TSN Radio Tweaks Their Lineup

By TSM

A couple of modifications, at least until there is an NHL season to talk about:

530 – 9 Mike Richards
9 – 12 Dan Patrick
12 – 4 Brian Hayes
4 – 7 Cybulski & Co.
7 – 11 gamenight Jim Tatti and Scott Macarthur
11 – 2 Matt Cauz

Take a listen to Cauz, he’s a good guy and knows his stuff. Let us all know what you think.

While the NHL is out, listen to Patrick, he is quite simply – great sports radio.

Dave in Bolton
Dave in Bolton
September 6, 2012 1:25 am

If they really wanted to change their lineup swap Hayes and Cybulski time slots

matdwyer
matdwyer
September 6, 2012 1:31 am
Reply to  Dave in Bolton

I agree with this – Hayes is my favourite to listen to in the GTA. Decent knowledge of all sports, and you can tell he really cares. Seems like a guy you’d want to go for a beer with. I could do with a little bit less of the ditzy girl banter but he’s got a lot of time to fill

September 6, 2012 1:41 am

Mike Hogan still with them?

Weenerman
Weenerman
September 6, 2012 6:05 am

Is Cauz the guy who did Sunday afternoons? If so, I found his delivery contrived and annoying. Kind of like a *gasp* Andrew Krystal

September 6, 2012 7:46 am
Reply to  Dave in Bolton

agreed, but better yet would be to move Cybulski and his frat boy shtick to mornings. Hayes is unremarkable but given the quality co-hosts and guests they book for the 4-7 slot this wouldn’t matter.

TSN needs to start thinking about positioning themselves for the post McCown era. Do they really think that Cybulski can grow into the kind of host that would draw in McCown’s audience? I don’t. The talent is just not there. He subtracts more than he adds to most segments.

September 6, 2012 7:48 am

good on TSN for trying to be flexible during the lockout. Patrick is peerless during the NFL season and will probably be a good alternative to Blair.

Alex
Alex
September 6, 2012 9:28 am

The person i like most on tsn is naylor. Love to have them do a naylor/arthur show.

September 6, 2012 12:51 pm
Reply to  Daniel

Yes Hogan is still there……………..I guess he will go back to doing weekends and continue to be the Argos play-by-play man for radio………………..I’m glad they are going back to Dan Patrick (for now anyway) on weekday mornings but I would prefer if they had kept Tatti and Hogan together for weeknights

September 6, 2012 12:54 pm

Hayes announced this week that the first two hours of his show every day will be “Blue Lunch”…………….last year it was only the first hour
I agree with Alex about Naylor………….I like him a lot better as a host than Cauz

September 6, 2012 1:00 pm
Reply to  Alex

agree 100%. Naylor is consistently good in whatever role he is assigned. I don’t care for the CFL content, but he is a top notch radio host, co-host, or guest.

September 6, 2012 1:27 pm
Reply to  Mike S

Blue Lunch and Hockey Central will be entertaining for the next three months with no hockey going on.

September 6, 2012 1:43 pm
Reply to  Mike S

Haha. Classic hockey crazed TSN:

What? Due to the lockout there’s less hockey news? I know, we’ll fill the void with more hockey discussion! Brilliant!

September 6, 2012 2:24 pm
Reply to  mike in boston

Just because they call it “Blue Lunch” it doesn’t necessarily mean they will talk hockey for the entire two hours…………….they called the noon hour “Blue Lunch” all summer and talked very little hockey……………in fact they just had Mike Florio on at 1:30 today talking about the NFL and they said he will be on every Monday and Thursday at 1:30
I think the lengthening of Blue Lunch just means that Jamie McLennan will be the co-host for the first two hours each day instead of just the first hour

September 6, 2012 4:23 pm
Reply to  Mike S

i see. but didn’t it used to be called Blue and White lunch or something like that? You could see why one might think that it would be a hockey show.

Ami
September 6, 2012 4:51 pm
Reply to  mike in boston

I think the premise they’re working from is that they can’t compete with McCown’s hold the older demo, so they’re gonna do a Tim & Sid sorta fratboy thing during the 4-7 slot and try to get those people and build from that. (Note: I just think this is what they think, I don’t think this is a good idea or anything)

Mike C.
Mike C.
September 6, 2012 5:15 pm

This is a good move in my opinion…. Matt Cauz is a much better option in the 11-2 slot. I always tune into his show on the weekends… Guy knows his sports and pop culture makes for a good show. Good move putting Dan Patrick back in the old time slot of 9-12 gives sports listeners a option to Jeff Blair over on Sportsnet 590 The Fan….. I’m thinking now Mike Hogan will have the same role Doug Farraway had at Sportsnet 590 The Fan. The fill in guy. Probably at this stage of Hogan’s career the best fit for him. Jim Tatti and Scott MacArthur were a good tandem when they were originally paired a few months back….. the morning show is STILL a disaster tho they have to dump Mike Richards?!!!!

dsscpu
dsscpu
September 6, 2012 9:49 pm

They have also moved The Law from 11pm-1am on Sunday nights to 12am-2am on Monday mornings as TSN Radio has SNF. Also now simulcast on CKST in Vancouver.

September 7, 2012 8:28 am
Reply to  Ami

you’re right about their strategy, but some day soon-ish McCown will retire (or, as some people suspect, his memory will keep deteriorating and he’ll be forced to reduce his on-air time) and then it will be a whole new ballgame for that demo.

SteveO
SteveO
September 7, 2012 10:10 am

I’ve know Matt Cauz since university, and he was kind enough to invite me on The Grill Room a couple of times. He is a really charismatic host, knows his football inside out and does a decent job with other sports. Plus he is high energy and sprinkles in a lot of random/obscure funny pop-culture. Great guy, great host who really should be given a good timeslot

September 7, 2012 3:04 pm
Reply to  mike in boston

Well, Mccown is signed for what? 6 more years?

Honestly, I’ll be a little surprised if any of the current roster of TSN radio is there in 6 years!

September 8, 2012 9:39 am
Reply to  Daniel

why? look at how much recycling goes on in Toronto radio. It’s apparently extremely difficult to lose your job.

ChrisK
ChrisK
September 10, 2012 11:07 am

Glad to hear TSN radio is shaking things up a bit, i keep listening waiting for it to hit it’s stride, but it never seems to get there. I really want to like Cybulski because he seems like a good dude, but that show is missig something. I don’t think he is a enough of a heavyweight or has enough experience to take on a guy like McCown. I wonder if they have ever thought of bringing another one of their TSN anchors in to do that show. I always like Dutchy when he was on the Fan, or Vic Rauter would be awesome. Or even bring in someone like Mike Toth, he was a good fill in for Mccown on primetime sports a few years ago. They just need someone with a bit for weight, otherwise they are never going to stand a chance. And, for the record Mike Richards is still unlistenable.