Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

by Rob Gregg

Here’s your drive home lineups

On Sportsnet 590 The FAN from 4-7pm, Prime Time Sports with guest host Elliotte Friedman. Sam Cosentino co-hosts from 5pm:

400 – Phones
520 – Neil Sheehy, NHL player agent
540 – Dennis Dodd, CBSSports.com
600 – Joe Resnick, Rick Nash’s agent
610 – Aaron Portzline, Columbus Dispatch
620 – Gregg Zaun, Sportsnet baseball analyst

On TSN Radio 1050 from 4-7pm, Cybulski & Co., with James Cybulski. Bob Mackowycz co-hosts:

TBA

On TSN (5pm) & TSN2 (6:30pm), Off the Record with Michael Landsberg:

The Best of OTR – Best of the Regulars

Tonight on Sportsline:

Did the Columbus Blue Jackets get enough value from the NY Rangers for Rick Nash? Did the NCAA need to inflict the ‘Death Penalty’ to Penn State’s football program? After his huge collapse at the Open Championship, will Adam Scott ever win a major and can you count the Blue Jays out of the AL Wildcard hunt? Join Bubbs & Robin Sawh tonight at 7 on CHCH.

Mike
Mike
July 23, 2012 7:58 pm

The more and more I listen to PTS with Guest Host Elliotte Friedman the more fresh it sounds. Having Friedman co host with his former Score colleauges like Sam Cosentino, Tim Micallef, and Sid Seixiero is awesome. Plus the appearences of Michael Grange, Jeff Blair, and Jeff Marek PTS has been really good lately. Good decision by PD Don Kollins to make Friedman a Guest Host fits in well.

Looks like Nick Kypreos re signed with Sportsnet as he was on Sportsnet Connected tonight sharing his thoughts on the Rick Nash trade… his contract expired July 1 right TSM?

Any word on Doug “Richie Rich” MacLean I believe his deal expired on July 1st ?

Curt
Curt
July 23, 2012 9:08 pm

Friedman has been better since his shaky start last week. He’s a smart guy who can admit his mistakes/shortcomings – like he did the day after that Penn State interview. Anyone who can do that is a true professional and, in my opinion, can only get better.

July 23, 2012 11:08 pm

I am enjoying Friedman as host…………….I am a fan of intelligent, well-informed sports talk and that’s what he delivers most of the time……………and I think the show would be even better if you gave him a top notch co-host like Brunt or Bruce Arthur (wishful thinking)

In previous summers we used to get guys like Toth, Faulds, or Millard as fill in host for McCown…………….the people that complain about Friedman should remember that

Syn
Syn
July 24, 2012 12:46 am

Mike Toth. Just the name brings out symptoms of PTSD.

Ami Angelwings
July 24, 2012 3:23 am

I think the Kern interview shook Friedman up and he realized he had to be more assertive as a host. As he said in his explanation/apology about that interview, sometimes he overthinks things and that may explain his shaky few days last week, b/c he was worrying and overthinking what it meant to be host.

On a totally different note, listening to the interview w/ Visnovsky’s agent made me think that if that was Bob and not Friedman, he would have ended the interview about halfway through b/c the agent was saying absolutely nothing and revealing absolutely nothing. I remember when they had Kovalchuk’s agent on during the whole thing about his deal, and Bob ended the conversation quickly when he realized the agent was basically refusing to give any information.

Zaun’s auction and constantly talking about the hot female caddies made me wonder. What happens if a straight woman or a gay man wins it? Can they request the hot female caddies be replaced by hot male caddies? Cuz that would be pretty cool.

itchy butt
itchy butt
July 24, 2012 8:09 am

The whole Visnovsky thing was boring the living fuck out of me. It’s 35 degrees, the Jays just finished their best series of the year and it’s hockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockeyhockey……..STFU!!!!

Julian
Julian
July 24, 2012 8:18 am

Mike S,

No question Friedman is competent. I just don’t find him entertaining and I need that. Have a quick pace to things. Some quick wit. It’s not there. He and Arthur would sound like NPR. Now, I like my NPR occasionally, but it would never work for that very reason. And Arthur is much much quicker on the wit trigger than Friedman is. He has a place but it’s not being the orchestra conductor of a show.

By the way, having hockey agents on shows is a complete and utter waste of time. It’s basically like having an infomercial on for the player. Absolutely and utterly pointless. It’s one of several things PTS gets away with because of its heritage other shows wouldn’t dare to do, not that it’s anything other than lazy. An agent for Lubomir Visnovsky. In late July. Yep, that happened.

Julian
Julian
July 24, 2012 8:24 am

But is there an ideal substitute host for McCown? Of course not. And you’re right, previous lightweights like Toth, Faulds (I never heard Millard) and even letting John Shannon sit in that chair are really poor substitutes. But even on ESPN Radio or national shows like Rome, there’s a huge dropoff when a regular host takes vacation. Just the way it has to be, I suppose.

July 24, 2012 11:08 am

Julian………………who do you prefer as a fill in host for McCown, Blair or Friedman?

I’m not saying Friedman is anywhere near as entertaining as McCown or Brady………………but I find him informative and he has good insight…………….I can live with someone who is less entertaining if they are intelligent and insightful………………I think he is doing a pretty good job considering he has very little experience hosting a radio show

I don’t think many people would say that Shulman is extremely entertaining but I think he was a solid host of PTS for a couple of years in the mid 1990’s………………of course Friedman right now is nowhere near as smooth as Shulman………………..but I think he has the potential to be a similar style host as Shulman

alex
alex
July 24, 2012 11:50 am

As an Ichiro fanboy, I didn’t enjoy that stuff with Zauhn and Constantino. Don’t doubt there’s a ring of truth to it, of course.

Also good that Zauhn quickly apologized for dropping the “retarded” line.

Ami Angelwings
July 24, 2012 3:30 pm

Yeah! I caught that too, Alex! I was impressed, b/c while the communities I hang around on the internet all agree that “retarded” is an ablist word to use, I didn’t really expect that somebody in sports radio would realize it was a problematic word, and it’s still in such common casual usage that I presumed that it would just go unchecked, but I was happy that he caught it and apologized for it. 🙂