Toronto Sports Media Weekend Discussion- Leafs Play by Play

By TSM

Sorry for no post last weekend.

Here we go.

So, as you know Teachers sold their share of MLSE to a yet to be named entity controlled by two media powerhouses, Bell and Rogers.

Eventually, a new NHL CBA will be hashed out and Leaf games are going to be the subject of radio dialogue. Unofficialy, I’ve told you that the Leaf games will be split between TSN Radio 1050 and the Fan 590. How that’s going to work has yet to formalized I am told.

As you know TSN has my namesake Jonas and the Fan has David Alter. In addition to Joe Bowen there are lots of other characters who could play some sort of role on Leafs radio. Are Jonas and Alter going to both go on road trips? Are they both going to fly on the Leafs plane?

My question to you, is if you were in charge, you have at least 81 games plus exhibition, I won’t even mention the dreaded P word…you get the picture, what would you do? Who’s is your Leafs radio dream team? Do you have 2 teams? If so who are they? If it’s just one, who made the cut?

Happy weekend!

Ticky
Ticky
July 20, 2012 11:20 pm

Anyone but Joe Bowen. He is brutally terrible with his over-the-top yelling.

Bob Roper
Bob Roper
July 21, 2012 12:07 am

Bowen needs to be reigned in. Far too many “in jokes”, far too many “non-relevant to the game” stories…and not nearly enough calling the current score of the game. He can go seven or eight minutes of a period before mentioning the score (I know, I’ve timed him on many a broadcast). As far as a sidekick, I feel it should be a former player that can call it as they knew it.

As far as Jonas/David/etc etc, it matters little to my taste. I only expect these guys to be all over the team, the players, the practices, and offer all the minutae that a “fan” should know.

I am afraid of what will happen to the game broadcasts in the hands of the “evolution of sports radio”. So far, these guys have managed to destroy an historic radio frequency. One can only hope they will approach Leaf game braodcasts better than their daily fare. They can’t even replace summer daytime vacationing announce staff properly. Midday…Wheeler and this moron Yank? Really?

Wefewee
Wefewee
July 21, 2012 9:35 am

Dan Dunleavy did a great job last year and I think that he deserves consideration.

Mullah_Kintyre
Mullah_Kintyre
July 21, 2012 10:03 am

Nothing “unofficial” about it — they said on the day of the MLSE sale announcement in December that each would have 41 Leaf games on radio,

though as you point out that does leave questions about exactly how this will work in practice, or if the season starts late because of a strike or lockout. You’d think that 590 will continue to carry all Blue Jay games, which could presumably lead to conflicts for 590 if or when the Leafs, Jays, or Raptors make it to the post season.

Darrell
Darrell
July 21, 2012 10:56 am

Joe Bowen’s got to stay, until he doesn’t want to anymore. Rightly or wrongly – he is the Bob Cole of hockey broadcasting.

I am a fan of Joe Bowen and you cannot help but laugh when he laughs, at jokes.

Ticky
Ticky
July 21, 2012 10:58 am

Bob Cole, like Fat Joe, needs to get the fuck out.

Darrell
Darrell
July 21, 2012 10:59 am

I am a fan of Joe Bowen; but the difference with Joe Bowen and Bob Cole is that Cole constantly misses the call of plays or names.

Mike
Mike
July 21, 2012 5:51 pm

Wouldnt mind having a Leaf Radio Play by Play Team consisting of Joe Bowen and Paul Romanuk on alternating play by play and a color commentator of Steve Ludzik and Doug MacLean on rotating.

Get rid of Jim Ralph and move Dan Dunleavy to a Sideline Reporter position.

Be a step up. And for the love of god when MLSE gets finalized to Rogers and Bell would they please dump Greg Millen from the telecasts. Maybe put in Doug MacLean or Nick Kypreos instead?

