that was the issue, not his opinion. If he doesn’t get that, he’s more of a wreck at this hosting thing I originally thought.

You just can’t change what people are sometimes. Like baseball players, some guys have all the tools, some guys hit for power, hit for average, have a little bat but great speed or defense.

Friedman’s such a solid reporter and “big picture” guy. He’s not quick nor funny and very measured and cautious when speaking. It’s like taking a reporter like Armen Keteyian or Jim Gray and letting them fill in for Jim Rome or Dan Patrick. The results would be dreadful. At the end of the day, the host has to be quick and be about entertaining. Say what you will about McCown, but he’s earned the stripes to do the show he wants to do, and he may be really, really disengaged from sports as it is now, but he never forgets his gig is based on entertaining. You can do it or you can’t. It shows you how little depth the industry truly has. Great hosts have jobs and are doing well. They’re not sitting on the bench waiting for a chance, nor are they TV reporters or desk anchors.

• comment-avatar

When brunt went to the other station, was he the host or co host of that show?

Co-host to afternoon drive host Jim Van Horne

• comment-avatar

“Nowhere to play…” Well, they could transfer to any one of the schools that will be lined up to sign them (as did happen at SMU). So they don’t get to play for their first choice school – cry me a ****ing river. At least they didn’t have to deal with the horrors perpetrated on vulnerable boys in the Penn State showers. Maybe these “elite athletes” would be forced to think about something other than themselves for a change. That would be nice.

And a “suspected” serial pedophile? There is no suspected about it. The guy’s a monster – a convicted monster.

• comment-avatar

Friedman did accept responsibility for how that segment went and held himself accountable. I also think he used his inexperience as an explanation not an excuse. It was refreshing to hear someone admit they blew it.

If the NCAA does kill the football program the kids on football scholarships will be victimized if left on their own. However, it just does not need to be. The NCAA could step in to place those with scholarships with other similar schools if they wish to continue playing football. Penn State stays on the hook for the same level of scholarship as the student qualified for regardless of cost.

If the student decides that they don’t want to continue with football, they stay at Penn State with the scholarship they received remaining in effect. For those not on a scholarship again their transfers should be facilitated however there would be no guarantees of making the team at their new school.

My own view is that the football program should get the death penalty. I believe that these are heinous crimes against the most vulnerable not only by the perpetrator but also those who through their own concerted actions allowed it to continue. They had it within their grasp to do the right thing and spare these kids the nightmares they will endure through their life and those in power failed. They do not need to fail again in allowing the innocent kids playing football to have their dreams shattered. But the school has demonstrated through their own hubris they no longer deserve the benefits a football program will bring them.

• comment-avatar

I just do not think that the high disproportional blaming of Paterno , to which people are basically making him an accomplice to the crime or an enabler is warrented… as I have said many times since November, the only people that know when Paterno brought the issue to his superiors , as he did to the letter of the law ,are Paterno and the school administrators…and even with that , and his statements of “In hindsight , I should have done more”…that could mean that he may have pestered numerous times to the administration as to the progress of their investigating his initial reports , and the administration could have said “Joe, go coach the boys, we will handle the case”, and he believed they would , and left the issue in the administrations hands at that point…No one knows at what point or after how many attempts to follow up , did his active role end , very possibly under orders from the higher ups…Instead of Paterno being the focal point , I don’t hear much about the local law enforcement or the District Attorney or even as high as the Governors office , which is ultimately where the buck stops since the college is a publically run State college. I believe over time, we will learn that the clear blame will be well beyond Paterno…all the Freeh Report is , is an opinion based on partial information that does not tell the full story…Keep in mind , very few believe the Warren Commission to this day almost 50 years after the fact. People are quick to buy reports once they are issued, but as time passes , those reports are often proven to be untrue or at best incomplete.

• comment-avatar

Sorry Darren, but that’s bs. Paterno was Penn State, probably the most powerful man in the state. Nothing happened there without his knowing. No, he didn’t rape the boys, but he surely knew about. He had several chances to go to the police – as was his responsibilty. But, instead, he chose to participate in the cover-up, allowing Sandusky to commit more crimes. Shameful. He deserves everything thrown at him.

• comment-avatar

Just a different point of view. Obviously whatever eventually happens I’m fine with it.

mike (in boston) 9 years ago

according to the Freeh report the email evidence shows the administrators had decided to report the shower rape to the authorities but decided not to after discussing it with Paterno.

• comment-avatar

If the baylor basketball players got to transfer without penalty, youd figure the same would apply to psu players.

• comment-avatar

“People are quick to buy reports once they are issued, but as time passes , those reports are often proven to be untrue or at best incomplete.”

But currently there is no proof that it’s untrue. Should we wait 20 years before we act to find out if the Freeh report was wrong, just because you never know if new evidence comes up?

Why is the assumption that Joe Paterno did things to try to stop this that nobody’s heard about? People are only going by the facts that we have, and those facts are very damning of him and the administration. Sure, anything COULD have happened that nobody heard about. We can speculate on a million ways how the school administration tried their very hardest. It’s like that Simpson’s episode where Reverand Lovejoy says that clearly Jessica Lovejoy’s room was replaced by Bart’s to explain why the stolen money was under her bed, and says “well, use your imagination!” to the crowd. We can always come up with theories about how the guilty parties aren’t guilty at all, but none of those theories are supported by the facts. If new facts are uncovered, then new conclusions can be reached.

Nobody WANTS to blame Paterno. It’s not like people hate the guy, in fact prior to this everybody loved him. They blame him because the facts say that he is in part to blame.

And if he felt nothing was happening to stop Sandusky, then he has more options than to just bug the school administrators, if we go by your theory that he may have done that. (Though, it’s odd he never mentioned it. You would think if he did more than was reported he did, he would have said it, to correct the false impression. We wouldn’t have to guess at the meaning behind his words.) He could go to the police. He could go to the press about the school’s inaction.

And there’s plenty of ways the NCAA and Penn State can help the football players who would be without a school to play with, which has already been suggested above. Honestly, this is a less important issue than cleaning out the rot in the football program, and sending a message about the results of choosing the importance of a football program over rape survivors.

The reason they didn’t report was fear of hurting the football program. If every school now knows that the price of covering up rape in order to protect the football program is the utter destruction of that program, then the cost/benefit analysis changes.

There, I changed my picture :3 Are you happier now? 😀

mike (in boston) 9 years ago

great post Jimbob – it’s nice to hear from someone who knows Friedman personally.

One thing he should keep in mind: Bob shows more disrespect for “the brand” than anyone, so the bar is set pretty high.

I still have a lot of confidence that Friedman can shine in the role. He’s smart, knowledgeable, and obviously a hard worker. Hopefully this year he can nudge Shannon out as the 3rd co-host, and then transition to part-time host as Bob moves to the Johnny Carson schedule.