By Ami Angelwings
4pm hour – Bob McCown hosting
First segment: Talk segment with Tim Micallef and Sid Seixeiro, hosts of Tim & Sid, FAN590
- Sid talks about his experiences filming the pilot of Bob’s TV show, Vroom, yesterday
Rest of hour: Listener calls with Bob McCown
- Calls are about the NHL lockout and the Blue Jays
5pm hour – Bob McCown hosting, Stephen Brunt co-hosting
First segment: Talk segment
- Bob and Brunt talk about Bob’s current quest to find a league to donate a trophy to
- Discussion about Don Cherry’s comments on Kadri, Brunt thinks it makes no sense for the Leafs to sabotage Kadri’s success
- Discussion about the AL MVP race, Brunt thinks Cabrera should win because of the Triple Crown, Bob wonders if you can win the Triple Crown if you’re tied in a category
Second segment: Interview with Rob Becker, sports lawyer
- Bob asks whether or not Lance Armstrong can be sued for violating the morals clauses of his sponsors, Becker discusses the possibilities
- Bob asks whether he can be sued for fraud if a company claims that him lying about cheating has harmed their reputation, Becker says it’s possible but it’s never been done
Third segment: Interview with Stan Kasten, President of the LA Dodgers
- Kasten doesn’t like the 1 game playoff format in the first round of the MLB playoffs, Brunt thinks it creates more excitement because winning the division becomes more important
6pm hour – Bob McCown hosting, Stephen Brunt co-hosting
First segment: Interview with Don Cherry, host of Coach’s Corner, CBC
- Cherry says he doesn’t like that Dallas Eakins called out Kadri in the media, thinks it shouldn’t be done in public
- Cherry thinks Ron Wilson mishandled James Reimer by bringing him back from injury in Boston
- Cherry thinks Burke is gone if he doesn’t make the playoffs
- Bob rants at Brunt & Cherry for fish murdering
Second segment: Interview with Jon Paul Morosi, baseball reporter for FOX Sports
- Morosi believes Cabrera should win the AL MVP because he’s been essential to the Tigers’ playoff run
Third segment: Interview with Alex Anthopolous, general manager of the Toronto Blue Jays
- Anthopolous thinks Cabrera should win the AL MVP
- Brunt asks if Anthopolous can say unequivocally that John Farrell will be the Blue Jays manager in 2013, Anthopolous says yes, Brunt rephrases the question and Anthopolous says that crazy things could always happen but Farrell will be manager in 2013
- Bob asks if Anthopolous has talked contract extension with Farrell yet, he says no
- Anthopolous says that last time Bob and Brunt hung up on him and then claimed he hung up on them
- Brunt asked if the Jays are ahead of where they were before, Anthopolous says that organizationally they’re ahead even though their win/loss record is worse
I’m amazed by how everybody is acting like the one game wild card playoff making winning your division more important is an unexpected thing nobody saw coming. I know at least Wilner mentioned it when the one game playoff was first proposed, and so have various callers and media people. A lot of people back then said “if you want to avoid your season coming down to one game, win your division”, so I’m shocked people didn’t see this coming.
As I recall, Anthopolous’ phone disconnected on Bob and Brunt during their last interview (about the suspension of Escobar) and they tried to get him back but he had another interview and there was no more time on the show for him. Bob and Brunt never said that Anthopolous hung up on them, and nobody has ever suggested that, so I don’t know where Alex got that idea from. In his typical Alex fashion, he was trying to sound diplomatic, but it sounds like he wasn’t happy about his last appearance on PTS.
I notice that Cherry never actually addressed his criticisms of the way the Leafs handled Kadri and instead tried to make it all about Dallas Eakins making public statements, and trying to frame it as some sort of character flaw of Eakins’. In his typical folksy way, Cherry avoided actually making points to back up his claims and instead acted as if it was just so obvious that he’s right.
I completely believe Tim when he says Sid’s scared of Bob. Or at least, I believe he’s intimidated to some degree. Both he and Tim are very deferential when they’re on PTS and especially when they’re on the roundtables, and both seem to stop sharing their expertise on sports and instead go into silly joke mode.
Becker’s interview was very interesting, and I always like hearing him comment about legal issues. I like that he admitted that Bob actually raised a good point about the possibility of a fraud lawsuit.
I wonder who Bob will ultimately choose as the league that gets the Bobcat Bowl? Does Toronto have any Jai alai leagues? I know Bob’s revealed his interest and knowledge of that sport in the past. How about the Bobcat Bowl is awarded yearly to the top Jai alai team in Canada?
Photo available here