The Return Of Bill Watters To Fan 590

By TSM

Well, well, well, what’s this I hear? Bill Watters is going to be on with Bob McCown and PTS tomorrow night as a member of the Friday night roundtable, who would have thunk it!

Wilbur was a regular on the Fan in years past, way past, but then he became not only the enemy of the station, but the enemy of PTS, going head to head with McCown directly. Kind of funny that while he isn’t joining the Fan as a host, but he jumps back to the station where his last two co-hosts now live, Greg Brady and Jeff Marek.

No matter what you think of Wilbur, it will be good radio tomorrow.

Speaking of good radio, if you want to listen to something good, listen to Glen Healy on PTS with Brunt and McCown. It seems that Healy has finally grown up. He is no longer carrying the NHLPA torch irrespective of the issue. He offered some really good, unbiased opinions and insight into where the talks are and why. Healy, called the NHLPA’s Quebec lawsuit white noise. He said that the PA shouldn’t be looking into issues like how many or what executives are paid. More so he actually said there are ridiculous contracts in the game. Clearly this isn’t your father’s Glen Healy.

You want to read something truly fascinating on the whole CBA stuff?

“During one tense NHLPA conference call, Larry Murphy, the Penguins’ player rep, was taken to task for suggesting he liked the sound of the owners’ latest proposal. “Hey, Murph, where’s your balls?” McSorley barked. “I don’t think with my balls, Marty,” was the retort.”

That from Jonathon Gatehouse’s new book, he Instigator: How Gary Bettman Remade the League and Changed the Game Forever, an excerpt can be found on MacLeans.

Please tell me you aren’t going to spend your Friday night watching either Sportsnet or TSN countdown to the lockout specials. Honestly, you value your time more than that right? Seriously, go watch a high school sporting event. Spend time with a loved one, your kids, read a book, or excercise. Hell, maybe the CFL draft is being replayed or something.

Happy Friday

Alex
Alex
September 14, 2012 5:28 am

hopefully, the roundtable won’t have Cox on to try and steal attention.

Justin K
September 14, 2012 7:53 am

So excited for Wilbur’s return. I’ve always fan of his, not always of his opinions, but of his personality on air. Sports on AM 640 was silly, but on the tv side Sportsnet made a mistake by letting him go.

mike in boston
mike in boston
September 14, 2012 8:45 am

congrats to all the posters here who called this months ago.

Does any think Watters can add any insight to the current debate on the CBA? People here were calling him out of date and out of touch during his last years on the radio. Is there a reason to think he has improved during his sojourn?

Watters is a card carrying FOB, so I expect a lot of old-man jokes, talk about Watters’ ratings over at 640, and general dumbfuckery. I eagerly await Ami’s review, though I hope she gets paid extra for this one.

p.s. – if anyone is looking for a good listening, Bob’s interview with Brian Billick re: Art Modell was excellent radio.

Darrell
Darrell
September 14, 2012 1:43 pm

I like Bill Watters being on and while he is somewhat of a krusty, old dude – he doesn’t kiss up to MLSE and the Leaf management. That being said it could be due to sour grapes about him being ousted, but it is an absolute breath of fresh air.
I wonder – if Bill Watters is brought onto the radio full-time again?
If Wilbur goes to the morning show and replaces Jim Lang or Mike Farwell (teaming up with Greg Brady again) – dare I say it? Watters teaming up with Greg Brady – could that possibly and hopefully push Greg Brady off the FAN 590? Here’s hoping.
Another funny thought is I wonder if they would ever consider putting Bill Watters with…… Jeff Blair! LOL! LOL! I am not against Jeff Blair, but I am not entirely a fan of his either but those two together??? May as well throw Andrew Krystal back and make the Jeff Blair Show ——– “The Three Stooges”.

September 14, 2012 2:26 pm

I didn’t listen to the Watters show much, but I remember on the day McCown claimed that Sidney Crosby was considering retirement (or his family was pushing him to… whatever it was) Watters absolutely tore into McCown on his show for a good five minutes. Ripped McCown’s book, said he knew nothing about hockey. Got kind of personal. Actually it wasn’t even good radio. Just seemed like a guy that was bitter and resentful.

Guess they patched it up!

September 14, 2012 2:28 pm
Reply to  Darrell

The Fan has really shifted to a younger voice in the last couple years, so I feel like Watters wouldn’t really be a fit anywhere. Maybe as a guy who can drop in on roundtables etc.

(Having said that, I’d probably take him over Lang)

Capn2patch
Capn2patch
September 14, 2012 11:30 pm

Like it or not, Wilbur does carry an audience with him from 640. I expect we will be seeing more of him.

mpdman
mpdman
September 15, 2012 7:18 am

I thought Wilbur was pretty good value. As per usual, he was wrong with most of his statements, but was loud and blustery an entertaining as he defended himself.
You could tell Brunt thinks Bill’s an idgit.
It was not the usual round table love-in.
Hope he’s on more often.

TheBusiness
TheBusiness
September 15, 2012 7:54 pm

Bill Watters doesn’t make for good radio, he makes for headaches. He makes for turning down the volume, or killing the podcast, as I just did. He’s like an older version of Andrew Krystal: loud, opinionated and uninformed. I’m sure he’s a fine fellow in person but the longer it takes for Bill’s next appearance, the better it’ll be for the listenership. That was just awful stuff.

TheBusiness
TheBusiness
September 15, 2012 7:55 pm
Reply to  Alex

I like Damian. I think he holds Bob’s feet to the fire, I think he’s informed and I like the way he challenges conventional thinking.

TheBusiness
TheBusiness
September 15, 2012 7:58 pm
Reply to  Darrell

Greg Brady is awesome. I really worried when he came over to The Fan, but he really won me over. The dude knows his stuff cold, he’s whip fast and he’s funny. Frankly, I think he’d be better off solo in the mornings, though Farwell seems to be coming along nicely. Bill Watters is another matter, he’s just not ready for radio any longer. The days of shouting out ill-informed opinion are long past us, the standard for radio has greatly increased.

TheBusiness
TheBusiness
September 15, 2012 8:02 pm
Reply to  mpdman

Agreed – Brunt and Shoalts clearly thought he’d lost his mind. Folks, Bill Watters adds no value. He competes with McCown’s shtick but doesn’t have the charisma or the insight to make a go of it. Seriously hope this is the last we see of him. As I said above, I’m sure he’s a fine fellow. But he destroyed Friday’s Round Table. For the first time literally in years I stopped listening to PTS. Bah.