Toronto Sports Media Weekend Poll- Jeff Blair

By TSM

EDIT: Look, I am not saying that Blair did ANYTHING wrong. No where in this story do I accuse him of anything. I think the summer heatwave has gotten to some people’s brains. The idea was to generate a discussion, a debate. If you don’t like the topic, no problem, don’t partake.
If you read this site, his joke, good, bad or otherwise got lots of attention. All I am asking is whether you think media outlets should do anything about it. I personally didn’t think he crossed the line, I am merely asking the question.

What is acceptable behaviour on the part of members of the media and what’s not? What can they say on air, what can’t they. The old US supreme court justice once said of the word obscene, I can’t define it, but I know what it is when I see it, or something along those lines.

We live in a digital world where what one says or does is instantly available and open to interpretation and critique around the globe.

Fareed Zakaria was just suspended from CNN and Time magazine for allegedly plagiarizing.
Mitch Album got in hot water for writing about a game he didn’t attend.
I’ve written countless articles about Bill Watters making inaproprite comments while on the air during one of his shows.
Andrew Krystal and Dave Perkins are other examples of have certainly brushed right up against the appropriate line if not crossing it more recently.

So now, Jeff Blair too joins the list.

Several of you, regular contributors of this site have pointed out that Blair said he was able to find a late night/early morning eatery in London, a familiar curry place, and then joked that in eating in an establishment that’s open until 4am, he may have accidentally joined Al Qaeda.

So, I don’t think Blair’s the type who would mean this to be insulting. However he did say it. He has to be smart enough to know that in saying so he’s opened himself up to at the very least a discussion about the comments let alone his intentions. One would hope he would say something along the lines of it being an unfunny attempt at humor and that’s it no big deal.

I poked around the Al Gore’s internet and haven’t seen anything about it elsewhere. So let’s not blow it out of proportion either.

My question for you this weekend is this, should comments like this come with any type of repercussions? Do you think “jokes” like this go so far that the folks at the Fan or Globe would or should take some sort of action? Is there a clear mind in your mind where someone has to cross before receiving some sort of discipline? Mike Wilner missed a few days for perhaps comments he made on the air that weren’t “offensive” to perhaps anyone other than the then manager of the Blue Jays. Does this cross the same type of line? OR, do you really not care? It’s sports radio, anything goes, move along.

Food for thought.

mc79hockey
mc79hockey
August 10, 2012 9:30 pm

I think people who aren’t familiar with London are missing the point of Blair’s joke. He’d had a twitter exchange with me earlier that day talking about how nothing’s open after 11PM. I go to London frequently and it’s a complaint I have. Other media have said the same thing. The joke wasn’t that because it’s ethnic food, it must be associated with Al Qaeda – it’s a joke about if a restaurant in London is open that late, there must be something no good going on there.

Not As Dumb As You
Not As Dumb As You
August 10, 2012 9:36 pm

Seriously… this is what you are reduced to reporting? Worst part is I won’t get the 30 seconds it took me to read this back.

LOL
LOL
August 10, 2012 9:39 pm

LOL Way to misunderstand the joke TSM.

August 10, 2012 9:45 pm
Reply to  LOL

I didn’t say it offended me. I simply asked if it was offensive, if it crossed the line and if it did was it punishable. That’s point of a poll right, to ask a question to get dialogue

Shroogu
Shroogu
August 10, 2012 10:12 pm

to use a golf metaphor you swung and missed with this article TSM

better luck next time

Alex
Alex
August 10, 2012 10:34 pm

As I said in Amy’s thread, Blair has made the occasional dumb quip when hosting PTS or when he’s a guest. Poor joke, but not as objectionable as some of the examples TSM used. I mean, Albom fabricated a story and if he wasn’t a rockstar at the Freep, he probably would have been canned.

August 10, 2012 10:34 pm
Reply to  Shroogu

Thanks!

mike in boston
mike in boston
August 10, 2012 10:39 pm

here’s why it came across as racist –

1. curry is a cuisine/dish primarily associated with brown people
2. Al Qaeda is a terrorist organization primarily associated with brown people

hence, the implication as the joke was phrased was that the people serving him food were terrorists b/c they were brown, not because they were open late.

here’s a different phrasing: “i managed to find a place to eat after 11pm but i think i might have joined Al Qaeda as a result!” Nothing racist sounding about that. Not a great joke either way. I imagine Blair would like a do over on that one. He should take to his adoring audience on twitter and say as much.

mike in boston
mike in boston
August 10, 2012 10:48 pm

Wilner was suspended (as the story goes) for continuing the spat on his blog, not for criticizing Cito. I don’t really believe that, but what do i know.