Sam in Sarb
Sam in Sarb
July 21, 2012 5:54 pm

Really,Tsm..Question of the weekend??
10 months of Hockey,Hockey Leafs,Leafs…
And, July20 the drop dead middle of summer..
A Hockey Question…???
7 replies???
Way to KILL a good idea!!!!!

Becks
Becks
July 21, 2012 6:41 pm

Agreed Joe Bowen needs to reign it in and Greg Millen needs to go he is absolutely horrid!

alex
alex
July 21, 2012 7:33 pm

I wonder if there will be one broadcast team for both channels or will it tsn guys one night and sportsnet guys the other?

July 21, 2012 8:25 pm

It would be nice to have Ken Daniels do the Leaf games on radio again but he has a pretty sweet TV job in Detroit so I don’t see that happening…………….Dennis Beyak used to do a pretty good job but he bolted for Winnipeg so I doubt it will be him

Since Dunleavy is a MLSE employee I just assume it will be him who calls the games on both stations, with Bowen continuing to do the games on radio that he doesn’t do on TV…………………..I am not a big fan of Dunleavy so I kind of hope it is someone else

Stellick used to be the Leafs radio colour analyst but that was almost 20 years ago so I would be a bit surprised if they choose him for that role

Steve-O
July 21, 2012 9:57 pm

Cant choose myself (self high five ), so I’d go with either Dan Dunleavy or Ken Daniels and either a guy like Mike Johnson or a curmudgeon like Wilbur Watters. It’s fantasy booking right?

July 22, 2012 9:09 am

i don’t enjoy listening to Cybulski but he nailed it on TSN’s website:

My thumb is down to Devils enforcer Cam Janssen for his ridiculous comments on a radio show a few days ago. Janssen has since apologized, but not before reminding people how extreme some cases of homophobia still exists in sports. Trying to be funny is one thing, but insinuating that you’ll beat someone up because of one’s sexual orientation is downright neanderthal to me. Last I checked, its 2012 right? The NHL warned players after an incident last year that this sort of behaviour won’t be tolerated anymore. In recent months, several of the game’s biggest stars have leant their names to the You Can Play project in attempt to eliminate this sort of attitude, but Janssen’s comments shows there’s more work to be done.

i have not really read much about this story or the fallout from it. Have the main figures spoken out against Janssen? perhaps one of the writers here can do a brief recap?

July 22, 2012 9:11 am

p.s. – TSN’s website is a disaster. They need to cleanly separate aggregated sports news content from their own original content.

Another Steve
Another Steve
July 22, 2012 11:00 am

MiB, I have heard a lot of comments, from a lot of different hosts, against Janssen’s remarks.

It reminds me of the first episode of The Newsroom a few weeks ago and the scene in which the host tells the guest from BP Oil: “Nobody is on the side of the fire, sir.”

Becks
Becks
July 22, 2012 11:07 am

Dunleavy & Ralph can also go upgrade also needed on the Leafs radio broadcast’s.

July 22, 2012 11:47 am

Brady talked about the Cam Janssen story quite a bit on his show………………I don’t believe it was ever discussed on PTS

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
July 22, 2012 1:13 pm

Don’t get why they have to split the season why don’t they just alternate every other season that way fans wont get confused and will have to offseason to promote Leafs on TSNR or 590.

Second how come TSNR can’t produce shows like the Reporters for both tv and radio. TSN has by far the better the better talent time for them to better utilize them.

Ami Angelwings
July 22, 2012 4:20 pm

I think the reason the Jannsen thing died down is b/c he talked to Patrick Burke and Burke vouched for his apology being sincere and that Jannsen is now working with You Can Play or something.

I hope this is all true and he really does realize why it’s problematic what he said. The cynical part of me is a bit concerned about how the Burke’s could be misused as essentially the “father confessors” for hockey players, where after they say/do something homophobic/transphobic, they then just talk to Patrick and say sorry, and then it’s all good. But so far so good. 🙂

July 22, 2012 6:00 pm

Paterno’s statue came down today. The NCAA sanctions will be revealed tomorrow morning, and there is talk that the university may lose federal funding under the Clery act.

