Should The Blue Jays Extend John Farrell?

By TSM

“Except that’s really not the answer. What the Blue Jays should have done by now is told Farrell they want to extend his contract by two more years. If he doesn’t want to do it? Move on. Get somebody else.”

That from Jeff Blair in the Globe and Mail.

Blair raises some interesting points as the Blue Jays head into Boston with their manager about to enter, gulp, the last year of his contract. The ill fated, in sports only, lame duck coach.

The foes say that Farrell hasn’t done much in the term he hasn’t been here.

The pros say that he has done as well as could be expected under the circumstances.

The cynics say, Ron Wilson got extended, how the hell do you not extend Farrell.

Despite some tongue in cheek, I think Blair raises an interesting point, would Farrell sign the extension if given the opportunity. Perhaps the Jays have asked and he punted. I don’t know. I suspect only a few people do.

The Blue Jays brass strike me as being people people and as such they will take care of their man if he is what they want.

So Blue Jays fans, would you extend him?

I don’t know about you, but I am exhausted keeping up with all the coverage of the ongoing negotiations in the NHL CBA talks.

mike in boston
mike in boston
September 7, 2012 8:20 am

i’m with Hayhurst on this: you have to give him a pass on his 1st year since he was a rookie, and you probably have to give him a pass on this year because of the injuries. we don’t really know who he is as a manager yet. He’s neither impressed nor disappointed so far, or, he’s probably done an equivalent amount of each.

so, if Boston will give you something good — like a starter or a B+ prospect — then make that deal. Anything short of that, you offer to extend him for 3 years and if he turns it down then let him play out the deal and see how next year goes. This organization has plenty of money and if they need to fire him in 2014 with 2 years left on a deal, then it’s not that big of an issue.

Darrell
Darrell
September 7, 2012 9:28 am

I think whatever happens in Toronto, depends on whatever happens in Boston. If this weekend – Toronto wins 2 out of 3 or 3 of 3 in Boston, you would have to think Bobby Valentine is out as manager.

Should the Jays extend Farrell? I honestly say no. Yes he has done a great job this season, despite all the injuries. Last year they had no excuses of injuries and they were exactly .500 (81-81).

If I were Toronto – I’d try and entice Boston to trade a position player or two for John Farrell (if they want him that bad?). I would let the season play out – as managers are axed during each winter and see who’s out there? If there’s someone you like outside the organization that’s better – go get him. If you can’t get him signed to replace Farrell – you still have another season ahead in 2013.

cam
cam
September 7, 2012 10:02 am

What’s to say that the Jays have not offered the extension and it hasn’t been accepted? I am not sure how you can realistically evaluate Farrell at this point. If he does not want to stay, then see if you can get something for him and bring in another more experienced manager like – say- Francona?

I have no idea if Francona is the right guy or even interested in managing again, but in my opinion it would be an interesting story line. There might be some interest on his part in besting the Sox through the Jays. Anyway, I tend to think there is far less attachment to the manager in the fan base than the pundits appear to be painting.

Derrick
Derrick
September 7, 2012 10:24 am

It’s easy to judge a manager on the performance of the team at the major league level, but the best managers implement a code of conduct or a philosophy of how the organization does things or plays baseball from Single A to the majors. Look at the Twins (when they were playing well) and the Rays. Kids from the minors would quickly fill a major league roster and do it well because the direction was the same throughout the entire organization.
It’s way too early to judge what kind of job Farrell is doing in that respect (or if he even is doing that job), but I would really like some stability on that position. I like John, so I hope he stays. Also, it would be nice for him to come out and say “I like where this team is going, I like the organization, and I want to stay”. It would justify some of the faith i have in the team.

Neal
Neal
September 7, 2012 12:20 pm

You leave it in Boston’s court because they know John Farrell is under contract here for one year. What if they are not interested and this is just another made up maelstrom in the Boston media? If they are interested, they’ll talk to the Jays to see if they can speak to Farrell. That’s the point of where the Jays start the ball rolling. They can say no and re-up Farrell at that point or start working on a compensation package with Boston.

Neal
Neal
September 7, 2012 2:24 pm

…continuing from my previous post…if Boston fires Valentine at some point during this weekend or at the end of it, I think the Jays should extend Farrell by at least another year and put the screws to the Red Sox and force them into total panic mode managerial-wise.

robjan
robjan
September 7, 2012 10:31 pm

Mike in Boston says to give him a pass…who? Burke? AA? Beeston? Anselmi? random Argo exec? Kessel? Lind? Romero? Reimer? Amazing how much leeway the local teams are given, considering the obvious horrendousness of the teams over the last decades