Blair sided with Cito, as I recall, and criticized Wilner for trying to embarrass the manager. I don’t agree with that either. Wilner was questioning in-game decisions and Cito tried to shut him down and Wilner was only guilty of pursuing the line of questioning.

August 10, 2012 10:52 pm
Reply to  mike in boston

Thanks for just discussing the issue at hand! 🙂

Itchy Butt
Itchy Butt
August 10, 2012 10:55 pm

Have spent the last hour listening to Frank Zappa, so not much shocks or offends me 🙂

abbydarren
abbydarren
August 10, 2012 11:35 pm

It was not offensive to me in a y way, and I hate the new comment section.

bora
bora
August 11, 2012 12:47 am
Reply to  abbydarren

Agree with you 100% and I think that’s why there are fewer and fewer people commenting on the site.

August 11, 2012 1:06 am
Reply to  abbydarren

why do you “hate” the new comment section. I am happy to change it back, just want to understand why

August 11, 2012 1:07 am
Reply to  bora

Why do you hate it. I don’t think there are fewer and fewer comments by the way

Sam In Scarb
Sam In Scarb
August 11, 2012 3:49 am

How can It be a poll when basically you ask four different questions?
Also,they are all clown questions.

sam in oshawa
sam in oshawa
August 11, 2012 8:08 am

Blair loves his wobbly pops , between sips at the pub and waiting to throw a few darts he let the funny out. Good on -ya Jeffie.

Ken
Ken
August 11, 2012 1:25 pm

If you want to be offended, then look at what happens to your tax dollars. That is a truly offensive and actually impacts you. A comment by a sports journalist has probably created more worlds by people who claim to be offended, then emails to the Government waste of your tax dollars. That is what I find offensive…
I am so sick an tired of all of this “I am offended” act, seriously if you are offended, then it is time to put your bubble wrapped suit back on and bury your head in the sands of utopia.

(Another) Andrew
(Another) Andrew
August 11, 2012 1:51 pm

Blair is so quick to accuse others of racism – an all too common form of social signaling these days – it would be hard to feel empathy for him if he were to get into trouble over this remark. That’s one of the problems with being holier-than-thou. Indeed his joke was worse than some of the things he’s claimed were racism in the past. If I were Rogers I wouldn’t fire him over it but I’d ask him to acknowledge it (ie an expression of regret or an apology) next time he’s on the air.

Another Steve
Another Steve
August 11, 2012 1:53 pm
Reply to  Ken

Huh?

mike in boston
mike in boston
August 11, 2012 6:49 pm

someone over at SBN is Brunting that the Coyotes deal with Jamison will be completed this week:

August 11, 2012 7:48 pm
Reply to  mike in boston

Lol!

Klon Allen
August 11, 2012 8:39 pm

I don’t like it because every time I go to reply or post a new comment it takes me 10 minutes to fill out the stupid forum questions. It used to remember my creds and all i had to do was type my comment, now I have to re-enter everything and even than it tells me my email is already registered blah blah blah.

Tim
Tim
August 12, 2012 11:38 am

I thought it was a funny comment. People are way too sensitive.

mike in boston
mike in boston
August 12, 2012 11:41 pm

some reason for optimism in AA’s “propaganda” press conference today:

“You don’t want to build a team based on free agency. (But) if you’re finalizing your roster with one or two free agents — for the sake of argument — and you’re overpaying one or two out of 25 guys, the overpayment makes sense relative to the other part of the payroll as a whole.”

also, the Sandusky story might get a whole lot worse:

kind of makes these people like look even bigger idiots, if that’s possible:

have a good week everyone.

ChefMike
ChefMike
August 13, 2012 1:52 pm

On the continuum of things that offend me, Blair uming and urring a lame comment about ain’t gomna do it…

Doug Taylor
Doug Taylor
February 13, 2015 9:53 am

Jeff Blair is one of the biggest idiots in Toronto media. His attempts at humour are sophomoric at best and his hyperbole is incessant and tiring. Blair’s smugness is cringe worthy given his manifest incompetence and his self-congratulatory tone compounds the foregoing sins. Do us a favour and get this dolt off the air.