The hero worship of coaches/athletes is not good for the university, no matter how much money they bring in. My one big hope in all this sordid mess is that other schools will take a long look at the relationship between their football/basketball programs and the rest of the university. That relationship was toxic, cultish, and essentially criminal in the case of Penn State. It would be a mistake to think this couldn’t happen elsewhere.

cam
cam
July 22, 2012 6:39 pm

Mike in Boston – Nice post and well said.

I made the mistake of looking at some of the comments whilst reading the articles about the Aurora tragedy on both NP and G&M sites. It is nice to read a cogent, coherent post on a very sensitive and controversial topic. In fact most of the posts here have been so written regardless of point of view. It is a credit to this community.

July 23, 2012 9:08 am

NCAA news conference is on right now.

Neal
Neal
July 24, 2012 2:16 am

MLSE will pick the talent and I think it will be relatively the same names. Bowen, Ralph, and Dunleavy are my picks. The interesting part will be the pre-game and post-game radio hosts. I liked Andy Frost on the pre-game and post-game shows but he’s not leaving Corus any time soon. A dark horse for involvement could be Mike Farwell who has plenty of junior hockey experience (at least on the Fan side of the ledger).

Don Mandrie
Don Mandrie
July 24, 2012 9:52 am

Greg Millen is a downer. He zaps energy out of the broadcast booth. Got to be another example of “Who do you know?” as opposed to “What can you do?”

Drum&Anchor
Drum&Anchor
July 24, 2012 11:21 am

I love it. “Joe Bowen is the Bob Cole of hockey broadcasting.”

Really?

Anyway, Dunleavy was mediocre at best, in my opinion. Too much of a homer who often made it difficult to tell if the other team had scored on the Leafs or not. It was as if he could barely muster the words out of his mouth.

Like him or not, at least Joe Bowen announces goals well – for both teams.

mpdman
mpdman
July 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Joey B has to stay. Sure he’s a homer, but homerism is here to stay in local broadcasting. Don’t apologize for it – embrace it.

Dunleavy was kinda blah, but got the job done.

Please lose Ralphie though, once and for all. All the guy does is whine about the refs all night long.

In general, TSN radio rules over the Fan. Torontonians are just to staid to change.

BECKS
BECKS
July 25, 2012 10:23 am

The 2 most popular sports in the world are soccer and the NFL and one of the major reasons is because of the outstanding non biased objective broadcasting commentary both sports offer. In World Cups & Euro Cups of soccer the BBC commentators offer zero homerism and are even very critical of their own English side. In the NFL it’s the same you can sit back and watch a game called objectively by non biased non homer announcers.

Homer biased Leaf tool commentators like Bowen Millen Dunleavy Ralph & Hendricks are the worst most annoying biased broadcasters in pro sports. Hopfully with MLSE’s ownership change Leaf homerism broadcasting is not here to stay!

LMFAO Leaf fans embrace the suck!!

mpdman
mpdman
July 25, 2012 6:56 pm

@Beck S.
I guess you missed the word “local” in my statement (or you are not a goodish reader).
You ever been out of Toronto pal? For any local NFL home team broadcasts I’ve heard, you’d think the quarterback was the announcer’s son!

And soccer?!? The English don’t even watch BBC for EPL. You should hear a Sky One broadcast for Chelsea in England. The dude is probably still yelling “GOOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLL”.
Stay in your cave and learn sumpin.

BECKS
BECKS
July 25, 2012 9:51 pm

MPDMAN you fail at justifying Leaf broadcasters and the pathetic annoying boot licking homers they are and the lousy job they do but have done well in your idiotic post outing yourself as a delusional moronic leaf fan who embraces the suck and knows nothing about soccer and the NFL.