Toronto Sports Media Weekend Poll

By TSM

Happy weekend, short but sweet, if toronto could get another sports team what league would you want?? In othet words, NFL or a second NHL team?

Neal
Neal
September 8, 2012 11:55 am

AAA baseball. Open air field; cheap tickets. If Ottawa can support a minor league team, why not Toronto, Mississauga, Vaughan, or Markham?

ticky13
ticky13
September 8, 2012 12:05 pm

As a somewhat newcomer to Toronto/Canada, can someone explain to me how Toronto doesn’t already have a second NHL team? If LA can have two, and NY has three (basically), how can the biggest hockey city in North America still be stuck with one?

And, it’s never going to happen, but an NFL team would be amazing.

Syn
September 8, 2012 12:33 pm

NFL. As long as they get their own stadium in 2 or 3 years.

Slim Whitman
Slim Whitman
September 8, 2012 1:13 pm

Well,NHL there really has not been one in Toronto for the last 40+ years.

mike in boston
mike in boston
September 8, 2012 2:13 pm

weird moment on Cybluski’s show when they had Shulman on recently. They played him the clip of Bobby Valentine melting down during his weekly interview on WEEI. The host, Glen Ordway, asked if he had checked out on the season, and Bobby V freaked out on him.

Shulman said that this was a cheap question and he had no idea who the host was, but this was just a guy trying to make a name for himself and it was bad journalism.

The weird part about it is that Ordway’s show is one of the top 10 ranked radio shows in the entire country, and he has been a finalist for a National Association of Broadcasters Marconi award. In other words, he is an established journalist/interviewer and is one of the more recognizable non-syndicated hosts in the country. Shulman has been working in the US for years now. I’m surprised he doesn’t know who Ordway is.

Brian Gerstein
September 8, 2012 2:25 pm

NFL all the way. I have no idea how anybody can possibly answer otherwise.

September 8, 2012 3:46 pm

I find the whole 2nd NHL team or NFL team coming to Toronto pretty fascinating.

If either actually happened, it would be really interesting to see what the ripple effects of it would be on the Toronto sports scene.

I think I would prefer an NFL team. It would be great to have a home team to root for. And we already have the NHL here.

But, I think a 2nd NHL team is more likely, based on the speculation we read.

September 8, 2012 3:54 pm
Reply to  mike in boston

I too would be surprised if Shulman doesn’t know who he is……………I’m sure Shulman was just trying to stick up for his buddy Bobby V, who he worked with in the television booth for many years on ESPN

Darrell
Darrell
September 9, 2012 1:18 pm

NFL. Currently not an NFL fan, at all, but a team in Toronto would peak my interest into the NFL style of play. Would definitely need a bigger stadium or construction done to the mistake by the lake (Rogers Centre).

Mike C.
Mike C.
September 9, 2012 5:52 pm

I’m gonna go with NFL team. Toronto has needed a NFL franchise for well over 30 years at least. I’m sorry but the CFL is not a real viable option for football fans. Its a joke and I dont understand why so many “Football Insiders” in this market talk about the CFL ad nauseam. Nobody gives a you know what about that league in this city. We need a NFL team. Preferably they would play at a “new stadium” and not that concrete jungle known as the “Rogers Centre”……
I’m sure Sportsnet and the Rogers broadcasters would be all for getting a NFL team??? Maybe the people over at Bell who run TSN don’t want the NFL here until the deal with the CFL expires for television rights???? not sure…
I heard that interview as well with ESPN Baseball Play By Play Caller/Thornhill Native Dan Shulman on Cybulski & Company w/James Cybulski and Bob Mackowycz on TSN Radio 1050 last week. All 3 agreed that the host ambushed Bobby Valentine with the question. I heard the interview and thought it was pretty lame. Valentine has done a crap job managing Boston but the real issue is that GM Ben Cherrington should be canned not Bobby V.